Grande Cheese Company Employee Reviews

Busy, Challenging
Manager (Former Employee) –  Juda, WIJuly 17, 2018
There is a lot of great opportunity for progression but there is a disconnect between the mission and culture set by the company and the way the managers execute those objectives.
Wonderful Environment to Work in
Internship HR Wellness (Current Employee) –  Fond du Lac, WIJune 22, 2018
The owner really values his Associates. The internship program is outstanding, giving me a real insight into different corporate roles within a corporate company.
Hard work pays well
Sanitation Worker (Current Employee) –  Rubicon, WIJune 12, 2018
These is a manual labor place to work at. It’s fast placed and requires a lot of bending and lifting but it pays well. I worked there 4 1/2 years and advance pretty well.
Mismanaged and unprofessional
Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Juda, WIApril 29, 2018
Mismanagement and unprofessional HR department, managers and supervision.

Add to this poor sanitation, consistently found mold and unsanitary conditions, high employee turnover, favoritism for 'special friends & family' and the worst managers ever seen from the Freeport IL Exodus gives the worst facility I've ever seen.

Stay away, it's not worth it from a health, safety or state of mind perspective.
Pros
Discount on products
Cons
Poor management, nepotism, deceitful management, unprofessional HR, hostile & unsafe working environment
good job and good pay, poor management tactics
Production Generalist 3 (Former Employee) –  Wyocena, WIApril 19, 2018
really a good job but don't expect to be listened to all that well. management is stuck in their ways despite an 80-90% turnover rate. lots of physical work but your hours will probably differ from what you're told.
Extremely repetitive
Quality Control - Lab Tech 1 (Former Employee) –  Brownsville, WIApril 3, 2018
This job was extremely repetitive and some would say made you brain dead. The tasks they wold give the lab techs to do in the down time were more like busy work so other employees wouldn't complain about lab techs down time. Their isn't much responsibility until you learn the downstairs lab which can take awhile since this company has high turnover in the lab area. I worked their for nine months and should have been trained on the downstairs lab. Employees are also responsible for picking up the slack when it goes and gets tough. Management is pretty absent. If their is a problem, the employees take care of it, not the managers.

It also takes forever to get something done. From simple to complex things that the employees need, it never seems to be a priority to the managers. The employees that have been there a long time tend to strong arm the new employees or the managers that are at a younger age.

There is a lot of blaming and pointing fingers in the lab at Grande which creates an unpleasant work environment.

The pay for this position is very generous but that is just about the only perk for this job other than job security, there isn't much growth either.
Pros
Job security and good pay
Cons
Management, job responsibilities and work environment
Organization changes were challenging to work with/for.
Director of Manufacturing (Former Employee) –  Juda, WIFebruary 12, 2018
No comment due to organizational agreements. Cultural and management changes made the work environment challenging and non-productive. Employee satisfaction deteriorated.
Pros
No comment
Cons
No comment
Fun environment, great co-workers
Lab Assistant (Current Employee) –  Juda, WIFebruary 12, 2018
The company truly seems to care about their workers. We got Christmas bonuses, and several gift cards, and a xmas party. But, the 12 hour shifts are brutal. 12 hours of non-stop extremely fast paced work. It is difficult to be away from family while working 36 hours every other weekend. It is very hard on your body.
Pros
On-site clinic, cheese discounts, fun co-workers
Cons
Exhausting schedule, 12 hour shifts
Bad harmful work
Sanitation Technician (Former Employee) –  Rubicon, WiFebruary 6, 2018
I had torn apart all cheese making equipment each day. I would then clean each part with caustics or acids depending on what I was cleaning. Then I would assemble the machines back together.
It also including cleaning each room from floor to ceiling.
Pros
LOTS of work
Cons
Dangerous
Would have never left
Maintenance Technician-PSM Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Juda, WIDecember 3, 2017
Typical day at Grande was always enjoyable, for I never knew what was coming next for a breakdown. This is where it all started for me and I feel I learned the most from this company compared to any out there. I founded my fundamentals here. Management was decent here, from what I know now. The work place culture was phenomenal! Everyone, for the most part, got a long and made the day easier to get through. The hardest part of the job was either getting up at 0 dark 30 or not getting home until the sun came up. IF I NEVER GOT ANOTHER JOB OFFER THAT WAS SO SUBSTANTIALLY BETTER PAY I WOULD HAVE NEVER LEFT.
Pros
Culture, Team mentaility
Competitive pay, fast paced, stressful
Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Juda, WINovember 2, 2017
This company was very fast paced and the pay was great. You had to come in and get ready to work right away. I learned how to operate different equipment and how to make minor repairs. The work was hard, stressful, and very physical. Management could have been better.
Pros
Competitive pay, good benefits
Cons
Not flexible, management could be better.
Great team atmosphere, rewarding work, plenty of opportunities to be had
Production/Warehouse/Casing (Former Employee) –  Brownsville, WISeptember 1, 2017
I enjoyed working for the Grande Cheese company. It is no doubt a company that will give back to you what ever you put into it. I learned about the processes involved with making fresh mozzarella cheese, which in turn brought me to doing quite a few different jobs around the plant. Teamwork was a huge thing there. It never felt like one department was separate from the rest, but more like all areas from production to packaging to the casing warehouse were all on the same page to make sure that the best quality product made it onto the truck at the end of the day. I'd say the most difficult job there was working the production floor. That area was the most physically demanding out of any of the departments in the plant, but I always went home feeling like it was a job well done.
Pros
The work felt rewarding, everybody worked together, get to sample fresh cheese any time
Cons
Some jobs were physically difficult, long hours, went home smelling like mozzarella every day
good job
wharehouse worker (Current Employee) –  Friendship, WIJuly 24, 2017
This job is great for someone who doesn't like working with the public. I do. the 12 hr shifts are my biggest issue. I am very much involved in my community and working here makes that difficult.
Pros
days off
Cons
12 hr shift
The money was great
Packer (Former Employee) –  Juda, WIMay 15, 2017
The money was awesome, and having to work 180 days a year is nice. I personally didnt like the rotating shifts. It never let your body get use to it. I also think the people are in such a competition to out do and correct each other it makes the work life miserable. The company itself isnt bad and I would have stayed if i had different team members.
Pros
near home
Cons
people
Decent job for a rew years
Curd process (Former Employee) –  Rubicon, WIApril 24, 2017
Lots of overtime. Lack of advancement unless you're a career dairy guy. Management was mediocre at best, one manager complained of his job like everyone else. It's physical work with early hours but could be good for the right person.
Pros
Overtime, cheese discounts, ok pay
Cons
Physically and mentally draining, repetitive
Great Company to work for
Quality Resource Analyst/ SQF Practitioner (Former Employee) –  Brownsville, WIFebruary 12, 2017
The overall environment was excellent- you really did feel appreciated. Fun people, energetic atmosphere. Everyone showed a great commitment to produce quality products. There was a huge family - like mentality.
Pros
Friendly people
Cons
Advancement is challenging
Nice company to work for.
Package Handler (Former Employee) –  Brownsville, WIJanuary 3, 2017
Very good job to work for very good benefits very nice people awesome pay job security room to move up great pay.A lot of overtime.Alsome hours nice location.
Pros
A lot of overtime
Cons
At times they want you to work too much.
There is a TV in the break room and no body fights over the remote.
Package associate (Current Employee) –  Fond du Lac, WIDecember 19, 2016
The hardest part of my job to be honest is dealing with the floor lead. He treats everyone like they are stupid. He constantly talks down to you and makes you feel like the smallest person in the world. It doesn't matter if you are doing the job right or wrong he always complains no matter what. He is not a people person and I do not understand how or why he got a leader position. I would like to transfer to a different department, but unfortunately no other jobs are available, so I made the choice to leave and find a better job for me.
Lack of advancement and security
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  WisconsinNovember 1, 2016
Worked there for 5+ years, acquired lots of skills but always turned down for any advancement, candidates with seniority rather than skill were selected. Non union shop, but seniority means a lot to them. Quick to fire anyone, not a secure place, if you make waves with management, they will find a reason to end your employment. Did make some amazing friends in my time there.
Pros
Cheese at cost
Cons
Poor management all the way around
An exciting and productive work place
Maintenance Manager (Current Employee) –  Wyocena, WISeptember 30, 2015
A typical day starts at 4:30 am and begins with a brief meeting with my team. Questions are asked on what happened how was it resolved,can it be prevented.
Then the shift is directed to the days duties.
Work on project management plans for capital appropriation requests either for this year or for the strategic long term plam which is 4 years out.
Confer with Plant manager and quality manager as well as team managers and cheese makers. Asking questions on the processes for the day.
Contractor meetings with or without Engineering support.
Meetings with vendors as required.
Perhaps will need to discuss a behavioral issue with associate or discuss the next weeks job plans with the planner/scheduler.
Many trips through out the facility to see first hand how all operations are running.
Discuss with the corporate group process/continuous improvement and new mandated programs or policies.
If regulatory arrive on site assist the managers in the various audits.
Generally finish the day planning the next's days responsibilities and projects. Home by 4:00 pm
Pros
Allowed autonomy to think out of the box.
Cons
Slow response time of decision makers.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Grande Cheese Company. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about