Grandma's Bakery Employee Reviews

Casual and friendly environment, but lacks a supportive management team.
Retail Sales (Former Employee) –  White Bear LakeJune 14, 2019
Initially this job was great. Hours are early but pretty flexible which gives a decent work/life balance for the early riser/mid-afternoon worker. Co-workers were wonderful people and there are a couple of wonderful ladies in the management team responsible for the retail side of things and hiring that make it very welcoming when taking the job.
Be warned, however. There are cameras everywhere making you feel very belittled and untrustworthy. The amount of waste produced in the factory is unsettling at times, perfection is important, but its a lot to waste. And the bakers/factory workers are expected to stay up to 12 hrs at times, without being asked, to finish production. Working the retail side, seeing a bakery case with no back enclosure and lack of assistive instruments and products to clean efficiently was disturbing. There is no system of storage for bakery items....so at night cookies just sit on their trays, uncovered...that is just highly unsatisfying to me.
Also, if you quit whether it be expected or unexpected, be prepared to feel scolded like a child by the HR representative...this occured to me and a couple others I know and made my outlook on the company way worse than when I decided to leave in the first place.
Overall, I would only recommend the work to someone who had the stomach to handle the stresses of workplace stagnation and occasional long hours.
It’s a pretty decent job it’s just .. it wasn’t enough pay nor team work barley had any hours as well !.
Cashier/Cook (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNApril 18, 2019
Reasoning why I left was because, they’re wasn’t enough pay for a lot of work . Also not enough team work
I cooked and clean and also did package handling with shipping off food to local grocery stores .
Pros
Great clientele
Cons
Not enough team work
Customer service
Customer Associate/Barista (Former Employee) –  White Bear Lake, MNApril 10, 2019
Provided customer service and created customer relationships. I served the customers food and also made coffee. I served the customers with the upmost respect and provided quality service
It was fun but really warm
Packager (Former Employee) –  White Bear Lake, MNApril 7, 2019
Building has no air conditioning and is always 15 to 20 degrees warmer. Other then that the people and owners where fantastic and fun to work with and they take care of their employees.
a day at grandmas
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  White Bear Lake, MNJanuary 7, 2019
frosting donuts, decorating cookies, clean the work area, packaging the product, mixing the whipped cream, finishing the sweets and cleaning the utensils.
Pros
a good place to work, great co-workers
Cons
managers not well organized.
Ive learned a few things
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Maplewood, MNNovember 21, 2018
How tho work a credit card machine old school easy and new school how to operate the work machines. I learned how to open and close the retail part I also learned how to make cakes and cookies
Pros
Paid breaks
Cons
Bit enough pay
Asked to do too much
Driver (Former Employee) –  White bear lakeAugust 22, 2018
Was formerly a driver. Never know how many stops or how much product to deliver until show up at work. Management sits back while drivers do the grunt work. Management always emailing drivers when they need to rest for next nights shift. Can’t it wait? It’s that important? No raises in two years there. Management wants product deliver no matter what’s the weather ( blizzard, flood, natural disaster) because they says it a food product
Pros
Good equipment to drive
Cons
GPS so they track where your going and speed. Management emails you for petty matters
Comfortable and inviting workplace
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYFebruary 28, 2018
I have dealt with great coworkers and a very kind boss who is always looking out for our best interests. Very flexible job. Learned how to work at a fast pace and improved my customer service skills immensely.
Fun and exciting work environment
Retail Staff and Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  White Bear Lake, MNSeptember 7, 2017
Grandma's Bakery is a very exciting place to work, the people are wonderful and the environment is supportive. No two days are ever the same at Grandma's which makes each day new and exciting.
People are great management sucks
Baker (Current Employee) –  White Bear Lake, MNJune 8, 2017
People here are awesome but the lack of communication is horrible you dont ever know anything until the last minute then you have to scramble aroumd until your caught up
Pros
Free doughnuts and bread
Cons
Poor management
Was not my favorite job to work at!
Packager (Former Employee) –  White Bear Lake, MNApril 3, 2017
I did not enjoy working here very much. The hours are late hours from 4-8, depending on the season (sometimes you are stuck there until 10 or 11). I like to be able to go to work knowing when I will actually be able to leave that night!
I cooked cleaned and prepare food
Baker and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Monroe, LADecember 27, 2016
I really liked having an oppurtunity to work at this job learning how to bake cakes and cookies and prepare food,my co workers where very nice,there really wasnt any hard part of the job I loved everything about it
just a great place to eat, not work behind the sences
Manager (Former Employee) –  Lake Elsinore, CADecember 4, 2012
work more then 12 hour shifts plus overtime and not see a single dime of that money!!!!
family owned business although I am immediate family it did not benefit me working there because of the pay and no time for myself to try and return back to school or even maintain my own apartment
cant say there were many workers when i do work there im pretty much on my own because they know i can handle the work load, which was my mistake...the hardest part was missing out on activities and concerts when i had the money to attend but no days off.
Pros
all food was free for me
Cons
pay!!!!!!!