Granite City Food & Brewery Employee Reviews

Great company
Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Fargo, NDAugust 19, 2018
Great food, fellow workers, flexible, and great managements. flexible hours, good pay. and that good vibes. great waiters, and waitresses. there is someone always there to help.
Competetive and High Energy Workplace
Server/Waiteress (Current Employee) –  Fargo, NDJuly 3, 2018
Granite City is a great company with some amazing food! The atmosphere is fun and so are the people who work here. I enjoy being a waitress here. I get all the hours that I need but they also over-schedule me. Being scheduled outside of my availability is a normal issues and that can be very frustrating. Overall, Granite City is a fun place to work and we always do fun competitions for prizes!
Pros
GC Bucks (money towards employee food)
Cons
Poor Scheduling
Server/Busser/Host
Server/Busser/Host (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDJuly 1, 2018
It was a good job to have, it gave you the freedom to have a normal life at the same time as having a full-time job, and they would work with you to accommodate any scheduling or legal issues you might have.
Being a leader
Restaurant Hostess (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJune 17, 2018
I had a fun experience working at granite city as my first job, it was hard to do anything expect the to-go on the computer. I learned how to be responsible and caring to others.
Pros
Stand there look pretty, walk around to check for clean tables
Cons
Can’t eat in the host stand, no sitting down
Great place to work If you want to cook.
Cook/Prep (Current Employee) –  Northville, MIJune 8, 2018
Management is very relaxed but shifts to work mode when the orders start coming in. I really enjoy working at granite city however I learned cooking is no longer something I consider a career. Workplace culture is pretty comical, everyone's just trying to get through the day and they lighten any stress with humor. The most enjoyable part of the job is just chatting with co workers while doing any side work there is. The hardest part of the job would be holidays when its most busy.
Pros
Free lunch, Great management, Advancement Opportunity
AMAZING... for a restaurant gig
HOST, SERVER (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJune 6, 2018
As far as restaurants go, this is the very best environment i could hope for. The managers are very laid back and will work with you to help you when you need it. They also notice when you go above and beyond to help others and will reward you for your efforts.
fun and fast paced
expoditer (Current Employee) –  FargoJune 3, 2018
working here was a great way to get an introduction into the restraint industry. they took in several inexperienced employees and allowed them to grow and develop in their own right
Horrible
Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Troy, MIMay 29, 2018
The food is great the manager they're hypocrites and I think one of the managers is cheating with an employee they're not leaders they just walk around
Pros
Food
Great people, chaotic management
Server/Bartender/Trainer (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEMay 26, 2018
The GM only cares about herself and her own interests and therefore the staff has an incredibly high turnover rate. The restaurant as a corporation isn't so bad, but the environment in store is dependent on management. The restaurant itself is crumbling to the point where it is embarrassing as we have to make excuses to guests for smells and messes all throughout just due to blatant lack of maintenance. Kitchen is very slow commonly offering 30 plus minute ticket times. On average I have 2 full meals purchased for guests by management per shift due to overtime tickets or general guest dissatisfaction.
Pros
Cons
No breaks, low pay, low tips
Decent Money For Tough work
Server/Host (Current Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDMay 15, 2018
Incredibly fast paced work environment that often becomes overwhelming. Very Extensive menu with features that change constantly as well as tons of special drinks that have to be memorized. often understaffed which leaves you sometimes waiting on 8-12 tables including large parties. decent mgmt. but very high turnover rate. If your a professional food server you'll make some decent cash but anyone with less than 4-5 years experience should be weary of applying.
Pros
Food discounts
Cons
Long hours, No breaks, Overwhelming amount of tables
OK place to work
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Eagan, MNMay 11, 2018
I worked at Granite City for 10 months as a hostess and was promised advancement opportunities, but they were never offered. I was often over-scheduled and found it hard to balance work and school. Management was OK, depending on which manager was working. There seemed to be a lot of miscommunication among the managers. The best part of the job was getting to know the regulars and seeing them excited when I remembered them.
Pros
Friendly customers
Cons
Short breaks, management, scheduling conflicts
Company on the Rise
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAApril 30, 2018
Great Company working hard to make the company grow. Great initiatives and focus on moving the people, restaurant and financials into a better place. Great upper management.
Granite City
Server (Current Employee) –  Maple Grove, MNApril 10, 2018
Management is very biased and it's difficult to want to succeed in the company. There is no incentive for good working employees. The managers don't seem to care for their employees.
Fast paced environment
Host (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHApril 2, 2018
Fast paced environment, must be able to function on your feet for a long period of time. Overall great customer service and amazing food. Hardest part of the job was finding each customer a table in a timely fashion.
Good concept, poorly ran.
Assistant General Manager/Kitchen Manager (Former Employee) –  Orland Park, ILMarch 27, 2018
The concept of Granite City is great. The execution is what’s left to be desired. I am not sure any other store had experienced the lack of support and the overall bleak culture as this particular store cultivated.
Pros
Decent hours and quality of life
Cons
Just about everything else
Challenging. Fun, exciting.
Indianapolis (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INFebruary 20, 2018
It was fun and exciting seeing a crowd in the restaurant in events and games day and helping with cleaning and taking dishware to kitchen was interesting when seeing people having very good time in that restaurant.
Pros
Having discount in meals
Cons
Less benefits
Great Dining/Well Run Restraunt
Server/Wait staff (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAFebruary 19, 2018
Excellent management, from scratch kitchen makes great food. Great service and staff make for an above average dinning experience. Great place to work.
Scratch Kitchen and Craft Brewery
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIFebruary 11, 2018
Granite City is a fun place to work and there is always something to do. We made all of our food from scratch and hand crafted our beer. The best part was taking care of our guests, whom we treated like family.
Pros
Great pay and vacations time
Cons
The Wisconsin location closed
Over worked, horrible scheduling
Kitchen Manager (Former Employee) –  Maple Grove, MNFebruary 5, 2018
Wouldn't get schedule for following week until the day before week started. Required to attend a weekly management meeting even if it falls on your only day off that week. Sometimes would be scheduled to close and the open the next day. That would mean leave at 2am and return at 6am same day. I was written up after this schedule was given to me for getting there at 6:05am on 3hrs sleep.
it was a fun place to work
Server (Former Employee) –  Eagan, MNJanuary 29, 2018
It was a valuable work experience. I learned a lot about brewing beer, customer service, and myself. in fact, beer knowledge is required and tested, to ensure a good experience for the guests. The chef works hard on a hand crafted menu, incorporating the beer brewed on site into the food. There is a wonderful brunch served every Sunday. People come from all over to have it.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Granite City Food & Brewery. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

1.6InHerSight Score

1.6Personal Development

2.1Career Opportunities

1.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight