Granite Construction Inc Employee Reviews

Amazing company and amazing people
OFFICE ADMINISTRATOR II (Current Employee) –  Bakersfield, CADecember 9, 2018
I have worked for Granite all total for 16 years. I started as a receptionist and have held multiple positions throughout my time here. Granite even helped pay for my higher education by offering tuition reimbursement. The benefit package with Granite is great. I do wish the medical was better but unfortunately with "Obama" care it changed the entire insurance structure. After 5 years you receive 3 weeks of vacation. They also offer 6 days of sick time. Other perks are employee discounts at entertainment parks, Ford company, 401K, credit union, pet insurance (yes, they even care about our furry friends) and so much more. If you are looking for a company that cares, this is it. Yes, some positions require more travel and yes, some department managers are more "difficult" but overall amazing company. Finally, Granite has been recognized as a World's Most Ethical Company for 8 years in a row (as of 2017). You don't achieve that recognition if it wasn't true.
Pros
Amazing people and company
Cons
Wish medical insurance was better
Not very good to employees
Sr Pm (Former Employee) –  WWDecember 5, 2018
Way too much travel, Id travel 5 days aweek, sometimes more. I had to travel on Sundays for Mondays workday.

No life work balance. Training was non existent.

Onboarding was a joke!
Pros
Pay well
Cons
Work hours, management sucked
Good Company
Senior Systems Engineer (Former Employee) –  Watsonville, CANovember 15, 2018
When I was there the entire IT organization had just been replaced. I was part of a new group of people who had to come in and basically take over. The company treats you very fairly and is more like a family than a workplace.
Great opertunities with Granite
Senior superintendent (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLOctober 31, 2018
Great management team. Works well as a team as long as you play along pay is ok. Vacation is a little week needs to offer more. Personal time off is ok. Basically a good group of people it’s just there so big your just a number to them and you can leave when you want
Pros
Benifits
Cons
Long hours to some people
Very nice Public Corporation
Senior Accountant Consolidations Consultant (Former Employee) –  Watsonville, CAOctober 25, 2018
Granite construction is a very reputable organization that treat its employees in a very nice manner, giving them the opportunity to be promoted within.
Pros
Company paid full time employees their health insurance premiums
Cons
Takes too long to decide when to hired a temporary employee to a permanent position
Great road construction projects big part of community
Pipe Layer/Laborer (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKOctober 17, 2018
All management is employee minded good for job security. The work can be long days but the jobs are consistently bid by contract. Holidays off usually.
Baffeled with the stupidty
Lead journeyman carpenter (Former Employee) –  Bothell, WAOctober 15, 2018
It's not what you know!!! It's who you bl#w !!! Right???
They preach about safty so much in everything that certain people are going to get you hurt if they don't settel down.
Pros
Certain people are awsome.like family
Cons
The wrong people are given the leadership part
It was a very hard job rebuilding the interstate on highway 40 it was dangerous getting in and out of traffic fast pace had to keep your eyes and mind
Lowboy driver/operator (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCOctober 8, 2018
Working for granite construction have been good ,got to know a lot of the employees we looked out for each other and yes we worked a lot of hours ,but that what it took to get the job done .
Pros
I ate as i worked didn't stop for lunch
Cons
I would take a break at 3:30 pm and then go back to work, health care was good didn't have to pay out of pocket only had to pay if i added a family member
The hours were good but the travel to get there only left me with one day at home .
Haul Truck Driver/ Water truck (Former Employee) –  Sparks, NVOctober 6, 2018
It took 3 hours to get to where I stayed and then another hour from there to get to work. I started at 6 am a bunch of us took a van to get there and we would badge in to the mine and then go to our machines it was very fast pace all day long and safety is key. We would work until between 4 and 6 pm but the days went by fast. We would badge out and take the van an hour into town and drop everyone off.
Pros
The pay was great and you would get drive time when driving the van of people to work.
Cons
The place we stayed was 3 hours from home and an hour away from our work place.
Project Engineer II (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 15, 2018
Great place to work. Great company culture. Plenty of opportunities if willing to relocate anywhere in the country. I've learned a lot in my relatively short time being employed by Granite.
Bad place to work
Information Technology Administrator I (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKAugust 24, 2018
Very un-professional place to work for. Training was a joke and trying to find something in a SOP was a serious problem. They were not updated correctly and old information was it them
Productive and very stable environment
Carpenter Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Goshen, CAAugust 21, 2018
I was a bit nervous to start. My thoughts were that I would be treated differently cause I’m a female or that they’d work me harder but no it was a very friendly environment the workers look led out for each other making one another feel comfortable of course including myself.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
You work in the heat
great company
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Indio, CAAugust 13, 2018
highly recommend great company to work for, great management, very appreciative workers, on job training, great teamwork, easy to contact superiors...
Great Company
Project Administrator I (Current Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAAugust 13, 2018
Granite Construction Company has some of the largest, most complex infrastructure projects and some smaller residential construction jobs, from transportation to solar power, tunneling and water line projects. Construction is a necessity for thriving economies however development is a highly competitive market.
In a competitive market, you need to earn respect and loyalty of your customers. Granite focuses on branding the company as ethical, loyal, hardworking, though honesty while providing customer’s quality work and employees a safe and healthy environment. Granite is a publicly owned company, and a lot of their stakeholders are also their employees. As an employee and part owner, they focus on creating devoted and dependable employees and stakeholders. As part of their slogan Granite wrote: “We believe that when committed people work together, you generate more value at every level and build a better world for everyone”
Happy at work
CARPENTER (Former Employee) –  folsom dam spillwayAugust 8, 2018
we at Granite when i was working at folsom dam spil way and at rail yad down town sacramento we treat each one as brothers , helping and making sure of the safety of everyone
Hard work but good management
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COJuly 25, 2018
Long hard days, but they treated their men fairly. We did everything from demo on backhoes, skid loaders, fed concrete plants with front end loaders. Also ran tiner for finished product, ran water truck and set up traffic control and various parts of labor in construction. and read grade stakes and set up guidelines for machines.
A day at Granite as an intern is full of learning.
Project Engineer Intern (Former Employee) –  Indio, CAJuly 17, 2018
Was put on a project for three months as a young intern and was learning directly from the project manager. It was a very enjoyable job and I would love to work there again.
Great Work Experience
Engineer I (Former Employee) –  Fort Carson, COJuly 13, 2018
A typical day at work was not out of the ordinary. Even on days where there was a problem, it was handled well by the staff and crew. The employees strived for quality work and acted as a productive community. The most encouraging experience was having Granite employees that had been with the company for years share their positive experiences and feedback quite often. I had a manager that was tough when he needed to be but flexible and understanding. He was knowledgable and effective while teaching and guiding his employees.
Very astute company
Senior Estimator (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJuly 3, 2018
Granite knows their business and as an employee you know what's expected. They let you do your job and don't micromanage. Safety is strongly enforced and the equipment and people are great.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
none reallyĺ
Great company
Flagger/Traffic Control (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJune 22, 2018
This was one of the first companies to start doing daily safety meetings. I feel as though this helped keep the number of injuries way down when compared with job sites of others. I enjoyed my coworkers but the job itself was hard.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Granite Construction Inc. Our community is ready to answer.