Granite Construction Inc Employee Reviews

Great road construction projects big part of community
Pipe Layer/Laborer (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKOctober 17, 2018
All management is employee minded good for job security. The work can be long days but the jobs are consistently bid by contract. Holidays off usually.
It was a very hard job rebuilding the interstate on highway 40 it was dangerous getting in and out of traffic fast pace had to keep your eyes and mind
Lowboy driver/operator (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCOctober 8, 2018
Working for granite construction have been good ,got to know a lot of the employees we looked out for each other and yes we worked a lot of hours ,but that what it took to get the job done .
Pros
I ate as i worked didn't stop for lunch
Cons
I would take a break at 3:30 pm and then go back to work, health care was good didn't have to pay out of pocket only had to pay if i added a family member
The hours were good but the travel to get there only left me with one day at home .
Haul Truck Driver/ Water truck (Former Employee) –  Sparks, NVOctober 6, 2018
It took 3 hours to get to where I stayed and then another hour from there to get to work. I started at 6 am a bunch of us took a van to get there and we would badge in to the mine and then go to our machines it was very fast pace all day long and safety is key. We would work until between 4 and 6 pm but the days went by fast. We would badge out and take the van an hour into town and drop everyone off.
Pros
The pay was great and you would get drive time when driving the van of people to work.
Cons
The place we stayed was 3 hours from home and an hour away from our work place.
Project Engineer II (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PASeptember 15, 2018
Great place to work. Great company culture. Plenty of opportunities if willing to relocate anywhere in the country. I've learned a lot in my relatively short time being employed by Granite.
Bad place to work
Information Technology Administrator I (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKAugust 24, 2018
Very un-professional place to work for. Training was a joke and trying to find something in a SOP was a serious problem. They were not updated correctly and old information was it them
Productive and very stable environment
Carpenter Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Goshen, CAAugust 21, 2018
I was a bit nervous to start. My thoughts were that I would be treated differently cause I’m a female or that they’d work me harder but no it was a very friendly environment the workers look led out for each other making one another feel comfortable of course including myself.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
You work in the heat
great company
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Indio, CAAugust 13, 2018
highly recommend great company to work for, great management, very appreciative workers, on job training, great teamwork, easy to contact superiors...
Great Company
Project Administrator I (Current Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAAugust 13, 2018
Granite Construction Company has some of the largest, most complex infrastructure projects and some smaller residential construction jobs, from transportation to solar power, tunneling and water line projects. Construction is a necessity for thriving economies however development is a highly competitive market.
In a competitive market, you need to earn respect and loyalty of your customers. Granite focuses on branding the company as ethical, loyal, hardworking, though honesty while providing customer’s quality work and employees a safe and healthy environment. Granite is a publicly owned company, and a lot of their stakeholders are also their employees. As an employee and part owner, they focus on creating devoted and dependable employees and stakeholders. As part of their slogan Granite wrote: “We believe that when committed people work together, you generate more value at every level and build a better world for everyone”
Happy at work
CARPENTER (Former Employee) –  folsom dam spillwayAugust 8, 2018
we at Granite when i was working at folsom dam spil way and at rail yad down town sacramento we treat each one as brothers , helping and making sure of the safety of everyone
Hard work but good management
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COJuly 25, 2018
Long hard days, but they treated their men fairly. We did everything from demo on backhoes, skid loaders, fed concrete plants with front end loaders. Also ran tiner for finished product, ran water truck and set up traffic control and various parts of labor in construction. and read grade stakes and set up guidelines for machines.
A day at Granite as an intern is full of learning.
Project Engineer Intern (Former Employee) –  Indio, CAJuly 17, 2018
Was put on a project for three months as a young intern and was learning directly from the project manager. It was a very enjoyable job and I would love to work there again.
Great Work Experience
Engineer I (Former Employee) –  Fort Carson, COJuly 13, 2018
A typical day at work was not out of the ordinary. Even on days where there was a problem, it was handled well by the staff and crew. The employees strived for quality work and acted as a productive community. The most encouraging experience was having Granite employees that had been with the company for years share their positive experiences and feedback quite often. I had a manager that was tough when he needed to be but flexible and understanding. He was knowledgable and effective while teaching and guiding his employees.
Very astute company
Senior Estimator (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJuly 3, 2018
Granite knows their business and as an employee you know what's expected. They let you do your job and don't micromanage. Safety is strongly enforced and the equipment and people are great.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
none reallyĺ
Great company
Flagger/Traffic Control (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJune 22, 2018
This was one of the first companies to start doing daily safety meetings. I feel as though this helped keep the number of injuries way down when compared with job sites of others. I enjoyed my coworkers but the job itself was hard.
Interesting First Co-op
Field Engineer Co-op (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 4, 2018
Granite Construction was a very kind co-op to me, teaching me the basics I needed to know for the work I needed to do and showing me the process first time around. The work, while seemingly time-consuming and basic, allowed me to see the complexities involved for the worksite.
Pros
Good pay, nice supervisors
Cons
High expectations for 2nd year
Hard work long hours
General Laborer (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAApril 10, 2018
Morning safety meeting , morning strecth, then check of safety list on trucks and other equiment that was being use.filled out jsa made sure everyone that was onsite filled it out was aware of the hazards surrounding us
Pros
Cons
temporary
big company
Construction Laborer (Former Employee) –  Folsom, CAApril 9, 2018
Granite construction was one of the best employers that i have worked for. they pay well, alot of hours. there aint no down time besides lunch and 2 or 3 breaks.
Good learning expeirence.
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLMarch 14, 2018
The all in all in picture was a learning curve to sharpen my skills. The job was only to take a year but we were done with most of it fairly quickly. At the end of the job there was no promise or garuntee for more work. There is alot of talk about saftey but alot of corners got cut. Honestly I feel chewed up and spit out.
Pros
A chance to advance my skills
Cons
Where do i start.
workplace
Certified Payroll Assistant ll (Former Employee) –  Carlsbad, CAMarch 6, 2018
Granite Construction was a very stressful work environment, unqualified HR rep. I do not recommend it to anyone. Not a good work culture. sometimes unfair.
Good company to work for if more steady
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Yakima, WAFebruary 26, 2018
Good company to work for if more steady throughout the year. Need to allow experienced employees to get more involved. Could use updating of equipment but not a huge deal
Pros
People and benefits
Cons
Safety

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Granite Construction Inc. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about