Grant Thornton Employee Reviews

Great people and a variety of projects
Director - Operations Transformation Team (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 13, 2018
Proud to work with a team of very smart people empowered to work with a great team on a wide variety of challenging projects. This is a firm with a rising culture.
Excellent Company
Senior Accountant, Auditor, and Business Advisor (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MIJune 13, 2018
Typical work day included client interaction, review of financial statements, business advisory services, etc. I learned how to work on business deals at a very high level (usually with business owners / CEOs). Hardest part was the busy season - Year End. The most enjoyable was the paid time off for all the hard work.
Pros
Client involvement, comp. time, flexible work schedule
Cons
Busy season hours worked
Nice place to work.
Process Analyst Intern (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 10, 2018
It was a good experience working at grant thornton, manager and colleagues were really helpful.
Friendly management and culture.
I worked as a Process analyst Intern and got a chance to learn many new tools.
Lack of work life balance, adequate compensation, no job security, a great culture which is not practiced.
Senior Associate (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 31, 2018
Lack of work life balance, adequate compensation, minimum job security, a great culture which is not practiced. However given the nature of the work , it is somewhat expected.
Great People and Culture
Tax anayst (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 22, 2018
Great fun place to work. Management wants to maintain work life balance but easier said than done. They do try but some don't seem to be buying into change....Compensation and benefits are fair.
Pros
People
not a place to work
Programmer Analyst (Former Employee) –  DC - District of Columbia, DCMay 22, 2018
They interviewed be multiple times for a role in DC, and told me i am hired for the role. Later they never sent me an offer letter,neither mentioned to me anything, and stopped responding.
Valuable experience but limited opportunity.
Senior Audit Associate (Current Employee) –  MultipleMay 8, 2018
As with public accounting at any large firm, offers valuable experience. GT's size allows seeing many different companies in a short period of time.

While there is significant training to assist in performing job duties, there is limited opportunity for personal career development or specialization. Grant Thornton also has a particularly toxic work environment and rapid turnover. Majority leave by the end of first senior year either by choice or by force. It is made clear that employees are easily replaced and the company makes use of this to maximize profit.

Obviously public accounting is not for everyone and experiences vary from person to person.
Pros
Experience
Grant Thornton
Senior Cyber Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Oakbrook Terrace, ILMay 7, 2018
Best Security position that I have had since starting my own firm in 2012. This opportunity allowed me the chance to graduate from solely doing project management work.
Pros
Great ePMO Leader
Cons
Lack of vision by Security Director
Great company to work for and wish I could have stayed
Assurance Intern (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 26, 2018
This was an intern position and for only 3 months but it was great! There were some employees who the interns worked for who tried to make life rough but I did not let them push me around. For example, in accounting, you have to add up almost everything the client gives you so the Senior auditor thought I would complain when he gave me a report that was about 2 inches thick and he said add this up. I told him okay. (He did not realize that I can just about do 10 key in my sleep!) So he and the others were amazed when I started adding up the numbers...pretty quickly!!

The regular staff auditors were very helpful on all of my jobs and even some of the senior auditors. I really liked this company and they held several events for us while we were there and we were able to meet and talk with the partners.
Pros
compensation
Cons
working out of town
Great
# Senior Consultant 2 (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 26, 2018
Great Place to work! plenty of learning opportunities and diverse clients.

Well structured training programs, manager and senior managers are always available to help out as needed.
Amazing place to work
Audit Intern (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 19, 2018
My time at Grant Thornton was an amazing experience. I learned an amazing amount about public accounting and what it takes to be a successful CPA. Everyone at the firm was welcoming and supportive.
Work tasks not properly distributed
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 18, 2018
boring - manager too busy promoting herself to worry or work with the staff - company policies not enforced. A great deal of money was spent to change the culture, but nothing changed.
Too much work for too little reward
Audit (Former Employee) –  TXApril 17, 2018
It honestly isn't even the salary at this point, though make no mistake that is why a lot of people leave. (though to clarify, GT pays enough for cost of living; its the work:reward ratio that's way, way too low).

The firm has become probably the most inflexible its ever been. FTO is a joke. If you want any time off, I hope you have a crystal ball and can plan for everything a full year in advance. You won't get summers to take it easier like the recruiters will tell you. The firm has way too many off year-end engagements and not enough people to go around. Be prepared to work 60+ hours a week way too consistently during winter, spring, summer, and fall once you become a senior. May the gods have mercy on your soul if you get stuck on a big public job and an off-year end audit.
Pros
People are nice
Cons
overload you with work; very manager heavy and short-staffed
Beautiful office and very tech savvy
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 17, 2018
I worked for this company for six months as an Administrative Assistant. I was let go because my position was no longer needed. I must add that the management was poor and lacked communication. Also, there were a few not so nice managers.
Pros
Free food all the time
Cons
Lack of management and training
Pleasant staff. Management have no direction.
Tax Senior (International corporation tax) (Former Employee) –  County DublinApril 17, 2018
Overall culture is good but management don't know where the firm is going despite what they may say. Tax practice going down like the Titanic.

Generally work is challenging and diverse.
Cut Throat
Senior Sales Tax Consultant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 16, 2018
Everyone I worked with was out for themselves. It made it difficult to be a part of the culture. The hours were long and the travel started a week after my 1st day which I was not prepared for travel. I learned that the company downsized there Sales tax program when I left.
Pros
Travel to other states
Cons
Competitive
Contractor for the US ARMY
Contract Accountant for ARCENT (Current Employee) –  Sumter SCApril 16, 2018
I have enjoyed my time here and will miss it. It did not require travel and was not micromanaged. Management conducted brief telephone updates as required.
Great people culture
Director, Technology Solutions (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 16, 2018
Grant Thornton focuses on its people culture. They are very good with retaining people, especially young people, and have a good collaborative environment. Their consulting practice is entreprenurial and in some cases nascent.
Great people but need to focus more on prioritization
Director, Advisory (Current Employee) –  USAApril 16, 2018
Potential for some great work but leadership needs to focus on prioritization and make hard choices in order to grow as a business. At the moment it seems like decisions are not made collaboratively based on the strategy required, but are more made on pulling just one or two levers without understanding the implications to the rest of the firm/ecosystem.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Lack of prioritization and understanding of whole firm as an ecosystem
It was a nice place to work.
Buyer/National Programs (Former Employee) –  Oakbrook Terrace, ILApril 11, 2018
Purchasing department for indirect spend. Work load was adequate, people were nice. They offer a lot of training opportunities to expand your knowledge.
Pros
Nice place to work
Cons
Needed to make a move for advancement

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Grant Thornton. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score

3.4Personal Development

3.3Career Opportunities

3.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight