GRANTHAM UNIVERSITY Employee Reviews

A great school.
Student (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 29, 2018
Grantham University is a great school for those disciplined enough to follow through. I earned my B.S and my A.S from here and it was worth it. If you put the time in, and study you will do well. The teachers really care about the students.
Pros
Online classes
Ok place to work
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Lenexa, KSOctober 9, 2018
Great people with family like environment but departments are siloed. The company lacks in career pathing for employees. I felt very stagnant. Good company for individuals looking to gain experience.
I really enjoyed my time there
Admissions Representative/Data Controller (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOSeptember 27, 2018
Coming from Slidell LA to Kansas City MO. this company moved heaven and earth for us as we had lost 100% of our normal lives. Yes we worked A LOT like a lot of hours but we were very well taken care of for the work we put in. We had the opportunity to earn our education that ensured our success in future ventures... I would 100% recommend GU to anyone WILLING to put the work in and work HARD. It's not easy selling an intangible item, you have to sell someone their FUTURE, convince them they can be successful.
Pros
you get to change lives!
Cons
quota, not for someone that doesn't want to WORK for it
Grantham University
STUDENT FINANCIAL SERVICE OFFICER (Current Employee) –  Lenexa, KSSeptember 22, 2018
Grantham University, an established distance education university since 1951, provides 100% online associate, bachelor and master’s degrees to military personnel and their families and to the general public.
Cons
High Turnover Ratio
Poor Leadership
Transcript Analyst for Evaluations & Registrar (Former Employee) –  Lenexa, KSSeptember 12, 2018
Once upon a time under previous leadership there was potential at Grantham. They worked to establish connections with veterans charities and there was a sense of belief and cause. Then there was a cleaning house of leadership from top to bottom and the culture changed. The ends justifies the means mentality became dominant. This resulted in decisions like transfer credit given based on clock hours. This means training at places like massage parlors became "legitimate" transfer credit. A micro management style was enforced and a guilty until proven innocent management style was enforced. Independent thinkers who helped the school grow were replaced by those comfortable with group think and enforcing low standards without question. I would not recommend it for employment or education purposes.
Good place to work if you are seeking a degree
Confidential (Current Employee) –  Lenexa, KSSeptember 9, 2018
Grantham University is a good place to work if you are seeking a degree, as education for employees is free of charge. The culture is pretty relaxed but can be stressful due to leadership changes and multiple employee dismissals currently taking place. The atmosphere can be a bit competitive due to changes in recognition programs that are now posted weekly as to who has received recognition. Leadership should consider less layering so that middle management can make decisions in their individual departments easier without so many check marks required.

Benefits are priced right but the time off is not typical of most firms in the greater Kansas City area. As an hourly employee you only get 5 days of sick leave and 10 days of vacation annually.

The pay is alright but less than the industry standards.
Great learning experience
SYSTEMS ANALYST II (Former Employee) –  Lenexa, KSSeptember 7, 2018
A typical day insisted of meetings, vendor and client management, and regular system analyst.

I learned many organizational skills and how to build business relationships.
Poor Management and Low Morale
Marketing (Current Employee) –  Lenexa, KSJuly 26, 2018
The culture of GU used to be amazing but now they are only worried about keeping cost low at the expense of the employee. Management is extremely cut throat and make sure that everything is written down if promised to you because otherwise they will not follow through.
Student not employee
Student (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJuly 17, 2018
Good coursework in business classes. Marketing, Accounting and International Law were the classes of my major. I also took a course in Microsoft Excel as a refresher.
Meetings
Student Financial Services Officer (Former Employee) –  Lenexa, KSJune 6, 2018
This was the first company that I worked for that had self evaluations. It was hard for me because I am my own worst critic. I am not sure how they evaluate the raises either because I only got one while I was there. The university also has quarterly meetings to tell everyone how the college is doing in all departments. It was overall a great place to work.
Pros
Participated in the KC corporate challenge
Cons
Not a lot of room for advancement.

Want to know more about GRANTHAM UNIVERSITY?

Ask a question
Flexible and Rewarding Work
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Lenexa, KSJune 5, 2018
If you wish to share your knowledge and train students for a brighter future this job is for you. It is a flexible job that is personally rewarding. Teaching a subject you are proficient in only reinforces your knowledge of the subject. Teaching others only expands the service you have to others and is personally enriching.
Grantham is in transition and will hopeully prepare themselves for a bright future.
Director of Marketing (Former Employee) –  Lenexa, KSMay 22, 2018
There is a lot going on at Grantham: Management Changes as the highest levels, changes to core systems, and lots of staff turnover. The future is in critical balance but I am hopeful that the new COO can work his magic to move the University into a brighter future. Acceptance of his vision for that future is critical by all management and employees. That paradigm is in critical flux at the moment but I am hopeful for great things to come.
Pros
Great People and Talent
Cons
Diversity of Vision for the path forward amongst various Leadership roles
I understand change
Hard and honest worker (Former Employee) –  Lenexa, KSMay 4, 2018
Change is important for any organization, but when you bring in leaders who lead by fear and intimidation. It is time for one to go. How can you be expected to do your job, if higher management doesn't know what your job is, or better yet, know what direction they want you to go in? How can new management ask you to change a person's performance rating, when they haven't been with the organization for less than 2 months.
Benefits
Cons
Leadership
so so management
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Lenexa, KSApril 27, 2018
No one seems to know what they were doing, and they did not work with other departments. The recruiting was not done correctly so there were no students to teach. Management hired many new instructors who were unfamiliar with online teaching, but because they had higher degrees, they got the classes. The remainder of the staff were left out. No students equal no pay. This position makes it necessary to have several other posts but, they still require you put in a 40-hour work week. Regular staff was not recognized while certain others were considered the only ones in the department
Pros
Cons
poor management
Organization with opportunities to advance
Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Lenexa, KSApril 15, 2018
Grantham as an organization has grown somewhat over the last 4-5 years. As a result, they've made some restructuring changes that allow for more opportunity to advance. On top of this, they are also an organization that is typically willing to offer opportunities to internal candidates to move up (or laterally and then up) into new and more advanced positions in the organization. They do have a tendency to silo a bit, but have been working over the last year or two to improve this. Overall, they're a great place to come early in your career to find your niche in higher education and learn the skills you need to be successful.
Pros
Offer partial telecommuting to some employees, laid back atmosphere
Cons
High employee turnover in some departments
Good Benefits
CAREER SERVICES COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Lenexa, KSMarch 1, 2018
People really do become invested in the Grantham way. Upper leadership changes frequently and this affects the employee culture. Opportunities for growth are common.

Grantham allows employees to attend school for free and also pays for books. The 401k recently increased to 4% match. The healthcare is affordable, they pay for vision and have a base life insurance for employees and spouses.
Adjunct Instructor
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  KansasJanuary 25, 2018
Honestly, I've enjoyed teaching at Grantham. Adjuncts are not the highest paid but neither are they the lowest paid. I've never felt pressured at ANY time to lower my academic standards. However, they do create the class for you and while you can add to it you are not allowed to change it. and some of my current classes need changing. That said, I've been able to make recommendations and have seen them implemented. I've never been hassled because too many students failed; I do expect students to do the work and I grade them fairly. If they fail its almost always because they failed to turn in work but sometimes they are just not ready for college.

I've taught at three public universities and at least during my most recent experience at the public university, it was very clique-ish. Everyone was trying to climb the ladder and if you did anything different, you were out. They claimed academic freedom but I did not have it.

I could be quite happy teaching here for the rest of my professional life (hint, I'm not very young...). I know my subject, enjoy adult students, and genuinely look forward to sitting down in front of my computer in the morning.
Pros
If you are happy being an adjunct, it can be great.
Cons
Not the highest paying position
Growth is all that is needed
Admissions Representative (Current Employee) –  Lenexa, KSDecember 28, 2017
I like working for Grantham University. It's an environment conducive of success. The people are awesome, my job is rewarding and I enjoy what I do. My only concern is a lack of growth.
n/a
Nursing Instructor (Current Employee) –  work from homeDecember 15, 2017
the pay is not the greatest. The people who work for grantham are exceptional from the dean of nursing to professors. I do not have any complaints except for low pay scale
Education
Team Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MONovember 28, 2017
Not a bad job. Reenrolled students in to their next semester. Management worked well together and promoted within. Workplace culture was great. Good morale.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at GRANTHAM UNIVERSITY. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

2.6InHerSight Score

2.5Personal Development

2.3Career Opportunities

2.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight