Grassroots Campaigns
57Below average

Grassroots Campaigns Employee Reviews

United States320 reviews
Productive and Fun Workplace
The office is diverse and welcoming. Even though the job can be hard, it is a supportive environment that allows employees to be comfortable, yet still professional. A good summer job for college students looking to make some money, while being able to fundraise for important causes.
Great as a first time summer job
This is not an easy job and most people don’t make it past the first week, very high turnover rate and somewhat humiliating because of the rejection. It is mostly young adults so the environment is great if you are in college or just out of high school. It will get you out of your comfort zone and you can learn some basic sales and business skills.
Horrible company with horrible organization
A typical day starts off with confusion mixed with orientation for new employees who show up everyday. Next comes whatever training that was chosen for that day and depending on the season there could be at least 3 different training happening all in the same room. Now due to the unspoken revolving door policy fairly new people are thrown in leadership positions to help fill in gaps for newbies to better grasp the job. There are however great opportunity to work on and craft skills like public speaking,time management, and sales. The hardest part of the job is getting up every morning putting yourself and your values out to the public with no value or support for Management. in the 4 years that i worked for this company i have lost a ton of hard working determined employees but gained patience,amazing managerial skills and problem solving skills but i would not recommend this company to anyone who does not have a heart for the people.
Union busters
GCI is garbage. Please do not take a job here. Management does not care about you! The whole business model is to bring in young passionate people and burn them out. They don’t care about the charities they work for. GARBAGE.
Fails to Live Up to Values
The office environment was incredibly unhealthy and there was no room for innovation or collaboration on social movement building. When questions were brought up with management about effective framing, community outreach, and office practices, management was quick to dismiss anything that did not fall strictly into the scripts provided by the national office. New employees were given unrealistic goals and threatened with termination of contracts if they struggled. Minimal effort was provided to support new employees that were struggling, and management had no formal training in social movement theory and practice.
Management specifically targets university students and recent graduates looking to work in the social justice field, but is unable to keep many within the company due to unreasonable expectations and toxic behavior from other employees. The company was predatory and the experience of working for them was deeply disappointing.
Pros
work on behalf of progressive organizations, periodic breaks
Cons
High turnover rate, unhealthy relationship dynamics, low pay
Would you rate your company five stars?
Rate your employer to help people make better career decisions.
If No Other Option
If you have other opportunities in nonprofit or organizing, take them. For the pay and work, Grassroots is not worth it. For a company that represents progressive organizations, they certainly don't practice in good faith. Despicably low pay and long wait periods for benefits like health insurance and vacation. Management only cares about numbers and less about helping their staff grow. The people you recruit and train are great, but management exploits young adults looking for a first job out of college.
Not what it appears.
Ignored many red flags including major disconnect between "leaders" and lack of organization from the top down. There were inconsistencies galore, which are to be expected from a new company however there was little to no actual leadership taking place so growing pain where dealt with very unprofessionally. Many truly great people have been let go, its almost as if the more training/education/experience you have the worse you will fair in this company. If you enjoy an inconsistent work environment with very weak leadership this is the place for you. I will say however that the swag is quite nice. If you require an organized, professional, fair, and positive work environment do not apply.
Jobs with a respectable cause
This is one of the more meaningful jobs I've ever had. You will work hard, and it is important that you learn about the campaigns, and all the information concerning the issues around it, in order to contribute to the success of the campaign. You are not working for yourself, but for the sake of humanity.
Avoid if possible
This place is really bad. The higher ups will take advantage of you and abuse you. You also have a high possibility of being fired after your third day.
A lot of work a little pay.... But emotionally rewarding.
A lot of work a little pay.... But emotionally rewarding. Long hours. But the work was positive and so were the people. I would work here afain but not long-term.
Good Company to work for
Good Company to work very good work environment happy to come to work everyday the paid is good and you can make more promotion from within the company
Grassroots Campaign
Grassroots Campaign was one of my favorite jobs because it was diverse in ethnicity and the people were loving accepting and kind. This job taught to fight for what I want and ti believe in myself. Also it showed me how to properply deal with disagreement.
Not bad not good
You need to be motivated to do this job and you have to learn patience. I wasnt the person for the job but it was to much going on. Dealing with strangers on the street and stopping them was frustrating I was never ignored nor disrespected the way I was working there
Good Work, High Stress, LOTS of Problems
The company is doing good work, but ultimately is just a for-profit corporation that operates solely on fundraising performance. It is run mostly by young people like myself, which is a great thing socially but also frustrating the higher up the the power chain you go; things like benefits and protocol get too complicated for some of the higher-ups. Pay is not great, but the benefits are pretty awesome, especially their student loan forgiveness. I had some wonderful experiences working for this company but, at the end of the day, it would have been so much better if the mission were actually to "talk to people about important issues" rather than to raise lots of money, especially with canvassers who had to follow a pretty tough quota system. The quota system, which every canvassing organization has, forces canvassers into positions of stress over numbers, which tends to impede their fundraising abilities, hence causing more stress. The company has essentially no system in place to deal with that stress, which means that their employee turnover rate is extremely high. I would still recommend anyone with true political motivation, ambition, and the ability to deal with LOTS of stress to work here; it really does provide a lot of useful experience. However, my true recommendation is to either not stick around for long or fundraise directly for a non-profit, if possible.
Minimum wage sales gig
Deceptive advertising in the job description. The ad read the job paid $3 an hour OVER minimum wage. We learned that the amount in the ad applied ONLY if we made quota. Thinking they meant per shift, we later learned that quota must be met every week. Cheated ppl out of bonuses. Ridiculously high quota. $250 per day??? Terrible
Perfect for New graduates
This job offers no work-life balance and the compensation is subpar. It's a great opportunity for a new graduate looking to enter Non-profit work. If you can dedicate a year to working 70 hours per week making 25,000 to 30,000 hours per week, it could be a great opportunity.
Not The Best Office Culture
The company overall was unorganized. My experience was not the best, and I feel like it could've been better. The management was not very efficient, and the program was shut down.
Grassroots Campaigns
Was a very fun and politically motivated job. Fundraiser lots of money to charities I was already donating to. Got to build connections, and work on my leadership/communication skills a lot.
They Only Care about the Money
People come in and out this company because they only care about money. U don't hit quota = you're out. After 1 low week, I had a manager who gave me some tips to increase my profits.
The next week I was sent to saturated area that had repeat patrons (other canvassers up the street saw them first/asked them first) . I was fired that day for not making the quota for the week from a supervisor who didn't care that I was given a spot with no foot traffic. When I left several people were leaving because of the disorganization of this company and their greediness. Check their website, the people in the positions are always changing.
Here For The Causes
The best thing about Grassroots is the causes they canvasss for. Beyond that everything else is a mess. The office ran so hectic and crazy. I appreciated my time there but due to the way things were run I definitely had to leave.
Awful
Low pay, poor management.

High stress.

Unintelligent supervisors.

No good deed goes unpunished at this company.

They micro-manage and find fault for every move you make.
Pros
Cons
everything
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Grassroots Campaigns. Our community is ready to answer.
2.6
2.5
Ratings from women
2.3
InHerSight Score
2.3Personal Development
2.9Career Opportunities
1.6Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight