Grassroots Campaigns Employee Reviews

Stressful but independent.
Educator/Canvasser (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CANovember 28, 2018
This job had me traveling around the bay area. I'd almost never spend two days in a row at the same place. The problem for me is asking people for money. Some days people just couldn't give, some days they did not want to give, and some days no one stopped for anything. I never felt like I had even 50% control over my employment.
Pros
Breaks on your own time, no micromanagement from the office, travel
Cons
Have to make quota. If you don't, you are fired.
petition gathering
Field Manager (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, CONovember 27, 2018
Seasonal work for gathering petitions. The temporary office was managed efficiently enough and the quotas were not too extreme. As a seasonal position there was no advancement
Pros
flexible, fun
Cons
seasonal
Very on and off crowd
Canvasser (Former Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 6, 2018
Employees come and go very quick. They set high fundraising expectations for new employees without giving any training expecting you to just get hired and constantly raise up to a certain quota. If you don't meet the quota they just fire you without giving a single warning.
Pros
Fun conversation with coworkers at both the start and the end of the day
Cons
Way too high of expectations for new employees
Great Cause not a good job for people with physical disabilities
Canvasser (Former Employee) –  Sacramento CaliforniaOctober 27, 2018
I worked for the company for a month my managers were awesome but because I have a physical disability the majority of people that I tried to get donations from told me no it was mentally draining by the end of the day I was exhausted and I struggled to make quota my colleagues were very supportive of me and my disability but I couldn’t handle it anymore after my first paycheck I quit because of a negative experience with trump supporters.

I don’t recommend people with disabilities to canvass because you will definitely have a difficult time making quota.

Other than that Great cause and company!!!
Pros
Great people
Cons
Long days
A Pyramid Scheme
Canvasser (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 18, 2018
All information I am about to give can be found on the National Labor Relations Board (nlrb.gov). Grassroots seeks out candidates who are easy to manipulate - college graduates, candidates out of work, and young people in general - and I know this because I heard a director using this language while speaking about another canvasser. On NLRB there are many lawsuits against Grassroots Campaigns and allegations that involved: coercive statements and actions, changes in terms and conditions of employment, and modifications of contract (to name a few). There are nearly two dozen cases alleging unfair labor practices.
In my personal experience working for Grassroots, I felt burned out after almost a month. The pay was low and a grueling quota system (if I did not make $125 a week I would get fired). There isn't a direct deposit as a payment option and Canvassing directors (in more than just the Philly office) have file cabinets full of undelivered checks for employees - basically I was working for free. All workers are kept in a precarious employment situation so they can be fired anytime.
Many of my coworkers were gaslighted when they could not make enough money at certain canvassing locations - "You shouldn't be here for the money, you should be here for the cause!" - and then will turn around and fire you if you cannot meet quota. It is all hypocritical once you can see it from the inside.
The worst thing I learned about Grassroots was that zero of the money raised was given to the non-profits. Grassroots, in fact, bills the charity on a weekly basis. ACLU pays Grassroots
  more... $180 a week for every canvasser per 4-5 hours, but receives nothing back. Canvassers are told to go out into the streets and solicit money from the public but both the donors and the canvassers don't know is how much money actually goes to the charity and how much goes into management's pocket.  less
Cons
Working for these nut jobs changed my political views
Field worker (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaSeptember 26, 2018
Working with so many negative, agreesive, simple minded, intitled and hateful people that expect everyone to think the same as the them or would do everything they good to mentally or emotionally shame you. Working with Democrats from this company made me become a republican.
Pros
They paid me
Cons
Great for passionate, focused advocates.
Field Manager & Recruiting Specialist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 14, 2018
The work is not for everyone - those who are comfortable engaging with others and passionate about social change will succeed. Connecting with people and powering positive societal shifts are the biggest rewards of working for Grassroots.
Friendly
Canvasser (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAAugust 29, 2018
Meet at 10am overview, train, out in the streets of New Orleans no matter the weather: rain, burning hot, or snow. standing on corners anywhere all over the city from 12-5pm mon-sat.
It was fine.
Canvasser (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 23, 2018
It was good but I didn't want to move up in the organization. Some office leaders were very hypocritical about how they ran things. but the work was very fulfilling if you liked the group you canvassed for.
Pros
good people for care about important issues
Cons
hot summer days on the sidewalk
Something I learned
Field manager - Assistant Director (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOAugust 22, 2018
You become comfortable reaching out and taliking to the public.tThe social issues you work with are very rewarding. I've builted up my resume since working here.
lit place to work
Vons Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAAugust 11, 2018
Awesome place to work, good office culture, very proggressive and inclusive structure. Can be difficult to make quota and as a result has high turnover rate.
Pros
inclusive culture, progressive company, nice bosses
Cons
tough to keep the job
Using Capitalist ideologies to push a socialist message
Canvasser/Field Manager (Former Employee) –  NYAugust 9, 2018
Work here to prove that there are “progressives” who will use time tested capitalist ideologies: work 50+ hours a week for a non living wage to push their message of fair labor conditions, etc. Shockingly hypocritical once you see it from the inside, as they prey on young progressive ideologues to become messengers, and once you work for them, they will expect you to do the same. “Grassroots” in name only...start your own, if you want to make a difference; don’t go to work for this sweatshop.
Great place, wish I stayed
Canvasser (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMAugust 2, 2018
The work was tough but rewarding and it felt like you were at least trying to make a difference. I would highly recommend working here if you can, and you don't mind long days in the sun.
Yes we can, But there has been darker times
Level III canvasser (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 27, 2018
I took this position as a street canvasser one summer. I like being out side all day, but if you do this make sure to have plenty of water as the sun can be harsh. The days are usually 8 to 10 hours but its rewarding knowing that every donation goes to the attorneys that help defend the cause. The only hard part is getting enough donations in the allowed time. That is the only reason they have high turnovers with employees. Also not having enough time for restroom breaks. The pay is pretty good though. I made more canvassing then I did working at McDonald’s so it not bad.
Pros
Cons
More time to use the restroom
This Place Is Terrible
Canvasser (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 17, 2018
This job is a scam! I only worked 3 days and got fired because I didnt make my weekly quota. During orientation they did not tell us this they told us that this was a full time position! Grassroots are liars !
Cons
Everything Is Awful
This is not politics, it's sales.
Employee (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 17, 2018
This particular position requires you to work about 11 hours a day almost every day. If you are interested in politics then I advise you not to even consider this job. It is a sales position demanding donations outside of stores. You are personally required to raise a minimum of $170 everyday. It was poorly managed because not all "campaigns" accepted cash, but they were all still held to the same standards. Great if you are into sales, but definitely not politics.
Pros
Get to raise money for charities
Cons
Literally everything else
collected donations
Street Team Member (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 17, 2018
Raised funds for the non-profit organization Planned Parenthood while raising awareness for the organization by
providing information about Planned Parenthood and women’s rights.
Interesting work enviorment
Voter Registration Clerk (Former Employee) –  Norwood, PAJuly 15, 2018
It was very nice to be out in the community interacting with people and teaching people about voting rights. The people who work there are usually very passionate and friendly.
Pros
once you meet your quota you can take as much time as you want for lunch
Cons
the equiment doesn't always work but it is your responsibility to fix it
Valuable experience
Paid Canvasser (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJuly 5, 2018
Learned how to canvass for a political campaign. How to talk to people door-to-door. Practiced a script and had to meet quotas. Useful on resume and for future jobs.
working for GCI
Canvasser (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 27, 2018
People who aren't political driven and political minded should not work for GCI. The organizations that GCI fundraises for are extremely good, and the overall goal of GCI is good, but management is sucky and the work, if you can't derive a reward from it, is extremely draining.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Grassroots Campaigns. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

2.4InHerSight Score

2.6Personal Development

2.9Career Opportunities

1.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight