Grassroots Campaigns Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Using Capitalist ideologies to push a socialist message
Canvasser/Field Manager (Former Employee) –  NYAugust 9, 2018
Work here to prove that there are “progressives” who will use time tested capitalist ideologies: work 50+ hours a week for a non living wage to push their message of fair labor conditions, etc. Shockingly hypocritical once you see it from the inside, as they prey on young progressive ideologues to become messengers, and once you work for them, they will expect you to do the same. “Grassroots” in name only...start your own, if you want to make a difference; don’t go to work for this sweatshop.
Great place, wish I stayed
Canvasser (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMAugust 2, 2018
The work was tough but rewarding and it felt like you were at least trying to make a difference. I would highly recommend working here if you can, and you don't mind long days in the sun.
Yes we can, But there has been darker times
Level III canvasser (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 27, 2018
I took this position as a street canvasser one summer. I like being out side all day, but if you do this make sure to have plenty of water as the sun can be harsh. The days are usually 8 to 10 hours but its rewarding knowing that every donation goes to the attorneys that help defend the cause. The only hard part is getting enough donations in the allowed time. That is the only reason they have high turnovers with employees. Also not having enough time for restroom breaks. The pay is pretty good though. I made more canvassing then I did working at McDonald’s so it not bad.
Pros
Cons
More time to use the restroom
This Place Is Terrible
Canvasser (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 17, 2018
This job is a scam! I only worked 3 days and got fired because I didnt make my weekly quota. During orientation they did not tell us this they told us that this was a full time position! Grassroots are liars !
Cons
Everything Is Awful
This is not politics, it's sales.
Employee (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 17, 2018
This particular position requires you to work about 11 hours a day almost every day. If you are interested in politics then I advise you not to even consider this job. It is a sales position demanding donations outside of stores. You are personally required to raise a minimum of $170 everyday. It was poorly managed because not all "campaigns" accepted cash, but they were all still held to the same standards. Great if you are into sales, but definitely not politics.
Pros
Get to raise money for charities
Cons
Literally everything else
Valuable experience
Paid Canvasser (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJuly 5, 2018
Learned how to canvass for a political campaign. How to talk to people door-to-door. Practiced a script and had to meet quotas. Useful on resume and for future jobs.
Ok
Door to Door Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 20, 2018
I'm not a huge fan of door to door fundraising, the atmosphere was not what I expected. Fundraising was the hardest part, as the areas that we went weren't orchestrated in confidence.
workplace
Lead recruiter (Former Employee) –  Elizabeth City, NCJune 11, 2018
The workers welcome everybody with open arms since just about everybody culture is different which makes them more understanding. Due to it being a nonprofit, you can learn something new everyday.
Grassroots Campaigns
Volunteer Canvasser (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJune 11, 2018
Grassroots Campaigns is a decent part-time employer. The management will give you any hours you ask for once they see that you can handle the job task.
Expectations are very different from the job
Field Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 17, 2018
A typical day at work was spent with a daily meeting and then canvassing. The management wasn't great and allowed for a lot of nonsense with the workers to slip through the cracks. They often weren't clear about what needed to get done whereby creating resentment. Everyone who worked for them was passionate about the issues they supported.
I did not enjoy working there
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 15, 2018
there was no compensation for on the job issues that come with canvassing and there was very little job security. additionally the bonus system was flawed
Take my advice - do not work here
Field Manager (Former Employee) –  BostonMay 15, 2018
No benefits at all. Also no PTO. No health insurance, nothing.

Required to work A LOT of hours, upwards to 80 hours per week for a measly $24,000.00.

You are not an employee, you are a number.
Pros
Cons
No benefits at all. Also no PTO. No health insurance, nothing.
Scam Scam Scam
Canvasser (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 13, 2018
I think working here taught me a lot about how important it is to go to people and inform them about really crucial social issues. But nonetheless after being there for a year I realized that this place isn't actually a nonprofit organization, and worrying about my paycheck every week was not worth it. At least I got to meet fun new people.
Dont work here
Assistant Canvassing Director (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 9, 2018
Its not a non profit, you will work AT LEAT 70 hours a week for minimum wage, no overtime, misleading recruitment and managment, high turnover rate, bad labor relations.
Reported our boss to HR, Corporate shut us down
Canvasser / Field Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, TX 78705April 20, 2018
If your director is incompetent or unprofessional complaining about them to their boss could get your office closed down. Also, the health insurance benefits comes out of your check. For several months I was receiving benefits but the payroll department wasn't taking out the payments. When they realized their error they started deducting twice as much without notifying me they screwed up. The upper echelons are full of corporate types who couldn't who don't care what happens to the canvassers on the ground.
Pros
Cool co-workers, standard hours, health care (you do pay for it but it's good if you need it to be)
Cons
Pay scale forces you to compete with co-workers for wages, reporting your boss to HR for incompetence or unprofessionalism doesn't do anything
it was a fun job
Field manager/outreach worker (Former Employee) –  New York, NY 10018April 19, 2018
it was nice meeting and working with people from all walks of life. i also got to travel all over New York city and Jersey. the hardest part of the job was standing on your feet for 5 or more hours a day and getting people to notice you and listen to what you have to say
Worst Organization Ever. Full Stop.
Assistant Director (Former Employee) –  Denver, COApril 12, 2018
This place is a sweatshop. They have a higher turnover rate than a washing machine. They prey on young, idealistic progressives who do not know the value of their own labor. Management will not listen to a word you say. You have been warned.
Pros
good co-workers to commiserate with
Cons
literally everything else
Lies, misrepresentations and cut throat atmosphere
Canvasser (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCApril 6, 2018
Managers continually coach employees on how to run down their opponents by telling lies, misrepresentations and omitting key information to potential voters. Atmosphere is cut throat and questions/challenges are met with ridicule. They support underhanded tactics to further their agenda. This is not a civic minded organization and should not be confused with honest voter registration organizations.
Pros
Cons
lies and dishonest rhetoric
Very fast paced, but for little gain.
Canvasser (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMarch 28, 2018
The people at Grassroots mean well, but their leadership is very focused on money and that leads them to take on tasks that require them to work long hours and for very little gain.

They bring in management from various parts of the country and it causes them to lose touch with the area of the country they are in. Their canvassing maps commonly included having to cross highways or major streets often and they had canvassers out till 8pm or 9pm which is just unsafe and certainly inconsiderate to voters.

They also expect you to ignore basic courtesy, I had a supervisor train me and they continuously knocked on the door of a house even though they saw a woman with a toddler under one arm and groceries in the other go into the house not a full minute before he knocked.

Overall their people are nice, but they are rough around the edges and it shows in a lot of ways.
Pros
Lots of bonus opportunities
Cons
late hours, canvassing in bad parts of town late at night.
Terrible Job Preying on Progressive Passion
Field manager (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAMarch 17, 2018
Avoid Grassroots Campaigns at all costs. Grassroots creates profit for its CEO by taking college-aged progressives, people who see problems with society and want to affect real change, telling these progressives that they can affect real change through Grassroots, and then working them to the bone by making pay-scale a competition between workers, and by always blaming the canvasser for not being able to solicit donations from random people on the street. It is the worst kind of company, one which claims to have a humanitarian goal but which actually just wants to wring people dry for profit. Avoid Grassroots Campaigns at all costs.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Grassroots Campaigns. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.4InHerSight Score

2.6Personal Development

2.9Career Opportunities

1.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight