Grassroots Team
Happiness rating is 64 out of 100

Working at Grassroots Team: 34 Reviews

United States34 reviews

cultureteamhourpeoplegooddaypayworking

Great place to work if you want to make a difference!

I really loved my DC team! Everyone truly cares about making a difference in the world and fighting for justice. Canvassing is a great way to gain experience in the field of activism and make a difference in the community as well as build skills from self-management to public speaking. Tons of opportunities for bonusing and moving into leadership positions. BUT Canvassing is a super hard job, and if you aren't truly passionate about the cause/fighting for change then you will really struggle with the long, late hours, working in all weather conditions, walking all day, and the rude people we run into at the door. If activism isn't your passion, this may not be the place for you.

Decent job trying to provide positive change within the community.

This job was overall just okay. My employment here was short for some significant reasons. One reason is that the turnover rate is very high. You see people come and go all the time. Another reason is that you have to continuously recite the script and prompt which isn’t very hard but it is mind boggling. Lastly everybody’s door that you approach most people will either look at you like you are some disgusting vermin and tell you to go away or give you an excuse like “sorry we are moving, sick, or etc”. It’s very clear that most people don’t want to be bothered and the ones that say they will donate most likely will not. I’m just here giving you the inside scoop. Apply at your own risk.

Pros

Full benefits after 90 days, Two 15 min breaks plus 1 hour lunch, Friendly Staff and HR

Cons

High turnover, Rude homeowners, Disorganized payroll system

Grassroots Team insights

What people like
  • Supportive environment
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Time and location flexibility
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Energizing work tasks

Ok temp job

Went in hoping to do some good work while in the DMV, ending up working as a door-to-door salesperson for a cause I support but am not heavily invested in. People at the door look at you like a parasite and try their best to brush you off with some of the dumbest excuses imaginable. Turnover is so high they take people off review who haven't met quota for weeks. Directors continuously reiterate the script and have canvassers recite it ad nauseum. Resembles Sorry to Bother You to a scary degree, honestly. The one saving grace is the team there, but again, attrition means you probably won't see many faces stay around. The ones I've met are cool, though.

Positive and Uplifting Environment

They are exceedingly encouraging, always enabling one to stay within a positive mindset, and offer useful feedback alongside actionable advice to better one’s performance. This is a very active job, you’re looking to walk about 15,000 steps a day- But for someone looking to stay/become more fit, that’s another positive. The main Con, and this was more so poor timing for all parties involved, was a shift in Field Director. This was a bit jarring as I had only just completed my training before having to wait for the new Field Director to become active.

Great summer job

I had a great time at Grassroots as a field canvasser. I was able to go door to door and helped spread awareness about campaign. I’ve also met some amazing people along the way

Pros

Great work space, diverse group of people, persistent and motivated colleagues

Cons

No cons

Truly My Favorite Job I’ve Had

Fast paced and often difficult work for those unaccustomed to canvassing like myself, but the effort that you put in is rewarded in terms of recognition from management and general experience. It’s a great environment staffed with dedicated, passionate and supportive people. The job itself is fascinating; it’s genuinely such a wonderful experience to interface with hundreds of people across such diverse demographics. I’ve never felt more intimately involved with a community through my employment.

Pros

-Friendly! - Good Pay - Get to be outside - Meet new people - Good cause

Cons

Have to be outside for much of the day on your feet, Not every homeowner is kind to you, Quotas can be scary

Good place to be in for meaningful work!

I've been in fundraising for 3 years and the best experience I've had in the industry has been with Grassroots Team. I was with GT from the beginning, left to work elsewhere, and am currently back for a second stint. What made me come back was the culture the company has developed over the years and the respect I've had working with my peers and supervisors. Not to mention the mission GT is committed to, working with and providing great non-profits the sustained funds they need to actually do the great work they're known for.GT's work is entirely based on door to door or street canvassing. Canvassing isn't for everyone, but if you're a good communicator, good at dealing with rejection, fine walking around neighborhoods for 5 hours (even if the weather is awful) and most of all driven and motivated by the causes GT represents, it's a good job to be in and opens doors you would never expect, as it has for me. GT heavily values internal promotion and if you are good at canvassing, love the mission, and show leadership intangibles it's an unexpected way to build a career for yourself in this field if you want it, as it did for me.I think there is room for improvement when it comes to staff retention and leadership communication on policy changes. We have a quota system and there's no doubt that it can stress canvassers out sometimes. It's an experience I've gone through .But overall I do believe everyone in the company from the top down is here for the right reasons, and that intention is carried out in our work.

Working in a grass root was an exciting experience the team was hardworking and providing you a friendly environment.

I loved working with the Grass root team. they work for the betterment of society. You will enjoy communicating with people each day with different kinds of people you can meet, as a canvasser You can get a good picture of the society. They provide a good and friendly environment where you can express yourself and your skills.

I Love It Here

As a black man I felt seen. I felt heard and was given a real opportunity to grow and develop as a leader. I loved working for an organization that wanted to make change in a real tangible way. I've been in the workforce prior and nothing gave me a sense of purpose quite like this. At every job you have a quota, production, deadlines, etc., so if you are able to implement feedback you will succeed.

Decent place to work

It was okay. I was able to get into a management position very quickly, it only took a couple of months before I was running my own office. There's crazy opportunity for advancement if you put your head down and work hard. It was was a good place to grow my skills, but I got fired after someone tried to r**e me in our office space so there's that. I put my heart and soul into that company and they literally fired me for almost getting r***d and killed. I was subsequently blacklisted from sister organizations. They gave me everything then ripped it all away.

I am traumatized by my experience with management at this company.

The teams you work with are amazing, hourly, entry level staff are passionate and there is a strong culture of support within individual offices.Upper management is literally the worst management experience I've had in my life. Many Directors I know of (or ex directors, including myself) have had nightmares, broken down crying, have been micromanaged to the minute of their days, and overall its just. HORRIBLE.I would only recommend working with this company if you are desperate for a quick buck - the pay can be good if you are a good canvasser. However, be wary of advancement - you will be viewed as expendable and a transaction.

Pros

Fun teams, mission driven, decent pay

Cons

Micromanagement, emotional labor, high stress, high turnover, you arent valued as a person, quota is more important than your well being.

Healthy work environment , supportive, flexible, transparent.

While canvassing is not for everyone, grassroots management understands the difficulties of the position. Grassroots has a healthy work environment and directors always have your back as long as you are fulfilling what is required of you. As a non-profit, grassroots is transparent and very good with their employees. Every day is different which gives the job a sense of agility and many daily interactions we have are wholesome making all of our efforts as canvassers worth it. GT also has a great reward system with bonus systems, promotions and daily competitions .

Flexible

Easy going. Friendly atmosphere and a good job for someone socially outgoing and in need of more walking exercise. The employees there were super friendly and respectful of pronouns and anything else LGBTQ+ related.

Cultivates confidence & sharpens communication skills

I’ve been here for awhile now. GT Denver leadership was quick to clock my passion for human rights, and they’ve done a lot to empower me as a person. The first few weeks of the job can feel disorienting (I even say that with previous experience), but GT also has one of the most comprehensive training structures in the canvassing industry. Trainers invest a lot of time to cultivate one's skills & confidence if they recognize sincere passion for the issues. The hours are definitely not for everyone, but there wouldn’t be many people at home to talk to if the shift started earlier. Obviously, canvassing itself isn’t the easiest job. Spoiler alert: there will be some people at the door who disagree with what we do & have to say, but that comes with the territory. The most stressful part of canvassing itself is usually the quota system, but that also comes with the territory. The bonus system makes it worth it though!Success comes from using factual information paired with basic emotional appeal to inspire complete strangers to take action. Most days, the biggest battle is about fighting complacency, not flat-out bigotry. Do keep in mind that no social movement ever made progress without looking various forms of opposition in the eye. With that in mind, the Directors do prioritize team safety while we talk about “hot button” issues. They also take intersectionality of identities into account when they delegate teams and turf pairs.I am proud that I get to generate a critical dialogue about human rights in the communities we canvass. I sincerely love that this job requires me -

Pros

fantastic team culture, contributing to society

Cons

hours, sometimes the quota system

A Good Job

A very good job that has an amazing crew that will work hard to help you succeed in a honestly very demanding environment. This job is hard and stressful. But its for a good cause and theres no easy way to get this job done. You can reach out and you can ask for help. Its a very transparent job. The quota is really hard to deal with if you're easily stressed but otherwise its great.

Pros

Meaningful work, Good coworkers, flexable

Cons

Short breaks, stressful quota, outside after dark

Good for a starter position

I was there for almost a year, It was a good way to get my foot into non profit fundraising. They were a start up company back then and each office had different methods to training and gaining donors, so overall it was a little unorganized from time to time. Nonetheless the most meaningful job I’ve ever had. The pay is good, the bonus system was amazing.

Pros

Bonuses

Cons

Pressure from hirer ups

Promotes professional and personal growth

Grassroots Team has supported me in my professional and personal growth. I have been given the opportunity to advance within the company and continue developing my skills. What I enjoy the most is the collaboration and support from all the team members to defend human rights.

Pros

Great people, professional growth, culture

Hard work with a great purpose

Being a canvasser isn't the easiest job in the world, but perhaps one of the most rewarding ones. It takes time to learn and adapt to the role but once you have been staffed everything slows down and becomes easier. Team culture is perhaps the biggest thing here. Everyone is so supportive and the team is awesome which makes work extremely enjoyable. It's hard work but the work done is so important and it feels good to get paid to work on issues we are very passionate about. There is also plenty of advancement opportunities if you work hard and enjoy the role.

Pros

Good pay, supportive team, being outdoors

Cons

Not your average work schedule

Passionate People Working on Progressive Causes

What I love most about Grassroots Team, is that it genuinely wants to create positive change in the progressive space. The level of integrity from the top down makes it a truly inspiring place to work. Even more so, GT invests heavily in their staff. They have robust training programs so folks can move up quickly, they pay living wages and benefits, take DEI incredibly seriously, and there is constant communication between all levels of the organization. It's a great place to work - Awesome people working on awesome campaigns.

Pros

Great people and team dynamic, great pay + benefits, career opportunities to move up and grow skills & knowledge working in the progressive space

Fun supportive workplace with plenty of room for advancement!

This job has been an opportunity for both making positive meaningful change in the world and also for personal growth. They invest a lot in leadership skills and promote rapidly. My favorite aspect of the job is the work culture. So many interesting different types of people aligned to make the world a better place and defend human rights. It's been an incredible life changing experience.

Pros

Working outside and getting exercise.

Cons

Sometimes the weather can be a drag.

Door-to-door sales for nonprofits

The entire job is walking through neighborhoods ringing doorbells and trying to get people to donate to a nonprofit on a monthly basis. It's rewarding to bring revenue into a good organization but the door-to-door system is taxing no matter what. You're expected to meet a quota that's not easy to reach and people aren't usually willing to listen to your pitch, especially when the weather is bad. Some really people seem to push through and do well but there is a really high turnover rate.

Pros

Decent hourly pay for an entry level job, Lots of cool and friendly young people work here, Rewarding to contribute to nonprofits

Cons

High turnover because the quota is difficult to meet, A freezing or rainy weather day means you're going door-to-door in freezing or rainy weather

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Grassroots Team. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.3 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Compare Grassroots Team with

Grassroots Team reviews by popular job title

• Grassroots Team