Gray Television Employee Reviews

Nice making your own schedule
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Grand Island, NE 68801July 3, 2018
Being outside of the office most of the day was nice. Upper Management was good at picking and choosing their favorites, and bad mouthing people who left the company.
productive
Media Control (Current Employee) –  North Augusta, SCJune 1, 2018
due to the team synergy here, we typically get things done rather quickly and efficiently. This leads to a lot of opportunities to learn new things and get to know more about the various aspects of the business so long as you're willing to work with everybody.
Stressful working environment with several often-conflicting goals.
Master Control Operator (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAMarch 1, 2018
Good bonus program. Few raises. Job titles are fluid and duties are constantly being added. Insurance package is good. The amount of paid time off is very good.
Pros
Lots of Paid Time Off
Cons
Stressful fast paced working environment
Cool
News Photographer (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 20, 2018
Great local people at the station, but the company is hard to deal with. Hard shifts, stressful shifts, and no tips baby. Hard to maintain a social life at times.
Productive and fun workplace!
Technical Director (Former Employee) –  Laredo, TXDecember 8, 2017
Everyone here is very friendly and educated. Work is non-stop but we have our moments of absolute fun. Our boss is active communicative and very detailed-oriented.
Gray TV
Marketing Partner (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VANovember 29, 2017
TV Advt. is a Commision based job, I like that, but do not appreciate being disrespected, lied to and harrassed. My Clients liked me, they are the ones who paid me by building trusting relationships.
Pros
You Earn what You work for, supposedly
Cons
Cut-throat, biased & childish behavior - CEO wasn't in on my situation.
Sink or Swim
Digital Media Director (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAOctober 8, 2017
I was given the job when management appeared to be unable to find anyone else to take the position. I received little guidance, which may have been a common thread at the time.
Probably the worse place I've ever worked
Technical Media Producer (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDSeptember 20, 2017
I was treated like garbage by management and several coworkers. Had brought several issues to attention and never saw any results. I was expected to do the jobs of several people while others in my same position would do nothing. Basically this job is not worth the pathetic 11 bucks an hour that you'd be getting.
Pros
My family now talks to me again
Cons
Terrible management
Lots of Flexibility!
Associate Vice President, Human Resources (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 21, 2017
Love this company! There's always something new to learn and lots of opportunity for growth. Leadership's very open about new developments and schedules are flexible for new parents. One of the best jobs I've ever had!
Great introduction to television
Technical Media Producer (Current Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAJuly 30, 2017
I enjoy almost everyone I work with at Gray. The people are friendly and most are passionate about what they do. The pay is unsatisfactory unless you are a member of management. Corporate has cut about 20 jobs at our station and the station is suffering for it. However, I believe most of the people come into work with a positive attitude and work hard to produce a good product. It is a great introduction to the world of television, and for market 186, it feels like a bigger station.
Pros
Nice people; free lunch once a month; benefits (although rates are quite high).
Cons
low pay; so few people work there that any bad apples REALLY stand out.
Poor Management
Anchor/Reporter (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NEJune 23, 2017
Some of this company, especially the particular stations where I worked, is poorly managed. The stations in Nebraska, with the exception of Omaha, are terrible places to work.
Most of the managers have terrible quality control, are in over their heads, and are not focused on the product and their staff. News staff schedules change constantly and without notice.
If you enjoy never having the same schedule, same days off each week, being surrounded by managers that pretend they know what they're talking about, but in reality are making horrible decisions that make no sense, then this is the place for you.
By combining operations partly with four stations that are connected to the Lincoln office, you have major deconstruction in communication, accuracy, and quality. It isn't working, but they have a lot of money in it, so this is the norm: lots of people who have no idea what they're doing.
Pros
None. No paid lunches, no holiday parties, no staff appreciation, no wellness program
Cons
Hourly staff are forced to lie on their timecards so that they don't get overtime.
Great Remote Work
Digital Engineer (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, ILJune 14, 2017
Every day is something new and challenging. The culture is to advance yourself and the company as best as possible! It's encouraged to find ways to advance your own skill set. If you find a better way to do something, it's encouraged to implement it!
Best place to work period.
Broadcast Engineer (Current Employee) –  Casper, WYMay 26, 2017
I've never had a job that's treated me as well as this one. The people are friendly, management is very helpful. The benefits are great. Ive never had a better experience at a job.
Good company
Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Flint, MIFebruary 19, 2017
No complaints, sales department is 100% commission. Benefits are adequate, time off not the best. Only 6 holidays a year.
Pros
Local
Cons
100% Commission
Busy and fun
Credit and Collections Specialist (Current Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLJanuary 18, 2017
Verifying credit, contact agencies on past due accounts, create spread sheets, working discrepancy invoices
· Reducing Account Receivable delinquency· Provide excellent customer service· Internal and external customer interface· Contact agencies 90-120+ to reduce account delinquency· Reconcile customer disputes as they pertain to payment of outstanding balances· Notify all stations regarding invoice discrepancy· Verify agencies who would like to do business with our company· Preform credit investigations for new clients and use my discretion to recommend a credit limit
Pros
good pay and health benifits
Cons
distance
Exciting and fun workplace with a sense of family.
Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Meridian, MSJanuary 10, 2017
Really the best opportunity I've enjoyed. I'm always learning new ways to increase my sales and make more money. It's been great for my family and personal life as well.
Great Company
Traffic Hub Clerk (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLMarch 19, 2016
Lots of room for advancement, good pay, but health benefits could use some work. The PTO is awesome. This is a good career start and oppurtunity for anyone.
Pros
Great career oppurtunities
Cons
Health Insurance
Too judgemental and stressful
Traffic Hub Clerk (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLJanuary 25, 2016
This was one of the worst experiences at a job ever. The turn over rate is extremely high.The job is stressful to say the least.
Great Atmoshphere
Front Desk Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VAAugust 13, 2015
WHSV is a wonderful place to work. From the moment that you start your job here, they make you feel completely at home. This is a very high paced atmosphere though. There will be time for play occasionally but it is also very important that you work is done properly and within a timely manor.
Pros
They make you feel at home
Cons
Very busy
Gray Television, Inc
Fixed Asset Accountant (Current Employee) –  Albany, GAJuly 19, 2015
Gray is a great company to work for. Excellent benefits package. A typical day is fast paced and deadline oriented. No micro-managing was required because you knew what was expected of you each day. Gray is a publicly traded company and therefore it is necessary for us work as a team in order to meet the filing deadlines.
Pros
No Micro-Managing
Cons
The local office transferred to Atlanta