Gray Television Employee Reviews

Productive, yet fun place to work. Values employee’s opinions.
Multimedia Journalist - Intern (Current Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAApril 18, 2019
Loved working for Gray TV. They always worked well with communicating with my local station and kept us up to date. The company cares about its employees and started a health initiative.
Strict and overworked, underpaid
Master Control Operator (Former Employee) –  Grand Junction, COApril 16, 2019
We were understaffed and underpaid, minimum wage full-time. Paid time off barely happened, super strict supervisors. Worked for three months and was told they didn't want me due to the first three months being a "probationary" period, even though I moved from part time to full time after the first two weeks. Understaffed by too much, the news director was doing production two jobs at once, now the IT guy took my position as master control until they find someone else. Got fired two weeks after the other master control person got fired. Barely ever saw my boss, never saw the general manager. Stressful, fast, constant.
Pros
can watch TV
Cons
strict, fake benefits, 15 min breaks on an 8 hour shift, no communiction
Good starter company
Journalist/Reporter (Former Employee) –  Harrisonburg, VAMarch 20, 2019
Tension was thick and management rarely had answers. Lots of pressure to perform but very little constructive feedback. Most people went on to successful jobs in great markets.
Do not work here
ASSOCIATE, TRAFFIC OPERATIONS (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJanuary 14, 2019
There is no advancement opportunities.Salary is below average for field. Workers are asked to do more work for less pay. The company wasn't so bad at first, but is definitely going downhill.
Soul sucking media factory.
Account Executive/Sales (Former Employee) –  USAJanuary 2, 2019
Gray Television cares about their shareholders a lot, but does not care about many employees. Their management is not to be trusted at all. If you wish to give up your soul for money - Gray is a great place for you.
Pros
Not many if any.
Cons
Poor management, low moral, only short term thinking allowed.
Nothing to Report
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Grand Junction, CONovember 6, 2018
The Office Manager is a challenge to work with. Although she is extremely knowledgeable about the station and how it runs and is dedicated to a fault, her approach needs some softer touches.
Prepare to work for free!
Backpack journalist (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEOctober 25, 2018
Gray regularly undermines employees' personal lives and treats them as disposable. Advancement is impossible without working constantly off the clock.
Pros
slightly better pay than other competing TV stations in the market
Cons
PTO not honored, inflexible and unreliable schedules, incompetent management, failing equipment and building, understaffed and overworked
AVOID Gray station in Knoxville, horrible experience
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNOctober 24, 2018
Honestly, this was BY FAR the worst job I have ever had and pray to never have another one like it. Employee morale and management is a HUGE issue and will always be until they gut the place from the top up and start over. I never thought I'd be saying this about a company as it should never be able to get to this point, but it's the absolute truth. Those in charge have been for a while and I am convinced do not have any reasonable or genuine sort of leadership or compassion for their employees. They are going to do what they want to do regardless of who they lie to and hurt to get there. I read reviews similar to this before taking the job and wished I would have taken them seriously. I thought there was no way a place could be so immoral. While at WVLT, I was left with a bunch of unfulfilled promises and taken full advantage of. Please AVOID at all costs. No job is worth your happiness. I have moved on from this place and have finally found how a true newsroom should operate and what true leadership and support feels like. No job is perfect (not even this new position) but WVLT runs a whole different environment that I personally do not feel should be acceptable.

A bad leader can take a good staff and destroy it, causing even the best employees to flee and the remainder to lose all motivation.
Pros
Decent benefits and job to get your foot in the door
Cons
Please consider finding real guidance and a strong team of motivators.
Great company for a learning station
Office/Business Manager (Current Employee) –  Odessa, TXSeptember 19, 2018
This is a great company for a learning station but the salaries do not match the jobs that I do and have seen. there is not a hard part of the job it comes easy for me and I love meeting new people and interacting with the staff.
Great Place to work
Accounting Manager (Former Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLAugust 21, 2018
Team atmosphere with great leadership. Structured accounting system with great attention to detail. Weekly and monthly recognition programs to celebrate milestones and achievements.
Pros
Job on-boarding program
You have to really love the career
Reporter (Former Employee) –  Topeka, KSJuly 16, 2018
I learned a lot while working at a Gray Television Station. It taught me how to thrive under deadlines and gave me the tools to think on my feet if ever a problem should arise. I really enjoyed working in the Sports Department and being able to travel to different events. However, it got to a point where I was working seven days a week and was completely burned out by year 3. If you really love the job then this is the place for you. If you're one foot in and one foot out, I don't think this would be a job for you.
Pros
Learning experience
Cons
Little to no work life balance.
Nice making your own schedule
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Grand Island, NE 68801July 3, 2018
Being outside of the office most of the day was nice. Upper Management was good at picking and choosing their favorites, and bad mouthing people who left the company.
productive
Media Control (Current Employee) –  North Augusta, SCJune 1, 2018
due to the team synergy here, we typically get things done rather quickly and efficiently. This leads to a lot of opportunities to learn new things and get to know more about the various aspects of the business so long as you're willing to work with everybody.
Stressful working environment with several often-conflicting goals.
Master Control Operator (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAMarch 1, 2018
Good bonus program. Few raises. Job titles are fluid and duties are constantly being added. Insurance package is good. The amount of paid time off is very good.
Pros
Lots of Paid Time Off
Cons
Stressful fast paced working environment
Cool
News Photographer (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAFebruary 20, 2018
Great local people at the station, but the company is hard to deal with. Hard shifts, stressful shifts, and no tips baby. Hard to maintain a social life at times.
Productive and fun workplace!
Technical Director (Former Employee) –  Laredo, TXDecember 8, 2017
Everyone here is very friendly and educated. Work is non-stop but we have our moments of absolute fun. Our boss is active communicative and very detailed-oriented.
Gray TV
Marketing Partner (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VANovember 29, 2017
TV Advt. is a Commision based job, I like that, but do not appreciate being disrespected, lied to and harrassed. My Clients liked me, they are the ones who paid me by building trusting relationships.
Pros
You Earn what You work for, supposedly
Cons
Cut-throat, biased & childish behavior - CEO wasn't in on my situation.
Sink or Swim
Digital Media Director (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAOctober 8, 2017
I was given the job when management appeared to be unable to find anyone else to take the position. I received little guidance, which may have been a common thread at the time.
Probably the worse place I've ever worked
Technical Media Producer (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDSeptember 20, 2017
I was treated like garbage by management and several coworkers. Had brought several issues to attention and never saw any results. I was expected to do the jobs of several people while others in my same position would do nothing. Basically this job is not worth the pathetic 11 bucks an hour that you'd be getting.
Pros
My family now talks to me again
Cons
Terrible management
Lots of Flexibility!
Associate Vice President, Human Resources (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 21, 2017
Love this company! There's always something new to learn and lots of opportunity for growth. Leadership's very open about new developments and schedules are flexible for new parents. One of the best jobs I've ever had!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gray Television. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.9InHerSight Score

2.3Personal Development

3.4Career Opportunities

2.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight