Graybar Electric Company, Inc. Employee Reviews

great place
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Walker, MIJuly 19, 2018
was a great work experience ... hard work .. tedious ... management and coworkers were very kind knowledgeable willing to train and explain .. couldnt ask for a better place to work.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Outside Industrial Sales Rep (Current Employee) –  Wheeling, WVJuly 16, 2018
Graybar has been an exceptional company to work for although I have concerns with the compensation and how it will be adjusted. The atmosphere is very relaxed compared to what I was used to.
Great place to work if you are happy with making a lower scale wage.
Warehouse Manager (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJuly 14, 2018
Graybar is a awesome place to work. The benefits are fantastic. However they use those benefits as a reason to pay a lower wage. They are definitely way under the median average on pay for every position across the board except well you guessed it the top positions. They also don't like to invest in materials and equipment to help with daily operations nor there employees. Overall it is a good company to work for just don't expect to make a dignified wage.
Benefits
Cons
Pay
Official response from Graybar Electric Company, Inc.
July 16, 2018

Thanks for leaving a comment. We actually benchmark our salaries regularly and we are well within the median for our roles. Our total compensation package is also very generous with a 401k match, profit sharing and stock purchase plan, along with affordable benefits.

Great Company
Charleston - Sr Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Charleston,WVJuly 11, 2018
Graybar Electric was a Great Company to work for. I just wanted to try something else. worked there for 31 1/2 years. Graybar has a very good training program. Great people to work for and everyone becomes like a family. It is a employee owned company and you can start buying stock after a couple of years,
Do not work in south bend indiana
Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  South Bend, INJuly 8, 2018
Bad branch manager, not qualified for this position. Office moral is terrible. The worst place to work. The manager at this location writes everyone up for small mistakes
Slow paced, easy work.
Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn Park, MNJuly 3, 2018
A typical day at Graybar is pretty easy and the same routine everyday. I learned how to pack and check orders, pack pallets as well as alot of other things. Management was very understanding and helpful. hardest part of the job was the export shipments.
Don’t be fooled-says one thing then acts on another
Pricing Specialist (Former Employee) –  ArizonaJuly 1, 2018
Advancements within are not as common as they brag. Doesn’t matter how great your performance evaluations were. If you were old school, you can getaway with acting like you were working an not. My manager did that for over a year and still remains. Yet an eager qualified person like me was not given opportunities in over 9 positions I was qualified for. Never even got to interview even though the rules said you at least had to be interviewed.
Had seen individuals change into 4 positions within1 year while others are not. So much for fairness.
Was denied opportunities to helping the better of the company. Human Resources did nothing when approached 4 times of hostile work environment.
Feel I was blacklisted because the errors my boss made.
Pros
Employee owned stock options
Cons
Bad managers not held accountable
Delivery and sales of electrical products
Counter Sales (Former Employee) –  South Burlington, VTJune 24, 2018
I started as a delivery driver . Loaded and delivered the products to the customers. Then i was moved to an inside counter sales representative. built a good report with the customers.
Pros
product knowledge
Cons
Not all the proper work tools
Working at Graybar
PURCHASING ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Bel-Ridge, MOJune 14, 2018
My day consisted of logging on to the computer and checking for items to added to locations under my purview, I would then check and place my orders and place. I would set up returns for the different suppliers that I worked with.
Productive and fun
Receiving Lead (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 12, 2018
Graybar was a great place to worked at. The environment was good, the managers was good, the pay was good and the company has other options for you to further you your career.
Pros
Good environment
Cons
Only cares about the bottom line $$ not supporting it employess
Quotations Specialist (Former Employee) –  ColoradoJune 7, 2018
a Quotations.. about 5 years. GOT Bids with 5 yrs contracts 3 to 5 million .Because that out side sells reps and acct. Mangers did not do there job meeting a very high budgets. Set by Corp. Managers Impossible to mee
Pros
Not one..
Cons
No support Low pay raises
I never felt comfortable the time I was there
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Mobile, ALMay 22, 2018
I always felted like everyone was waiting for you to say the wrong thing are make a mistake. No one was willing to do anything outside of their job description. Was not a very friendly work environment, to many little groups that was on their own.
Pros
It was a job with a few good people
Cons
I have never heard that's not my job so many times
good job atmosphere
Inventory Control Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 18, 2018
Extremely long days as i would work 84 hours a week for up to 4 months at a time. good pay, but not very much time off. they would pay per diem and and lunch once a month
Graybar was a good place to work.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKMay 18, 2018
I worked as a customer service representative answering phone and email correspondence, taking orders and processing quote request for material. I learned to use Graybar's computer system from SAP and became proficient with different programs from many of our vendors. It was a fast paced environment and I enjoyed keeping busy. I had to set priorities to keep the customers taken care of and there is a lot of satisfaction in taking pride in your work.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
effected by slow economy
Meeting large expectation in a new market for GB
Commercial Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHMay 15, 2018
As sales rep in commercial space my role has been exciting in the beginning of my tenure with GB, but management changed its direction with the Program I was hired to do. this made it difficult to cover an emerging market with old way of doing things.
Pros
leader inthe industry
Cons
direction has old tendancies legacy minded
It was a fast paced job
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Carteret, NJMay 14, 2018
You needed to learn to move quickly and do thing accurately in order to do this job. You were essentially timed while doing your job. It was a fun place to work.
Find something else
Project Specialist (Former Employee) –  North DakotaMay 14, 2018
No training, you're on your own the second you start. Management is only looking out for itself, there is no support for support staff.
Harassment in the work place and face repercussions if you turn it in. After 3 years of working my tail off there, my position was eliminated after a very pompous sales rep took it higher that his accounts were not prioritized over other sales reps. He treated me unfairly and sweetened up management. I unfortunately didn't stand a chance- I would suggest looking elsewhere. You won't find happiness here.
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
Management/Support is a joke
Great Company but horrible pay for anyone below mgt
District Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 13, 2018
The pay for anyone less than management is well below the industry average. You can easily see that just by clicking on the insights button. The managers are mostly unwilling to own up to their own mistakes and the company will not get out of its own way and let itself succeed. If they would act like they realize that the people at the bottom are just as important as the people at the top it would be the perfect place for a career. In the end they are not really worth working for unless you can get into mid-level management.
Great place to work for!
Material Handler / CSR - Will Call (Current Employee) –  Renton, WAMay 10, 2018
Is a very good company to work for since it is owned by it's employee also they offer profit sharing among other great benefits and there is a lot of room to grow in the company work is hard but it pays off the company always strives to keep a safety environment to work the only thing is when it gets busy must expect to stay over time without hesitation otherwise expect rejection from co workers.
Pros
1 hour lunc plus 2 15 min breaks
Cons
micromanaging on those who do not fit in
Finance Manager (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 1, 2018
Starting my career, Graybar gave me the opportunity to build on my financial knowledge and introduce me to the business world out of college. I would recommend this company.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Graybar Electric Company, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.8

2.5Personal Development

3.2Career Opportunities

2.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight