Great American Insurance Group Employee Reviews

Poor management
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHDecember 17, 2018
Management out of touch with employees. The employees that do their work end up getting more dumped and expected on them. No recognition for hard work or going the extra mile. Also GA states that they encourage advancement but applied for other jobs in the company and didn't receive any, politics are everywhere.
Pros
Ample PTO days, 401k, good co-workers
Cons
Downtown parking, compensation
Great Place to Work!
IT Support (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHOctober 15, 2018
Great American is truly a great place to work and grow your career. They have an awesome work/life balance and care about their culture. They have a very casual environment and a high focus on security for their customers and employees.
Pros
Relaxed Culture
Job at Great American
Sr Commercial Umbrella & Excess Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KSJanuary 28, 2019
okay job to pay the bills, wish i had quit before being laidoff seems they like to micro manage a experience employee which was a waste if nt time and expected a lot of travel
Pros
work from home
Cons
seems they continue to raise the bar for job exeptions
great company
B/A Cognos Developer (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJanuary 30, 2019
its a great company to work for. everyday is different and with me its mostly the management that works better with people and helps encouarge everyone. Team work is the important culture here. The hardest part of the job is having people or team members that have been with the company for more than 10 years and hesitant to share information.
Ultra conservative
Associate Underwriter (Former Employee) –  TexasSeptember 16, 2018
To Management - The harder you work, the more work you give me. I'm check to check and we do not see being able to afford a small house in our lifetime working here. They do not reward talent and they just don't recognize it. I am way under utilized.
Pros
It's a job
Cons
Overly cheap with employees, 1980s furniture and culture, ZERO work flex time, need PTO for a doctors appt, overly micro managed and if you havent worked there long or not inside a circle, your are just out and they talk about you. Very tit-for-tat culture.
Great company to learn the insurance business
Senior Claim Representative (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHOctober 17, 2018
I've learned about the insurance industry working at Great American Insurance Group. I've also been able to achieve professional designations. The company values work/life balance.
Challenging projects utilizing diverse strategies
Divisional Senior Vice Prsident (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHNovember 3, 2018
Appropriately challenging environment with an entrepreneurial spirit. I was involved with setting strategies, company acquisitions, development of staff, and the introduction of new technologies. I felt everyday was an adventure. I went from supporting daily operations for all GAI Corporate Systems along with various financial systems for the parent company - American Financial Group to being invited to various c-level meetings. For example, there were times when I was told to be at Lunken Airport and be prepared for a two day acquisition trip. I enjoyed the challenges of understanding the corporate strategies and socializing the strategy with my teams.

In my current role at Ohio National Financial Services, I put together various application roadmaps and strategies to support distribution and compensation systems for Agents. My team was very instrumental in delivering the Oracle Cloud ERP environment. I have also worked on the Architecture Review committee defining ONFS enterprise Architecture. While I find this very rewarding work, it has been extremely frustrating trying to get leadership to support these efforts. I want to be in a position where I can add value based on my strong technical and business abilities. I want to be in a more innovative position.
I enjoyed the department I worked in
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, KSSeptember 13, 2018
My immediate boss and VP were both very easy to work for and the environment was always good. I enjoyed coming into work every day and they offered a fabulous work/life balance for me.
Cons
Pay ins't high enough
great Staff. Adminstative Assistants always included
Processing Supervisor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 6, 2018
Setting up claims, attaching incoming Correspondence. monitoring billing from Law Firms. Managers depended on your support and showed appreciation.

Everyone received perks & additional benefits
Overall, good company
Territory Manager (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJuly 30, 2018
The company is high profile, offers great perks and opportunities for advancement.
I had great managers thru the years and loved the challenge. Overall, a good company to work for.
Pros
Work environment
Cons
Health insurance
job at great american
Sr Commercial Umbrella & Excess policy underwriter (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KSJanuary 25, 2019
okay job, little to no advance opportunities in the past 14 years I worked them they keep pushing the bar and like to micro manage

they only cared about the numbers, e
Pros
Cons
working from home I felt I was on a istand easf
Good pay, very tedious
Intern (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJanuary 1, 2019
The job definitely pays well, and they start their interns at the same rate as full time workers. It gets very tedious very fast, and frequent breaks are necessary to keep up productivity.
A Typical day of work
Senior field claim representative (Former Employee) –  ConnecticutJanuary 10, 2019
Typical day of work was to receive assignments to do appraisals on vehicles damaged and collisions submit work to supervisor payments were made in office appointments were made by you to set up your schedule
Pros
Planned my day of work
Cons
Planned my day of work
Great Actuarial Culture
Actuarial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJune 19, 2018
Many opportunities to learn and grow from great Actuaries with valuable experience. The culture here is in line with a employee focused culture, as they want to ensure competitiveness through providing employees a happy and productive environment.
Downtown environment is awesome, can be enjoyable company
QA Analyst (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHOctober 10, 2018
Overall, a good place to work. However, current dept is more focused on delivering multiple projects versus quality. And people can easily get burnt out with high expectations and spread too thin.
Current dept had no formal training.
Pros
Downtown, remote work ability, good pay
Cons
focus on volume vs quality, little to no formal training
Fun work environment
IT Claims Business Analyst (Contractor) (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHMay 19, 2018
Great place to work, management was always willing to help. Work load would get tough at times, but you could always get through. They have a fitness room for all employees. Exercise classes offered along with spinning classes. This helps break the day up because you could exercise during your lunch break.
Pros
People, management
Cons
Work load could become heavy at times.
No longer in personal lines in NY
Senior Agency Manager (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYOctober 10, 2018
This company was great while it was around. They are no longer writing any personal lines business in the state of NY. I am uncertain if they are writing any personal lines any longer
Good company
Human Services Division Production Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHSeptember 5, 2018
I feel Great American Insurance was a great company to work for. Working the non-profit sector was a tough but enjoyable position. The only reason I left was for a better financial opportunity.
Productive and Forthright
Associate Business Research Analyst (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHSeptember 24, 2018
The hardest part of the job is adapting to the daily changes and procedures as we are always trying new ways to "make it simple" for customers. This job is forthright in the fact that we come into the office go straight to our desk and start processing. The most enjoyable part of the job is the team builder outings we have every quarter.
Pros
Free coffee, Work from home option
Cons
Short breaks
Great environment to work in and great people.
Claims Processor (Former Employee) –  Fargo, NDJune 1, 2018
Love working with my co-workers and staff at Great American. Location of the fargo office is great, also have spacious cubicles. Manager is easy to work with. Flexible with your schedule.
Pros
Flexible, good management.
Cons
Slower in the winter months

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Great American Insurance Group. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.7InHerSight Score

3.0Personal Development

2.1Career Opportunities

3.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight