Great American Insurance Group Employee Reviews

Must be related to management to move up
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHSeptember 20, 2018
They have no recognition of Veterans. You have to either sleep with management or be related to either management or the Linder family to get a promotion. They have horrible managers.
Benefits
Cons
The politics
Ultra conservative
Associate Underwriter (Former Employee) –  TexasSeptember 16, 2018
To Management - The harder you work, the more work you give me. I'm check to check and we do not see being able to afford a small house in our lifetime working here. They do not reward talent and they just don't recognize it. I am way under utilized.
Pros
It's a job
Cons
Overly cheap with employees, 1980s furniture and culture, ZERO work flex time, need PTO for a doctors appt, overly micro managed and if you havent worked there long or not inside a circle, your are just out and they talk about you. Very tit-for-tat culture.
great Staff. Adminstative Assistants always included
Processing Supervisor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 6, 2018
Setting up claims, attaching incoming Correspondence. monitoring billing from Law Firms. Managers depended on your support and showed appreciation.

Everyone received perks & additional benefits
Wonderful people, good work, great learning experinces
INTERN (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHSeptember 6, 2018
In the 5 years that i interned here at Great American, I have been given the oppertunity to branch out to other departments and learn new lines of business. In that time, I have met and worked with some very amazing people. The work that they had me doing, even as an intern, had a major influence in day to day functionaility of work. I've learned so much in the time that I've been with the company. Business practices, Insurance, and programming languages, as well as database structure.
Good company
Human Services Division Production Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHSeptember 5, 2018
I feel Great American Insurance was a great company to work for. Working the non-profit sector was a tough but enjoyable position. The only reason I left was for a better financial opportunity.
Overall, good company
Territory Manager (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJuly 30, 2018
The company is high profile, offers great perks and opportunities for advancement.
I had great managers thru the years and loved the challenge. Overall, a good company to work for.
Pros
Work environment
Cons
Health insurance
The most enjoyable part of my job
Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJuly 17, 2018
I enjoy my co-workers and the challenges of learn new things. I also enjoy the fact my co-workers feel confident in coming to me for help with issues.
Pros
Gym classes in the building and membership at low cost
Cons
Paying for parking
I enjoyed working at GAIG a great deal.
Administrative Assistant Claims Operations (Former Employee) –  Frisco, TXJune 26, 2018
The ECA division was a great place to be. There were a lot of changes, but I felt the managers were great at helping with new expectations. They were also understanding about family things.
Pros
Great managers
Cons
No overtime pay
Great Actuarial Culture
Actuarial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJune 19, 2018
Many opportunities to learn and grow from great Actuaries with valuable experience. The culture here is in line with a employee focused culture, as they want to ensure competitiveness through providing employees a happy and productive environment.
Great environment to work in and great people.
Claims Processor (Former Employee) –  Fargo, NDJune 1, 2018
Love working with my co-workers and staff at Great American. Location of the fargo office is great, also have spacious cubicles. Manager is easy to work with. Flexible with your schedule.
Pros
Flexible, good management.
Cons
Slower in the winter months
Fun work environment
IT Claims Business Analyst (Contractor) (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHMay 19, 2018
Great place to work, management was always willing to help. Work load would get tough at times, but you could always get through. They have a fitness room for all employees. Exercise classes offered along with spinning classes. This helps break the day up because you could exercise during your lunch break.
Pros
People, management
Cons
Work load could become heavy at times.
Not a good fit
Commercial Umbrella Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 4, 2018
I had joined company to write business in Iowa and Nebraska. I had told management that to write in these states you would have to consider food processing and farm equipment mfg. They told me they did not have a problem with classes of business. Once I joined company and present opportunities in these field, they decline to support.
Co-Workers all get along, unfortunately lead by a poor management team
Associate IT Security Analyst (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHMay 3, 2018
We have had good and bad managers, but the current group of managers in the Annuity Division for the most part of not good. Poor leadership and only focus on the bottom line of saving money. Highest turnover I have seen in years, and this is unfortunate. Great American is known for loyal employees, sad to see money becoming more important than taking care of staff.
Pros
Fun Co-Workers, Company events
Cons
Horrible Healthcare coverage and poor management
great place to work
Production Underwriting Specialist (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NY 13214April 26, 2018
loved my job there, if the program I managed was transferred out of state I wouldn't have left. I was program manager. Corporate restructure made my job change necessary.
Pros
flex hours
Cons
Not a fun place to work at
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 17, 2018
Very fast paced, not enough training, nothing is across the board everyone seems to be doing there own rules & regulations. The hardest job was trying to process the work in an 8 hour workday, hardly took lunch worked through lunches most of the time. I did enjoy some of my co-workers without the typical politics.
Pros
Company picnic
Cons
Short breaks
Exciting work environment with monthly in-office gatherings
Claims Representative (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHApril 15, 2018
A typical day at work involves processing insurance claims on vehicles and interacting with customers via telephone. I learned strong customer service skills at this position. This workplace environment is multicultural and upbeat. The hardest part of the job is handling situations with upset customers but the best part is being able to help them become more informed and lessen their stress.
Pros
Health benefits
Nice place to work
Sr. Underwriting Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHApril 13, 2018
I have enjoyed my years at Great American. They treat their employees very well. There are a lot of perks to the job. Educational experiences and lots of fun too.
Pros
great reputation & very profitable
Cons
my job has gotten too stressful
Friendly environment
IT Technology Intern (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHApril 12, 2018
mall mostly quiet office environment with little to no micromanagement. Get to work mostly in solitude. You get a nice spacious desk and cubicle. Thorough ongoing training program with supportive and friendly trainers that make you feel welcome. Most people there are friendly.
Loved Working at Great American
Application Analyst and Developer (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHMarch 20, 2018
I loved working at Great American. I had a great manager and enjoyed collaborating with my team. I ended up leaving to seek more competitive wages and to expand my skillset.
Pros
Owners are good people, and that permeates down through the organization.
Cons
I was not getting opportunities to advance my skill set.
Lots of travel
Marketing Representative (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHMarch 13, 2018
This was a nice place to work. I enjoyed my co-workers and the other marketers and adjusters. I enjoyed training new agents and helping them solve problems.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Great American Insurance Group. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about