Great American Insurance Group Employee Reviews

Great company to learn the insurance business
Senior Claim Representative (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHOctober 17, 2018
I've learned about the insurance industry working at Great American Insurance Group. I've also been able to achieve professional designations. The company values work/life balance.
Great Place to Work!
IT Support (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHOctober 15, 2018
Great American is truly a great place to work and grow your career. They have an awesome work/life balance and care about their culture. They have a very casual environment and a high focus on security for their customers and employees.
Pros
Relaxed Culture
No longer in personal lines in NY
Senior Agency Manager (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYOctober 10, 2018
This company was great while it was around. They are no longer writing any personal lines business in the state of NY. I am uncertain if they are writing any personal lines any longer
Downtown environment is awesome, can be enjoyable company
QA Analyst (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHOctober 10, 2018
Overall, a good place to work. However, current dept is more focused on delivering multiple projects versus quality. And people can easily get burnt out with high expectations and spread too thin.
Current dept had no formal training.
Pros
Downtown, remote work ability, good pay
Cons
focus on volume vs quality, little to no formal training
Productive and Forthright
Associate Business Research Analyst (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHSeptember 24, 2018
The hardest part of the job is adapting to the daily changes and procedures as we are always trying new ways to "make it simple" for customers. This job is forthright in the fact that we come into the office go straight to our desk and start processing. The most enjoyable part of the job is the team builder outings we have every quarter.
Pros
Free coffee, Work from home option
Cons
Short breaks
Ultra conservative
Associate Underwriter (Former Employee) –  TexasSeptember 16, 2018
To Management - The harder you work, the more work you give me. I'm check to check and we do not see being able to afford a small house in our lifetime working here. They do not reward talent and they just don't recognize it. I am way under utilized.
Pros
It's a job
Cons
Overly cheap with employees, 1980s furniture and culture, ZERO work flex time, need PTO for a doctors appt, overly micro managed and if you havent worked there long or not inside a circle, your are just out and they talk about you. Very tit-for-tat culture.
I enjoyed the department I worked in
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, KSSeptember 13, 2018
My immediate boss and VP were both very easy to work for and the environment was always good. I enjoyed coming into work every day and they offered a fabulous work/life balance for me.
Cons
Pay ins't high enough
great Staff. Adminstative Assistants always included
Processing Supervisor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 6, 2018
Setting up claims, attaching incoming Correspondence. monitoring billing from Law Firms. Managers depended on your support and showed appreciation.

Everyone received perks & additional benefits
Wonderful people, good work, great learning experinces
INTERN (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHSeptember 6, 2018
In the 5 years that i interned here at Great American, I have been given the oppertunity to branch out to other departments and learn new lines of business. In that time, I have met and worked with some very amazing people. The work that they had me doing, even as an intern, had a major influence in day to day functionaility of work. I've learned so much in the time that I've been with the company. Business practices, Insurance, and programming languages, as well as database structure.
Good company
Human Services Division Production Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHSeptember 5, 2018
I feel Great American Insurance was a great company to work for. Working the non-profit sector was a tough but enjoyable position. The only reason I left was for a better financial opportunity.
Overall, good company
Territory Manager (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJuly 30, 2018
The company is high profile, offers great perks and opportunities for advancement.
I had great managers thru the years and loved the challenge. Overall, a good company to work for.
Pros
Work environment
Cons
Health insurance
The most enjoyable part of my job
Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJuly 17, 2018
I enjoy my co-workers and the challenges of learn new things. I also enjoy the fact my co-workers feel confident in coming to me for help with issues.
Pros
Gym classes in the building and membership at low cost
Cons
Paying for parking
I enjoyed working at GAIG a great deal.
Administrative Assistant Claims Operations (Former Employee) –  Frisco, TXJune 26, 2018
The ECA division was a great place to be. There were a lot of changes, but I felt the managers were great at helping with new expectations. They were also understanding about family things.
Pros
Great managers
Cons
No overtime pay
Great Actuarial Culture
Actuarial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJune 19, 2018
Many opportunities to learn and grow from great Actuaries with valuable experience. The culture here is in line with a employee focused culture, as they want to ensure competitiveness through providing employees a happy and productive environment.
Great environment to work in and great people.
Claims Processor (Former Employee) –  Fargo, NDJune 1, 2018
Love working with my co-workers and staff at Great American. Location of the fargo office is great, also have spacious cubicles. Manager is easy to work with. Flexible with your schedule.
Pros
Flexible, good management.
Cons
Slower in the winter months
Fun work environment
IT Claims Business Analyst (Contractor) (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHMay 19, 2018
Great place to work, management was always willing to help. Work load would get tough at times, but you could always get through. They have a fitness room for all employees. Exercise classes offered along with spinning classes. This helps break the day up because you could exercise during your lunch break.
Pros
People, management
Cons
Work load could become heavy at times.
Not a good fit
Commercial Umbrella Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 4, 2018
I had joined company to write business in Iowa and Nebraska. I had told management that to write in these states you would have to consider food processing and farm equipment mfg. They told me they did not have a problem with classes of business. Once I joined company and present opportunities in these field, they decline to support.
Co-Workers all get along, unfortunately lead by a poor management team
Associate IT Security Analyst (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHMay 3, 2018
We have had good and bad managers, but the current group of managers in the Annuity Division for the most part of not good. Poor leadership and only focus on the bottom line of saving money. Highest turnover I have seen in years, and this is unfortunate. Great American is known for loyal employees, sad to see money becoming more important than taking care of staff.
Pros
Fun Co-Workers, Company events
Cons
Horrible Healthcare coverage and poor management
great place to work
Production Underwriting Specialist (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NY 13214April 26, 2018
loved my job there, if the program I managed was transferred out of state I wouldn't have left. I was program manager. Corporate restructure made my job change necessary.
Pros
flex hours
Cons
Not a fun place to work at
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 17, 2018
Very fast paced, not enough training, nothing is across the board everyone seems to be doing there own rules & regulations. The hardest job was trying to process the work in an 8 hour workday, hardly took lunch worked through lunches most of the time. I did enjoy some of my co-workers without the typical politics.
Pros
Company picnic
Cons
Short breaks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Great American Insurance Group. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.7InHerSight Score

3.0Personal Development

2.1Career Opportunities

3.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight