Great American Opportunities Employee Reviews

Company doing poorly and laid off most employees
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNMarch 19, 2019
Work was steady with friendly co-workers and not too stressful
Direct supervisor was wonderful but higher Supervisor did not care about staff
Customer Care was blamed for sales being down even though it was do to marketing and purchasing error.
Company seems to be going under as they downsized almost half of the customer service department and cut he pay of all remaining staff. Sales Force were made to be independent contractor and lost benefits
Pros
Good co-workers
Cons
poor management
At one time it was a great place to work
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNMarch 18, 2019
The people I worked with were great, including my supervisor. It was a fast paced job and you had to be able to multi task. At one time it felt like family.
GAO was a great place to work and had great people to work with.
Video and Social Media Specialist (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNFebruary 21, 2019
I enjoyed my 21 years with GAO. I was given many opportunities to grow in the company. It was sad how poor leadership decisions during the last few years caused the company to restructure and eliminate nearly 200 jobs. Mine was one of them.
Pros
Great people. Fun atmosphere.
Cons
Poor management choices led to the elimination of nearly 200 jobs in January.
Falling Apart
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNFebruary 6, 2019
Word needs to get out about what has happened here. Poor decisions on the part of upper managment ran this company into the ground. They have downsized and terminated roughly 75-80% of their home office and warehouse staff. They state they have a plan to stay afloat and are rebranding under the name Southwestern Fundraising (Southwestern being the parent company)...but it is highly likely that this is simply a lie (or someone’s pipe dream) to make sure those that were not terminated at the end of January 2019 have some form of job security. I adored my direct supervisors and co-workers. These are good people who cared about what they were doing. The vast majority of them are now unemployed and the sales force are without benefits and many of the product lines they have always been able to present to school groups for fundraising. Great American’s future is uncertain. I advise those still employed by this company to start looking elsewhere immediately. Good luck to all.
run
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNFebruary 2, 2019
pay is horrible. work load is worse. you will get in trouble for taking too long in the bathroom. some supervisors are nice, some are awful. pay is horrible and no benefits worth having. new ceo has no idea what he's doing and is ruining the company.
Encouraging and uplifting team mates and I enjoy serving teachers.
Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  FloridaJanuary 3, 2019
I enjoy serving teachers on a daily basis. I enjoy my team of reps in my area/region who are there to support me and encourage me to hit my daily, weekly and monthly goals.

Freedom to control my schedule as needed and family is valued.
Nice place to work
Communication Specialist (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaSeptember 26, 2018
I love working here! If you want to work from home it's a great place to work. I can take care of my children and still work. Great environment. Not great pay but hey I get to work from home and don't have to spend gas money!
Not a job, it's an adventure
Local representative (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNAugust 14, 2018
This is a full-commission job that requires you to have a vehicle, inventory of prizes, storage for those prizes and materials for fundraising with schools. I do not recommend it for those with strong opinions of children selling cookies or magazines for school fundraisers.
Pros
You set your own hours
Cons
You are at the mercy of PTO's and children selling your stuff.
Excellent self moving
Merchant Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZJune 18, 2018
It was great to work on my own. I loved the people, and the fast pace. It was hourly, but then they moved to commission only. If they had stayed hourly, I would still be with them.
Pros
Set my own schedule
Cons
Downsized
Typical warehouse work
Shipping Clerk/Order Picker (Current Employee) –  TennesseeApril 5, 2018
Typical warehouse work, extremely "clicky". If your not part of the "it" group, they cut your hours, put you in depts to fail and shorten your work day.
Pros
If you like to go home early, this job is for
Cons
no jackets with pockets or hoods allowed inside, no h2o bottles allowed at work stations
Unorganized Workplace
Fundraising Consultant (Former Employee) –  Erie, PAFebruary 2, 2018
No really set standard. Everyone did what they thought was best, very little feedback and guidance. It was almost like they wanted to keep what was working for them a secret. Great work life balance allows full freedom, but poor management leads to little advancement.
Not the best place to work
CUSTOMER SERVICE REP (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJanuary 21, 2018
I worked here for 10 years and received a 4 dollar pay increase. For the stress you deal with you should be paid more. The cpmpany has changed and was once a wonderful place to work.
Pros
Wonderful people to work with
Cons
The pay
a typical day was very laid back but produuctive
Processor (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJanuary 6, 2018
We were trained on what and how to do our job. The environment was very laid back. We were allowed to complete our jobs with no stress. No constant changes
Not for everyone
Fundraising Consultant (Former Employee) –  Nahsville, TnNovember 28, 2017
Job is not for everyone and should do multiple ride alongs to make sure it is the right fit. Great for previous teachers, coaches or someone looking for a complete and different career change.
Terrific Company in a declining industry
Fundraising Consultant (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLNovember 5, 2017
Terrific people, terrific environment. Top company in the world in an industry that is declining. More like running a business than being an employee of a company.
Gao
Sales Territory Manager (Current Employee) –  Tracy, CAMay 1, 2017
Typical day consisted of self directed client prospecting and in the field site visits. Early training and mentoring was providing but drastically varied between senior sales mentors. The most difficult part of the job was being hired on during the summer and not having any available immediate hands on training. In addition I was not given any existing accounts that were already in my territory, these were given to existing sales reps in neighboring territories. It took about 4 months to start building up some accounts before I was released. I had multiple account sales coming up that I was unable to run thus not able to receive any of the commissions.
Pros
helping students and athletes
Cons
Contradicting sales training and startegies
Rewarding
DISTRICT MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNApril 11, 2017
Great American is a rewarding place to work with many positive aspects. I have enjoyed the people I work with both customers and fellow employees. There is always a need for our services and potential customers are endless. The downside is the industry in general has become competitive to a point where it is getting harder to make a good living.
Pros
Great company atmosphere.
Cons
A commission based job where sales people are asked to do a lot of non-income producing activities.
good place to work
shipper (Current Employee) –  TennesseeFebruary 1, 2017
it is a good place to work . I live so far away . Would like to be closer to my home.I run postage on orders that picked and i pick and pack orders . Some days i work in receiving and QC
Amazing Company
Fundraising Consultant (Former Employee) –  Columbus, INJanuary 17, 2017
I love this company! I love helping kids raise money so that they can participate in activities they might not otherwise afford.
Great job for extra cash
Data Entry (Current Employee) –  Work from homeDecember 26, 2016
I love this work from home position. It is one of the highest paying, non-phone positions I've found. I only wish that it lasted more than 4 months out of the year!