Great American Opportunities

Great American Opportunities Employee Reviews

Hard to get in with the company, but the seasonal works pays well for being a remote data entry position. Hours are flexible. Workload is different each day and you aren't guaranteed to work with them again.
This was once a great place to work. But they restructured in 2019 and changed their name. Management now is worthless and if you were one of the people they kept when they let 95% of the employees go then you took a pay cut and had to do 10 times the work.
Just be alert and stay on your job. No matter what the company promise things can always go astray. Nothing promised unless in writing, Business is business
My manager didn't micro manage. Friendly support and sales team. We were able to give input on campaign and strategies. Really enjoyed connecting and relationship building while raising needed funds and reaching revenue goals.
GA was a great place to work as far as co-workers & boss. Busy, but laid back. Most of the employees had been there any where from 10 to 40 yrs. The CEO & higher up people had NO clue what the employees did. Because the CEO has no clue how to run a business over 100 people lost their jobs. We all were treated unfairly when this happened.
Care to share?
Help people considering your employer. Share your experience.
I enjoyed working for this company and my co-workers. This company was a caring company. I hate that the company had to shut down. I would love to have continued to work for them.
Not a good company to work for. I had a terrible experience selling products that were sub par, delivery of products was terrible, and management did an awful job educating the extreme challenges of this position.
Great American was a great experience for me to grow as an individual. I experienced a lot of growth working there. The management was excellent and provided great training. The only reason I left was because there were only part time hours available.
Run away from this company. They treat their employees very poorly. In January 2019, they laid off half their staff without any warning. They expect employees to work overtime when it is convenient for them and as soon as the work slows down, they lay you off.
Pros
Received a daily call list to complete by 1 PM. Learned how to mange my time. Management could be very intense. I enjoyed interacting with customers.
Pros
Worked from home
Cons
No recondition for a job well done.
Do not work here is all I have to say! I would run the other way if I were you. Go somewhere else where you are appreciated and not taken advantage of. They don't care about their employees.
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything
Work was steady with friendly co-workers and not too stressful Direct supervisor was wonderful but higher Supervisor did not care about staff Customer Care was blamed for sales being down even though it was do to marketing and purchasing error. Company seems to be going under as they downsized almost half of the customer service department and cut he pay of all remaining staff. Sales Force were made to be independent contractor and lost benefits
Pros
Good co-workers
Cons
poor management
The people I worked with were great, including my supervisor. It was a fast paced job and you had to be able to multi task. At one time it felt like family.
I enjoyed my 21 years with GAO. I was given many opportunities to grow in the company. It was sad how poor leadership decisions during the last few years caused the company to restructure and eliminate nearly 200 jobs. Mine was one of them.
Pros
Great people. Fun atmosphere.
Cons
Poor management choices led to the elimination of nearly 200 jobs in January.
Word needs to get out about what has happened here. Poor decisions on the part of upper managment ran this company into the ground. They have downsized and terminated roughly 75-80% of their home office and warehouse staff. They state they have a plan to stay afloat and are rebranding under the name Southwestern Fundraising (Southwestern being the parent company)...but it is highly likely that this is simply a lie (or someone’s pipe dream) to make sure those that were not terminated at the end of January 2019 have some form of job security. I adored my direct supervisors and co-workers. These are good people who cared about what they were doing. The vast majority of them are now unemployed and the sales force are without benefits and many of the product lines they have always been able to present to school groups for fundraising. Great American’s future is uncertain. I advise those still employed by this company to start looking elsewhere immediately. Good luck to all.
pay is horrible. work load is worse. you will get in trouble for taking too long in the bathroom. some supervisors are nice, some are awful. pay is horrible and no benefits worth having. new ceo has no idea what he's doing and is ruining the company.
I enjoy serving teachers on a daily basis. I enjoy my team of reps in my area/region who are there to support me and encourage me to hit my daily, weekly and monthly goals. Freedom to control my schedule as needed and family is valued.
GAO bought out Express Industries in November of 2015. I had been with Express since 1993. It took awhile getting used to the different policies and "mechanics" of GAO as opposed to EIC's workings. Overall, GAO is a good company and I appreciate the opportunity they have afforded me. On the other hand, there are some issues that just keep "cropping up" that make it very stressful.
Pros
Higher commissions, all meals provided at national and regional meetings.
Cons
Charges to sales persons that I didn't have with EIC: brochures and supplies, prizes, etc.
I love working here! If you want to work from home it's a great place to work. I can take care of my children and still work. Great environment. Not great pay but hey I get to work from home and don't have to spend gas money!
This is a full-commission job that requires you to have a vehicle, inventory of prizes, storage for those prizes and materials for fundraising with schools. I do not recommend it for those with strong opinions of children selling cookies or magazines for school fundraisers.
Pros
You set your own hours
Cons
You are at the mercy of PTO's and children selling your stuff.
It was great to work on my own. I loved the people, and the fast pace. It was hourly, but then they moved to commission only. If they had stayed hourly, I would still be with them.
Pros
Set my own schedule
Cons
Downsized