Great Basin College

Great Basin College Employee Reviews

United States29 reviews
Nice place to work a temporary job durning the semester for a bit of spending cash! Handling the IAV equipment was simple and self explanatory. Everyone is very nice and easy to get along with!
State funding concerns haunt the institution. Academic freedom is supported by administration. Small class sizes benefit teachers and students. Situated in small mining town with limited social resources. Beautiful outdoor setting.
I thoroughly enjoyed my time here. There were instances where working with certain people seemed impossible, but other than that, I really did enjoy working here.
I taught classes on a part time basis and it was a joy as coming to class was drastically different from my day time job as Director of the local rural mental health clinic. I learned that my students were mature adults who had a sincere desire to earn a degree but remain living in the small community. I learned that higher education is a specialty that not everyone can afford. Management was excellent as the contracts were written accurately and timely. The pay checks arrived the same way. The workplace culture was fun filled and exciting as I taught my classes in a new community college building. The hardest part of the job was knowing it would only last for 15 weeks and these individuals would be more than likely moving on. The most enjoyable part of the job was the freedom I had in teaching my classes. I often invited local clergy and business leaders to speak in my classes. The students appreciated the reinforcement that such speakers can provide for the reading of the text material.
Pros
Touching someone's life with education
Cons
Only lasted 15 weeks and then a new class would begin.
Wonderful place to work, Excellet work space with great people too! For college student who need a job on the side while attending college. They really help you exceed.
Do you enjoy working at your company?
Help people considering your employer make a good choice.
I have taught online for Great Basin College for six years, and I consider it a great opportunity and experience. I am allowed to design my own online courses within certain limits, provided they continue to prove effective. I have enjoyed a high retention rate with online students, usually maintaining 80-90 percent throughout each semester. You may contact the English department at Great Basin College to verify this and my student evaluations.
Pros
Flexible work hours and times due to the online nature of teaching.
Cons
No guarantee of more than one or two classes to teach each semester, a for continued employment.. No chance for a tenured position as a part-time teacher.
I enjoy the small town atmosphere and the beautiful campus. The mountains nearby are beautiful and enjoyable to hike in. Elko is 2 1/2 hours from Twin Falls, ID and 3 hours from Salt Lake City, UT>
Pros
Small town
Cons
Small town mentality
Is a great place to work if your going to college there. They pay 1o an hr and you get breaks if you need them. The supervisors are good people to work with.
Pros
Got 15 mintue breaks
Cons
Work time
This was a great job for current college students.
Friendly working environment as well as easily balanced schedule with a current school work load. Great learning experience as well/
I loved teaching the CNA class at this facility. There was a prepared syllabus and curriculum that I was able to use to teach my class and the format was easy to follow.
Great place for Students to learn. computer lab was top notch. I would recommend this place of study above average. The instructors were some of the very best.
Pros
Computer lab.
Cons
Vending only
not a good place. to work . always waiting on other people to do things. high turn over .don't have enough help for students always getting the around
Cons
Answered phone, helped people when they came in, made coffee, and every month at the start of the month updated the monthly board with this month in military history.
Great Basin College is an amazing place to work. The people there are fun and always make you feel included. No one ever thinks a question is a dumb one, and it feels like a more like a family than co-workers.
Pros
Worked around school schedule and staff is amazing to work with.
Cons
Not many hours available for student workers.
Management and coworkers were great to work with and were flexible with a person's work schedule. I never had a problem with anyone, nor was their any negative connection with the employees and managers.
Good job but poorly managed and under funded!! Management did not support the instructors as would be expected. The dean of transportation had a bad attitude and the program has been canceled.
A dedicated staff of teachers and administrators who will break their backs to try and help students learn.

Students aren't really there to learn, more interested in obtaining credits.

Remote learning technology is amazing. All the instructors and staff are highly skilled.
Pros
Supportive staff who embrace innovation
Cons
Long hours. Combative students who aren't really interested in learning.
It is where I went to college and obtained my CNA. I received a wonderful education. Although the load was strenuous, I managed to overcome the tasks.
Being a Student Worker has been great! Flexible schedule with grateful, happy co-workers. Was able to work around doctor appointments, classes, and extracurricular activities.
GBC High Tech Center and Academic Success Center are great places to work at, good community with supportive and helpful employers and employees. A typical day included answering the phone, resetting passwords, help tickets, giving directions, greeting people, addressing tech issues, and cleaning up the computer lab. I tutored at the Academic Success Center and loved how quiet it was.
Pros
Wonderful bosses, relaxing environment, good pay
Cons
very part time only
Great Basin College, its a great job, easy people to get along with. I was my own boss for the most part, just stay busy and keep things in order, no one had any problems.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Great Basin College. Our community is ready to answer.
4.5