Great Circle Employee Reviews

Licensed Professional Counselor (Former Employee) –  Saint James, MO 65559July 9, 2018
If your heart is in working with at-risk youth, this is the place for you. Supportive staff and management make stressful situations easier to handle. You never have to worry about staff support. The environment is friendly and the kids are amazing.
Pros
Great environment. Great staff. Great management.
Decent place to work
Therapeutic Foster Care Case Manager (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJune 30, 2018
Biggest issue is the on call week and the number of hours and stress that go into having to respond to crisis without extra compensation. Expectations often change making it stressful and an unstable work environment.
Its rewarding if you can handle it.
Behavioral Health Technician (Former Employee) –  Saint James, MOJune 29, 2018
You have to have a tough hide. The kids there can be rough and hard to handle but if you keep at it it's worth it.
The hours are long and the job can be tough but at the end of the day it can be one of the best jobs. Because of the relationships you build with the clients.
2 yrs working at springfield campus
Youth Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOJune 1, 2018
Not everyone can do this job. But i loved it. I loved the managers and my coworkers. I worked at the OFRC not in residential. The kids we worked with have been through a lot of trauma. It can be a very high stress environment if you have the wrong type of workers, but overall management has your back if you are honest and work well.
Very little appreciation of the average worker
Intensive In-Home Specialist (Current Employee) –  Saint Joseph, MOMay 22, 2018
The supervisor takes all credit for work product. The supervisor calls and emails 24/7 and expects answers immediately. The most enjoyable part of the job is the flexible schedule. You are able to set your own schedule for the most part.
Pros
Set your own schedule
Cons
No credit for accomplishments
flexible hours, love my team
InHome Specialist (IIS) (Current Employee) –  Webster Groves, MOApril 27, 2018
Work with families to provide skills and tools in order to keep their family intact. Many of the referrals come from Children's Division so that the family can be kept intact. Usually after the family has been observed in unsafe circumstances
good place to work
Therapeutic Foster Care Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOApril 19, 2018
Responsible for gaining referrals and assessing clients to coordinate services to meet client needs. Responsible for weekly contact with foster family and client, and to produce corresponding paperwork documenting communication. Complete monthly and quarterly reports to be submitted to State Social Workers in a prompt manner per State regulations. Coordinate therapy sessions with Treatment Director to ensure the needs of the client are met. Rotating on-call responsibilities for weekends.
Pros
company culture
Cons
work load
Stressful and exhausting with minimal positive elements
Youth Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOApril 10, 2018
This company is very poorly ran from top level management to the direct staff workers. The work environment itself is incredibly negative within the cottages. There is no support, value of employees or accountability among staff. If I had known that I was signing up to work for a company that functioned like a high school for adults, I never would have stepped in the doors.
Cons
No breaks, Little Pay
Mismanaged, Misrepresented
Therapist (school) (Former Employee) –  Webster Groves, MOApril 5, 2018
I worked as a therapist at Great Circle (Edgewood) in the school. The administration, from the CEO to the school director, were unprofessional, unethical, and had poor management skills. I saw constant ethical issues that were mishandled, they misrepresented the program to prospective families/school districts, and the kids rarely experienced any improvement, even over the course of years.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
Management, unethical, misrepresented
Youth Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MOApril 3, 2018
I have worked at Great Circles Springfield campus for almost 3 years across two cottages. I have gained so much experience in how to work with young woman from 6-20 years old. Sometimes it can become a stressful environment due to the clients we work with. However, I have always been able to share my concerns and stresses with my administration and supervisors and feel heard.
Pros
Great work environment and pay
Cons
Stressful at times
Fun place
Human Resources Recruiting Manager - Statewide (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMarch 8, 2018
Nothing more to say at this time, but I appreciate the opportunity for as long as it lasted. nothing more at this time. Nothing more to say at this time.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Overall, not a very proffesional place to work.
Teacher (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMarch 3, 2018
As a former teacher, I saw many teacher do very little if any real teaching. Most teacher's just blamed the lack of teaching on the student's behaviors. Management at the school did very little to create a supportive school environment. One school manager was incompetent and had no business being an administrator. A good teacher will usually leave within a short period of time due to all of the incompetent lazy teachers and therapists (who really do nothing).
Pros
Free lunch
Awful location management
OYCS and YCS (Former Employee) –  St. James, MOMarch 2, 2018
My supervisor is great but the majority of the CLS supervisor staff can care less. I really wouldn't recommend this job to anyone. The cottages are filthy and look like slum houses. One reason is because the kids tear everything up from busting out windows to putting wholes in the wall as well as breaking toilets. The other reason why is because its so short staffed to where the kids just get away with everything and never do their chores. Most of the kids are ready for juvenile but yet they are placed here with runaway and other kids who just doesn't have family and is placed in states custody. If parents went inside the cottages they would never allow a child they truly love to be placed at the st james campus.
Pros
Somewhat decent pay
Cons
High stress back stabbing managers and staff, slum house cottages, no real medical treatmemt unless the kid is bleeding out especially at night
Great Circle needs to re-evaluate why they can’t retain good employees
Foster Care Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MOFebruary 21, 2018
There is a trend in this company of employees leaving their positions within a year. Upper management needs to take a step back and seriously re-assess what it is they can do to change this. It’s a big downer for morale to see quality co-workers get tired of struggling and quit.
New employees are put in situations they simply aren’t trained well enough for. Legal situations, proper documentation completion and placement decisions are really serious issues that new employees are expected to casually handle. Then these new employees have to answer to these things in a court room, unsupported by anyone. Immediate supervisors are stretched too thin. They can’t be expected to be at every meeting, court date and phone call for all of the employees they oversee, but upper management doesn’t offer solutions. Attorneys and juvenile officers that work with Great Circle see this agency as a joke.
Pros
Set your own schedule, every day is different, constantly learning
Cons
Watching amazing colleagues quit, not enough genuine support form directors
Productive and enjoyed working with the clients.
School Therapist (Current Employee) –  Florissant, MOFebruary 12, 2018
The experience working with clients is rewarding. The management could use proper training when it comes to interacting and training staff appropriately.
Pros
Experience
Cons
Salary, training
People don't leave bad jobs, they leave bad bosses.
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  St. James, MOFebruary 10, 2018
Great Circle St. James used to be a great place to work. I even loved my job up until the time I left my position. The staff are by and large awesome, very caring people who love children and care deeply about their well-being. That being said, after management changes last year, the entire campus has gone straight down the tubes. Staff are frequently quitting due to no support and hostile management style, leaving others to fill in double shifts. The salaried workers are doing the job of two people just like in other fake non-profits (meaning all non-profits are for-profit enterprises under the guise of being a tax exempt agency that rakes in taxpayer dollars through the Medicaid and foster care systems). They even take 4+ kids to get more money without properly trained staff to support and help these kids because they get more money for it. When employees - including case managers, therapists and the most important employees - the direct care workers - leave in droves, you know you either have poor administration or a failed business model (skeleton crew in all departments), and unfortunately Great Circle St. James has both. Salaried employees are stretched to the max and then are told they are not working hard enough, producing enough, or meeting their productivity. I have always heard bad things about St. James and St. Louis campuses, and great things about Springfield, Marshall and Independence campuses. Columbia is a mixed bag of good and bad. All this being said, it takes a long time to get hired on and several weeks of training, so if you are in a hurry for money, don't  more... apply there unless you already have income coming in. I cannot say I recommend Great Circle St. James at this time. Hopefully in time the management will improve and it will be a great place to work again.  less
Pros
Great staff to work with
Cons
Poor management, too much overtime expected
Definitely worthwhile and fulfilling job
INTENSIVE IN-HOME SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Kirksville, MOJanuary 27, 2018
Hands-on work in dealing with families in crises, working with families of children at-risk of being removed from their homes. Provided referrals and hands-on modeling and training to assist families in becoming more stable and self-sufficient.
Pros
co-workers, benefits, pay, passion for the job, collaboration
Cons
distance to travel (covered 8 counties), long work days
Poor management
Overnight Youth Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOJanuary 15, 2018
Poor management. Lack of organization. Few decent co-workers. Inconsiderate to overnight staff. Can be very high stress. Need to be flexible. Not a job to do while in school.
Cons
No breaks
Dysfunctional place to work
Program supervisor (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOJanuary 5, 2018
Very difficult to navigate corporate policies when not every department on every campus are consistent. training is important to Great Circle-training opportunities are plentiful. Demands on supervisors are overwhelming making it difficult to do regular job and supervisor job. . There seems to be disconnect between corporate office, higher management and staff in the trenches. Accounting staff and department are wonderful. I learned a great deal from my experience at GC. I grew professionally and personally. I will take lessons and skills I learned with me.
benefits
Cons
management
Loved my internship
Level II Fieldwork (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 3, 2018
I did my OT internship here. I loved it. I created a bond with the kids on my caseload and loved going to work everyday. It was a really big bummer once my internship was over. I did both my level 1 and 2 fieldwork here because I enjoyed it so much.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
stressful

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Great Circle. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.6InHerSight Score

2.2Personal Development

3.3Career Opportunities

2.7Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight