Great Circle Employee Reviews for Case Manager

Ratings breakdown
Great Circle
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOAugust 3, 2018
I had thoroughly enjoyed my time at Great Circle. I have been here since relocating from Memphis 3 years ago. I have no major complaints. I started as a youth care specialist, transitioned to a supervisor and now a case manager. Advancement opportunities are great.
Pros
Advancement
Cons
Budget cuts
Decent place to work
Therapeutic Foster Care Case Manager (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJune 30, 2018
Biggest issue is the on call week and the number of hours and stress that go into having to respond to crisis without extra compensation. Expectations often change making it stressful and an unstable work environment.
good place to work
Therapeutic Foster Care Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOApril 19, 2018
Responsible for gaining referrals and assessing clients to coordinate services to meet client needs. Responsible for weekly contact with foster family and client, and to produce corresponding paperwork documenting communication. Complete monthly and quarterly reports to be submitted to State Social Workers in a prompt manner per State regulations. Coordinate therapy sessions with Treatment Director to ensure the needs of the client are met. Rotating on-call responsibilities for weekends.
Pros
company culture
Cons
work load
Great Circle needs to re-evaluate why they can’t retain good employees
Foster Care Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MOFebruary 21, 2018
There is a trend in this company of employees leaving their positions within a year. Upper management needs to take a step back and seriously re-assess what it is they can do to change this. It’s a big downer for morale to see quality co-workers get tired of struggling and quit.
New employees are put in situations they simply aren’t trained well enough for. Legal situations, proper documentation completion and placement decisions are really serious issues that new employees are expected to casually handle. Then these new employees have to answer to these things in a court room, unsupported by anyone. Immediate supervisors are stretched too thin. They can’t be expected to be at every meeting, court date and phone call for all of the employees they oversee, but upper management doesn’t offer solutions. Attorneys and juvenile officers that work with Great Circle see this agency as a joke.
Pros
Set your own schedule, every day is different, constantly learning
Cons
Watching amazing colleagues quit, not enough genuine support form directors
People don't leave bad jobs, they leave bad bosses.
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  St. James, MOFebruary 10, 2018
Great Circle St. James used to be a great place to work. I even loved my job up until the time I left my position. The staff are by and large awesome, very caring people who love children and care deeply about their well-being. That being said, after management changes last year, the entire campus has gone straight down the tubes. Staff are frequently quitting due to no support and hostile management style, leaving others to fill in double shifts. The salaried workers are doing the job of two people just like in other fake non-profits (meaning all non-profits are for-profit enterprises under the guise of being a tax exempt agency that rakes in taxpayer dollars through the Medicaid and foster care systems). They even take 4+ kids to get more money without properly trained staff to support and help these kids because they get more money for it. When employees - including case managers, therapists and the most important employees - the direct care workers - leave in droves, you know you either have poor administration or a failed business model (skeleton crew in all departments), and unfortunately Great Circle St. James has both. Salaried employees are stretched to the max and then are told they are not working hard enough, producing enough, or meeting their productivity. I have always heard bad things about St. James and St. Louis campuses, and great things about Springfield, Marshall and Independence campuses. Columbia is a mixed bag of good and bad. All this being said, it takes a long time to get hired on and several weeks of training, so if you are in a hurry for money, don't  more... apply there unless you already have income coming in. I cannot say I recommend Great Circle St. James at this time. Hopefully in time the management will improve and it will be a great place to work again.  less
Pros
Great staff to work with
Cons
Poor management, too much overtime expected
Great Circle is a good place to work.
Foster Care Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Independence MODecember 15, 2017
It is a fast paced, intense field. Great Circle administrators are very supportive.

I learned what it takes to do Foster Care Case Management the way it is supposed to be done.

I learned trauma informed social work.

My team and supervisor where my favorite part of this job.
Pros
Understanding and supportive staff
Cons
Intense Work
Good Place to Work for the most part
Case Manager over two cottages (Current Employee) –  Saint James, MONovember 14, 2017
Very busy on a daily basis. Need good social and organizational skills. Communication is sometimes lacking due to the organization being so big. Outside agency involvement constitutes working with the court system, children's division, juvenile officers, GAL's, and CASA. Also, BJC healthcare and DMH. Supervisor will support you when it comes to trying to balance home/family vs job, etc.
Pros
meals at the dining hall if you want them, flex time if needed and worked out with supervisor
Cons
Salaried and have to work over for deadlines, etc.
Home away from home
Foster Care Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Jefferson City, MOOctober 13, 2017
This is a great company where you can definitely advance in. Coworkers become family and you dont want to leave. Schedule is flexible and it is definitely a family oriented atmosphere and family comes first.
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Cons
Being on call
Central Director is GREAT
Foster Care Case Management Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MOFebruary 20, 2017
The Director of Great Circle in Columbia MO is GREAT. She is genuinely concerned about the staff. She does what she says. She is great to work for. The Associate Director has challenges. Her empathy is lacking but she is working on it.
Pros
Great Staff
Cons
Challenging Clients
Fun supervisor and teamates
Foster Care Case Manager (FCCM) (Current Employee) –  Independence, MO 64057February 14, 2017
Absolutely recommend this company for employment. Great working place and multiple supports.I could always speak with anyone in my unit with any problems and my supervisor was always avauilable.
Pros
Team effort and lots of support
Cons
Some long days and no overtime compensation.
Good experience for a first job
Foster Care Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MONovember 21, 2016
Now that I'm a former employee, I have a more mature view of my last job. Great Circle IS working hard to make change in foster care. They've worked to engage families and connect parents with services.

I think GC lacks in mental health. By that I mean they don't work with other agencies who work in behavioral health. That would help parents combat mental illness and provide them with a more fair chance of reunification.

I wish GC would have a better work-life balance. We got laptops and cell phones and I think my supervisor would forget my home life after a long day. I don't fault my supervisor! I think it's natural to care after hours - at least, I hope it is!

There are a lot of legal obstacles to overcome in this field. If you work here, you'll have to understand it's a very long process to get a child to permenancy. It's rewarding, though. Be open minded. You don't do this for the money. You do this because you work with real people, just like you and me.
Pros
Fun staff meetings + understanding and supportive supervisors
Cons
Ability to help others in the community
Foster Care Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Saint James, MOSeptember 11, 2016
There is not typical day, but you do have a typical montly routine of making home visit, phone calls, emails, etc.
poor management
amazing coworkers
the hardest part of the job is working long hours and not having a set time each day that you will get out, lots of rushing around
helping others, helping and watching families reunite
Pros
Flexibility in scheduling
Cons
sometimes work late and long hours, lots of driving
There is no typical day.
Empowering Youth Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MOJuly 6, 2016
There is one thing that is consistent with this job, it's change. Great management and supervision. In a typical week, I spend time doing street outreach to find homeless kids to provide services to. I also spend time doing direct care with the children. Paperwork is also consistent throughout the week.
Pros
Flexible schedule, gain PLPC hours, free PLPC supervision, free food, large training budget, and community involvement is encouraged.
Cons
Some specific coworkers can be tough to work with, hard to manage boundaries with staff and kids in my specific position, and I wish I got paid more with my education and experience.
Fast paced high stress enviroment.
Foster Care Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MOMarch 2, 2015
Two days will never look the same. One day you will be working on paperwork, filing, court reports and another you will be driving from home to home doing monthly visits. There is a lot of time spent out of the office. The management and staff are friendly and it makes the job fun, but you do not get to interact with them enough as you will be out working in the field and trying to meet deadlines.
Pros
flexible schedule at times, staff and management are great.
Cons
On call, unpredictable hours, high stress enrviroment