Great Clips Employee Reviews

Found 2,294 reviews matching the search See all 2,379 reviews
People with longevity are not held accountable and display a "bettere than thou attitue"
Corporate Trainer (Former Employee) –  IllinoisJanuary 3, 2019
Not a good experience. My direct report displayed an ongoing attitude that she had longevity therefore she could treat others however she wanted, and the way she treated me was awful. Including that she asked questions for what she said was "honest feedback", therefore I very gently shared my thoughts and ideas, only to have them held against me an ultimately let go due to it.
I felt the company itself could be great if they only could look at themselves and the people who work for them from the eye of professionalism instead of stature.
January 4, 2019

We are sorry that this was your experience. Because each salon is independently owned and operated, the franchisee would be the best person to address your feedback. If you would like, you can email Jeanne@greatclips.com with the salon location where you are employed & details. We will provide it to the franchisee for you. Thank you.

Growth
Manager (Former Employee) –  Lake Zurich, ILJanuary 12, 2019
If you want to learn everything there is to know about haircuts this is your type of job. I learned so much and was provided training monthly. There was always free classes to attend but it did have to be on your day off. They also guide you to help you advance up the ladder as quickly or slowly as you want. They give you all in house training. Major concern was Gm and support given to managers. They would leave you to hang and dry and not worry to much about managers if they needed help.
Pros
Overtime, training
Cons
Bad scheduling
January 13, 2019

We appreciate that you were are part of a great community of stylists and managers.

Productive and great place to advance in skills.
Hair Stylist (Current Employee) –  El Paso, TXJanuary 16, 2019
A typical day at work starts off slow and that gives us time to clean and organize the salon and back area. It usually picks up around noon and it is somewhat steady depending on the day. The hardest part of the job would to be trying to give the upmost satisfaction to each customer. I say this because each customer is different and not every haircut would fit each person and their lifestyles.
Pros
Advanced teaching abilities, helpful staff
Cons
Short breaks, no 401K, healthcare
January 17, 2019

Thank you for sharing your experience working in the salon each day!

Love my job!
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHDecember 12, 2018
I’ve been with Great Clips for over 20 years. I started as a part time stylist with no intention of staying long but here I am, 20+ years later loving every minute! I went full time as soon as I saw the potential to make a good living. I have advanced from stylist to assistant manager, manager and now general manager. The franchise group I work for is amazing and we really do what we can to create a family culture. We love coaching and guiding all our stylists to be the best they can be.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
December 13, 2018

We appreciate everything that you and your teams do in the salons each day to deliver the Great Clips brand! Thank you very much.

What is the place I have a work specially with the new management
Hairstylist (Former Employee) –  Seven Street and Bell The next ArizonaDecember 11, 2018
What is the place I have a work specially with the new management Great Clips and seventh Street and Bell I worn every stylist not to work at Great Clips they promise you the world and I promise you the hours and they don’t keep the problem is I have worked there as a full timer I only got 25 hours a week because they keep hiring new stylus it was like a drama especially with the new manager and they do drugs
December 12, 2018

We are sorry that this was your experience. Because each salon is independently owned and operated, the best person to address your feedback would be the franchisee. If you would like to share more, please email Jeanne@greatclips.com. We will forward it to the franchisee for follow up with you regarding your comments. Thank you.

Fun Place to Work for College Students
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Logan, UTDecember 1, 2018
As a receptionist, I got paid well for a relatively relaxed job. As a full time career, being a receptionist here isn't a great option, just because there isn't a lot of advancement. But for extra money during college, or for a part time job, it was a great option! The management is flexible and works really well with you. The salon is a fun fast paced atmosphere and always keeps you on your toes. It doesn't get old and the people that work there are great. As a part time job, this is a great place to work.
December 2, 2018

Thank you for sharing your experience working in the salon. We appreciate your feedback.

Loved working for Great Clips
Stylist (Current Employee) –  Topeka, KSNovember 29, 2018
Sure, it had it's ups and downs. Not many people can say this, but our franchisee IS AMAZING. He actually cares and knows ALL of his employees by name! And he has almost ten stores! However, the management team could use some work. As well as communication and the team as a whole, but that's to be expected.
Pros
help repay student loans, 401k, Paid Training, pay for supplies $50 from each paycheck until its paid off
Cons
Short lunch breaks and no real breaks after that, really hard for beginners with its fast pace
November 30, 2018

We appreciate everything that you and your team do in the salon each day! Thank you.

Assembly line haircutting.
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, CODecember 15, 2018
Great place to work right out of school if only for the training and quick money. I can honestly say that I worked for them for ten years and never built a clientele and never got rich. The bulk of my personal cutting technique did come from what I learned while employed there though, mostly what not to do, and they are severely numbers driven.
Pros
Great for beginning stylists.
Cons
Terrible for building skills or clientele.
December 18, 2018

We appreciate that you were a member of a great community of stylists and managers.

December 16, 2018

We appreciate that you were a member of a great team. If you would like to share more, please email Jeanne@greatclips.com with the salon location where you were employed & details. We will provide it to the franchisee for you. Thank you.

Productive and Fun place to work , Family environment
Hair Stylist (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 28, 2018
I loved my manager there.
Didn't have much benefits there.
It was typically busy on the weekends . That was give us AMAZING business when it would get very busy.
The hardest part of the job was juggling a break with a busy day.
I would definitely recommend this place to anyone ,especially if you want to feel comfortable while working with your peers.
Pros
Family and loving environment
Cons
short breaks
November 29, 2018

Thank you for having been a part of a GREAT community of stylists and managers!

It's good to build your motor skills and develope new techniques
Stylist (Current Employee) –  Mercer Island, WANovember 10, 2018
You don't have to worry about building your own clientele. The company, itself helps to promote customers to come to the salon for you. All you have to do is cut and start to develop a good relationship with each customer that sit in your chair. Most of the stylists are team players, they will help when you're stuck. The hardest part when customers complain when they don't have promotional coupons.
Pros
It's very flexible with work schedule
Cons
healthcare is not super great.
November 12, 2018

Thank you for being a valued member of a great team of stylists and managers!

fast pace work, busy weekends and holidays
STYLIST (Former Employee) –  Thornton, CONovember 7, 2018
You have to be really fast at haircuts like 10 min each maybe even less and if you are not they pressure you to go faster and treat you like you don't know how to cut hair. They had meetings early Sunday mornings if you were lucky to get that Sunday off which was rare you still had to come. The good thing in all that is they provide training and classes on there system of cutting which is good for people starting out of beauty school who might be nervous because there is sufficient training
Pros
Training and classes
Cons
hourly pay, fast pace work, work every weekend, no flexability with schedules
November 8, 2018

Since each salon is independently owned and operated, the franchisee would be the best person to address your feedback. If you would like, you can email Jeanne@greatclips.com with the salon location where you were employed & details. We will forward it to the franchisee for you. Thank you.

Not for me
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Lake Forest, CAOctober 31, 2018
When working at Great Clips I was always pressured to be faster. Numbers were what they are concerned about. The owners didn't know much about the business. They were cheap and didn't want to spend much on the shop. They did not appreciate the employees. Christmas gifts were a joke. They only sent me to 1 day of training when the training was 3 days. They did not pay well.
Pros
Many clients. Fast paced at times
Cons
Low pay, rude clients, cheap clients, owners are too thrifty. A lot of pressure to work fast
November 1, 2018

We are sorry that this was your experience. If you would like follow up, please email Jeanne@greatclips.com with the salon location where you were employed and details. We will provide it to the franchisee for you. Thank you.

Good for new stylist out of school
Hairstylist/assistant manager (Former Employee) –  Newington, CTNovember 15, 2018
Loved the job until a new owner took over and he took all our vacation pay, holiday pay, no benefits and treated us like slaves. The owner prior was fantastic and if he still owned it I'd work there forever. Unfortunately the franchisee's are different and you can wind up with a bad one. Overall great clips is a nice place to work
Pros
Good place to start if you're new
Cons
Owner was a jerk
November 17, 2018

We are sorry that this was your experience. If you would like to share more, you can email Jeanne@greatclips.com with the salon location where you were employed and details. We will forward it to the franchisee for you. Thank you.

learned a lot good and bad
Cosmetology Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJanuary 11, 2019
The people and management that I worked with was far from professional or mature. But some good things came of it. I learned a lot. I enjoyed giving people a awesome hair do and sending them home pleased with my service and experience. Great clips has a great blue print for learning but the staff I encountered did not fit the mold of professionalism and teamwork
January 12, 2019

We are sorry that this was your experience. Thank you for having been a part of a great team.

no dignity
hair stylist (Current Employee) –  Carmel, INDecember 1, 2018
If you can sell retail you can get away with murder. If you show up on time, never call in, never have complaints about your haircuts,dress appropriately, clean relentlessly, take on duties without being asked or are out of your job description, work weekends and holidays and show up to cover those who call in, have 20 years experience, and customers who love you but your retail is lacking you will be punished, have hours taken away unless they are understaffed which is often and then you will be worked to absolute death,and over all not appreciated. Great clips ins't a hair salon, its a glorified beauty supply sweatshop.they treat their employees like retail or fast food workers that can be found on any street corner. they forget you have actual skills.
Pros
benefits, tips
Cons
no holiday time, no family time, retail pressure.
December 2, 2018

We are sorry that this has been your experience. Because each salon is independently owned and operated, the best person to address your concerns is your franchisee. If you would like, you can email Jeanne@greatclips.com with the salon location where you are employed and details. We will forward it to your franchisee for follow up with you. If you prefer to be anonymous, please let us know. Thank you.

Stressful with all the drama. Lots of customers. Fast money
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 23, 2018
The management is a joke , i was an assistant manager, and great clips perspective of things is pretty much quantity over quality. Most managers just like telling people what to do and dont actually care about problems the customers may have..i was getting paid 10.50 and i was there for 3 years . What a joke
Pros
You can sit down and do nothing if no one is waiting
Cons
Short breaks. Drama. Cheap customers
October 24, 2018

We are sorry to see your frustrations while working in the salon. Because each location is independently owned and operated, the franchisee would be the best person to address your feedback. If you would like, you can email Jeanne@greatclips.com with the salon location where you were employed & details. We will forward it to the franchisee for you. Thank you.

Earn more money based on work ethic
Cosmetologist (Current Employee) –  Uniontown, PAOctober 21, 2018
I worked hard and the harder I worked the better the reward. You have to want it, and be a beast to maintain it there. The money is good because you earn it for yourself. Coupons and sales make it even busier. Management changed late 2017 and the environment is much better since the prior years I've worked there. Employees are now being recognized and appreciated more.
Pros
Available overtime whenever I wanted
Cons
Limited downtime/breaks
October 22, 2018

Thank you for everything that you and your team do in the salon each day to deliver the Great Clips brand!

Poorly managed company
Hair Stylist (Former Employee) –  Pekin, IL 61554December 11, 2018
the only way you can get full time status with this company is to be on call and available any hours they are open. Unable to call in to work because nobody would cover a shift for you, even if you are really sick. working at this company is a rat race and for a rate that is barely above minimum wage.
Pros
nothing
Cons
had to drive an hour, only to get sent home because they arent busy
December 12, 2018

Since each salon is independently owned and operated, the best person to address your concerns would be the franchisee. If you would like, you can email Jeanne@greatclips.com with the salon location where you were employed and details. We will provide it to the franchisee for follow up with you. Thank you.

Nice place to work, Williamsville Ny owner takes care of her stylist!
Hairstylist (Former Employee) –  Williamsville, NYNovember 3, 2018
Owner of Williamsville Ny Salon great to work for. They worked with your schedule as much as they can. Stylist all got along and management did great job. Made good of benefits. All around was one of the best Salons and Owner I ever worked for, I’ve been in this business long time! Tips were also good!
Pros
Owner great people, good tips, benefits, Nice Salon
November 5, 2018

We appreciate that you were a part of a great community of stylists and managers!

poor company
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Ocean, NJOctober 12, 2018
when you allow companies to independently franchise, it's tragic. NO BENEFITS, ( was told they cost too much. so how are we expected to have benefit on $9.25 an hour?), LOW PAY, NO Human resource department, POOR MANAGEMENT who cuts your hours and gives it to herself, you are just a replaceable sweat shop worker working up to 12 hours shifts. you are not appreciated. If your talent don't work here! there is no growth and you are NOT VALUED.
Pros
Cons
no human resources, manager gives herself all the hours, you work many positions like janitor, reception all for one pay, stopping constantly to check clients in, not valued, no benefits, low pay, no breaks. high employee turn around, only cares about the customer money.
October 15, 2018

Because each salon is independently owned and operated, the franchisee would be the best person to address your concerns. Franchisees may use a number of different factors to determine stylist's total compensation & benefits. If you would like, you can email Jeanne@greatclips.com with the salon location where you were employed details. We will forward it to the franchisee for you. Thank you.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Great Clips. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

2.0Fairygodboss Score

67%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

33%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss