Great Clips Employee Reviews

Found 1,839 reviews matching the search See all 1,907 reviews
normal job
Hair Stylist (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCJune 20, 2018
compensation is low however tips are good if you are busy. The thing is you never know when you are busy and when you are not. overall it was a great job for a beginner cosmetologist.
Fast aced environment
Seasonal Part-Time Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Beloit, WIJune 20, 2018
acted as receptionist
handled money in the form of cash and credit/debit cards
Fast-paced environment, must be prepared to take on a lot of customers
Cleaned and stocked product shelves
Income varies based on each store and how busy it is
Salon Manager (Current Employee) –  Marietta, GAJune 19, 2018
I have worked for Great Clips for almost 8 years, worked in 25 different shops, and helped manager 9 of them. The employee experience varies greatly based on who your franchisee is and your manager/ GM and how they operate.
Pros
Ability to make cash daily
Cons
Having to work every weekend
Fun place to work
STYLIST (Former Employee) –  Amelia, OHJune 19, 2018
I enjoyed working for Great Clips, but needed something with flexible hours for a single mother. I am available to work Monday thru Friday 9:00am to 5:00pm
Nice clients
Cosmetologist, Hairstylist, Receptionist, Closer (Former Employee) –  Saint George, UTJune 19, 2018
Nice clients most of the time. They could pay more per hour getting the tips is nice and a set schedule would be really nice. Manager was a little bit frazzled most of the time.
Pros
tips
Conditions of the workplace
Stylist (Current Employee) –  Toledo, OHJune 16, 2018
Management could be more structured. Stylists could be appreciated more for the amount of time and effort they put into Maintaining happy clients and keeping wait times down as well as working over their breaks when busy. 7+ hrs taking haircuts nonstop is brutal for any person and half the girls do it without complaining while being underpaid.
June 18, 2018

Because each salon is independently owned and operated, the best person to address your concerns would be your franchisee. If you would like, you can email Jeanne@greatclips.com with the salon location where you are employed & details. We will provide it to your franchisee for follow up with you. If you prefer to be anonymous, please let us know. Thank you for everything you do in the salon each day!

June 19, 2018

Since each salon is independently owned and operated, the best person to address your comments would be your franchisee. If you would like follow up, please email Jeanne@greatclips.com with the salon location where you are employed and details. We will forward it to your franchisee for you. If you prefer to be anonymous, please let us know. Thank you.

Good place to start at friendly people
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Lima, OHJune 15, 2018
Greeting and signing customers in also sweeping the stylist stations when they finish a hair cuts. Learning better communication skills also learning how to work together
Pros
Meet new people and learn better social skills
Cons
Difficulties with customers or the systems
June 17, 2018

Thank you for sharing your feedback and comments. We appreciate that you were part of a great team!

fast paced
Hair Stylist (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJune 14, 2018
this is a fast paced environment that does not offer full time positions. I loved the clientail and the job itself but the hours and lack of benefits did not balance it out.
Pros
daily tips
Cons
part time only
June 16, 2018

Each salon is independently owned and operated by a franchisee who hires their team. If you would like to share more, please email Jeanne@greatclips.com with the salon location where you were employed and details. We will forward it to the franchisee for you. Thank you.

Great
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Pleasant Grove, UTJune 14, 2018
I loved working here. It was flexible and worked with my crazy school schedules for the most part. The people were very nice and easy to talk to. It is a slow paced and I learned a lot about haircutting.
Pros
Flexible schedules, good coworkers
Cons
Short staffed so busy
June 16, 2018

Thank you for sharing your experience working in the salon. We appreciate your feedback and comments.

Very productive and busy workplace, positive environment.
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Wake Forest, NCJune 11, 2018
Great Clips was a wonderful job to have, evryone was very nice the work wasn't hard or complicated to catch on to. Working at great clips i learned alot such as interacting with different types of people,and how to sell products. The most enjoyable part of working a great clips was learning new ways to cut and style hair, what are gokd products to use for different types of hair and just being able to meet new people everyday
June 13, 2018

We appreciate that you were a member of a GREAT team of stylists and managers!

I enjoy this CAREER.
Salon Manager (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJune 9, 2018
Honestly, all these reviews on this site are a mix of different areas and different franchisees.
Every place is different. You need to find your home, if one franchisee, or manager doesn’t work try a different one. This company is great. Ive worked for 3 franchisees. None of them were perfect, work was still work but I’ve been doing this at Great Clips for 10 years and i still go in and smile.. I managed for 6.5 of those years. I pay my bills, i was able to buy a house. It can be stressful but what job isn’t? I enjoy this company, if you’re open about your intentions I’ve only met people who bend over backwards to help you achieve your goals.
Pros
Christmas gifts, vacation, holiday pay, benefits, great pay
Cons
Breaks can be short- but not enforced to be in my experience. Short staffed.
June 11, 2018

We appreciate everything you do each day to deliver the Great Clips brand in the salon! Thank you.

Great work place
Hairstylist (Current Employee) –  McKinney, TXJune 8, 2018
I like working in this environment, it is a very fast past job and the clients are great. I would recommend my friends to work here as well. The managers and employees are a great team to work with.
June 10, 2018

Thank you and your team for everything you do in the salon each day!

Good work enviorment
Hairstylist/Cosmetologist (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJune 7, 2018
Always a good day at Great Clips, great training classes lot of culture to experience low prices, lots of coupons typical place for a quick haircut...
June 10, 2018

We appreciate your comments and feedback. Thank you for having been a member of a great community of stylists and managers!

Love the brand and salons
Salon Manager (Former Employee) –  North Logan, UTJune 6, 2018
I have worked for quite a few franchises, and your owner definitely changes a lot about the salon. I love the Great Clips brand! I do think it is hard to have a work/life balance if you're working full time.
June 8, 2018

We are very happy to have had you as a member of a GREAT team! Thank you.

Comfortable, Stable position
Hairstylist (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJune 5, 2018
There is an ebb and flow of Clients varying per day. It's important to get placed in a busy enough salon.
The hardest part of my job is that the schedule is very erratic and changes often.
The work culture is the best part of my job. It's great if you keep a positive attitude, I've really felt accepted by my peers through the years. I've made some great friendships and it's a very accepting environment. The Franchisees and our customers are very nice people too.
You will easily and quickly become very skilled at hair cutting due to the large volume of regular customers, it's a family setting so you learn many styles and trends.The company offers free training when you are initially hired.
The worst part is no more benefits in the past several years, no retirement plan and low pay that hasn't keep up with inflation over time. Overall it's a steady enough job to live with.
Pros
Coworker friends, comfortable atmosphere, Nice Salon owners, nice Clients
Cons
no more (they've been dropped in the past years) Healthcare benefits, no retirement plans, low pay, erratic scheduling
June 7, 2018

Because each salon is independently owned and operated, franchisees may use a number of different factors to determine stylist's total compensation & benefits. If you would like to share more, please email Jeanne@greatclips.com with the salon location where you are employed and details. We will provide it to your franchisee for follow up with you. Thank you.

busy salon
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Marshalltown, IAJune 5, 2018
Great clips was a very busy salon that didn't pay bad I think I was making 11 per hour, but the constant haircut sales and all the coupons were horrible. 6$ haircuts means crazy amount of people horrible tips and believe me we depend on our tips 1$ per haircut is horrible. However they do offer more education on how to give a great haircut.
Pros
it's busy
Cons
open too many hours
June 7, 2018

Great Clips is a retail business offering great haircuts at the most convenient times for customers. Thank you for having been a member of a great team!

great customers, great team
Stylist (Former Employee) –  South Milwaukee, WIJune 5, 2018
I really loved working at this location. The customers are great as are all my co workers. I really enjoyed the salon environment and teamwork. They felt like my family.
Pros
good wages, great culture, good balance
June 7, 2018

Thank you for sharing your experience working in the salon! We appreciate your feedback and comments.

Fast Pace
Hairstylist/Cosmetologist (Former Employee) –  Manor, TXJune 5, 2018
Need more team members in the work place
Great place for quick service.
meeting different people everyday..
helping others meet there goals understanding other
and being part of them
Pros
quick service
Cons
health ins
June 7, 2018

We appreciate that you were a part of a great community of stylists and managers!

A rewarding place to work
Hair Stylist (Former Employee) –  Fort Smith, ARJune 4, 2018
The company is great but they do need to offer more services. The pay is fair and all other areas are great. Management is rewarding. The Arkansas area could use more Great Clips.
June 6, 2018

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate that you were a part of a GREAT team!

Great Clips is a decent company to work for.
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJune 4, 2018
There’s a lot that could be done to improve the employer experience at Great clips. Great Clips cares more about their customers than their staff. They expect you to basically be a robot but efficient. There’s no room for growth in the company and a lot of the stylist get stuck just cutting hair. It’s extremely hard to have a life outside of Great Clips due to the demanding schedule. The money made at GC is fair. The tips are what carry you through and why a lot of the stylist stay. Great Clips is overall a decent company to work for but could cater to the staff a little more.
Pros
Tips
Cons
No breaks, no flexibility in scheduling.
June 6, 2018

Franchisees and managers work hard to staff the salons for the busy times while still taking into account a work/life balance. Because each salon is independently owned and operated, the franchisee would be the best person to address your comments. If you would like, you can email Jeanne@greatclips.com with the salon location where you were employed and details. We will forward it to the franchisee for you. Thank you.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Great Clips. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.8InHerSight Score

2.6Personal Development

3.8Career Opportunities

2.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight