Great Clips Employee Reviews

Found 2,175 reviews matching the search See all 2,257 reviews
Fast paced and wonderful coworkers
COSMETOLOGIST (Current Employee) –  Radcliff, KYOctober 15, 2018
When i was hired there was very poor management. almost everything has been turned around now under new wonderful management. As a single mom they are very understanding very helpful, loving coworkers.
October 16, 2018

Thank you for sharing your experience working in the salon. We appreciate your comments!

the harder you work the more you make
Salon Assistant Manager/Manager in Training (Former Employee) –  Channahon, ILOctober 15, 2018
Franchisees are all different. Find one that is honest and truly cares about his employees. Some say they do but do not. It is hard to make the money you want to make. Must work very hard to earn the productivity. Good place to start your career. Not so great for advancement unless you go to a corporate level.
Pros
tips
Cons
rude customers, no breaks if too busy, low hourly pay
October 16, 2018

We appreciate that you were a member of a great team. Thank you.

great first time job
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Buckeye, AZOctober 12, 2018
Great first time job. There is not any advancement in the job unless you are wanting to go to beauty school. Management made the place a lot better. Receptionists occasionally get tips.
October 15, 2018

Thank you for having been a member of a great team! We appreciate your comments.

poor company
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Ocean, NJOctober 12, 2018
when you allow companies to independently franchise, it's tragic. NO BENEFITS, ( was told they cost too much. so how are we expected to have benefit on $9.25 an hour?), LOW PAY, NO Human resource department, POOR MANAGEMENT who cuts your hours and gives it to herself, you are just a replaceable sweat shop worker working up to 12 hours shifts. you are not appreciated. If your talent don't work here! there is no growth and you are NOT VALUED.
Pros
Cons
no human resources, manager gives herself all the hours, you work many positions like janitor, reception all for one pay, stopping constantly to check clients in, not valued, no benefits, low pay, no breaks. high employee turn around, only cares about the customer money.
October 15, 2018

Because each salon is independently owned and operated, the franchisee would be the best person to address your concerns. Franchisees may use a number of different factors to determine stylist's total compensation & benefits. If you would like, you can email Jeanne@greatclips.com with the salon location where you were employed details. We will forward it to the franchisee for you. Thank you.

Was a nice place to work. Co workers were nice.
Hair Stylist (Former Employee) –  Onalaska, WIOctober 12, 2018
Was happy to get some more experience in cutting hair. The co workers were nice and helpful. Some customers are never happy. Learned more skills in mens blending of hair cuts.
Pros
Help as a team
Cons
Customers seemed not happy most of the time
October 13, 2018

We appreciate that you were a member of a great community of stylists and managers!

Horrible place to work! Would put 0 stars if I could!
Stylist (Former Employee) –  FloridaOctober 12, 2018
Starting with pay depends on franchisee. Some locations your either paid hourly and tips only, some your pay hourly, mandatory sales requirement which leads to possible commission sales depends if your percentage is high at the end of that week pay period and that busier you are you get a small incentive. Raises again depends on franchisee etc. some of the locations are a complete joke! For a quarterly or 3 month review the highest I've heard of a raise was 18cents! Being promoted from stylist to assistant manager is only max $1 per hour and the most of the managers pretty much have you do their work and watch you, have you do a lot of paperwork and some managers will have you do paperwork even when there's patients (they will take the clients). Management is generally pretty bad the way I see it is you may get 1 good manager out of every 5-10. Some of the managers will be super friendly to you then will turn around and want to write you up for petty stuff, they will act friendly then work you like a dog for little pay, sometimes they say they will work with your schedule of home life, job, family life etc., but then when it comes down to it they don't always follow through or will end up holding it against you and if you do not show up for the shift automatic write up. Some managers even on your off day if you dont answer your phone or ignore they will call you several times. Workplace is VERY HIGH stress between the attitude that may peak out of the managers randomly, constant telling you what your doing wrong or how you need to dress, what's not in dress code then randomly  more... they will change how they fill about your dress code. When they decide to have meetings sometimes its randomly the coming up weekend and they will make them mandatory no matter what you have going on and if you do not show they will write you up.
Honestly I can't say anything good about working for them besides the actually hair stylist coworkers and clients are the only thing that makes you enjoy your job!!! I've worked for several locations seems they never change! If you truly want to know pull a staff member aside away from their cameras that they CONSTANTLY watch their employees on and the stylists will tell you.
October 13, 2018

Since each salon is independently owned and operated, the best person to address your feedback would be the franchisee. If you would like, you can email Jeanne@greatclips.com with the salon location where you were employed & details. We will provide it to the franchisee for you. Thank you.

Great Start to a career, and honorable owners.
HAIRSTYLIST/ ASSITANT MANAGER (Current Employee) –  West Columbia, SCOctober 11, 2018
I have a positive outlook on Great Clips overall. It's a great starter to a cosmetology career. They don't offer many benefits but have flexible schedules.
Pros
Flexible schedules, they encourage promotion.
Cons
No good health insurance, no 401K
October 13, 2018

Because each salon is independently owned and operated, franchisees may use a number of different factors to determine stylist's total benefits and compensation. Thank you for being a part of a great team!

I loved it
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNOctober 11, 2018
Working at Great Clips was awesome ! An average day for my I cleaned my front dest and answered the phone for many retiring and new customers. I also swept and cleaned the cut hair off of everything .
October 12, 2018

We appreciate that you were a member of a great team! Thank you.

Very toxic environment from clients and styilists
Stylist (Current Employee) –  Egg harbor township njOctober 10, 2018
The working class men and women are great but them there's the cheap rich people who want the world done for 15.00 usually most people tip ok but it just really sucked the life out of me they have no clue who's really in charged and the manager that is supposed to be in charge of everyone and everything and the women had seen me one time its incredibly catty they smile in your face but don't let that fool you there just setting you up to stab you in the back
Pros
You can make decent money but its not easy
Cons
I have never seen so many hipocrites in one hairsalon
October 10, 2018

We are sorry that this has been your experience. Since each salon is independently owned and operated, the best person to address your concerns would be your franchisee. If you would like, please email Jeanne@greatclips.com with the salon location where you are employed & details. We will forward it to the franchisee for you. If you prefer to be anonymous, please let us know. Thank you.

Quit
Receptionist/ Hair Stylist (Former Employee) –  Foley, ALOctober 9, 2018
Wasn't enough hours or pay for the drive. I wanted to be transferred to a closer store. They didn't have a postition opened at the time. I would defiantly work for a closer GreatClips.
October 10, 2018

Please contact the salons directly as each location is independently owned and operated by a franchisee who hires their team. You can find salon locations or click "Careers" at www.greatclips.com. You also might like checking us out at www.greatclipscareers.com. Thank you!

Great clips
Hairstylist/Cosmetologist (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 9, 2018
A great company to work for! The owners of my brench is amazing and really cares about her employees . The environment in the salon is quick paced and busy which I personally think is best the salons for great clips are normally very clean .
October 10, 2018

Thank you for everything you do in the salon each day to deliver the Great Clips brand!

Fun place to work
Master Stylist (Current Employee) –  Douglasville, GAOctober 7, 2018
Management need ppl training in order to keep moral up. Clients are caring. Great concept for the busy family but hard to give a quality cut in the time alloted.
October 8, 2018

Our cutting system and advised haircut times are based on years of data we have collected showing the optimal time it takes to complete a quality haircut. Every customer deserves a personal experience and more time may be needed with some to be sure that happens. Others clearly take less time. Thank you for sharing your feedback.

It’s a chain
Stylist (Current Employee) –  Portland, OROctober 6, 2018
It’s nothing special. If you work with the right people and a good manager it’s not a bad job, if you don’t it’s awful. If I was straight out of school I would advise not getting trapped in a chain salon. You’ll never get anywhere.
Pros
I don’t know
Cons
Bad pay, really slow, bad tips
October 7, 2018

We are sorry this has been your experience. Since each salon is independently owned and operated, the best person to address your feedback would be your franchisee. If you would like to share more, please email Jeanne@greatclips.com with the salon location where you are employed and details. We will provide it to your franchisee for follow up with you. If you prefer to be anonymous, please let us know. Thank you.

Fast paced and great tips
Beauty Operator (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZOctober 5, 2018
I liked the tips at the store and the culture was relaxed. I think more emphasis should be placed on additional training. I didn't like the time-limit on cuts because I wanted to do a great cut each time.
Pros
Relaxed
Cons
time limits on services
October 6, 2018

Our cutting system and advised haircut times are based on years of data we have collected showing the optimal time it takes to create a quality haircut. Every customer deserves a personal experience and more time may be needed with some to be sure that happens. Clearly others take less time. Thank you for having been a part of a great team!

Low pay, no benefits
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Ferndale, miOctober 5, 2018
They don't give raises unless you threaten to quit. Will ask you to do things outside your job description. Will ask you to put money in the drawer to account for shortages. Will pay minimum wage which is ridiculous for a skilled trade.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Low pay, wage theft
October 6, 2018

Because each salon is independently owned and operated, the best person to address your concerns would be your franchisee. If you would like, you can email Jeanne@greatclips.com with the salon location where you are employed & details. We will forward it to your franchisee for you. If you prefer to be anonymous, please let us know. Thank you.

Awesome or not
Hair Stylist (Current Employee) –  Roseville, MNOctober 4, 2018
Awesome place to work depending on management. Most coworkers are team players and willing to help you out. Advancement is kind of hard to come by though.
Pros
Discounts. Free services
Cons
Busy. Very fast paced.
October 6, 2018

We appreciate everything you do in the salon each day to deliver the Great Clips brand!

peaceful enviornment non stressfull
Stylist (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZOctober 4, 2018
great with flexible hours pay rate is low I feel they do not pay suitable for the amount of work they have you do in your required field but they are very family oriented company
October 5, 2018

Because each salon is independently owned and operated, franchisees may use a number of different factors to determine stylist's total compensation. Thank you for being a member of a GREAT team!

Friendly coworkers.
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Cartersville, GAOctober 3, 2018
Great place to work. Friendly co-workers. Very busy location. I am a little sad I have to leave due to my hours being cut but I would recommend this job to anyone that asks about it.
Pros
Easy laid back job
Cons
Not paid enough.
October 4, 2018

Thank you for being a part of a great community of stylists and managers.

Great
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Idaho Falls, IDOctober 3, 2018
Great clips was a fun place to work! I learned a lot and it helped me really improve my hair cutting skills, not only quality but quantity. I definitely think my fades would never have been as good if I didn’t work there.
Pros
Goal setting, shared work load, fast paced, learning opportunities
Cons
Work Sunday
October 4, 2018

Good if you work hard and do your part
Cosmetologist (Former Employee) –  Superior, COOctober 3, 2018
The shop atmosphere will change a lot with each manager. Management seems to change a lot making it hard to be a stable place to work. The shortage of staff make is hard to keep up with the demand of customers.
October 4, 2018

Since each salon is independently owned and operated, the best person to address your management concerns would be the franchisee. If you would like, you can email Jeanne@greatclips.com with the salon location where you were employed & details. We will forward it to the franchisee for you. Thank you.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Great Clips. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.8InHerSight Score

2.6Personal Development

3.8Career Opportunities

2.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight