Great Clips Employee Reviews

Found 2,123 reviews matching the search See all 2,203 reviews
Fast pace creative environment with good pay
Cosmetology (Current Employee) –  OhioSeptember 25, 2018
Working at Great Clips can be challenging but that’s why it’s rewarding. You meet tons of people and get to give them a new look they love and will keep coming back for.
Pros
Creativity
Cons
Start pay is minimum wage plus tips
Fun work environment
Stylist (Current Employee) –  Nottingham, MDSeptember 24, 2018
Has some issues they can improve and work on but really good place to start off and great clientele and fast paced salon lists of mens cuts some women's cut and styles
Fast fast paced
Cosmetologist/Hair Stylist (Current Employee) –  Grand Forks, NDSeptember 24, 2018
You might want to go in on a weekend for a haircut and see what it's like before you apply for work here. It gets very busy. Overall not a terrible place to work as long as you dont make friends with to many of the girls.
Fun and easy going work environment
Manager (Current Employee) –  Greenfield, WISeptember 24, 2018
Have worked for Greatclips for 8 years. The franchisee is amazing and cares about his staff and their well being. Easy going work environment as long as you are there to do your job expected of you and want to be a team player. Great flexibility and make great tips from awsome and loyal clientele.
Pros
Bonuses available, paid vacation after a year, flexible schedule
Cons
None I can think of
Love where and who I work for!
Salon Manager (Current Employee) –  West Allis, WISeptember 24, 2018
I have been with the company for almost 14 years. I love the flexibility and security, benefits, ongoing education, family oriented and the customers.
The franchisee is the best person I have ever worked for! I enjoy going into work every day! Having that family and team makes you feel awesome and cared for! :)
Pros
Flexible scheduling, benefits, family, constant flow of customers and tips
Semi-Flexible hours, accepts tips.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Radcliff, KYSeptember 22, 2018
The pay isn't very high, and there is a large work load on most days. Tips are accepted from clients and are kept by the individual stylist. If you like to stay busy this is a great place to be, however the insurance offered is outrageously expensive and there are little to no other benefits for non management staff.
Pros
Free lunches once a month, opportunities to earn added commission and employee discount on products.
Cons
Timed haircuts, short breaks, expensive healthcare, no offered benefits.
September 23, 2018

Since each salon is independently owned and operated, the best person to address your concerns would be your franchisee. If you would like, you can email Jeanne@greatclips.com with the salon location where you are employed and details. We will provide it to your franchisee for follow up with you. If you prefer to be anonymous, please let us know. Thank you.

Fun place to work
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Rogers, ARSeptember 22, 2018
Great Clips is a fun place to work but it is fast-pace. You make some great friends with both regular clients and co-workers which is great. It is a great environment to work in.
September 23, 2018

Thank you for sharing your experience working in the salon each day!

Busy
Stylist (Former Employee) –  East Windsor, NJSeptember 21, 2018
Crazy busy and fast paced, no time for breaks, breaks not encouraged, only one 30 minute break, unpaid. benefits for full time, boring doing same haircuts all day long
September 23, 2018

Because each salon is independently owned and operated, the best person to address your feedback would be the franchisee. If you would like to share more, please email Jeanne@greatclips.com with the salon location where you were employed & details. We will forward it to the franchisee for you. Thank you.

Fun
Hair Stylist (Former Employee) –  Beaverton, ORSeptember 21, 2018
Everyone had a great attitude, making the work environment pleasant. All of the stylists were on a first name basis with most clients, which seemed to comfort our clients.
September 22, 2018

Thank you for sharing your comments and feedback. We appreciate that you were part of a great team!

fun workplace
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Carrollton, GASeptember 20, 2018
great part time job for a student. fun work environment. very helpful with scheduling around days you may need off. I enjoy my job here and the coworkers are fum loving and energetic.
September 21, 2018

We appreciate that you are a member of a GREAT team! Thank you for sharing your feedback.

I hope you like cutting hair, because there's a lot of that
Stylist (Former Employee) –  MichiganSeptember 18, 2018
Corporate guidelines for haircut times are 12-16 minutes, if i remember correctly your goal is 2.8 cuts per hour. It's not a lot of time to give a good consultation, section neatly, and crosscheck your work, but most customers are men wanting clipper cuts, so if you're efficient and precise you will probably do alright.

It can be very draining to keep up with the high customer volume, and the online check-in system can lead to some very unhappy customers when it does a poor job of estimating wait times. There are classes you can attend through Great Clips, mostly oriented around product but they can be helpful, and you usually leave with some cool swag.

If you aren't planning on being in the hair business for the long haul, and just want a consistent hourly paycheck, it's not a bad gig. Depending on the franchise they can be very flexible with hours, but some locations also deal with chronic understaffing. If you are creative, and have passion for what you do, it's probably best to give Great Clips a pass though. There just isn't enough time to really ply your craft.
Pros
hourly pay, usually flexible hours, paid training available
Cons
walk-in only structure can make it difficult to time breaks, depending on the franchise there may or may not be benefits offered
September 19, 2018

Our cutting system and advised haircut times are based on years of data we have collected showing the optimal time it should take to complete a haircut. Each customer deserves a personal, quality experience and more time may be needed with some to be sure that happens. Clearly, others take less time. We appreciate that you were a member of a great community of stylists and managers.

it was ok
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GASeptember 17, 2018
it was ok until my co workers worked together and was trying to fire me but other than that since i love anything that has to with hair i loved it just being there watching them cut hair was very satisfying to watch.
Pros
breaks
Cons
nothing
September 18, 2018

We are sorry that this was your experience. If you would like to share more, please email Jeanne@greatclips.com with the salon location & details. We will forward it to the franchisee as each salon is independently owned and operated. Thank you.

Standing Boarding
Shaker Board (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZSeptember 17, 2018
Do my job to make people to come and get a haircutting. And do stand up shake the board sign name of great clips. 5-7 hours to stand. Part is hard to because when i stand on side walk all gas car smell.
September 18, 2018

Thank you for being a part of a GREAT team and for offering your feedback.

Mediocre at best
Shift Manager/Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSSeptember 16, 2018
If you want a life outside of work, this is not the place for you. This company is only closed 4-5 days a year. Very rarely if ever closed for bad weather, and they usually staff low enough that if one stylist calls in, its awfull for the rest of the staff. LOW hourly pay,
September 17, 2018

Because each salon is independently owned and operated, your franchisee would be the best person to address your feedback. If you would like follow up, please email Jeanne@greatclips.com with the salon location where you are employed & details. We will provide it to your franchisee for you. If you prefer to be anonymous, please let us know. Thank you.

Not so Great
Stylist (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 16, 2018
Working here is exhausting. Tips are low since haircut is cheap. You are only busy because its so cheap, and cheap cuts usually equal low tips. You see 20 people in your 8 hour day and hope to make at least $100 in tips that day. Work smarter not harder. It's quantity over quality.
September 17, 2018

We are sorry that this was your experience. We appreciate that you were a member of a great team.

Manager and assistant manager are a nightmare
Stylist (Former Employee) –  United StatesSeptember 16, 2018
I won’t put where this happened bc I’m scared for my life but the manager and assistant manager were a nightmare to work with. They bully employees, belittle them in front of clients and co workers, and they corner you when no one is around to witness the disgusting behavior they displayed. I had a mental break down at work and threatened to walk out. They promised to be better and stop bullying me but after a few weeks they went right back to it. It’s just their personality. I don’t think they represent what great clips is as a whole but I def could not take working in that hostile environment anymore. I would work for the company again later down the road but for now I need my space.
Pros
N/a
Cons
Workplace bullying
Fun
Salon Manager/Stylist (Current Employee) –  Shelton, CTSeptember 13, 2018
I work as a manager in one of the salons. Its a fun place to work if you have the right people/owners . Each greatclips is different depending on owners. Im lucky enough to work for very nice people. The only downside is corp never pays attention to how hard you work and most owners dont offer insurance or paid vacation/sick days .
Pros
workers/customers
Cons
no insurance, no vacation paid time off
September 14, 2018

We appreciate everything that you and your team do in the salon each day. Because each location is independently owned and operated, franchisees may use a number of different factors to determine stylist's benefits. Thank you!

Fun company to work for
Stylist (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 12, 2018
Good company to grow with in , Can be a fun environment a place that can give you opportunity to learn more. The company is so popular that people from all the world come in for service and I get to enjoy learning what they want as far haircuts and styles and their trust.
Pros
Steady business
Cons
No health care
September 13, 2018

We appreciate that you were a valued member of a GREAT team!!!

Hairstylist
Hairstylist (Former Employee) –  Kenosha, WISeptember 11, 2018
Cutting people's hair would be a typical day, we cut about 50 people a day per person. You have to be very outgoing and social-able. The hardest part was some of the haircuts, the best part was being able to talk to people.
September 12, 2018

Thank you for sharing your experience working in the salon each day.

My typical day as a manager
Manager (Former Employee) –  United StatesSeptember 7, 2018
You have to be able to multitask as a employee and a manager. You also need to be willing to be available as a manager 24/7 even if your told you won't
Pros
cutting alot of hair
Cons
never being off
September 8, 2018

We appreciate that you were a member of a great team of stylists and managers.

September 10, 2018

We appreciate that you were a valued member of a great community of stylists and managers.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Great Clips. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

2.8InHerSight Score

2.6Personal Development

3.8Career Opportunities

2.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight