Great Day Improvements, LLC Employee Reviews

Great for entry position
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  OhioMarch 22, 2019
Where do I start.

First off I was hired right after the summer which Is when the season slows down in this industry. They lure you in with the paid salary, but are very vague in mentioning that you will have to pay back every penny once training is over and you start making commissions. Some people have actual training classes, I did not have any formal training. My trainer was a new manager that barley knew anything outside of sales, which was a waste of time. I later came back after a few months and seen another training class for two days, that was 2 full week, that was way more better and actually taught by someone that knew what the heck there were talking about and knew how to teach. The only manager I cared for was the regional he actually knew how to communicate, knew the business, and didn't come across as fake as the others. This place totally lacked any diversity and was very clickish amongst management. I was put on sales calls with other reps that openly said they don't like people ridding with them and that they are not getting paid to train you. After closing deals with the people I drove with I never got composited for half commissions, like I was promised. They decided to pay me for some of the jobs after I called them out a few times. My job was to take basic measurements and pass the rest of the job over. Instead of admitting that corporate dropped the ball or a different department, they blamed me instead, took no accountability for any mistakes. During the winter where no one usually sells anything they my came to me and said my performance is lacking.
  more... "Lol, so was the whole companies" They refused to take into account that the first
two months I was not aloud to make any sales calls on my own and used that against me. The month prior I sold over 200,000 in sales, higher than the best rep in district. They told me if I don't sell five jobs out of the next 25 leads that I would be put on disaplininary action. They started slowing down my leads and ended up closing two decent sized jobs in the process. Before I can get to 20 leads, my leads completely stoped coming for a full two weeks. At this point I got the hint and figured they were trying to get me to exit. As the new manager made it clear that he didn't think It was goin to work out between the company and I, he was another goofball that talked down about the company all the time. I mentioned that I never got my full opportunity to get my full 25 leads. After closing a job for $27,000 in the month of December. Mind you, I did not get into any issues with management, had great customer service feedback and never received 1 bonus. I pretty much was told I have to turn all my things in, I said can I at least resign, the manager agreed and come to find out I was fired instead. Right before the busiest season of the industry would begin. I had a very bad experience towards the end, I figure someone didn't like me for whatever reason and was slowly ejected from my position.

The company is actually a great company overall that does really top of the line work. I meet a few co-workers in corporate that we're as cool as they come, but also noticed people were having issues with some of the managers as well. The wrong managers can really take a great formula and turn it into a disastrous situation.

I suggest hire managers that actually enjoy the work, and have strong communication skills rather than high sales experience, disignste the sales manager to a separate position. I typically would drive a hour outside my city and come home to follow up with admins work that can take a hour or so. I still have jobs I've not been paid for and still waiting for three months after lol. In my option they made a big mistake letting someone like me go due to not liking me or in hopes of finding someone better. I hear they are struggling now even the goofball manager said the reps were making many sells. The logistics it take to committe to a job like takes is demanding and takes a unique type of person. I honestly think people were threatened by willingness to learn and feared I would come for their positions which is far from the truth. A good recipe with a bad cook makes for a bad restaurant. This company was made to succeed but I think there are some people that are working for this company with alter motives that I'm sure will be exposed, in the near future.

My message to the executive team is streamline your process with contracts and specs. Don't hire sales reps and teach them sells, hire reps and teach them about the culture of the company and construction side as fast as possible.

If you wish to work for this company you may have a different experience depending on your location. I wish I was more upfront about my lack of training in the beginning and would have applied during the beginning of 1st quarter instead of the third. I sacrificed a lot and didn't get the opportunity to work during the prime season. This my personal experience and opinions, I've been in this industry for some time now, so know when I spot a flawed system.

Good luck on your journey!
Pros
No micro management.
Cons
Lack of training and communication with corporate and management
Nobody knows this business
Head Laborer (Former Employee) –  West Allis, WINovember 27, 2018
In my time with this company, I've experienced NO training in the service OR installation process, the equipment being used was in poor and dangerous working order. The safety and well being of the workers is second to the "bottom line". The two managers are not trained in HOW to install the product themselves, but, yet expect the untrained employees to complete jobs they know nothing about!! When asked about how to finish a project, we are told to ask corporate how to do the final stage. Even the work vehicles are falling apart and NOT being taken care of through management, parts are missing on trucks, things are held together with rope, exhaust pipes are "clamped" with vise grips. Always the "promise" of a "future" and "writing your own ticket" with knowledge. Customers are totally ignored with their complaints, and the employees are told to contact them so the manager doesn't have to. The management team ONLY confronts the issue when they hear of the word, "lawsuit". The buck is always passed, and, noone takes responsibility for the poor mismanagement of this company. I've seen several customers request the presence of corporate managers because of the incompetence of the local ones. I can see why and how this market has failed time and time again, through the hiring of managers with quick mouths and empty promises. Good luck with trying to find a way to have your problems corrected in a timely manner, as, I've been in jobs that have existed since BEFORE i started working here.
Cons
It's obvious when the manager doesn't like you, along with some co-workers. Difficult to work with people right next to you commanding attention.
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Macedonia, OHJuly 30, 2018
No consideration for another person trying hard to get work done. Management has their preferred people and no one else matters. Training is haphazard and even when you don't understand, they make you feel stupid.
Pros
Hour lunch to get out and relax.
Cons
Ear plugs required and they didn't tell you.
Horrible
Installer (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJuly 27, 2018
Complete lack of concern for their employees personal life. Only concerned with the bottom line and not how their 12+ hour days impact the lives of the very people that make their company successful.
Pros
Cons
Overworked and underpayed
Great Place to Work!
Vice President of Marketing (Current Employee) –  Macedonia, OHFebruary 15, 2018
Great Day Improvements is a fantastic company with excellent growth potential. The leadership team of the organization is very focused not only on the right initiatives to grow the business but on the people, which is refreshing in this industry. There is a feeling of camaraderie and teamwork here that I've not experienced at other organizations.Personally, I love the job and the people I work with.
great people, great products, great culture
Management (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHFebruary 15, 2018
Good company for a long career in helping home owners build their dream rooms that improves the lifestyle. Team work is the culture that brings it all together
Great Place to work!
Management (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 14, 2018
Ive been with Great Day improvements now for a couple years and I have to say it is by far one the best places I have ever worked for. Its a real career opportunity and not just another job. Great culture in the office and out in the field. I would recommend anyone looking for a new career to come to Great Day Improvements.
Growing Company, Lots of Opportunity
Manager (Current Employee) –  Macedonia, OHFebruary 14, 2018
GDI plans to grow over 30% and add over 100 new people this year!! There is opportunity for personal and professional growth all over the place within the company.

I've enjoyed my 3 years here greatly, built a lot of great relationships, made many friends, and most importantly, I've had a lot of fun.
Pros
Atmosphere, Collaborative Nature, Tons of Opportunity, Great people.
Cons
N/a
Great Day Improvement
Maintenance Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Macedonia, OHFebruary 7, 2018
Great Day improvement is a great place to work. the layoffs come every year in part to the lagging winter sales. But the company does as much as they can to ease the pain of its laid off workers until they are called back to work
Couldn't imagine working anywhere else
Call Center Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Macedonia, OHJanuary 4, 2018
I have worked in the Call Center for 6+ years and could not imagine working anywhere else! I started out on the phones and, over time, they made a position for me from scratch and have treated me very well! The management at all levels is very friendly and feels like family over the years. The higher ups seem to really care about their staff and try to show their appreciation whenever possible. Very fun and inviting culture who works hard to see the company succeed as well knowing when to take time to have fun. Highly recommend this place.
Pros
great bosses, fast passed, not overly stressful
Cons
Things are constantly changing, but not necessarily in a bad way
It is very Relaxed.
Outside Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Macedonia, OHNovember 10, 2017
It is a Very fun place to work for. Co-workers are awesome and Boss is just The Best boss you could ever have. And it has a very nice Atmosphere and is Just an All out amazing company to work for. and very flexible with your hours.
Pros
Very fun, Great Atmosphere. The list goes on.
Cons
There aren't Cons in my Opinion.
Growing Company
Supervisor/Manager (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHSeptember 29, 2017
Great people. Solid Management.
I have been with the company for over 3 years now and things have gotten progressively better each year. The company added a new 401k plan and health savings account with a big company contribution since I started. People care about each other and management listens to people. Great work environment.
Pros
Positive place to work
Very Happy for over 20 Years. Recent Mgmt. = Gone downhill since
Designer (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHSeptember 28, 2017
I was a sales/design person. With company 20 years and have been through a lot of changes including a sale and close bankruptcy. Loved job until new management came in a couple years ago. Now- cut throat, micro-managed to the 10th degree. Unrealistic goals selling overpriced product. Good product/poor installation= unhappy customers.

Was a dream job that turned into your basic high pressure, "one call close" mentality.

This is a 100% commission position and I would not recommend unless you can get a salary plus commission. Benefits are decent.

I am sorry I had to leave. New positions created and too many layers of management.

If you like having a mgr. looking over your shoulder maybe this is the job for you.

Felt like I worked for Sear's again. (Loser company)
Pros
Good product, solid sales process, decent pay if you can sell.
Cons
Overpriced, cold leads, no leads or running your butt off. 6 day work week. No paid vacation or sick time.
good job even better people
Carpenter/Laborer (Current Employee) –  Taunton, MAApril 19, 2017
I would still be there if i didn't get hurt was not work related but awesome place to work.the hardest part of the job is getting paid every two weeks but don't get me wrong if you are not used to working hard this job is not for you.
Amazing Environment
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Macedonia, OHApril 14, 2017
I love my job it is amazing. Despite the air conditioning blasting all day Great Day Improvements is a great place to work. I highly recommend for a great part time job.
Pros
Great hours and pay
Cons
Part Time
Working At Great Day
Utility Worker (Current Employee) –  Macedonia, OHNovember 14, 2016
Well I currently still working here and its very easy work to do as long as you pay attention management is cool the co-workers are nice they just talk a lot lol the hardest part about the job is nothing really everything is very easy the best part about the job is that its easy lol.. i
Not the best place to work, but its a steady job.
Warehouse supervisor (Current Employee) –  West Allis, WIMarch 7, 2016
This company is headed nowhere and I want out. I am looking for a company that's going to help me grow and use my education to its best abilities.
Its an okay place to work.
Warehouse Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMarch 7, 2016
I am looking for a change. Management is not the best and I just need something better in my life with a set schedule. My life is headed in a different direction and I need a company that is gone fit the direction i am headed in.
Pros
Learn new things
Cons
Bad management
I am willing to work overtime holidays
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Macedonia, OHDecember 3, 2015
I am looking for a career advancing job with future advancement potential. dedication to high worth ethic and advancement potential. I come to work early and stay late dont need breaks or lunch.
Pros
no lunch is required
Cons
no breaks needed
Company was not managed well.
Project Lead (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJuly 3, 2015
Company started out strong in the Nashville area. However, they did not finish strong at all. Closed down after 5 months in the business.

Products were good just management did not care to much for the employees.
Pros
Good benefits and balance with home life.
Cons
Poorly Managed

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Great Day Improvements, LLC. Our community is ready to answer.

Great Day Improvements, LLC Reviews by Location