Great Hearts Academies
Happiness rating is 63 out of 100

Great Hearts Academies Employee Reviews

Great Hearts Academies insights

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Time and location flexibility

Poor management, hypocritical leaders

Some aspects of the culture and mission are very positive and of great benefit to students, although overall, the staff and curriculum tends to be lacking in diversity and inclusivity. Operations are poorly managed and leadership turns a blind eye to obvious problems. Hypocrisy, lies, and distrust abound.

Pros

Culture, benefits, less challenging student behaviors than other settings

Cons

No accountability by leadership, very weak HR department, difficult to get a pay increase, high turnover

Poor experiencr

Did not like working here because it was not a good experience for me although some people were supportive most seemed stuck up. Vibe of school including parents of kids who attend is uppity.

Pros

Cons

Short breaks

Fun to work at

I meet some great people here. I had fun with coworkers and the students. It can be stressful at times, dealing with issues like difficult students (or parents) but overall it was a good job.

Pros

Teaching Math

Cons

Low Pay

Unless you're a favorite...watch out!

The administration doesn't live up to their motto of "Seek first to understand and then be understood" nor "We believe the best in you." You are at the mercy of their interpretations and watch out if they interpret something you say or do in the negative. You cannot tell them that is was a misunderstanding. No! One reason for this is because admin will not talk to you to quote "seek first to understand and then be understood." You find out your alleged mistake when you are in the headmasters office, who by the way agrees with anyone that kisses their behind without searching for the truth... and the write-up is given. You are given no choice other than to comply with whatever nonsense they say or leave. That is why each year there are an abundance of people who leave Great Hearts, because although the philosophy of Great Hearts is wonderful, very few people in administration adhere and it trickles down to the employees.If you are fickle and or naive and like working with fickle people Great Hearts would be the place for you.Positive note, the kids are better behaved than public school kids and the PSO do a terrific job in helping around the school.

Pros

Lunch time, holidays

Cons

Anything to do with admins ability to actually run the school.

Strong support system

The staff here is so supportive and kind. They always give you the resources you need. I also love working with the kids. Very promising. The values at the school was very clear.

Pros

Awesome PSO, Great Staff

Cons

Work life balance

Care to share?

Help people considering your employer. Share your experience.

Great environment, low pay

I enjoy working with the people I have at the school. Pay is very low, but a certificate is not required. Some days are more stressful than others, but it is fulfilling work and most teams are very supportive of one another.

Pros

Free lunches, summer break

Cons

Low pay

Amazing Culture of Passion and Purpose

The passion and commitment of all Great Hearts employees makes the culture and work environment of this organization second to none. The consistent adherence to the mission and vision provides belonging and purpose to all faculty members despite their particular role. Their is joy and fulfillment in all we do. We are a family, a unified body of diverse individuals focused on the wholistic development of our communities.

At Great Hearts, it's ALL about the teachers

It is no exaggeration to say that FACULTY - Teachers and Apprentice Teachers - at our 35 campuses in AZ and TX are at the root and heart of everything we do - every success we achieve, every decision leadership makes, every dream we have about how to continually improve our mission in public, classical, K-12 education. This is as it should be, as faculty culture and happiness is our greatest strength as an organization. We work relentlessly to hire the right individuals to lead our classrooms and schools - folks from incredibly diverse backgrounds in education and experience, who have a heart for serving young people. Great Hearts teachers and staff are among the most impressive professionals you'd be likely to meet in or outside of the education industry. They are beautiful models of good people living a good life - intellectually, morally, and aesthetically alive, and animated by being part of a community of learners, part of something larger than themselves.

A Wonderful School

Great Hearts is a wonderful school to work for. Their mission aligns with my personal beliefs about the formation of our children and their dedication to forming the hearts and minds of the students in their care is evident in all the decisions they make. I because associated with the school as a parent because it was the best education available for my students that provided not just opportunities to learn but to grow in their thinking and reasoning as well. Now, after having been on the faculty for more than four years, I can attest that all we do is filtered through the lens of what will benefit our students.

Benefit of working for Great Hearts

The best part of my job at Great Hearts is knowing that the work we do is in support of the amazing teachers we employ as well as ultimately helping students achieve social and academic growth.

Jobs at Great Hearts Academies

See more jobs

Working at Great Hearts

Great Hearts has a solid environment of rich curriculum in all grades. The workplace culture is to include everyone at all levels. The people are team players and kind to their coworkers.

Invigorating Work

As a teacher, this is a great environment for my personal learning in addition to my professional growth. I've really appreciated the focus developing the intellect and hearts of the faculty.

An engaging place to work

At Great Hearts, the faculty is one of the best parts of the job. I have been surrounded by people who share in the mission of the school, and there is always engaging conversation to be found. The hardest part of the job is recognizing the enormous responsibility that we have as educators in instructing the students that come through our door - there are lesson plans to create, papers to grade, parents to email, students to check on. It is hard work but also the most rewarding work I know of.

Mission Driven

Great Hearts is an organization that is committed to their mission and the students they serve. They offer opportunities of growth for those that seek it, and there is a dedication to support academy faculty. It is an organization that requires a willingness to work hard, be thoughtful in your actions, and commit time to any team you are a part of. As a nonprofit organization, the pay does not always match the time and service being asked of the employees, but those that are equally committed to the organization find purpose in the work they do.

Great Hearts' holistic investment in life-long learning

Just as Great Hearts Academies exists to help students love life-long learning, they also invest in their teachers to pursue life-long learning. I am forever grateful to Great Hearts Academies for giving me a scholarship for a master's in classical education, which not only has made me a better teacher and talent coordinator, but also a better person. Great Hearts' investment in their employees is holistic by not only providing world-class professional development in classical pedagogy, but also bringing a concentration of talent to mentor and provide an encouraging community of friends. Some of my best friendships have been formed by discussing a book on early release Fridays, cooking dinners together, or exploring our city together. If you're looking for a school network that will invest in you holistically through continued education, professional development, and a strong community, Great Hearts is the right fit for you.

Company really cares about students but poor work/life balance and compensation

The teachers really care about the students and have created a very good curriculum that is more advanced than average schools, however this comes with a cost as most teachers are given a lot of work which can bleed into the evenings and weekends.

Pros

Positive Leadership, always looking for ways to improve, really care about the families and students

Cons

Poor work/life balance, more work than one person can handle, leadership not always supportive

Great Hearts is a Great Place to Work

Overall, Great Hearts is a wonderful organization to work for. I enjoy the people I work with and my role within the organization. I have worked for Great Hearts for approximately eleven years and have watched the organization grow.

Working at Great Hearts

Great Hearts is a wonderful place to begin a career as a teacher. The culture of each academy is different, but they are united around the core mission of promoting liberal arts education and an appreciation for the good, the true, and the beautiful among students, faculty, and the greater community. From my own experience, and that of friends who teach across the network, the Great Hearts have been a supportive place to work and grow as a teacher. I am often in awe at the dedication, talent, and open-mindedness of the teachers I work with and have met from across the network. The students and faculty that I work with every day have helped me grow in many and unexpected ways.

Meeting the needs of people

They take education very seriously. The number one goal is student success. Main office is in Arizona. Growth of charter school is going strong. No downside to the company.

Pros

Great benefits, great people

Cons

Overall there is none to mention.

Great Hearts - character education and building relationships

Great Hearts is a wonderful place to work. The commitment to the education of children and building relationships with the community including student, staff, and parents is at the center of everything we do. The focus on character education and teaching virtue and ethics really speaks volumes about what we strive to instill in our students. The focus on finding talented and excited teachers who have a love for their subject matters makes the educational process come alive. I enjoyed teaching middle school and appreciate the supportive and friendly work environment with my fellow teachers. We do have to put in extra time sometimes for evaluations or meetings but Great Hearts believes in making sure teachers maintain work/life balance.

Lots of Work

This charter school is a lot of work. It is very demanding on all staff members. It is very difficult to have a social life since much of your time is dedicated to your work. The families are wonderful!

Pros

Families, students

Cons

healthcare, work load, stress

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Great Hearts Academies. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Ratings from women

2.6
InHerSight Score
2.9Personal Development
2.9Career Opportunities
2.2Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight