Great Lakes Caring Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Not enough help
Manager (Current Employee) –  MichiganAugust 14, 2018
increased volume, not enough staff in the office or the field. Changes being made and people are scared. Serious lack of communication from upper management
Worst experience ever
Campus Care Attendent 1 (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 12, 2018
Great alakes Caring is the worst company to work for when it come to disciple they fire you with even letting you know your on investigation and why u are on investigation would not recommend anyone work for them
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Horrible management skill
Poor management & over worked
Billing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Jackson, MIJuly 30, 2018
Those who take pride in their work are made to feel helpless. Nothing you do to make things better ever matters. The business is oblivious as to what each person's job is. Very dissatisfied with the outcome. There' no room for advancement. Communication between departments is horrible.
Pros
Source of income
Cons
Paid time off is lacking
Great Lakes
ASSOCIATE APPLIED (Former Employee) –  JacksonJuly 26, 2018
I would absolutely recommend this company if you are okay with being busy and sometimes a bit stressed. They pay very well and the company has lots to offer.
Pros
Organized, independence, salary
Cons
can get hectic, difficulty balance work and life
CNA/HHA (Current Employee) –  South Bend, INJuly 24, 2018
Great Lakes Caring is a great place to work, although they don’t always work with you when it comes to family emergencies and time off overall the company is great!
Stressful and changing
Physical therapist (Current Employee) –  South Bend, INJuly 19, 2018
When I started, it was clan culture and easy going. The culture made the stress of the job ok. The transition to hierarchy culture doesn't motivate you to want to help out. This seemed to start when the executives switched. It is necessary for the company to do this because they keep expanding like McDonald's. Our cars say "employees and patients are number 1." The actual job says "employees are line cooks and patients are burgers. " The mission statement, name, and slogan represent an idealistic standard that isn't real to what actually happens. Such a vast footprint requires streamlined policy and competent managers. I've watched this company chew up, light on fire, and send branch managers packing on their own free will. They fail to see we are working with people's lives, not slinging value meals. Being a nurse doesn't make you a manager, yet every manager has been a nurse with no real skills that I have seen. Meetings consist of money talk and patient planning. It's essential to budget and provide services and make money and innovate. I've never heard the word quality in a meeting. Scheduling with this company REQUIRES patience and a personality that hates organization. If you need to tell someone when you will be home, look elsewhere. Goals for productivity are not achievable. Overall if I have worked at worse places and my personality plays to this type of work. The company is going to keep growing and eliminating small start up home health company's and eventually learn they are too big for their own good. But line cooks are readily  more... available and the world is hungry. When we burn out, a new personal will fill our spot.  less
Pros
Helping patients in their homes, ability to provide quality patient care.
Cons
Management, scheduling, burn out, scheduling, you are a warm body with a license, no innovation, scheduling, life work balance, hypocrisy between mission and providing
If you like to drive this is the job for you
RN Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJuly 18, 2018
Inexperienced reactive management, lousy benefits ($6000 deductible). Don't expect to keep your territory. Favoritism guides managment decisions.Avoid
Pros
Good work/life balance, not much overtime
Cons
Rampant favoritism practices, Pressure from management to practice unethically (not chart what you see), Reactive inexperienced unethical mgmt practices with no recourse
Never again
Per diem RN-perform OASIS and routine visits (Former Employee) –  Clinton Township, MIJune 7, 2018
NA- absolutely no chance to perform job as desired. Micromanaged on every level. Over worked performing several jobs when I left but yet corporate claims we were overstaffed.
Great place to work if you don’t have a family. Very stressful
Nurse (Former Employee) –  Kokomo, INMay 12, 2018
After you work 8-10 hours, you still have to come home and plan your next day out, which includes calling all of your patients. Then the next day the office changes your patient load, or adds to it, and you have to reschedule your day all over again. Then if your documentation isn’t done, you have to complete that at home as well. If no one picks up on call shifts (evening/night shift) they are assigned regardless of your schedule.
Pros
Paid drive time
Cons
No work/life balance
Daily task at work
Personal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Palos Heights, ILMay 8, 2018
The people in my workplace were very friendly as well as a small workforce, due to the company being small i usually worked at a slow pace. my task daily were to fax off time sheets, answer phone calls, and print out copies for company purpose. I really enjoy working at Great lakes and look forward to working a similar job the future.
Pros
free breakfast and lunch
Cons
short breaks and had to work weekends
Ok to work at
Hospice Clinical Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIApril 17, 2018
The patients and field staff are mostly wonderful; however, office staff can be quite mean. They will not pay for overtime. It’s better to work in the field than in the office.
Pros
Can wear headphones
Cons
Won’t pay for OT
No flexibility or job security
Occupational Therapist (OT) (Former Employee) –  Des Plaines, ILApril 14, 2018
If you take more than two days off due to sickness and feeling ill you are let go, even when hospitalized and your boss sees you in the hospital. I don’t recommend.
Great place to be employed
CNA/Caregiver (Current Employee) –  Rochester Hills, MIApril 8, 2018
Love my boss and I enjoy our team! We are a caring group of individuals, that strive to be our best. Love caring for people that need my help. It's very rewarding.
Pros
Great communication, gifts, bonus's
great lakes is ok
Home Health Aide (Former Employee) –  Adrian, MIMarch 16, 2018
They aren't the best place to work as there is barely any room for advancement. I want to move to full and I was denied even though I was to always want the overtime when it was available and when I quit the supervisor showed up and my door and wouldn't leave
Horrible experience
Stan (Former Employee) –  Toledo, ohMarch 11, 2018
Very clicky. Manager had favorites. Unfair driving schedules and home visits. The number of people that needed to be seen in an 8 hour day was ridiculous when patients were at least 45 minutes away from each other. Worked at least 10 hour days. Manager would talk to “friends” about other people’s problems and concerns. Very unorganized!
Pros
Cons
Driving at least 100 miles a day around Ohio
Terrible place to work do not recommend
CNA (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MichiganMarch 8, 2018
Very stressful place to work where you are treated like a child. Managers yell at you through email, terrible clickiness, cut throat environment with lots of tattle tales, back stabbers, and LIARS! They send you to dangerous homes and never know what to expect when you get there. Management is terrible, disorganized, and uncaring. Hardest part of the job is all the drama. NOTHING enjoyable about working here, and I feel sorry for anyone who does.
Supportive management both local and corporate.
Manager (Current Employee) –  KansasFebruary 19, 2018
I've enjoyed the new culture over the last year. Policies in place and consistently followed for all staff. Potential for future growth in company. Support provided from other branches as new items come u
Pros
Supportive, excellent teamwork, positive environment
Political
Na (Current Employee) –  Mentor, OHFebruary 17, 2018
Good onboarding training. A few good co-workers.Office overall is Terribly clicky,clinical mgr and branch mgr play favorites. LOTS of back stabbing.If you help with over load of patients, they complain about efficiency ( must be in by 10 am next day no matter how many patients you see or YOU will get dinged)..If you like (or need) to know your schedule more than the night before forget about it. Balanced family/work life is a LIE. Ask a question to improve understanding, many co workers will throw you under the bus. Ask clarifying questions and you will get 3-4 different answers and will have to complete documents differently for each/multiple managers. Ask branch manager a question and you will get accused. SEVERE micromanagement at every level.Might be good for a new grad, but not for anyone who can think for themselves.Patients are great but unless you are one of the "elite" few plan on going all over north eastern Ohio/ Cleveland.Patients complain that too many different staff sent in. Quality of care suffers bc too many different staff rotated into home.
Pros
Paid for drive time
Cons
Clicky, don't know schedule
Stressful place to work mostly due to unfit management
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 8, 2018
I would NOT recommend Great Lakes Caring for employment, they are extremely unprofessional and if they get mad with you your hours will be cut. The managers are not fit for their position. Always unorganized and lack of basic training. And they get mad when they call you in and you can't come. Do not waste your time.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Unprofessional, unorganized, short breaks
flexible
Hospice Aide (Current Employee) –  Bingham Farms, MIJanuary 30, 2018
Overall this company is a great place to work for the pay could be better for the aides the communication can be better with the field staff and office staff
Pros
flexible
Cons
pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Great Lakes Caring. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.0InHerSight Score

2.7Personal Development

3.3Career Opportunities

3.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight