Great Lakes Caring Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Great place to work if you don’t have a family. Very stressful
Nurse (Former Employee) –  Kokomo, INMay 12, 2018
After you work 8-10 hours, you still have to come home and plan your next day out, which includes calling all of your patients. Then the next day the office changes your patient load, or adds to it, and you have to reschedule your day all over again. Then if your documentation isn’t done, you have to complete that at home as well. If no one picks up on call shifts (evening/night shift) they are assigned regardless of your schedule.
Pros
Paid drive time
Cons
No work/life balance
Daily task at work
Personal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Palos Heights, ILMay 8, 2018
The people in my workplace were very friendly as well as a small workforce, due to the company being small i usually worked at a slow pace. my task daily were to fax off time sheets, answer phone calls, and print out copies for company purpose. I really enjoy working at Great lakes and look forward to working a similar job the future.
Pros
free breakfast and lunch
Cons
short breaks and had to work weekends
No flexibility or job security
Occupational Therapist (OT) (Former Employee) –  Des Plaines, ILApril 14, 2018
If you take more than two days off due to sickness and feeling ill you are let go, even when hospitalized and your boss sees you in the hospital. I don’t recommend.
Great place to be employed
CNA/Caregiver (Current Employee) –  Rochester Hills, MIApril 8, 2018
Love my boss and I enjoy our team! We are a caring group of individuals, that strive to be our best. Love caring for people that need my help. It's very rewarding.
Pros
Great communication, gifts, bonus's
great lakes is ok
Home Health Aide (Former Employee) –  Adrian, MIMarch 16, 2018
They aren't the best place to work as there is barely any room for advancement. I want to move to full and I was denied even though I was to always want the overtime when it was available and when I quit the supervisor showed up and my door and wouldn't leave
Horrible experience
Stan (Former Employee) –  Toledo, ohMarch 11, 2018
Very clicky. Manager had favorites. Unfair driving schedules and home visits. The number of people that needed to be seen in an 8 hour day was ridiculous when patients were at least 45 minutes away from each other. Worked at least 10 hour days. Manager would talk to “friends” about other people’s problems and concerns. Very unorganized!
Pros
Cons
Driving at least 100 miles a day around Ohio
Terrible place to work do not recommend
CNA (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MichiganMarch 8, 2018
Very stressful place to work where you are treated like a child. Managers yell at you through email, terrible clickiness, cut throat environment with lots of tattle tales, back stabbers, and LIARS! They send you to dangerous homes and never know what to expect when you get there. Management is terrible, disorganized, and uncaring. Hardest part of the job is all the drama. NOTHING enjoyable about working here, and I feel sorry for anyone who does.
Supportive management both local and corporate.
Manager (Current Employee) –  KansasFebruary 19, 2018
I've enjoyed the new culture over the last year. Policies in place and consistently followed for all staff. Potential for future growth in company. Support provided from other branches as new items come u
Pros
Supportive, excellent teamwork, positive environment
Political
Na (Current Employee) –  Mentor, OHFebruary 17, 2018
Good onboarding training. A few good co-workers.Office overall is Terribly clicky,clinical mgr and branch mgr play favorites. LOTS of back stabbing.If you help with over load of patients, they complain about efficiency ( must be in by 10 am next day no matter how many patients you see or YOU will get dinged)..If you like (or need) to know your schedule more than the night before forget about it. Balanced family/work life is a LIE. Ask a question to improve understanding, many co workers will throw you under the bus. Ask clarifying questions and you will get 3-4 different answers and will have to complete documents differently for each/multiple managers. Ask branch manager a question and you will get accused. SEVERE micromanagement at every level.Might be good for a new grad, but not for anyone who can think for themselves.Patients are great but unless you are one of the "elite" few plan on going all over north eastern Ohio/ Cleveland.Patients complain that too many different staff sent in. Quality of care suffers bc too many different staff rotated into home.
Pros
Paid for drive time
Cons
Clicky, don't know schedule
Stressful place to work mostly due to unfit management
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 8, 2018
I would NOT recommend Great Lakes Caring for employment, they are extremely unprofessional and if they get mad with you your hours will be cut. The managers are not fit for their position. Always unorganized and lack of basic training. And they get mad when they call you in and you can't come. Do not waste your time.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Unprofessional, unorganized, short breaks
flexible
Hospice Aide (Current Employee) –  Bingham Farms, MIJanuary 30, 2018
Overall this company is a great place to work for the pay could be better for the aides the communication can be better with the field staff and office staff
Pros
flexible
Cons
pay
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJanuary 26, 2018
GLC is a great place to work. Just be prepared to drive, drive, drive. Sometimes you will drive 200 miles a day that to me is the only downfall. Management tries hard to accommodate their employees.
Great patients, mostly easy work
Home Health/Hospice Nurse (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MIJanuary 13, 2018
Tons of travel time, patients care load is always changing. Mostly take the patients or families word against the nurse(which is understandable at times, but not every time). Lots of new learning experiences. Overall support from the management team is ok. Really enjoyed having most of the same patients every week.
Pros
Chance to build great patient/Nurse relationships
Cons
Continually changing patient load throughout the week, and sometimes throughout the day
So much better with new Hospice manager.
RN (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OHJanuary 13, 2018
I worked as a hospice nurse. When I came there the clinical supervisor was incompetent. No support and childish. Now they have put experienced Management in place who is supportive and understanding. It is a much better working environment.
Pros
Experienced Management and support.
Poor Management. Clicky.
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Terre Haute, INJanuary 12, 2018
Hostile work environment. Management is easily fooled. Teamwork is not encouraged. Salaried position with no compensation for extra hours worked. Upper management are very appreciative and encourage staff. Local management is not supportive.
Pros
Good benefits. Patients/families are very thankful for care.
Cons
Long days with little daily reward
Disorganized and stressful
RN Case Manager (Current Employee) –  South Bend, INJanuary 12, 2018
I changed shifts because I was not seeing my family. Management didn't bother to inform scheduling so I was working two shifts for about a month and a half. all management said was sorry maybe we should have communicated the change. still the change was not communicated by management. I had to speak with staff individually to make sure they knew what shift I was working.
Pros
Good pay if your if you live only to work
Cons
Very little communication, resulting in repeated documentation and more work.
Feel good knowing you help
Hospice Aide (Current Employee) –  Clinton Township, MIJanuary 6, 2018
I work for the hospice side, and I love my job. My Clinton township team has always worked well together, we help each other out. We have staff meetings every month, and my boss is very easy to work with. I love bringing companionship to my patients and their families. I am able to leave work knowing I've made someone feel better. We get tons of benefits, and discounts, and my boss gives out bonuses every now and then to say thank you. We get reimbursed for milage and drive time. My only complaint is, I wish I get paid more. Some of the other girls get paid more than me and have been there less. It's unfair.
Great Lakes
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  United StatesJanuary 2, 2018
They recurred me to pass out medications which I had no clue what I was passing out at times so I felt uncomfortable and refused to do it. Also its illegal for a cna to pass out medications. A cna does not get the right training to be able to pass out medications.
Pros
Nice residents
Cons
Longs days, short breaks
N/a
Hospice Nurse (Current Employee) –  Akron, OHDecember 27, 2017
it is a great place to work as far as duties and benifits but the management needs work they are very scattered and play favorites kind of high school like with clicks and buddy systems.
Top Notch Home Care and Hospice Provider
Nurse (Former Employee) –  Kokomo, INDecember 20, 2017
Great employees. Company has great vision and is very forward thinking. Staff care about their patients. Management cares about their staff and patients as well.
Pros
Forward thinking company
Cons
A lot of work hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Great Lakes Caring. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.0InHerSight Score

2.7Personal Development

3.3Career Opportunities

3.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight