Great Lakes Caring Employee Reviews

Awful
Home Health Aide (Current Employee) –  Jackson, MIOctober 19, 2018
Awful place to work, they made me work 14 days in a row and then when I would finally have a day off would ask if I wanted more days. There was no communication in the office ever, about anything, I would go to a patients house and it turns out they had called the service to cancel for the day and Great Lakes wouldn't call me to let me know I wasnt needed for the day, so I drove 30 minutes to and from a patients house to be turned away. I would tell the office that I had a patient who was VERY verbally abusive and nothing was ever done about it. BEWARE.
Pros
Patients are usually amazing
Cons
No communication, hours are awful, nothing done about verbally abusive patient.
I don’t know anymore
Campus Care Attendant (Current Employee) –  Burton, MIOctober 18, 2018
Since being bought out, Great Lakes Caring terminated our job without warning and expect us to work until then. Right before the holidays. My manager was great but the company sucks.... if you can don’t work here or make it your second job or you will be homeless
Pros
Great with Scheduling
Cons
Management don’t care
Love home care
Speech Language Pathologist (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 17, 2018
Home care is fantastic. I love my patients and coworkers.
The collaborative approach is invaluable for our patients.
Functionality of home care is proven to facilitate progress of patients.
Pros
salary
Too Many Changes
Clinical Manager (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MIOctober 4, 2018
Company has merged with a larger company, Lost it's way turning to monetary incentive rather than patient focused. New management dose not tell employees about the changes it is making
Pros
good salary
Cons
No work life balance
It is no longer GLC
Triage Nurse Great Lakes Caring (Former Employee) –  Kokomo, INSeptember 25, 2018
GLC was bought out and your job is not safe, work, home life balance is non-existent. Patients/caregivers/employees are no longer the priority of the company and benefits are terrible.
Pros
I worked with an excellent team
Cons
The Company
Jobs
Campus Care Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Jackson, MISeptember 20, 2018
Its a company that tends to hire workers who care about their patients. You work alone often and can work on your pace and your preference. Management can is good when you can reach them.
Ownership has changed
HME TECHNICIAN I (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MISeptember 14, 2018
My work was great during my time there. I really enjoyed working with the company which had an atmosphere of care for the patient.

However, they eliminated the equipment department without warning. During my job, I delivered and maintained home medical equipment and enjoyed working with the other staff and the patients.

I was blindsided when the department was suddenly eliminated.

Now the company has been taken over by another large healthcare conglomerate and there is no longer the same management.
good place
Clinical Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Lafayette, INSeptember 10, 2018
good place for awhile, not enough pay raises or bonus. Hard to move up in the company. most co workers are friendly and nice ot talk to. good for a starter job.
Pros
co workers
Cons
not a lot of raises
Love working with elderly
Campus Care Aid (Current Employee) –  Battle Creek, MISeptember 8, 2018
The company dies not give raises or offer employees anything there is no advancement or training opportunities, we go through employees at a fast pace...Some weeks i work ten hours some weeks not at all some weeks my pay check is 100 a week some weeks its 30 dollars
They dont care about their employees or patients enough to make a change with scheduling.
Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MISeptember 7, 2018
Tons of patient complaints in past 6 months due to scheduling. This is the reason they are losing this awesome nurse, patients and other field nurses. Schedulers are placing patients on nurse schedules at least the night prior like patients want and nurses are unable to call patients ahead of time due to this huge dilemma. I am leaving a job I once loved because I have discussed this issue with management for over 6 months now and its only become worse. Multiple nurses are dealing with same issues and we get the brunt of the patients anger due to this and we have no control over it. Its truly sad.
Pros
Excellent benefits and pay
Cons
work never ends
Not a compassionate company
LPN (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MISeptember 4, 2018
Very poor management and support to staff
Nurses overloaded and burnt out with patient load
Patients had to edit to long for staff to arrive
Very large turn over of nursing staff
Don’t go there!
Care Coordinator (Former Employee) –  OhioAugust 28, 2018
Poor, inept, and inexperienced managers at local and regional level.
Very much a backstabbing and vicious climate
Make promises they don’t keep... in a word, they lie
Horrible drive times
Pros
Great to card for patients and families
Cons
Everything else
Great Culture
Hospice Aid (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOAugust 20, 2018
Everyone gets along well and the environment is relaxed. We have fun and we enjoy coming to work. No one day is like the next and that keeps us on our toes.
Not enough help
Manager (Current Employee) –  MichiganAugust 14, 2018
increased volume, not enough staff in the office or the field. Changes being made and people are scared. Serious lack of communication from upper management
Worst experience ever
Campus Care Attendent 1 (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 12, 2018
Great alakes Caring is the worst company to work for when it come to disciple they fire you with even letting you know your on investigation and why u are on investigation would not recommend anyone work for them
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Horrible management skill
Co-workers provided outstanding holistic patient care.
Hospice RN Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MI 49546August 2, 2018
Assessed patients for hospice appropriateness, collaborated with primary care and hospice medical director, provided patient visits where ever the patient may reside, such as skilled nursing facilities, assisted living centers, independent live or residential homes. Assessed patients, managed medications, provided medical treatments, educated caregivers and families. Supervised certified nursing assistants. Provided physical, emotional and spiritual support to the terminally ill patients and their families.
Pros
Interacting with patients and families.
Cons
Excessive drive time between patients.
Poor management & over worked
Billing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Jackson, MIJuly 30, 2018
Those who take pride in their work are made to feel helpless. Nothing you do to make things better ever matters. The business is oblivious as to what each person's job is. Very dissatisfied with the outcome. There' no room for advancement. Communication between departments is horrible.
Pros
Source of income
Cons
Paid time off is lacking
Great Lakes
ASSOCIATE APPLIED (Former Employee) –  JacksonJuly 26, 2018
I would absolutely recommend this company if you are okay with being busy and sometimes a bit stressed. They pay very well and the company has lots to offer.
Pros
Organized, independence, salary
Cons
can get hectic, difficulty balance work and life
CNA/HHA (Current Employee) –  South Bend, INJuly 24, 2018
Great Lakes Caring is a great place to work, although they don’t always work with you when it comes to family emergencies and time off overall the company is great!
Stressful and changing
Physical therapist (Current Employee) –  South Bend, INJuly 19, 2018
When I started, it was clan culture and easy going. The culture made the stress of the job ok. The transition to hierarchy culture doesn't motivate you to want to help out. This seemed to start when the executives switched. It is necessary for the company to do this because they keep expanding like McDonald's. Our cars say "employees and patients are number 1." The actual job says "employees are line cooks and patients are burgers. " The mission statement, name, and slogan represent an idealistic standard that isn't real to what actually happens. Such a vast footprint requires streamlined policy and competent managers. I've watched this company chew up, light on fire, and send branch managers packing on their own free will. They fail to see we are working with people's lives, not slinging value meals. Being a nurse doesn't make you a manager, yet every manager has been a nurse with no real skills that I have seen. Meetings consist of money talk and patient planning. It's essential to budget and provide services and make money and innovate. I've never heard the word quality in a meeting. Scheduling with this company REQUIRES patience and a personality that hates organization. If you need to tell someone when you will be home, look elsewhere. Goals for productivity are not achievable. Overall if I have worked at worse places and my personality plays to this type of work. The company is going to keep growing and eliminating small start up home health company's and eventually learn they are too big for their own good. But line cooks are readily  more... available and the world is hungry. When we burn out, a new personal will fill our spot.  less
Pros
Helping patients in their homes, ability to provide quality patient care.
Cons
Management, scheduling, burn out, scheduling, you are a warm body with a license, no innovation, scheduling, life work balance, hypocrisy between mission and providing

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Great Lakes Caring. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score

2.7Personal Development

3.3Career Opportunities

3.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight