Great Lakes Cheese, Inc. Employee Reviews

Horrible Place
Line Attendent (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, WIJanuary 17, 2019
Don't Go As A Temp You'll Never Get Hired On. Lots Of Moldy Cheese Too. Overall My Experience There Was Very Horrible And Would Not Recommend To Anyone.
Unorganized..
Jack of All Trades (Current Employee) –  Manchester, TNDecember 8, 2018
There are some great people.
HR is unorganized they hire who you know status.
No shut down periods.
They claim to care about family .
Management is unorganized.
It is 8 hour shifts but cold.
No one is ever sure of what is going on.
Also a lot of wasting going on.
Pros
8 hours
Cons
Short breaks
Please See Commonality in Other Reviews
Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Plymouth, WIOctober 3, 2018
I've been at Great Lakes Cheese for about 3 years. To sum things up I would have to say the positive things about GLC is the weekly pay and fairly competitive pay. Now the reasons NOT to work here. YOUR SAFETY! Recently there was a tornado touch down in the area around the end of August. Instead of following the procedure for dangerous weather, we were advised to continue working through this, and simply not to go outside until after 5pm. We work in Plymouth, and Cascade is the area I believe the tornado touched down. We rely on our employer to keep us safe, and this was an utter failure. We did receive an apology from our plant manager during our next quarterly meeting, albeit weeks later. Scary to think these people are in charge of our safety. Next would be COMMUNICATION. There simply is none. Well, none regarding important stuff. We have a board for memos to employees that is checked daily. Here we hear more about cigarettes being tossed in the parking lot, parking lot expansion updates or whatever else our HR rep would like to scold us on. We've had some severe shortages of cheese coming into the plant for weeks, like mozzarella, monterey jack, colby and many others. The reason for this shortage was not communicated to us and we were only told when it was finally asked. An issue with a system update on corporates end that affected their ability to create orders or something along those lines. Not a WORD from corporate, or even a memo from HR or SOMEONE to fill us in on what was going on. This shortage caused a ripple effect, causing preventable overtime for many people.  more... Again, not worthy of a communication I guess from corporate. They tend to focus primarily on tenured associates and could really care less for new hires. We are short staffed severely in Warehouse on 2nd, causing 1st and 3rd to do weeks of overtime of 10-12 hour days and Saturdays. They seem to hire only 1 warehouse worker at a time, then they quit shortly after because they are tired of the antics. People that do work in warehouse consistently attempt to apply for other jobs, but are denied because they are short staffed. They look miserable but who cares when you aren't the one having to do overtime right? They told us in our last yearly meeting from corporate that they rely on us for referrals. All I can advise you is that as a new hire, they will only allow you 5 unpaid days your first year, then 8 paid vacation days and a few more after 3 years. Terrible when compared to other cheese plants. If you absolutely need a job and feel you can power through all this, apply here. I'd recommend reading other reviews and seeing the similarities prior to applying. Also, huge warning not to work on 3rd shift here. Most people are rude on third. Terribly rude. Its no wonder there are constant openings for 3rd.  less
Pros
Weekly Pay, Fairly Competitive Pay
Cons
Unsafe, Communication
Worked in Warehouse
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Manchester, TNJune 30, 2018
I worked in the warehouse the new manager is not very fair! A couple of the supervisor played favoritism to certain employees. They like to harass some people and let others get away with things. Only good thing about this place is the pay. That's why there is suck a high turnover rate. Very poor management!
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Management is very poor
enjoyable conditions and people
SHIPPING WAREHOUSE WORKER (Former Employee) –  Manchester, TNJune 6, 2018
in the warehouse, its cold. 28-30*F. they do supply bib overalls and coats. once you can deal with the cold, its smooth sailing. the 12 hour days are rewarded because if you work 3-12s then all you have is a 6 hour day. literally, you work 3 1/2 days and you are off 3 1/2 days.
Pros
employee stocks for retirement
Cons
short breaks
Productive, quick paced
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  Fillmore, UTMay 31, 2018
Good people to work with, productive , fast paced, good place to work. I like it cuz I have a set schedule. So I don’t have to worry what days I work and don’t. It’s evryday.
Pros
Free lunches, discount on cheese
Cons
Short breaks
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Manchester, TNMay 28, 2018
Good great place to work, great benefits 401k and e-sop and invested 25% of the company. Just needs improvement in management inside the warehouse and discrimination!
Decent pay/ okay benefits
Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Adams, NYApril 3, 2018
The pay is decent and the benefits are average. That is all the good things for great Lakes Cheese. They only way to advance is to be a pet to management. Seniority and skill at your job don’t account for much. It is a hot and humid work environment which is made worse by upper managements lack of respect for their employees. It’s a hostile environment as far as work place politics. In a pinch it is a good paycheck but don’t plan on staying long. That place will destroy you.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Everything else
Break room
Line Attendant (Former Employee) –  Wausau, WI 54403March 29, 2018
everything is easily accesed
learned to package cheese
to pay attention to teamates and work in snyc
standing for 8 hours
packaging the cheese
glasses are giving by the company
lab coats & gloves
Pros
break times
Cons
standing for your full shift
An OK place to work in the right department
Warehouse Worker (Current Employee) –  Cuba, NYMarch 4, 2018
Very tight working conditions sometimes dangerous. Decent pay for area. Profit sharing is a huge plus. No sick days and they have a very strict attendance policy.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Poor work environment questionable management
Waste of time
Bulk (Former Employee) –  Hiram, OHFebruary 8, 2018
I would not waste your time working here you’ll work harder than people who are hired in for 12.50 an hour while the hired in guys stand around and do very little for 19 an hour. There is no assurance if you’ll ever get hired in which could take up to a year.
Pros
You can waste your time
Cons
Horrible place
This is a thorough good paying hard working Job
Bulk cheese handler (Former Employee) –  Hiram, OHFebruary 5, 2018
The job at great lakes cheese was a professional, clean environment. With a lot of experienced hard working veteran employees. The only issue I had was the lack of depth I'm the material handlers. There was only one operator for 8 lines bringing in the cheese to put on the spring tables.
Good job
Cutter (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, WIJanuary 22, 2018
Good job with friendly people supervision is nice and fair. Work is fast paced. The hardest part of the job is that it is cold. The best part of the job is that you can do different jobs
Great place
Case Packer (Former Employee) –  Manchester, TNJanuary 18, 2018
Great place to work. So many job advancements for you. I love how they do 8 hour shifts and there is also room for overtime which is great around the holidays.
Extremely physically demanding
Line Operator (Current Employee) –  Hiram, OHJanuary 3, 2018
Haven't been working there long but it's a very professional place to work. Everyone knows their job and the best way to get it done. Depending on the department it can be very physically demanding and will quickly tire you out if your not mentally dedicated to hard work.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Stressful
productive
Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Manchester, TNNovember 29, 2017
produce at safe and highest quality.Perform PM routine maintenance. troubleshoot problem solving. run quality checks work closely with peers report incidents
Pros
great co workers
Cons
short breaks
Very good place to work
Bulk cheese handler (Former Employee) –  Hiram, OHAugust 31, 2017
They treated you very well there.good benefits,great people to work for.management was excellent never gave you a hard time with anything.days off weren't hard to get.strongly recommend working they.they also treat you like famliy.
fast paced cheese packaging
Line Attendant (Current Employee) –  Plymouth, WIAugust 21, 2017
Some days are better tha others. Fact paced cheese packaging plant.
It was my first job in food manufacturing plant. Learned about food processing and sanitation.
Nice place to work
Bullk handler (Former Employee) –  Hiram.ohio 44234August 20, 2017
It was a good place to work good pay and good benefits.It was a long drive to get there and it is cold in there and very clean in the bathroom nice people
Pros
No free lunch you got pad for your lunch.
Cons
You got two breaks
Keeps you busy, I would say it is a pretty fast-paced environment. When i worked there, there was no reason to worry about job security.
Warehouse Worker/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Wausau, WIJuly 17, 2017
When I was there it was a pretty friendly environment, but it could also be clicky too. Just follow rules, pay attention, and do you're job is for the most part what is expected of you. From what I remember pretty much everyone in a managerial position was pretty laid back, they would have conversations with any of the employees, joke around with you. Just don't give them a reason to be on their bad side, and you'll do just fine. There have been many times that I miss my job, and wish I was still there, it was kind of a disappointing separation, but it is what it is, and it was time to move on.
Pros
Very good pay, good benefits, good people, a lot of overtime, and job security.
Cons
Can be very fast paced, depending on your position there can be a very lot expected of you, at times overwhelming... and a lot of overtime.