Great Lakes Coca-Cola Employee Reviews

4.5/5 stars
Operations Intern (Former Employee) –  Niles, ILSeptember 11, 2018
Overall, a successful and exciting company to work for as an intern. Definitely a place I could see myself working at in the future due to my interest in the field and the prosperity of GLCC.
Pros
Room to advance in your career: mobility
Cons
Busier around holidays
This company only cares about how full their pockets are
Route Driver (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MISeptember 10, 2018
They've already closed multiple plants in Michigan and push current employees to pick up the mess they've created. Having 20 people to do the job of 40 people is a poor business model. If you come into this company now then you better expect to work 14-16 hour days and not have any hometime for pay that isn't even close to what you could make driving somewhere else.
Pros
Cons
everything
Full Service/Merchandiser Driver (Former Employee) –  Wrightstown, WISeptember 10, 2018
Too much time away from home
too many hours required to work
poor communication
lack of quality equipment
poor training for new employees
wouldn't recommend this company
General Laborer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL 60651August 13, 2018
Management was great, but if you are part time they keep you at part time and they do not give you full time even after a year with never being late or absent.
Good job for those who like to work.
Driver Assistant / Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Eagan, MNAugust 12, 2018
As a merchandiser or a CDL driver you will be working with between 15,000-20,000 pounds of product at the least. A lot of repetitive motions between bending, stacking, and shelving. Forced overtime and a lot of it. You can up to $100,000 a year and work 60-70 hour weeks, or you can get paid as little as 50,000 but only work 45 hours a week. Its really up to you. Great benefits.
Pros
good pay, great benefits
Cons
Injuries. Lots of them. Have fun walking by 70
Good old boy network at its finest
Manager (Former Employee) –  IllinoisAugust 8, 2018
I never really saw an atmosphere of inclusion. They made attempts to "look like" they fostered inclusion, but in reality on a day to day basis you knew you were not what they wanted on their team. I learned that if "JS" didn't like you, you were screwed because he had major influence with the executive team. Management would walk by you and not speak, made you feel invisible. The hardest part of the job was being motivated to work there. The most enjoyable part of the job was representing the Coca-Cola brand.
Pros
The Coca-Cola brand
Cons
A culture that was not inclusive
Not a place to work long term
First person (Current Employee) –  Bay City, MIAugust 6, 2018
They are eager to replace anyone at a moments notice.
Be prepared to work the job of more than one person.
When someone gets let go, they do not replace them, they just add the workload to another employee.
Pros
Cons
Over worked, unhappy employees.
Work place with the tunnel vision of limitless profit margin.
company driver (Current Employee) –  Eagan, MNAugust 5, 2018
A typical morning starts at about 5 a.m as the routes are handed out.The trucks are loaded with between 400 to 600 cases of Coca-cola products to be delivered to customers.I know the expectations of management is to see new drivers pick up their work pace fast enough within weeks of starting.Drivers believe that the least time they spend in a store the better the day.The hardest task on the job was to find the location.The most enjoyable part of the job was the ride in the,iconic bright red,Coca-cola truck.
Pros
You get all your overtime pay.
Cons
Daily routing has incompetence written all over it.
tough work and long days
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Saint Charles, ILAugust 2, 2018
Work from 0600 until you're done. Can be told to go anywhere at any time while clocked in. Work is hard on your whole body. No real team mentality. hardest part is motivating yourself to get through the day. best part is clocking out for the day. management isn't bad, it's the CEO/ profit-driving mentality that adds to the workload/ workday.
Pros
15.99ph, work alone, number one beverage company
Cons
body aches, pain, no down time, long hours, seniority rights (sucks for the new employee)
Very busy
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 25, 2018
Takes a toll on your body and no sick days Management want's you to work over and beyond but is not compensated. The Weekly pay and benefits are the best part of the job
Pros
Working in the field
Cons
Breaks your body down job very physical
Productive yet stressful
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Flint, MIJuly 17, 2018
I learned that the working world can be a very hostile place. I've met many great people over the couple years. My supervisor in the beginning was amazing. They kept things organized but most importantly they cared about the people working under them. However, they gave little care whether you had a life to begin with. Workplace culture was very competitive. Just about everyone worked on the principle of he said/she said. No one took responsibility for anything and would lead to rude questioning of just about anyone. It is not uncommon to be blamed for things other coworkers or people not related to the job have done. This is mainly due to there being no micro-management. No one looking over your shoulder all the time. Which is a very nice perk for some. The downside is it lead to coworkers and management passing blame and creating scapegoats as well as work ethic not being truthful for every worker. On a typical day, it is expected you may have overtime. Unless the job is done it doesn't matter when your scheduled out. That includes waiting on deliveries you have no control over. Salaries are good with overtime added. Monthly meetings are held that have food every now and then. Benefits are good, but there are no sick days. Everything is taken out of PTO, so if you're sick then you're not going on vacation. Else you're working while sick. Some supplies are provided for you such as uniforms, cutters, and gloves.
Pros
Occasional cook-outs, presents during the holiday, competitive pay
Cons
Short breaks, competitive workplace, drama ridden
At the end of the day we were successful
Operation Manager (Current Employee) –  Van Buren, MIJuly 11, 2018
The improvement of morale and dedication that you get from your employees speaks volume. Best part is the growth and development you get daily. Hard work pays off.
The respect you get from other Market Units. Asking you on your process improvements. Speaks volume on what you are capable of doing.
The growth from a supervisor to manager.
Open door policy. This is by far the best improvement I've made since working in the business.
Pros
Wearing the brand name
Cons
Senior leadership decision
Very demanding only cares about the bottom line
Account Manager/Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  MichiganJune 22, 2018
Cut monthly car allowances, cut sales positions, increased the work load on the other sales representatives, but didnt increase the pay. Salaried employees pay is based on 80 hrs biweekly, but you really work about 90-95 hours. Most of the district managers are clueless to what's going on. Account managers handle the brunt of the work load. But the district manager always takes the credit for all accomplishments.
Pros
Cons
Could care less about employees
Great Company
Finance (Current Employee) –  Niles, ILJune 9, 2018
Good company that is growing rapidly. Management is nice and helpful as well as my coworkers.Really good benefits and working environment. Glad to be a part of this company.
Fast paced place to work
Order Builder (Former Employee) –  La Crosse, WIJune 9, 2018
It was hard work but also rewarding. Constantly moving but never boring. The other employees were all great to work with and helpful. It really was a team atmosphere.
Don’t waste your time
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Van Buren, MIJune 6, 2018
It’s sad to see such a strong company take a turn for the worst. Since Reyes has taken over nothing matters other than making the company and only the company more money.
Benefits, pay, allowances and positions have all been cut and it doesn’t appear they’ll be stopping anytime soon.

The only thing holding this company together is the iconic brands in Coca Colas portfolio. If a smaller company had half the issues Great Lakes does they’d be out of business overnight.

All the current employees can do is sit back while these guys burn one of the worlds best known brands to the ground.
Pros
Great Brand
Cons
Culture is toxic
Used to be good
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMay 16, 2018
Worked as an account manager, used to be fun and they put employees as their number 1 asset...then Great Lakes bought it. Huge cultural change. I found a new job.
When Great Lakes Coca-Cola used to be CCE Coca-Cola that was a good company to work for!!!!
Transport Driver Interplant driver (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIMay 12, 2018
I was a transportation driver pretty much what that is a driver that comes out of production where the product was made and make deliveries to the distribution. Hooking of tractor to trailers pre trip and post trip backing into docks. Driving safely to place to place and getting the product there standing up and the semi there in one piece.

This job helped me prepare for my new job. When you are a delivery driver for Coca-Cola making deliveries to gas station party stores chain stores. No offense you think your in the bubble. You think you are a real trucker. Hate to say it your not you are but not. What I did was nothing what the over the road driver go thru but being a transportation made me a better driver and help me set up for my future. The boss most of them were great man and women but you have your few. If your not willing to play there game then you didn't get the special treatment I call it. I do miss some of my employees and boss but not the games playing.

The hardest part of the job for me was the games being played. Watching work get taken away from us because of other employees. Not sticking together but when the higher guys are getting there extra work don't rock the boat but once they lose that extra work. We all need to stick together. For me that was the hardest part of the job. I hate games. if you do your job and if everyone did there job none of this would happen and stop worrying about other people things would work great.

What I enjoyed most there was driving the semi the freedom of being out there and being my own boss. the friendship I made
  more... being there for 22 years.

The Coca-Cola that once was I would tell everyone to work there you could move up in the company. You get in there part time and move up to a position that you could make a living at and start a family. That is gone. The new Great Lakes Coca-Cola all there care about is the bottom line. If they can bring it from Alaska and they will save themselves a dollar they will do it. They don't care about the people they laid in that city where they are bring the product but you can bring all you want but when no one has a job then no one can buy the product.
Pros
Vending machines for pop is cheap
Cons
everything that has been taken to keep things so you have a better now those are all gone too
An okay company, not all that great of a job
Account Manager Relief (Current Employee) –  MidwestMay 3, 2018
The company itself seems to be going places and I have much respect for. I had more issues with mid-level management, however, and the work load was excessive most of the time. Depending on where you are, 50-60 hours a week on non-holiday weeks was average for me, and from what I heard I wasn't the only one enduring that. On top of this, time was necessary outside of work to plan ahead for the next week/s, and answer calls or emails from store managers or merchandisers if issues arose. For what I was getting paid, it wasn't all that great a deal.

I learned a lot with sales and large scale business, which I'm grateful for. They may improve in the future, it's not a good enough work/life balance for me right now.
Pros
Sales training, benefits
Cons
Work load
High paced work environment
Field Services Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Highland Park, MIApril 25, 2018
High paced environment. best party to see the different places we place Coke in-stores and restaurants and customers being happy
union environment made holding employees accountable difficult
Pros
.50 coke at plant
Cons
union, mgmt

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Great Lakes Coca-Cola. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7