Great Lakes Dredge & Dock Employee Reviews

Loved my job
Shore man/operator (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAAugust 13, 2018
I absolutely enjoyed working for this company very fair and everyone from upper management to shore man are very safe and for the most part responsible.
Hard to balance home life
USCG Assistant Engineer (Current Employee) –  Oak Brook, ILJune 27, 2018
You are never home due to the nature of the job. Great lakes is an ok place to work. There are no incentives to do more than you should or not much room for advancement. If you put in the time you advance no skill level required. It is an ok job to support your family but don't expect anything more than that. If you can work for another company I would suggest you do so. If its your only option then do it.
Pros
Ok pay
Cons
No advancement or incentive to do better
Great Job for the Young
Engineer (Current Employee) –  VariesMay 29, 2018
Coming out of college this is a great job if you want to travel and see alot of different places. Not the best job for those who have a family and wish to balance family and work. Corporate management is a little too micromanaging. Benefits (401K, health insurance) is really good.

Best part of the job: Chance to see alot of places and travel the country. Because you have one week off at a time, it allows you to see even more places during time off. Every job is different in it's own way so the job does not get routine.

Worst part of the job: Depending on the project, hours can be very long and your work can sometimes feel underappreciated. Corporate office can at times feel like they are micromanaging.
Stressful place/good for travel
Site Engineer (Current Employee) –  North East, USAMay 18, 2018
In my opinion, company management is done very poorly. I would not want to work there for more than 2+ years. It is fun, especially for recent college graduates because one gets to travel around using the 2&1 rotation. In that week off, a lot can be done. Otherwise, work culture and management makes working for GLDD a bit miserable. Most people get tired of the field at some point. Office GLDD employees in Oak Brook might feel differently about this.
Pros
Travel, airline/hotel/rental car points
Cons
Long hours, poor management
Good Company
Booster pump operator/ Watch man (Former Employee) –  middle east divisionApril 17, 2018
Great Lakes Dredge & Dock is a company where I work for almost 8 years and i can say that it is a good company.
In here I developed more my skills regarding my work.
The management is always on look to safety of the workers., there are trainings for all, that makes a place secured and safe.
In the accomodation, there is always a place where we can exercise and a place where we can still play sports like basketball.
The hardest part of the job is when there is no project that we need to wait for another contract.

I am always looking for to work again in the company.
Pros
Free accommodation and have provision
Cons
standby during no project
A Lot of Travel
Assistant Project Engineer (Current Employee) –  Oak Brook, ILMarch 9, 2018
Day is filled with survey and engineering tasks. Rotation is 14 days on site and 7 days off. Travel is mandatory and paid for by company. Locations vary from west, gulf, and east coast. Opportunities to travel overseas.
Good first job with lots of travel
engineer (Former Employee) –  fieldFebruary 19, 2018
GLDD is a great first job out of college. While some make it their career, most will leave after a few years. It allows you to build great experience by working in many different locations but being away from home can get tiring. At times it feels like hard work goes unnoticed and promotions can seem more like being in the right place at the right time rather than merit based.

Rotational work is not for everyone and can make personal and family life challenging.
Pros
Lots of location experience
Cons
Away from home
Great Company but extremely difficult schedule
Site Administrator (Current Employee) –  Eastern Seaboard Various LocationsJanuary 7, 2018
Great Company and industry, but impossible to live a regular life with working two thirds of the year on the road. I would only recommend this company to someone who is willing to do this for their entire career because there are no other options with the company.
Pros
You get to see and live in many different places.
Cons
Away from friends/family.
Job security
Oiler (Current Employee) –  Morgan City, LAOctober 31, 2017
Decent workplace not much chance for career advancement.The company is rather large and by the job being based on production you're just another number.
Pros
Great food
Cons
Tremendous pressure to keep the operation going
It was an physically demanding.
Deckhand (Former Employee) –  Oak Brook, ILOctober 2, 2017
The job was working outside along with other crew members. We worked on vessels sailing up and down U.S. Rivers, Lakes and the Gulf of Mexico. The supervisors were good people to work for. The culture was centered around the maritime industry. The job was physically demanding but the pay and benefits were good.
Great Lakes Review
Beach Security (Former Employee) –  Long Beach Island, NJSeptember 28, 2017
I had to come in at 6pm when I got to the job site a-recently they were being sued by a previous security personal. So the company released that beach security can not be an active workforce to the construction and could only sit and look around for security breaches.
Interesting Job
Office Manager/Human Resources Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 14, 2017
There was great upheaval and chaos during the time I worked for this company. Overall the job itself was not bad, and I believe that a lot of the culture of the job has settled now.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Chaotic work environment
Decent
Dredge Operator (Former Employee) –  Ruskin, FLAugust 28, 2017
My time at GLDD wasn't bad. Everyone had their pros and cons. My pro was the pay,my con was the dredge sank. But overall a good place to work if you ask me.
Pros
Pay
Working rotations
Site Safety and Health Officer (Current Employee) –  Oak Brook, ILAugust 3, 2017
Working two weeks on and one week off, is hard on family life, and the pay to how many hours work ratio is not that good. Raises should be based on our performance, not how much the company makes.
Pros
Love helping people, love teaching
Cons
not home every night, rough family life
Good first job, pay is alright, long hours
Site Engineer (Former Employee) –  NY, FL, NJJuly 18, 2017
Pros:
-Laid back atmosphere most of the time
-Pay is enough to keep you interested in staying
-2 and 1 schedule is nice
-Work in some interesting places (not Staten Island though)

Cons:
-Long hours
-Poor communication from management
-Training is hit or miss. Most management was poorly trained and it trickles down to the new engineers.
Good company
Site administrator and Site Manager (Former Employee) –  IllinoisJuly 10, 2017
Being single and able to travel to almost anywhere. Lots of hours and always away hard to have a family. Great experience and fun. Got to meet a lot of new people from all over the world. Sometimes the work load was a more than one person could handle.
Good first job out of college. Not a career job/company.
Project Engineer (Current Employee) –  United StatesJune 11, 2017
Site Engineer/ Project Engineer. Great company to start out after college and are looking to travel and have good time. Advancement comes pretty quickly if you do a good job. Not the best place stay if you are looking to advance your career out side of Dredging. Pay is well compensated, but you will put in a high amount of work hours. Turn over rate is pretty high in the field engineering department.
Great working environment,able to learn a lot
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Oak Brook, ILApril 28, 2017
Great Lakes is an enviomental, construction company. There priority is safty for there employes. They are a high production based company that puts there people first.Management is very noledgeable and great to work for.
Pros
They put people and safty first
Cons
Job did not last long enough
Limited opportunity for advancement
Yardman (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAMarch 27, 2017
The yardmen are asked to do so much with such little compensation. They don't allow sick or vacation days. Overtime has become little to none and its almost impossible to advance.
Pros
Much experience
Cons
Not paid fairly for skills
productive workplace through safety and haerd work
Asst. Chief Engineer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 12, 2017
12 hour day started at 6:00am - safety meeting to discuss days agenda and talk about ways to do the work safely. in engine room checking on computer system to make sure all engines,electriical,
and days work orders were completed. ordered all parts to keep dredge running.worked on all repair orders and maintenance orders.
I,ve learned that if al lmaintenance was done periodicly that most everything ran right. safety was really part of the work place culture.
the hardest part of the job was time away from home. I lived aboard for two weeks to 6 weeks at a time 12 to 16 hour days. but at the end of the day to see that everything was running smoothly and safely was great!
Pros
safety program, on job training
Cons
time away from home