Great Lakes Wine and Spirits Employee Reviews

Extremely stressful.
Delivery Driver/Warehouse (Former Employee) –  Saginaw, MIAugust 5, 2018
Unrealistic goals and route expectations. You get paid a set wage for an 8 hour day but you are working 12 plus hours a day sometimes, and no overtime because of the set wage. Do not waste your time. Very high turnover.
Don’t waste your time
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Saginaw, MIApril 13, 2018
The other drivers were awesome but poor management, lack of training and below average wages make this a place to pass up as a driver. It might have been tolerable if the wages were better, a decent wage make up for most things.
Pros
You’ll get back in shape
Cons
Long back breaking hours for poverty wages. Union job. Poor management
Not a competitive wage!
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  MichiganMarch 28, 2018
Route should easily pay 200 a day but pays 120 no matter how long it takes. Seems like nonsense that guys moving other types of freight are making 100 more a day on an hourly pay system. This company needs to get out of the stone age and pay 18-24 an hr like the rest of the industry.
Pros
Cons
Back breaking labor
Fun Productive enviroment
Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Highland Park, MIFebruary 12, 2018
This is a fun but challenging career. You go out with a positive attitude and it will show in your performance.You make sure your productivity is up and management will let you know. Management is not afraid to tell you your doing a good job, unlike some companies.
Pros
Great to get out and see people
Cons
Nothing negative
Good job to start out if interested in line of work
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MIFebruary 8, 2018
Good place to start with this line of work before searching something similar or better work, great people to work with friendly to work with but company doesn't seem to want anyone who is part time to advance to full time that's why this job would be good for anyone who wants to try this line of work
Good stepping stone great benefits
Hi-Lo Driver (Former Employee) –  Highland Park, MIDecember 1, 2017
Would recommend Great Lakes Wines & Spirits to someone who has a family for the purpose of benefits & 401K . Also as stepping stone until you reach a desired goal or succeed in Education or Trade
Pros
Great Benefits, 401K, Union
Cons
Pay Rate stagnant, Poor management employee relationships No access to Human Resources
warehouse worker
Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) –  Highland Park, MISeptember 9, 2017
This job has helped me advance as working as a team. It has allowed me to work with different individuals, older and younger, and i have learned from both.
Fun Workplace
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Highland Park, MIJune 20, 2017
Excellent Place for longevity. Free spirited atmosphere...
Good Quality Wine... I like the Fact that they give to cherities. Drivers help one another. Never too much pressure.
Pros
Bonuses
Cons
Miscommunication
Great place
Warehouseman (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIMarch 18, 2017
Great Lakes is a easy company to work for. The work is easy and the money is very dependable. There is always work which brings overtime and lots of money.
A huge corporate disconnect
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Highland Park, MISeptember 23, 2016
This was my first job out of college. I took my job seriously and learned a bunch of the ins and outs of selling wine. I was there for a year and a half, and was one of the top sales reps in the company. There was certainly a very large disconnect between the sales force and management. The hours were crazy to say the least, as the average week was probably 55 hours. They gave you incentives and bonuses that made everything SEEM worthwhile, however, if you did the math with how many hours you work (especially during the holidays), you definitely don't make as much money as you think you are. Also, the work week was Sunday through Thursday and more often than not Fridays (if your territory was high output like mine)
Pros
some free wine every once in a while
Cons
no life.
A lot was expected...
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Genesee County, MINovember 11, 2015
A typical day at work at GLWS was usually up by 5 a.m in my personal vehicle at 5:30 a.m and on my way to my first account. I would have to merchandise anywhere from 5 stores to 10 a day. I learned a lot about the science of product placement and how simple changes in shelf height, product location, and pricing schemes could drastically affect the quantitative movement of a product. My management was nearly non-existent. This job was a self-managing job, you were responsible for you own time management, your own mileage logging, checking in with salesman, delivery drivers, and management at the retail stores you were located at. Co-workers were also nearly non-existent, you would rarely cross paths with any of the other merchandisers. Rarely would you meet up with the salesman of the location you were currently merchandising but even then it was only to quickly communicate things about product placement or where to put a display up or how to manage product overflow. The hardest part of the job was working by yourself everyday, the most enjoyable part of the job was the sense of accomplishment you got within yourself when you could look at an entire wine section that had been fully stocked, faced, rotated, and dusted by your hands.
Daily Activity
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Highland Park, MIMarch 17, 2015
• Developed an in store display to enhance the sale of specific liquor brands.
• Cataloged all of the company’s liquor brands in the store to make it easier to order product from the shelves.
• Completed all weekly and monthly tasks such as making it to all my stores, and more if needed.
• Assisted co-workers when they needed help picking up and delivering orders to the customers.
its an ok job
Warehouse Worker (Current Employee) –  Highland Park, MINovember 1, 2014
not enough benefits for people with families. the hours are to extensive to be labled mandatory with an high turnover rate.
Pros
garanteed over 40 hrs weekly
Cons
theres not a set time limit for your shift
Production selling new items.
ACCOUNT MANAGER, OFF & ON PREMISE WEST MICHIGAN (Current Employee) –  Highland Park, MIAugust 22, 2014
On a typical day of work I usually have new producs to sell everytime I see my customers. I always do research and any advantage my products may have over competitive products. My inventory management comes in to play with placing my products in he best postition on the shelf. For customers to choose from. Hardest part of the job is having great products but being priced wrong. My most enjoyable part of my job is seeing my customers, being sucessful, and having a win- win situation in sales.
Pros
Customer interaction
Cons
Long meetings
Typical warehouse workplace cultural environment.
order retriever/ loading dock (Former Employee) –  Highland Park MiJuly 13, 2014
Working in a warehouse was not something I had in mind for my working career. The job culture just didn't suit my personality much. My passion is to work with others to achieve something of notable importance. I'm now in search of a career that correlates well with both my personality and passion.
Pros
healthcare benefits, three week paid vacations
Cons
poor management
Great book, focus on off-premise/chains
Great Lakes Wine & Spirits Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Highland Park, MIApril 13, 2014
Company product of a merger and subsequent acquisitions. Customer service focus compromised
Pros
flexibility
Cons
micromanagement
Top Down - Micro Manged
Productivity Improvement Manager (Former Employee) –  Highland Park, MIMarch 18, 2014
Hardest part working with upper management
best part working with peers to get things accomplished and be productive.