Great Plains SPCA

Great Plains SPCA Employee Reviews

United States37 reviews
I would rate them very high---fun to work at and enjoyable. The people are enjoyable and like-minded. We trade off helping each other out when things get busy or someone needs a break. If anything, I would prefer more hours and, of course, to be paid.
Great Plains has easily been my favorite job! Everyone there is for the same reason, helping the animals, and is supportive and willing to help however they can. They work with you as much as possible when it comes to scheduling and truly Care about the well being of both the animals and people that walk through the doors.
When you support Great Plains SPCA you are positively impacting the lives of shelter pets. Whether you volunteer, donate, or foster, you are giving homeless pets a second chance in life. The quality of care for every dog and cat that enters the shelter is the best I have ever seen. I highly recommend supporting Great Plains SPCA!
I have a tangible impact on the lives of animals and people, learn so much every day and work with a group of people who are more kind, caring, helpful, reliable, professional, smart, creative, funny and enjoyable than any I have ever met.
Pros
Working with animals every day!
I have been with GPSPCA for over 2 years and am SO IMPRESSED with the culture here. New ideas are encouraged, mistakes are opportunities to grow, and everyone is committed to the mission of the organization. The welfare of animals truly comes first and staff are empowered to always advocate for the animals. It is easily the most rewarding, supportive, and fun job I have every had.
The starting pay for front-line workers, while not high, is higher than any shelter in the area and includes competitive health and PTO benefits. GPSPCA does annual performance based raises as well as cost of living.
Would you recommend working at your company?
Help people considering your employer make a good choice.
I truly cannot say enough wonderful things about Great Plains SPCA and their mission to save and advocate for animals in need. The CEO, Tam Singer, is one of the most caring and compassionate people that I've ever hard the pleasure of knowing. She is incredibly hardworking and has the an adorable British accent. The management team work well together and we have a really good group of well-trained employees that adore the animals. Did I mention you get to work with animals? Yeah, that's right, you get to play with animals. I've had the pleasure of working at many different shelters in the KC area and this is by far my favorite shelter. They go above and beyond in the care they provide for the animals medically and behaviorally. I highly recommend this place for animal lovers.
Great Plains SPCA goes above and beyond as advocates for pets in our community. Through Outreach, spay and neuter services to getting help for food assistance, Great Plains SPCA makes a difference. I loved going to work and the people i worked with.
This company has seen many changes over the years, changes that were needed. Where they are today is incredible and have come a long ways from the beginning. The culture and environment is very positive and encouraging. You will see smiling faces even on our worst days because we all love what we do and we are passionate about the animals. The managers have all come together and built up a safe environment where everyone has opportunities to learn and grow and your voice is heard. You will see the CEO throughout your work day, walking dogs, engaging with customers and staff. She is such a delight and this is not common for many businesses. If you are looking for a fast paced, passionate, safe, caring, and friendly environment where they 100% reflect their mission. check out Great Plains SPCA.
Some of the most compassionate people you will ever work with. Good pay rate for a non-profit. Healthy work culture. Work/life balance is difficult in every rescue job, so this is not really a fault of Great Plains. They have a very high live release rate, and awesome behavioral staff. They give every animal a chance and treat their employees well.
Paid terribly for the amount of experience I had and amount of work you're expected to do. Almost no flexibility. Dangerous dogs are kept for adoption and continually injure staff. Management disciplined staff as a group once, yelling and blaming everyone, etc. No opportunity to apply previous knowledge and expertise because we werent allowed to handle scared dogs, only behavior team can do that and they make all the decisions. Didnt listen when dangerous behavior was brought to their attention. Terrible place to work, which sucks because I loved shelter work. Stay far away - try a different shelter.
Easy work loads and flexible times. You do not have to worry about not having a lot to do there once you start.

They are willing to help you out when you are having difficulty and are very considerate.
I really enjoyed the actual work. The day to day was great, my immediate team was fantastic. Then we got a new manager and it all went to pot. Upper management didn't seem to care that she was terrible either. She would tell you one thing then do another, no support at all, and would not listen. She was also over emotional and would snap or completely shut you out for no reason. Main reason I quit and I honestly put up with a lot of terrible management before her.
You think this organization cares about the animals more than $$$. But that is far from the truth. You can work here for years and not see a penny of a pay wage.
You also get to work ALL the holidays, even Christmas Day.

It doesn't matter how big of a heart you have, they just want someone to do the dirty work.

All in all, HUGE turnover rate, wonderful animals, great volunteers, horrid management & the CEOs sit in a soft chair all day not even caring to make their staff happy. Their job is to keep a pretty face for their Donators who have no idea what really goes on here.

Disappointing.

OH and if the CEOs ever get food sponsored for the staff, they only get vegan items, yet they are the only vegans.
Pros
Puppy kisses!
Cons
Rude management, no raises or advancement, secrets, empty promises, huge turnover, UNkindness, disrespect, too much drama.
I was hired and thirty days later I was given a two week notice to find another job. Not only me, but the entire Veterinary Care Center. The reason they gave was for gross mismanagement of funds by the board of directors. They have gone through multiple board members and leaders, the main person had NO IDEA what it takes to truly care for animals in need. DO NOT RECOMMEND UNTIL A SERIOUS CHANGE OF LEADERSHIP
Pros
discounts, team environment
Cons
management/board of directors, unstable, inconsiderate
Everyone is very positive and sweet. You can find what you want to do. You can clean, do laundry, or even just pet animals. I highly recommend working or volunteering here.
If you love working with animals and want to literally help save lives then Great Plains SPCA is a wonderful place to work. Unfortunately you have to deal with less than stellar management, corporate BS, pointless meetings, busybody volunteers, low pay, no 401k, no CE, long hours, and awful shelter management software (Companion Protect is the worst).
Pros
The animals
Cons
The people
Great Plains SPCA is a relaxing environment. Working with the animals is very calming and entertaining. Great Plains teaches communication and teamwork skills.
The public Veterinary Care Center is amazing with an amazing staff that is knowledgeable and truly cares for the animals that receive services there. Definitely recommend taking your pet here for services.
Pros
constant contact with animals
Cons
stress, benefits
Sadly, I didn't have a good experience working at Great Plains SPCA. Overall, the poor salary and lack of advancement forced me and a few others to call it quits. The benefits are poor and there is little employee appreciation.
Make a difference in the world! Feels great to work for the community.the dogs make it all worth while. Most dogs just need someone to take time with them.
If you expect this job to be fun and play with dogs all day, youre poorly mistaken. Although the animals make it easier, the volunteers and management make it hard to love the place. The volunteers are what hold your job in their hands.. Unfortunately. Seems stupid right? they are just volunteering once in a while, and youre there everyday to make the place run.. When they complain to the management, dont expect whoever to take your side in the matter. Even if you need the paycheck to survive.. Those nasty volunteers only care. although you do too, if you work with animals. But their word hold more meaning around that place than you do.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Great Plains SPCA. Our community is ready to answer.
2.9
Ratings from women
2.4
InHerSight Score
1.8Personal Development
3.3Career Opportunities
2.4Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight