Great Southern Bank Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Nothing about working for this bank is positive.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Edina, MNJuly 15, 2018
Great Southern bank is in no way concerned about its employee's well being.
Management tents to not recocnize how hard the employees work, and always expect more, yet never reward your efforts.
They are always short staffed and can not keep employees for any length of time.
There is a great deal of stress on a daily basis, and often feels like a hostile work environment.
Upper management seems to care more about making a profit than it does it's customers or employees.
Very professional, easy going workplace
Switchboard Operator (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOJune 10, 2018
The switchboard position was a perfect fit for me in that it had multiple things to do but wasn't stressful. The position was eliminated and I was then hired in CIF doing what they labeled "scrub". It was basically examining the classification of each account and making sure it was classified correctly. It wasn't a great fit for me in the sense that it became mundane and there wasn't interaction with very many people. The management was great in the sense that if I had questions they were open to answering them, but to stare at a computer screen for the whole shift without any change up was probably the most difficult for me and my personality. It ended up not being challenging enough or suitable for me and my outgoing personality.
Pros
Great management, decent benefits
Cons
Mundane work
easy going with great coworkers
TELLER (Current Employee) –  Lebanon, MOJune 4, 2018
This is a great job, especially for a starter job in the bank industry. They take very good care of you, and the coworkers and very professional and considerate. When the job gets stressful your coworkers are right there working with you to provide the best customer service for every individual. I love my job at Great Southern Bank. My manager is also one of the best managers I have ever had. Lastly, they work extremely well with your personal schedule.
Pros
great coworkers, positive atmosphere, many insurance options, works well with schedule
Cons
can be stressful at times, very precise procedures
Great Part Time Job
Bank Teller (Former Employee) –  Valley Park, MOMay 20, 2018
Great place to work part time. Pay is fair and the people are very nice. It's a pretty slow paced environment and the dress code is very lenient for a bank.
Relaxed
Teller (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEMay 8, 2018
Very relaxed place to work, I loved dressing up and seeing the many people who came in and getting to know them and learn about their lives. Bank managers treated me very well
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
sometimes it was slow
Bank Teller
CONSUMER LOAN CLERK (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOApril 9, 2018
Responsible for balancing cash drawer and vault
Sold bank products and services to new clients
Helped customers solve account issues
Money Handling
Opening new accounts
fast pace environment, respectful staff
Personal Banker/Lead (Former Employee) –  Ankeny, IAFebruary 15, 2018
very nice company to work for, enjoyed working with the staff, got all training i needed and more. family oriented company, knows all of their customers.
mixed bag of nuts so to speak
Bank Teller/Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOFebruary 12, 2018
for the amount of work and stresses that go along with this job, you do not get paid enough. since you handle their money, customers will start yelling at you for no reason if something happens that they don;t like. the managers are pretty nice and are willing to help you with any problem you may have.
Very good benefits
TELLER (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOFebruary 4, 2018
401K, Vacation days, really good interest rates for employees. This company has lot of perks and benefits. Love working for them. I would recommend this company to anyone.
Pros
Friendly environment, perks and benefits
Cons
Fast pase environment
Great First Full-Time Job
Interactive Video Teller (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOFebruary 3, 2018
I loved how spacious and private my work area was. It was very clean in the building. I recommend this as a first full-time job for anyone wanting that kind of experience.
Pros
Break Room, Encouraging Leadership, Entry-Level Banking
Cons
Low Pay, Fairly Difficult to Advance
Toxic Workplace Environment with Some Good People
Teller (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOFebruary 1, 2018
Great Southern Bank, like many large banks, seems to be looking for warm, cheap bodies to take the blame in front of customers while providing basic financial services that are more accessible at other institutions. The pay does not come close to reflecting job responsibilities and corporate oversight is very intrusive and out-of-touch. Tellers often take blame for things that are widespread corporate issues and their concerns are seen as insubordination. Many customers questioned where previous employees had gone as a total of five employees left within six months. I called in sick on one occasion because I was unexpectedly hospitalized and was reprimanded for doing so. Little training is provided on more complex transactions and success in customer relations and accuracy is not rewarded appropriately. The company would rather bring in someone off the street for 50 cents less than give a dedicated teller with a family a raise. Raises were less than 20 cents after six months and actual rewards are substituted by children's toys. Management complains about low retention rates, but does not acknowledge the causes. Businesses like this make people hate capitalism. If you are someone who will just follow irrational orders that serve the interest of out-of-touch and already wealthy people while being treated with little dignity, work here. You might meet a few people that make the experience bearable.
Pros
Schedule flexibility?
Cons
Poor pay, lack of mobility, high turnover, poor training
Unless you are related to or married to someone in upper Mgmt - don’t expect advancement
Information Services (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOJanuary 25, 2018
Company management structure is plagued with nepotism; very poor and uneducated leadership. Little respect for employees, and almost zero recognition for accomplishments. One of the worst corporate environments I have ever worked in.
Pros
Weekends off
Cons
Corporate Culture
Great co-workers
Hiring Specialist (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MOJanuary 18, 2018
This company has a great environment with some awesome co-workers. However, they simply do not pay enough and have huge pay gaps between top line managers and their direct line underneath them.
Average
Banking Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOJanuary 15, 2018
A typical day at work consisted of pushing products to customers that we mostly saw on a regular day to day basis. We were literally measured on how well we got people to get other products. Sometimes it was beneficial sometimes not. My manager was a fairly good one though, she was understanding in most ways. She was however very passive aggressive with dealing with issues. Instead of going directly to the employee who made a mistake she would send a blanket email to the whole banking center outlining what happened. Getting promoted or raises were nearly impossible. At max they are allowed to give you a raise of 2% and that's if you are doing extremely well at your job. They are absolutely not understanding if you are part time. God forbid if you have another job or are a college student, they will not work with you. There is a major break down between corporate and the actual banking centers. Honestly if you would call in to ask a question you would get a different answer from every person you spoke with. A lot of broken equipment as well. When it came to the printer/scanner, computers, fax machine, or phones you had better pray because without fail they were not working around half the time. Their training was nice though, I learned so much about the banking world. They would take the time to explain how things worked and why certain laws are the way they are which was very nice for me personally. The hardest part of the job was probably dealing with your coworkers to be honest which is sad. That may just be because of where I was located though so don't let that be your deciding  more... factor. The most enjoyable part was probably when we actually helped customers. There were several instances where we were able to help people with loans where no other bank would touch them.

So in short management is only concerned with meeting goal and getting their incentive, not with their employees. Your corporate backroom looses everything you send them and never know the answers to your questions. Your coworkers can be extremely rude and hard to work with. Your customers can be the best part of your day. If your full time they love you, if your part time they treat you poorly. Its a nice pass through job but I would definitely not make it your career choice.
Pros
jeans days about twice a month
Cons
so much
Productive environment. Fun workplace.
Personal Banker Assistant (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOJanuary 11, 2018
Great Southern does allow more opportunities to advance in your career. They have great incentives that counteract the lower pay. The management can be micro managing but it makes for an organized and productive workplace. They provide float tellers allowing coverage at banking centers when needed.
Pros
Incentives. Fun workplace. Relaxed environment.
Cons
Low in pay.
Lacks competitive pay
Vault Teller (Former Employee) –  Aurora, MOJanuary 7, 2018
Expect to never get off at scheduled time, poor attitudes, does not offer competitive pay or compensate you for taking on job duties and roles that other banks compensate for.
I absolutely LOVED my job at the bank. We had fun everyday, but we were still very professional. We all, as in co-workers got along great!
Teller (Former Employee) –  Branson, MOJanuary 5, 2018
A typical day at work at the bank. I would come in put my things away and clock in. I would get my drawer out and count and balance my drawer and start assisting our customers. I worked at a fast pace location which I really enjoyed because it made the day go by quick but it also was just nice being busy. I don't like just sitting around staring at the ceiling. The management and other co-workers were great to work for. We all had great communication skills. The customers had their favorite teller, which was nice. That's one thing I miss. I made a lot of acquaintances that I miss very much. Really being a bank teller there wasn't any hard parts of the job. I really enjoyed this job.
Pros
Surprise lunches, raises and you could move up in the bank depending on how hard you worked
Cons
I don't have one negative thing to say about Great Southern Bank
Nice people, slow pace
Teller (Former Employee) –  Ankeny, IAJanuary 2, 2018
Greeted customers and help them with there banking needs. We didn't have to many new customers, so it was hard to build the business. It was nice to get to know our customers and know what they needed. I learned a lot from the customers and it was nice to get to know them. Hard part of the job the business was slow & could get boring.
Pros
Long breaks
Cons
pay is low
typical large corporation
Wire Transfer Associate (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MOJanuary 1, 2018
Working with this company has not been the most enjoyable, it is the largest bank where I live yet they offer the lowest wages and the opportunities for advancement are not satisfactory. There is a lack of a team feeling in the department I work, there has been so much turnover since I started its hard to build relationships with people. There are a lot of organization issues and miscommunication between departments we work closely with. Our building is an old grocery store so the office setting is very dull and lifeless because there are no windows. overall its just not a great environment to be in
Pros
benefits, job security, guaranteed hours
Cons
poor management, lack of leadership, dull environment, pay is too low
Great Southern Bank is a family owned bank
Corporate Services Officer (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MO 65203November 24, 2017
I thoroughly enjoyed working with Great Southern Bank, the CEO and Chair of GSB were wonderful, down to earth, open door policy. Each supervisor, from direct supervisor, up through the company were all friendly and genuine. I hated to see them have to close the Commercial Lending office in Columbia, but it made for a later location with a full service branch.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Great Southern Bank. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.4InHerSight Score

2.1Personal Development

2.9Career Opportunities

2.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight