Great West Employee Reviews

Nice company to work for but low turnover and hard to promote I to higher positions. Competitive environment work some saturdays long work weeks too
KEY RETIREMENT PLAN COUNSELOR, CRC (Current Employee) –  Glendale, CA 91203September 28, 2018
Greatwest (Empower- Retirement) is an awesome company the Retirement Readiness platform is helpful
for LA County employees they are now able to track their retirement finances more accurately throughout their career.
The culture is competitive and team orientated. The company is family friendly and you are required to work on Saturdays a few times out of the year.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Lots of administrative work and job responsibilities that require working on the weekends.
Changing Culture
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Greenwood Village, COAugust 30, 2018
Historically, this has been a conservative company with good benefits and a great work/life balance. New management has been changing the culture - not necessarily for the benefit. They are moving in new people and pushing out old - even people I would consider loyal and talented.
A company that believes in employee’s being assets.
New Business Implementation Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 25, 2019
I loved working for Great-West Retirement Services, now known as Great-West Financial/Empower. It is a huge company yet in my 13 years there I have more positive memories than poor ones. I was blessed, for the most part, with terrific managers, If you were a decent employee with something to offer there was a ton of potential to move laterally or upward. The company was generous with compensation and benefits and bonuses and they have a lovely campus in Denver. In my years there I mostly encountered hard working professionals who were treated fairly as professionals and highly valued for their work. Another thing I liked is that sometimes if you weren’t the perfect fit for a position you got into, they would do their best to place you elsewhere within the department you were working.
Pros
Just an all around good company
Cons
From my personal experience I don’t have any complaints
servicedesk analyst
servicedesk analyst (Former Employee) –  DTCAugust 1, 2018
I worked there for 4 years. The last 3 was with the worst manager I ever had. When I moved to the service desk, I was doing reports for another manager. I was docked 1.5 hrs of pay because I wasn't logged into the system. I even had proof that I was working before my start time. Another time when I was looking out the window there was another group having a bbq lunch. When I asked my manager when she was going to do something like that for us, I was told "WHEN YOU DESERVE IT". No cost of living wage raises, not much of a starting pay.
Pros
ok benefits
Cons
no annual cost of living pay increase. bad managers with no respect for employees
Retirement Representative
Retirement Representative (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WINovember 28, 2018
Intense call center. Poor, inexperienced management. Great training on retirement plans, however little room for advancement unless you were a management brown-noser. Little room for mistakes and endless calls, 60-100 per shift.
Pros
Training
Cons
Endless calls, poor management
Stressful and inconsistent job environment
Retirement Specialist (Former Employee) –  Greenwood Village, COJuly 27, 2018
This company is so inconsistent. I resigned to my position and I don’t regret it. They tell you they will train you to get your financial advisor licenses, but will always change your training dates. The excuse? Service levels are below expectations so they need to keep the reps on the phones to take more calls. Thinking about being promoted? Forget about it! It will take you two to three years before you can even been considered for a slightly higher level position. In a stressful job like this, longer lunches and breaks are needed but they just don’t care. Some team leads and managers are nice but others are rude and instead of helping you they will tell you to use the team chat instead. They don’t like to be “bothered” and they micro manage a lot. The call score system and metrics are beyond strict and it adds unnecessary stress to your job environment. If you want to avoid stress and don’t want to waste your time in an unstable company, stay away from this place!
Pros
Nice facility
Cons
Lack of advancement, inconsistent management
HR only backs management
Client Relationship Manager (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 13, 2019
This company is cheap - they are now known as Empower. no one would work for them under Great West if they wanted any type of income other then entry level. They bring in outsiders to run teams instead of promoting from within. They do not listen to employees but will listen to lies from managers even when the manager has been with the company less time than the employee and the manager has no proof of any of their accusations to employee just to get rid of them because they don;t like an individual working under them. Absolutely no loyalty for subordinates. HR only defends management in all situations.
Pros
Cons
everything
Great-West Life Review
Regulatory Services Account Rep (Former Employee) –  Greenwood Village, COSeptember 28, 2018
This was my first job when I moved to Denver from Reno and the atmosphere was welcoming. I worked in a few different businesses under the umbrella of Great-West Life and found they all were a great working culture.
Pros
Opportunities to train and grow
Cons
Difficult to move between different positions.
Nepotism
Retirement Specialist (Former Employee) –  Andover, MAJanuary 25, 2019
The company is based on who know. If you're not spanish or have a family member working here then dont bother applying to this job you will not like it. Also this place is very cheap and the management is very petty and cult like.
Pros
Cons
management
Typical Office Job
Wholesaler Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Greenwood Village, COOctober 21, 2018
This is a great place to work, paid well, lots of benefits right off the bat. I just wasn't happy with the work I was doing there. If you enjoy simply working for just the money than this is a great place for you to work. I would like to work where I can help other and the community I live in.
Pros
great benefits
HQ in Colorado, controlled from New York.
Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Greenwood Village, COAugust 3, 2018
What did I like best about the company? Their cafeteria. Also, the exterior of the building looks nice.

What did I like least about the company? Parking is a hassle. Their performance rating system is exclusive and competitive. It allows them to justify favoritism.

The company became an emotionally unsafe place to work after they merged with Putnam Investments and with J.P. Morgan Retirement Services. It became hostile and competitive.

Their systems models can be intractable, and require long term research to comprehend, but it is difficult to find the right person to assist you with specific questions. Documentation is disorganized or non-existent unless you write it yourself, and they will rely on that to train the person they replace you with. They possess no metadata for the data warehouse, data structures, and databases.

The executives and managers have an ongoing policy now to ship as many jobs offshore to India as possible except their own, and openly favor people they import here to the United States from India.

If executives and managers do not like you, they will openly demonstrate it. One vice president even bragged about how he ruled with an iron fist. Gee. Be prepared for constant criticism and no positive reinforcement. If you are innovative, you will be disregarded and disciplined.

The managers will take no interest in your prior education at all. Unless they practice something here, anything you learned elsewhere is of no value to them or how they did things here for thirty years. They were very late adopters of Agile. If you work in IT, you
  more... will have no opportunity to work with advanced or innovative systems, products and tools. Everything is legacy here, because it has worked for decades. They were compelled to change only because of the integrations necessitated by the mergers.

They do not accept career networking, and are not open to permitting people to network with one another to learn about the company and opportunities for advancement. I was browbeaten by my front line supervisor for cordially talking to someone else in the company. Just talking. The only way to advance is to apply for a job on their job board and take your chances. Otherwise you may win favor with someone you worked with here for 25 years. However, they love people offshore in India, and look forward to replacing everyone here in Colorado with Indians, except themselves.
Pros
Good food in the cafeteria
Cons
Management hostility to Americans
It was good place to work
Sr. SW Systems Engineer. /Sr SW Developer (Former Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 4, 2018
Pros : new challenges, new tools , new opportunities to explore.. Company is emphasizing a lot on its growth and cost cuttings.
love the cafeteria

cons : it gets hectic with constant changing business needs, new technologies, and with less task force supporting the needs. work life balance was at stake
Working 12 hour days
Account Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Somerset, NJDecember 10, 2018
Worked very long days. Management was never trained in management therefor their skills were not there. Employees I met were the best part of this job.
Would return here.
ACCOUNTS PAYABLE ADMINISTRATOR (Former Employee) –  Greenwood Village, CONovember 21, 2018
I would definitely work here again. There was so much cohesion within the department, no office political games I was aware of, a well structured line of command, and a great cafeteria to boot! The people I worked with were very friendly and supportive of me as a young and relatively inexperienced professional.
work day was stressful but productive
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXDecember 13, 2018
On a typical day it was stressful working for this company. The training was very fast paced and we had four different trainers because they all quit. From the day I started they were trying to keep the doors open at the company.
Great place to work, company is ever growing.
SAP BI/BW Developer (Former Employee) –  Greenwood Village, COJune 18, 2018
It's a big company and continues to grow. Lot of opportunities that will keep you busy. Great work culture, lots of fun people working there. Always something new going on.
Productive and Fun Working place, stress free
Business Process Analyst (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSJanuary 23, 2019
Stand ups
gathering requirements
facilitate meetings
manage project
coordinate with team and superiors
fun and very proactive team
helpful and encouraging team
stress free work environment
Self Decisions choices
Corporate
Service Delivery Specialist (Current Employee) –  Denver, COApril 11, 2018
Great benefits, pretty easy. Not the best pay or career advancement. Lots of time off and pretty easy job but just can't move up very quick and pay is so-so but not enough to survive in a city on your own.
Company Cultue is changing for the Better
Manager, Software Development Manager (Current Employee) –  InvernessOctober 4, 2018
Great Company. Changing to appeal to the new youth talent in local Denver area.

IT team is moving towards Full stack teams. Lots of money being spent on It to support the Business.
Pros
Daily Jeans, Causual dress. Great Food in Food court.
positive
Senior Manager, Operations (Current Employee) –  Greenwood Village, COMarch 4, 2018
Been a very positive and productive experience working there. Have been provided opportunities for personal and career development. Much exposure with senior management.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Great West. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.8InHerSight Score

2.4Personal Development

2.9Career Opportunities

2.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight