Great West Employee Reviews

Typical Office Job
Wholesaler Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Greenwood Village, COOctober 21, 2018
This is a great place to work, paid well, lots of benefits right off the bat. I just wasn't happy with the work I was doing there. If you enjoy simply working for just the money than this is a great place for you to work. I would like to work where I can help other and the community I live in.
Pros
great benefits
Company Cultue is changing for the Better
Manager, Software Development Manager (Current Employee) –  InvernessOctober 4, 2018
Great Company. Changing to appeal to the new youth talent in local Denver area.

IT team is moving towards Full stack teams. Lots of money being spent on It to support the Business.
Pros
Daily Jeans, Causual dress. Great Food in Food court.
Great-West Life Review
Regulatory Services Account Rep (Former Employee) –  Greenwood Village, COSeptember 28, 2018
This was my first job when I moved to Denver from Reno and the atmosphere was welcoming. I worked in a few different businesses under the umbrella of Great-West Life and found they all were a great working culture.
Pros
Opportunities to train and grow
Cons
Difficult to move between different positions.
It was good place to work
Sr. SW Systems Engineer. /Sr SW Developer (Former Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 4, 2018
Pros : new challenges, new tools , new opportunities to explore.. Company is emphasizing a lot on its growth and cost cuttings.
love the cafeteria

cons : it gets hectic with constant changing business needs, new technologies, and with less task force supporting the needs. work life balance was at stake
Changing Culture
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Greenwood Village, COAugust 30, 2018
Historically, this has been a conservative company with good benefits and a great work/life balance. New management has been changing the culture - not necessarily for the benefit. They are moving in new people and pushing out old - even people I would consider loyal and talented.
HQ in Colorado, controlled from New York.
Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Greenwood Village, COAugust 3, 2018
What did I like best about the company? Their cafeteria. Also, the exterior of the building looks nice.

What did I like least about the company? Parking is a hassle. Their performance rating system is exclusive and competitive. It allows them to justify favoritism.

The company became an emotionally unsafe place to work after they merged with Putnam Investments and with J.P. Morgan Retirement Services. It became hostile and competitive.

Their systems models can be intractable, and require long term research to comprehend, but it is difficult to find the right person to assist you with specific questions. Documentation is disorganized or non-existent unless you write it yourself, and they will rely on that to train the person they replace you with. They possess no metadata for the data warehouse, data structures, and databases.

The executives and managers have an ongoing policy now to ship as many jobs offshore to India as possible except their own, and openly favor people they import here to the United States from India.

If executives and managers do not like you, they will openly demonstrate it. One vice president even bragged about how he ruled with an iron fist. Gee. Be prepared for constant criticism and no positive reinforcement. If you are innovative, you will be disregarded and disciplined.

The managers will take no interest in your prior education at all. Unless they practice something here, anything you learned elsewhere is of no value to them or how they did things here for thirty years. They were very late adopters of Agile. If you work in IT, you
  more... will have no opportunity to work with advanced or innovative systems, products and tools. Everything is legacy here, because it has worked for decades. They were compelled to change only because of the integrations necessitated by the mergers.

They do not accept career networking, and are not open to permitting people to network with one another to learn about the company and opportunities for advancement. I was browbeaten by my front line supervisor for cordially talking to someone else in the company. Just talking. The only way to advance is to apply for a job on their job board and take your chances. Otherwise you may win favor with someone you worked with here for 25 years. However, they love people offshore in India, and look forward to replacing everyone here in Colorado with Indians, except themselves.
Pros
Good food in the cafeteria
Cons
Management hostility to Americans
servicedesk analyst
servicedesk analyst (Former Employee) –  DTCAugust 1, 2018
I worked there for 4 years. The last 3 was with the worst manager I ever had. When I moved to the service desk, I was doing reports for another manager. I was docked 1.5 hrs of pay because I wasn't logged into the system. I even had proof that I was working before my start time. Another time when I was looking out the window there was another group having a bbq lunch. When I asked my manager when she was going to do something like that for us, I was told "WHEN YOU DESERVE IT". No cost of living wage raises, not much of a starting pay.
Pros
ok benefits
Cons
no annual cost of living pay increase. bad managers with no respect for employees
Stressful and inconsistent job environment
Retirement Specialist (Former Employee) –  Greenwood Village, COJuly 27, 2018
This company is so inconsistent. I resigned to my position and I don’t regret it. They tell you they will train you to get your financial advisor licenses, but will always change your training dates. The excuse? Service levels are below expectations so they need to keep the reps on the phones to take more calls. Thinking about being promoted? Forget about it! It will take you two to three years before you can even been considered for a slightly higher level position. In a stressful job like this, longer lunches and breaks are needed but they just don’t care. Some team leads and managers are nice but others are rude and instead of helping you they will tell you to use the team chat instead. They don’t like to be “bothered” and they micro manage a lot. The call score system and metrics are beyond strict and it adds unnecessary stress to your job environment. If you want to avoid stress and don’t want to waste your time in an unstable company, stay away from this place!
Pros
Nice facility
Cons
Lack of advancement, inconsistent management
Fast paced and Transforming
Manager (Current Employee) –  Greenwood Village, COJuly 19, 2018
Fast paced and transforming environment. Decisions seem to only be made at the top most levels. Definite shift in atmosphere in recent years. Keep up or exit.
Great place to work, company is ever growing.
SAP BI/BW Developer (Former Employee) –  Greenwood Village, COJune 18, 2018
It's a big company and continues to grow. Lot of opportunities that will keep you busy. Great work culture, lots of fun people working there. Always something new going on.
Senior Service Representative/Sales
Health Insurance Sales/Service (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAMay 14, 2018
My day varied from being in the office to calling upon our clients. Worked out customer claim issues, submitted new business, enrollment meetings

I learned to be able to do presentations in front of a large amount of employees

Busy workplace environment, excellent team work

I enjoyed working with many different types of businesses
Pros
Make your own schedule
Cons
Productive and well balanced work and life style
Life Underwriter (Former Employee) –  RemoteMay 12, 2018
Great West Life is an excellent company to work for. Though I was working as a remote underwriter, the team was excellent. We had excellent team work and mentors.
Pros
Days off even on Good Friday
Cons
Project was shorter than expected
Good Work life balance
Employee Relations Consultant (Current Employee) –  Greenwood Village, COMay 1, 2018
I enjoy the work that I am doing. I am also thankful for the opportunities I have been give to grow my career. The culture has shifted a bit in the time that I have been with GWF but not all change is bad.
Director Provider Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Piscataway, NJApril 20, 2018
Great West was one of the best jobs I ever had. I worked there for about 15 years and enjoyed going to work almost every day. It was a sad day when they decided to close the North East office and move functions to the Mid West.
Pros
Great staff, great leadership
Cons
can't think of any
Great-West work experience was some time ago
Assistant Manager of Accounting (Former Employee) –  Denver, COApril 18, 2018
Great-West work experience was some time ago
So many nice people, great team environment
The company was challenged during that time, having spikes and reductions in force more regularly than what lends to a stable work setting
Corporate
Service Delivery Specialist (Current Employee) –  Denver, COApril 11, 2018
Great benefits, pretty easy. Not the best pay or career advancement. Lots of time off and pretty easy job but just can't move up very quick and pay is so-so but not enough to survive in a city on your own.
Stable Work Environment
Marketing Project Specialist (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSMarch 19, 2018
Great people but little opportunity for advancement. The pay rate for most positions is below other companies. Also the responsibility for said positions is more than the pay rate given should be.
Great-West Healthcare
Internal Controls Analyst (Former Employee) –  Greenwood Village, COMarch 16, 2018
I'm not sure this review would be helpful now given the Healthcare Division was sold off long ago and the business now focuses on Finance and Investments as well as Life Insurance.
Productive workplace
Flexible Spending Account Representative (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMarch 15, 2018
Had my own daily tasks and deadlines to meet, I learned about FSA accounts (flexible spending account) Management did not hover. Hardest part of the job was knowing it was not a permanent position
Pros
Hours
Cons
Contract/Temporary position
positive
Senior Manager, Operations (Current Employee) –  Greenwood Village, COMarch 4, 2018
Been a very positive and productive experience working there. Have been provided opportunities for personal and career development. Much exposure with senior management.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Great West. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.8InHerSight Score

2.4Personal Development

2.9Career Opportunities

2.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight