GREATER LAWRENCE COMMUNITY ACTION COUNCIL Employee Reviews

Don't work here
Teacher (Current Employee) –  305 essex stMarch 13, 2019
You will be mistreated by management, not a good place to work at all. Average stay of new employee <2 months. High over turn, workers are paid minimum wage with bachelors degrees, no appreciation for staff. Management runs company like a dictatorship.
Cons
If it sounds to good to be true it probably is...RUN
Worker (Current Employee) –  Lawrence, MAMarch 10, 2019
It is no wonder they are begging for employees..High high over turn! Management is as fake as can be....Poor work
enviroment and expect way more from you than they are willing to give......
Great
Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lawrence, MAFebruary 6, 2019
Great team work. They very flexible with your time and personal issues.i enjoyed working there for about 12 years. Very supporting staff members......
Newer employee, felt welcomed
Outreach Worker (Current Employee) –  Lawrence, MAJanuary 23, 2019
I started in August of 2018. From the application process through my department orientation and training. Employees here are passionate about their work. Most recently we went to Tufts for our health coverage and they have been wonderful. We also have new retirement programs.
Pros
Work life balance, atmosphere
Cons
Smooth hiring process, happy new employee
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Lawrence, MAJanuary 23, 2019
As a relatively new hire, the interview and hiring process was easy as compared to other places I had worked. I felt as though my manager was very thorough during the on-boarding process. I also feel the connection to the clients.
Pros
Benefits, training
Cons
Difficult work
Great place, vital to local communities
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lawrence, MAJanuary 23, 2019
Most recently leadership and HR have worked to boost salaries for the lowest paid employees. We have also moved from Fallon Health to Tufts. I feel most recently there has been more information sharing.
Terrible hiring process
Senior Manager (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, MADecember 5, 2018
I interviewed with GLCAC for a senior level leadership position and after 2 interviews and 3 months I was ghosted with no explanation or follow up. The process speaks to the lack of professionalism, communication and poor company culture. Given the troublesome past of the agency (corruption and mismanagement) greater attention should be placed in hiring quality team members and not losing out on talent.
Wonderful Environment
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Lawrence, MAOctober 19, 2018
I read complaints about management and I know for a fact some of the problem employees are making negative posts. If you can't show up and act professionally, you can't work here. I applaud senior leadership for finally removing some of the bad employees including managers.
Benefits
Cons
Difficult work
Mid level supervisors = inexperienced, micromanagers
teacher (Current Employee) –  Lawrence, MAAugust 30, 2018
Horrible place to work. No respect for employees. Pay so low, employees qualify for agency services. Extremely high turnover. Cut-throat, elementary school bully atmosphere.
Pros
wonderful families; some amazing co-workers
Cons
micro managers; kids and families are NOT the priority
Alarming
Support Staff (Current Employee) –  Lawrence, MAAugust 24, 2018
There are individuals in upper management that need to go. This place has potential to help the community. However due to old mentality and extremely poor managerial skills I do not recommend this agency.

KEEP LOOKING...
Cons
Upper management Head Start program
Bad Management
Education Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, MAMay 28, 2018
Management doesn’t care, it’s a do as I say or else type of leadership. They pick favorites and bend over backwards to accommodate them. They have taken all that was good about GLCAC Inc. and ruined it. When you walk in to the main office, you can feel the tension in the air. It has become a miserable place to work! The need to change upper management or it will never be the same.
You get what you give
Outreach Specialist (Former Employee) –  Essex StMay 3, 2018
Serving the people of Lawrence on many levels is what the GLCAC does. For over 50 year it has been part of the fabric of Lawrence. Many people have many takes on what the GLCAC is and what its turned into. You have people who give the organization their all and some you just barley give enough, when you give your all you get the praise you deserve. My time at the GLCAC was grand. I learned a lot I gave a lot. I will miss the people there and working for the agency. I enjoyed serving helping Lawrence through them in many capacities.
Pros
The people, the pay, benifits
Not worth it
Manager (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, MAAugust 26, 2017
The management doesn't understand the work life balance not do they uphold integrity..

The practice little if anything of their mission statement and truly don't service their community.

The programs would be better under new leadership..

Its unfortunate that they can lie on paper and continue to get grants...

The company went through one scandal with the last CEO... Its a matter of time until they are in another one...
Cons
Management that doesn't care about staff
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, MAJuly 31, 2017
Working here you'll find management that cares more for money then about the staff or children they serve. Everything is about the money. With that everything is for appearance. Management will spy on their employees, fire people that disagree or stand in their way. And forget about your job title, your life at home etc. You go where they tell you to go when they want you to go. Can't even remember the last time upper management went into a classroom if it wasn't for a photo-op. The staff besides management are great and so are the kids besides that, good luck. They really need to work on being better management the problem is at the top.
Pros
Great kids, staff besides management are very nice, welcoming
Cons
Poor management that doesn't care
Low pay, workplace politics, favoritism
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, MAJuly 16, 2017
This is a place where you can advance your career. Some friendly people but too much inter-office politics and gossiping. They do provide good benefits.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Bad culture, no advancement
Low paying job
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, MAJune 2, 2017
The Head start Program before it was good to work there before but during the years the program has gone down for bad manegement and employees that think there boss just because they have an associate or a bachelor's treatting the rest of the teaching staff like garbage. The Head Start should appreciate there staff more
Pros
Learning about different children and cultures
Cons
Low paying job
This is a non profit with not very much room to grow.
Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, MAMarch 24, 2017
If you are looking to work in a place where there is a good culture within the employees I wouldn't reccomend. Everyone there goes to work and never really interact with other employees. At times I felt it to be a bit of a hostile environment. Unfortunetely Management and HR do not seem to care to much about this.
People helping people
Intake Specialist/Certifier/Payment Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, MAJuly 11, 2016
It was a high paced environment once you punched in. The program is like an emergency room for Low-income individuals and families who need to get their utilities turned on.
Cons
Due to being a non-profit organization the benefits were not that great.
Busy Diverse culture
Administration (Current Employee) –  Lawrence, MAMarch 14, 2016
Typical day at an office, nothing is in order people go to work but you can tell there is no passion about what they do there.
Great place to work.
Assistant Cook (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, MADecember 11, 2013
All the way from the bottom to upper management are great. Great place to work.