Greater Minnesota Family Services Employee Reviews

Poor management, not supportive of employees
Mental Health Counselor (Former Employee) –  New Ulm, MNNovember 1, 2018
Management could care less about employees concerns and when they are brought up they are ignored. There was no follow through from management on promises to employees in regards to safety and wellbeing of children. There was limited structure for children that needed alot of structure. Employees were unreliable and allowed to continue to work there. Management made excuses over and over again for poor management skills, however is still employed with the company. Human resources did not listen to concerns of employees.
Ultimate flexibility and freedom
Mental Health Therapist (Current Employee) –  Marshall, MNSeptember 28, 2018
This agency provides a competetive salary and rewards work that is above and beyond the job description. They have created the ultimate in flexibility for mental health therapists and counselors. You organize your own schedule and find what meets the needs of kids and what you are available to do. You are able to offer a variety of mental health services for comprehensiveness and the need for these services are significant. They have truly caring staff that connect closely with families, schools and community agencies to wrap around kids in crisis and high need. The agency as a whole is collaborative with employees and always willing to hear and consider program changes to address need and staffing interest.
Pros
You work very independently, ultimate flexibility in your schedule, caring staff support you from within your community or region
Best "Job" I Ever Had
Therapist (Current Employee) –  Multiple LocationsMay 22, 2018
Working at Greater Minnesota never really felt like work. On most days, I played with children in a therapeutic setting with the purpose of making their lives better and teaching their parents new skills. I saw an average of five clients per day, set my own schedule, worked at my own pace, and found the culture of my coworkers to be exceptionally inclusive and encouraging. I was really amazed by the concept of the self-managed team, where a group of autonomous providers in similar positions worked together to accomplish business goals and support one another in their work. There's an emphasis in creating a healing environment and practicing constant self-care, both extremely important if you are working in the mental health field.
Pros
Set your own schedule, free food during meetings, laid back environment
Cons
Need to be highly motivated to succeed as no one micromanages your work
Rethinking GMFS
Mental Health Counselor (Former Employee) –  Central MinnesotaFebruary 19, 2018
Greater Minnesota family service is a non-profit company that operates like a for profit company. They have monthly hour quotas that staff have to reach in order to be in good standing which is a tough thing to do when you are working in home. If an employee was behind on hours, they would have to pay the company back those hours or work more hours the next month to make up the difference.

GMFS higher ups also told employees not to write negative reviews on jobs site regarding the company instead of hearing out the concerns of the employees and addressing them.

If you are new to the field of in-home, stay away from GMFS. They don't care about your growth as an individual post-master therapist and only care about your contribution to their "dream" especially their so-called dream team.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Lack of support, poor training, poor management
Challenging work in a different but fair environment
Family therapist (Current Employee) –  MinnesotaJune 16, 2017
This is a great place to work if you are self-motivated and want to work in somewhat of a collegial environment. Self managed teams provide the primary structure and support. Management intervenes if a team is having a hard time dealing with something or someone. It is possible to transfer to another team or position if things just aren't working out. Clinical consultations are with peers and clinical supervisor. Many positions are site-based or in-home and the ability to work independently is important.

There seem to be small annual raises, higher raises are offered based on merit, for going the extra mile for the team or agency. When working over the monthly billable expectation, the hours are paid out, (depending on your pay option). Longevity incentive bonuses are given to staff starting at five years with the agency. It is challenging work, but we are helping children and their families with high emotional and mental health needs.
Pros
Collegial environment, can transfer within, salary, raises, bonuses for staying on
Cons
Have to stay on top of documentation or it gets tough to catch-up.
It is what you make it
Therapist associate (Current Employee) –  Many locationsMay 24, 2017
I've loved working for this company. I definitely feel i belong. Everyone is encouraging of others advancing and celebrate achievements. I choose my hours and set my own appointments. I decide how much or little i work during the week. The work is mentally tough sometimes and the ability to spend time with others in the field and learn and grow from them is priceless. I've gained so much experience in the years I've been working here and look forward to gaining so much more. The management of this company are open and caring; they will help in anyway they can if help is asked for. They continue to give chances for growth to people who would have long used too many in other companies. This is an asset, as they continue to help those who area still gaining mastery a helping hand. They meet employees where they are and do all they can to help employees achieve growth from providing vehicles and maintenance, lending an ear or shoulder, to clinical supervision with supervisors in many different modalities of mastery.
As with everything there are bumps in the road. There is no perfect place to be employed at. With greater Minnesota it's pretty close though.
Pros
Set your own schedule, excellent team building, clinical supervision, paid internships
Cons
Insurance, no dental
avoid this organization like the plague!
school and family counselor (Former Employee) –  Saint Cloud, MNMay 11, 2017
They do everything they can to bill MA as much as possible without regard for the service quality or the wellbeing of staff. Avoid this organization!
Pros
professional autonomy
Cons
no paid leave, nepotism, organization refuses to reward employees that put in extra effort, and also refuses to penalize employees who don't pull their weight, 3000$ deductible health insurance, no support for practitioners, in-fighting in "self managed teams", high amount of paperwork, the organization will retoractively penalize you if there is an error in your paperwork
Excellent place to make a difference for the generation of tomorrow!
Mental Health Counselor (Former Employee) –  New Ulm, MNMay 24, 2015
I sincerely miss working at Greater Minnesota Family Services. The relationships with staff and clients were very fulfilling. I personally thoroughly enjoyed making a difference in the lives of these youth who have the potential for a better life.
Pros
Mentoring Youth, Competative Pay, Making a difference
Independent work environment for motivated people
School and Family Mental Health Counselor (Current Employee) –  Willmar, MNFebruary 9, 2015
This agency is ideal for independent people who are self-motivated and responsible. The team atmosphere is beneficial, however, at times there is a lack of clear leadership.
Pros
Team environment, flexible schedule
Cons
Vacation
Somethings Never Change
Therapist (Former Employee) –  Willmar, MNNovember 20, 2014
For a family services entity they are decidedly opposed to the support of their workers in terms of hours, pay, benefits, time outside of the job and the mental games used to grind more out of the employees. I enjoyed providing services but found it to be a cult with one leader no matter what is espoused so was very high stress. It's a tough position especially in the winter and the compensation for mileage doesn't pay for your vehicle. You will be unable to trust/believe the management.
Pros
Very nice personnel
Cons
NOT family friendly
Worst Employer Ever
Confidential (Former Employee) –  ConfidentialNovember 14, 2014
Very negative work environment. No team spirit. Overemphasis on making money. CEO is always negative about employees taking off at Christmas time. Constant push to work more hours.
Pros
Middle of the road pay compared to similar employers
Cons
Extreme negativity
Enjoyable position to make a difference in families lives.
Early Childhood Counselor (Former Employee) –  Saint Cloud, MNMay 26, 2014
My position was very beneficial and welcomed by all families and facilities I worked at. I provided individual skills and family counseling.