Greater Philadelphia YMCA

Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Trust in colleagues

Pretty good

What the Y stands for is amazing and the work that is done at the branch level is great. When you go beyond the branch level is where things get mucky. Not every branch is treated equally and not every branch fully serves the mission

Fun place to be at work

I had a good time and I liked the work environment I was a manager and the facilities were always clean and sanitized.I never had a problem from corporate or management I would recommend this work for anyone

Pros

I had a good time

Cons

Good time

very little pay for how much responsibility they force on you.

I was a swim instructor and genuinely felt abused in my role. I was treated as a lifeguard, not an instructor, and never listened to by management when stating this.

Productive and enjoyable work place

Working for the YMCA has been an enjoyment, the staff and supervisors make you feel right at home and the working environment is always positive and healthy.

Great job to make an impact in your community

Fun environment with a lot of support. Great to see so much diversity in one place. Kids learning to swim, seniors playing bridge and socializing, teens and young adults working out and playing basketball and the aerobics classes are filled. Members are generally nice and thankful but being in customer service, you always get some mean ones. Hardest part of the job is dealing with the systems. Training and re-training. Post covid we are all short staffed so working multiple jobs and hours but hopefully that will change with time.

Pros

Benefits, free membership, retirement plan, career opportunities, flexible hours

Cons

Turnover, dealing with some members

Job seekers rely on your experience.

Not much.

Fun environment to work in. Lack of staff causes issues with certain things. Not a bad place to work if some situations change. Difficult to get in touch with higher staff at times.

Pros

Fun evnviornemnt

Cons

Lack of staff causes disorganization difficult to get in touch when need to do or ask something.

I loved working here!

I was a part time child care aide who often was given close to 39 hours of work when available! The environment is so welcoming and the job itself is so fulfilling. I was able to create lasting memories with not only the children but the staff as well.

Great people at my branch but overall management was toxic

Great work /life balance. Management was toxic and negative and quick to blame everyone for things outside of their control. Limited opportunity for advancement and the money is not enough for the work you are doing.

Low pay, high drama

Toxic environment all around. Promotes health and well being but is really only focused on making a profit despite being "non profit". Fitness instructors get paid around 12$ a class, no reimbursement for trainings. Other instructors are competitive for prime time spots, so the environment is supportive. Worst thing is they expect you to donate a portion of your pay every year for their annual campaigns...

Pros

Cons

Low pay, expectation to donate money

Approachable, Caring and Excellent Leadership. YMCA Rocky Run Media PA

Excellent communication from my Manager, Solid training on new system, Positive team. Manager Leads by example.I am on the Membership Team.Very Clean Facility. Pleasant and Appreciative Members. Co-workers are wonderful.

Pros

Free Membership

Cons

Low wages. As a part timer I do not think I am eligible for 403 B... which I understand is wonderful

Fantastic Association

I started as a camp counselor then worked my way up to Assistant Camp Director and Site Director for the Roxborough branch. I learned so much during my time and made long lasting friendships and connections. Now, I am a child care director for another YMCA association. Everything I learned was from PFY and so many great memories. Great association and I would definitely go back!

Pros

Great work environment, membership, professional development

Cons

Low wages

Awesome team!

● OverallThe YMCA promotes employees working together for the health and safety of its members. The swim instruction program is well developed for the success of its students and safety for everyone.

If you love kids this is a good place to work. Flexible work hours. The children have a circle time, crafts, playtime. Helps to have some experience and trainings.

Good company that focuses on impacting people.

The mission needs to be the leading focus for all work. Impacting lives and uplifting the community must be at the center of what the Y does to advance its mission.

Columbia North YMCA

This is the WORSE place to work for the summer program. Management is horrible; staff is immature and day to day activities change within the hour. Poor management!!!!

Pros

Going home for the day

Cons

Poor management

Don’t work here!

Discriminated against based on age and race. Site director undermines everything I say and do! Management has some rules for some sites and different rules for others. Completely unorganized!

Depends on what facility you work for!

I’ve experienced some of the worst managers ever at the Y, every facility is different, there’s no best practices “management model” at any of them and the really bad managers still get promoted! I’ve been “body shamed”, there’s favoritism, ageism, which equated to serious lack of advancement. On the flip side I had an absolutely amazing manager who’s door was always open, was fair and honest, tried new things, no favoritism, helped everyone advance in their career and education. This was a rare find. Choose wisely what facility you work for, if you find management to be lacking quickly move on to another facility. Bad managers at the Y never go away, only the great managers move on to better positions and other fitness companies, follow the great managers even if they leave the Y!

Pros

I love the members and my co-workers

Cons

Horrible pay, hit or miss with the management, mostly a miss!

Solid job culture, very little room for advancement, minimal pay

(Pros:) Solid job for someone right out of college looking to gain experience in the education field. (Cons:) not enough compensation for what you contribute to the position or budget to get what you need as far as materials go.

Low Pay for Child Care

Staff working with children are underpaid and most do not get benefits. The job is very difficult to have the responsibility of taking care of children and this does not reflect in the pay or appreciation.

Difficult dealing with Branch and Association

Management was not supportive dealing with branch and changes that needed to be implemented. Staff at branch was not on the same page as the association office. Branch seems to be running its own show, not following guidelines in place by association. Maintenance items were ever present, poor morale among staff, understaffed constantly. A typical day began at 5:45am at one location, visiting other locations throughout the day and ending the day at 6pm. In the evening, it was interview calls and paperwork to bring more staff on board. Business Manager at this branch was hostile creating a hostile work environment in which she undermined authority constantly. The workplace culture at this branch was if you were here before the Association took over you were not welcome. Manager clearly had no prior experience in managing other managers... it was a unique experience...not one that I would recommend to anyone.

Meaningful Work, Caring People

The Y is a great b=place for someone that wants to have an impact on their community. It is to be noted that full time work, and competitive compensation is hard to come by.

Pros

free membership, sense of community

Cons

low pay, no concern for work life balance

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Greater Philadelphia YMCA. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.7
2.8
  • Greater Philadelphia YMCA
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?