Green Dot Public Schools Employee Reviews

Stressful Environment
Mathematics Teacher, Fairley High School (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNMarch 24, 2019
There is a lack of culture at this school. If it was just the admin and the teachers it would be great, but the home office does not believe in serious consequences. Something needs to be done about student behavior in order to make a difference here, and the teacher can only do so much. It is always disorganized, and teacher's concerns are not heard (at least not by home office).
Very progressive organization
Campus Safety Officer (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaMarch 4, 2019
I enjoye working with people from various different backgrounds. The organization is big on researching and monitoring data to improve systems and policies.
Tough school, long hours, little administrative support, no discipline.
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 17, 2018
Nearly impossible to teach in an environment where badly behaving students keep returning to your classroom.
Mostly really young, hard working teachers with limited resources.
Cons
environment with little administrative support.Really challenging
Productive Environment
Chemistry Teacher (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 9, 2018
Hard work due to student population but rewarding

A typical day was fast paced in-order to keep the environment with students safe.

Great Assistant Principal for my mentor.
Pros
Great Mentors for incoming teachers
Cons
They do not count teaching years before your credential for salary rting.
Challenging and Productive
Community Organizer (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 7, 2018
The hardest part of the job is working in under-served communities, as much as you try to help everyone, you can never reach enough people. Most enjoyable part of the job was making a difference in the community.
Fast-paced
Classified Staff (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 18, 2018
All in all this company is great at providing resources and training for new employees. Have transition into different roles within the company and definitely any employee needs to be "Team Strong" and always go above and beyond your job description. There are always new projects that need to be completed and other tasks constantly on your plate. Definitely a fast-paced environment. Compensation is not great but benefits are definitely a plus.
Pros
Working with students
Cons
Salary
Stressful but with employees willing to help, communication could be better among administrators, lack of consistency and resources for teachers.
Spanish Teacher (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNMay 8, 2018
The administrators are there for the right reasons and are willing to help as much as possible, but may not have the resources available to help. The teachers I worked with were great. Discipline is definitely an issue and sometimes not always supported like it should be. Great salary and benefits, and other employees are always willing to help with what they can.
Pros
great salary, good work environment among teachers
Cons
not many resources or much help with discipline issues
Great!
Assistant Principal (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNDecember 23, 2017
Great place to work and learn. Great culture. People really care about the work that they do! That is rare and it makes you excited to go to work each day.
Pros
Cons
None.
OFFICE COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNNovember 30, 2017
Working for Green Dot is actually fun yet extremely competitive and lots of hard work. Just make sure to stay in your lane and smile all the time. Remember, the kids are the focus.
Wonderful People and Mission
Knowledge Management Analyst (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CA 90015November 20, 2017
Green Dot was a great place to work, particularly for those new to the non-for-profit space. I was initially frustrated by a lack of talent investment, but management has made changes to address professional development.
productive
Part time - Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 18, 2017
this company has made me a better version of my self ,it has help me grow and has molded me into a better man. it has also inspired me to go back to school and further my education.
Pros
great people
Cons
not enough hours
Nice non-profit company
PAYROLL MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 16, 2017
I admire the mission of Green Dot Public Schools! They've repeatedly turned struggling schools into charter schools, and have greatly improved SAT and state test scores
Pros
School holidays
Cons
Very political
Gdps work
Director of Student Services (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNSeptember 13, 2017
A typical day at work is fast paced and requires for you to be focused and goal centered. I have improved in learning how to manage my personal schedule and support my direct reports in managing their schedule. The hardest part of the job is working to meet the needs of the student population but they are the most enjoyable part of the job as well. I appreciate that Green Dot is student centered and decisions are made with them in mind as the key stakeholders.
Pros
great staff, student-centered, competitive compensation and benefits
Cons
long days
Green Dot Public School is a Passionate and Inspiring Place to Work
Payroll Associate (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 3, 2017
I love working at Green Dot Public Schools, it's a non profit organization that has plenty of opportunities to mentor and volunteer at the schools.

They have a excellent work culture with a work/home balance.

Since they are a non profit organization, salary ranges are slightly low but if you take time to volunteer you are giving to communities that are in need.
Pros
free staff lunches every few months
Cons
traffic
Driven to provide better Education for children in public schools
Community Organizer (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 2, 2017
Working for Green Dot has been a pleasure, I was granted the opportunity to make a change in the community by getting out there and connecting with parents, students and employers of the City of Inglewood whom were interested in providing students with a higher education at a new Inglewood Charter School. The most challenging part of the job was coming across anti-charter school representatives
Productive and fun workplace
Senior Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 14, 2017
I love the atmosphere and the culture of the company. Being promoted or getting a raise is a very difficult process. The finance department is full of good people
Pros
Good atmosphere and work environment
Cons
Pay is well below market value
Great organization that is doing meaningful work
School Psychologist (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 30, 2017
Great organization that is doing meaningful work. Provide great support to learn and grow. Teachers and staff are excited and willing to do hard work to help students succeed.
A High Quality Charter School Management Organization
Charter High School Principal (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 26, 2017
This is an organization founded to provide a quality education for children and families in the poorest and historically most neglected sections of Los Angeles (and now well beyond Los Angeles) and it has managed to grow consistently while continuing to evolve and improve. Green Dot is a leader and shining example of how to scale up and serve more cities and neighborhoods without lowering standards.

It can be a bit impersonal at times, since it is a large organization and during my tenure things tended to advance in lockstep, by necessity i suppose, but the standards and aspirations of everyone involved are noble and there is a culture of constant improvement, with plenty of opportunities for people to take on new challenges. The organization and its leadership consistently show courage in seeking out the biggest challenges in the field and giving it their all. The compensation and benefits were competitive and evaluations were always focused on how to help people improve and achieve more satisfaction from their work.
workplace culture
6th grade English Teacher (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 15, 2017
I really enjoy the people that I work with. My co-workers are kind, helpful and hard working individuals that believe in the power of education. All of my co-workers are highly proficient in their craft. I feel like I can connect with them on personal and professional level.
Green Dot is a great place to work if your primarily concerned with money/benefits.
Special Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNApril 18, 2017
I had great colleagues. Workplace culture would have been positive if school culture related to students was not so difficult. Children were beyond disrepectful. Managing classes became more and more difficult as the school year progressed and children realized that there were no real consequence (or non that they cared about) for inappropriate behavior. It became a "free for all" where kids developed an attitude that basically said "I can do whatever I want, and there is nothing that anyone can/will do about it". If you know kids, then you know that is a recipe for chaos in a school. That is what we had on a daily basis, chaos!
Pros
Excellent benefits and compensation. Instructional PD is also awesome.
Cons
There is no discipline for students. They run the school. Teachers are on there own in that area.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Green Dot Public Schools. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.8InHerSight Score

2.4Personal Development

3.5Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Green Dot Public Schools Reviews by Location