Green Dot Public Schools Pay & Benefits reviews

Stressful and detrimental to youth
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNJune 7, 2019
A typical day consists of me coming in, not knowing what is going despite reading the emails. Instructional leads and/or curriculum specialist offer no guidance but yet you can get put on a "plan"...you improve or lose your job. They also lacked the credentials and experience to come into your classroom and tell you anything. Also the students were extremely disrespectful, with no consequences. Adults were held more accountable for student behavior.The system is basically set up for them to work a dead end job, go to jail or death. Being that I am very passionate about what I do it disturbed me to be a part of the problem so therefore I had to leave. The few students and adults who actually cared were drained of all of their energy from the poor school culture. Admin isn't any better, the experienced admins left mid year or worked a year or two and left. And lastly there is plenty of unnecessary paperwork. I would recommend Green Dot only for the insurance benefits.
Productive Environment
Chemistry Teacher (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 9, 2018
Hard work due to student population but rewarding

A typical day was fast paced in-order to keep the environment with students safe.

Great Assistant Principal for my mentor.
Pros
Great Mentors for incoming teachers
Cons
They do not count teaching years before your credential for salary rting.
Fast-paced
Classified Staff (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 18, 2018
All in all this company is great at providing resources and training for new employees. Have transition into different roles within the company and definitely any employee needs to be "Team Strong" and always go above and beyond your job description. There are always new projects that need to be completed and other tasks constantly on your plate. Definitely a fast-paced environment. Compensation is not great but benefits are definitely a plus.
Pros
Working with students
Cons
Salary
Stressful but with employees willing to help, communication could be better among administrators, lack of consistency and resources for teachers.
Spanish Teacher (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNMay 8, 2018
The administrators are there for the right reasons and are willing to help as much as possible, but may not have the resources available to help. The teachers I worked with were great. Discipline is definitely an issue and sometimes not always supported like it should be. Great salary and benefits, and other employees are always willing to help with what they can.
Pros
great salary, good work environment among teachers
Cons
not many resources or much help with discipline issues
Gdps work
Director of Student Services (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNSeptember 13, 2017
A typical day at work is fast paced and requires for you to be focused and goal centered. I have improved in learning how to manage my personal schedule and support my direct reports in managing their schedule. The hardest part of the job is working to meet the needs of the student population but they are the most enjoyable part of the job as well. I appreciate that Green Dot is student centered and decisions are made with them in mind as the key stakeholders.
Pros
great staff, student-centered, competitive compensation and benefits
Cons
long days
Green Dot Public School is a Passionate and Inspiring Place to Work
Payroll Associate (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 3, 2017
I love working at Green Dot Public Schools, it's a non profit organization that has plenty of opportunities to mentor and volunteer at the schools.

They have a excellent work culture with a work/home balance.

Since they are a non profit organization, salary ranges are slightly low but if you take time to volunteer you are giving to communities that are in need.
Pros
free staff lunches every few months
Cons
traffic
Productive and fun workplace
Senior Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 14, 2017
I love the atmosphere and the culture of the company. Being promoted or getting a raise is a very difficult process. The finance department is full of good people
Pros
Good atmosphere and work environment
Cons
Pay is well below market value
A High Quality Charter School Management Organization
Charter High School Principal (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 26, 2017
This is an organization founded to provide a quality education for children and families in the poorest and historically most neglected sections of Los Angeles (and now well beyond Los Angeles) and it has managed to grow consistently while continuing to evolve and improve. Green Dot is a leader and shining example of how to scale up and serve more cities and neighborhoods without lowering standards.

It can be a bit impersonal at times, since it is a large organization and during my tenure things tended to advance in lockstep, by necessity i suppose, but the standards and aspirations of everyone involved are noble and there is a culture of constant improvement, with plenty of opportunities for people to take on new challenges. The organization and its leadership consistently show courage in seeking out the biggest challenges in the field and giving it their all. The compensation and benefits were competitive and evaluations were always focused on how to help people improve and achieve more satisfaction from their work.
Green Dot is a great place to work if your primarily concerned with money/benefits.
Special Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNApril 18, 2017
I had great colleagues. Workplace culture would have been positive if school culture related to students was not so difficult. Children were beyond disrepectful. Managing classes became more and more difficult as the school year progressed and children realized that there were no real consequence (or non that they cared about) for inappropriate behavior. It became a "free for all" where kids developed an attitude that basically said "I can do whatever I want, and there is nothing that anyone can/will do about it". If you know kids, then you know that is a recipe for chaos in a school. That is what we had on a daily basis, chaos!
Pros
Excellent benefits and compensation. Instructional PD is also awesome.
Cons
There is no discipline for students. They run the school. Teachers are on there own in that area.
Good work life balance
Education Pioneers Fellow in Finance (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 28, 2017
Green Dot is an okay company to work for if you are starting out your career or ending your career. There is lack of advancement for mid-management.
Pros
work life balance
Cons
low compensation, no bonuses, lack of career path
Beautiful Vision
Payroll & Benefits HR Generalist (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 14, 2015
Vision and People were great to work with. Watching the kids succeedd is priceless. Growing and more accessibility for the kids to get a good education
Pros
Free Benefits
Cons
Los Angeles
Green Dot overworks the teachers and the union is very soft.
teacher (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 10, 2013
If you are single this is a good place to start working, but it is very unfriendly to families. The union cannot support you the way a public school union can.
Pros
good wages good teachers
Cons
terrible teaching contract and bad work conditions-mice/rats/roaches in classrooms, lights and phones not fixed for months on end.