GREEN MOUNTAIN ENERGY COMPANY Employee Reviews

Borderline creepy work environment but coworkers were amazing
Sales/Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 7, 2019
Green Mtn. Energy was interesting place to work say the least.. although it didn't even have a consistent location. Work spots varied all over Manhattan and Brooklyn, and compensation was all commission-based.
Fun Place to Work
Tean Lead (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 17, 2018
Commision sales can be filled with all kinds of stress. This job however presented an opportunity to sell something that I am very passionate about. It's a great place to be a salesman.
Deceiving Company
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  PhiladelphiaOctober 12, 2018
There is no paid training, however there is a 75 dollar on boarding fee that will come out your first check. The manager dodged me about my training pay everytime I asked. Look up the actual company too, Green Mountain Energy, they’ve got tons of bad reviews. Do you really wanna work for a scamming company? They pretty much train you how to get around people.
Also it’s not 16 an hour. The job is door-to-door and commission based only.
Pros
Commission is 70 dollars per sign.
Cons
No hourly pay, no training pay like it says, deceitful coworkers
Decent but inconsistent Pay.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 10, 2018
Green Mountain is an energy company that provides wind and solar energy to NYC residents that have Con-Edison. I enjoy working there, but pay can be inconsistent as its 100% commission.
Pros
Good money if you're good at sales, flexible schedule
Cons
%100 Commission
Easy going sales job where you make own hours
Sales Agent (Former Employee) –  Hudson Valley, NYMay 22, 2018
- Car needed
- Dive a lot
- Hard to make sales
- Winter season is rough

Good job for entry level sales experience. Make own hours and get to work outside.
Family Environment
Business Account Specialist (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXFebruary 7, 2018
My job was mostly fun and rewarding. The relationships I developed with my customers was special. I was empowered to make decisions based on customer needs.
Pros
Rewarding job
Cons
The reward dissappeared when micro-management style was introduced
Abilty to work at home on projects, increasing salary based on merit
Coordinator Vendor Operations (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXJune 7, 2017
All work was done remotely with sales associates located in other parts of the country via email. I became very adept at self time management and working with the schedules of others. Very hands-off management style with little tolerance for errors.
Pros
rewards for completing application submittals on time and correct
Cons
indifferent direct management rarely communicated anything but criticism
Sales positions, If you have a choice, go elsewhere
Sales (Former Employee) –  TXMay 19, 2017
Flexibility is great. That's about it. Keep REALLY good track of your sales and make sure you're actually paid on them. No transparency about anything here.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
no chance of advancement. a lot of luck involved with locations they send you to.
Its really self-oriented, training is poor
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDFebruary 22, 2017
It's definitely not for everyone, the pay is commission and if you don't get sales they pay minimum for hours, the sales training was poor, the separation from management does not influence positive success in sales. In the end of the day you are on your own, if you're comfortable with standing for hours outside/inside, training yourself, and motivating yourself then the job is perfect for you.
Having team leaders in diffrent states contacting you via mobile on the daily and rarely in person really doesn't help keep consistent energy and momentum in the work environment.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Pay, poor training, poor management
No good
Sales Agent (Former Employee) –  TexasAugust 12, 2015
The management with my manager was not good always overspending the budget which cause our office to close up. Was not a good environment
Great People, Great Opportunity
Event Marketing/Sales (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 7, 2015
Commission based pay structure, so it's up to you how much money you make. Set your own schedule. Work cool events. Meet new people. Great part-time job.
Pros
Great earning potential
Cons
Sometimes you don't make much money
Work hard play hard
Events Setup Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New YorkApril 6, 2015
Work was hard, but there was a lot of camaraderie and many rewards. You had the opportunity to enter the renewable energy market which is a growing area. Good luck
Good only as a starter job
Sales Rep (Former Employee) –  McAllen, TexasAugust 23, 2014
The management, training and the people I worked with were great however what killed it for me were the people I had to come in contact with in order to get a sale from them and the low pay that came along with it. Not everyone was qualified to sign up with Green Mountain as they had bad credit. Out of the 10 people that I signed up, only 1 or 2 qualified. Too many poor people with bad credit in my sales area.
Pros
You gain experience dealing with people
Cons
Travel, low pay, commission is not guaranteed, nasty and stupid customers.
Forward thinking company working to better the environment
Field Lead Agent (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 27, 2014
Progressed from sales agent tabling to sell renewable energy at store fronts, events and farmers markets to managing a team of ten sales agents.
Short sales cycle stopping prospects and conveying to them the benefits of choosing a premium electricity product to avoid carbon dioxide emissions.
Top sales agent second quarter 2013.
Work with a group of individuals who look to better the environment and the world we live in.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Part time, No benefits
Difficult but Rewarding
Field Sales Agent, Retail & Events (Former Employee) –  Westchester, NYFebruary 26, 2014
Having never had a sales position prior to this, working at Green Mountain provided me with insight into the difficulties of face-to-face sales. My time at the company strengthened my interpersonal skills and allowed me to gain insight into the regulatory issues facing the energy industry. I am grateful to have worked alongside a company that strives to change the way energy is made in this country.
Great benefits, no room to grow
Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXDecember 23, 2013
I was with this company for over three years.

The culture there is fantastic. There were frequent gatherings and events. Of course, much changed after the merger with a larger parent company, but enough remained that it was a pleasant place to dedicate my time. Earth Day celebrations, employee competitions, creative outlets and more.

The focus on green energy was very apparent before the buyout. We were all steeped in knowing that what we did every day was changing the world. However, after the buyout, it was obvious that the company was simply greenwashing for a major energy corporation, and the actual impact of our efforts felt very diminished.

In the time I was there, I saw one person move from a supervisory position to management, and two people move from entry level to supervisory positions. This is not what was promised to any of us.

While touted as room for growth at hiring, I saw the whole structure set for stagnation of employees. There were not enough steps along the path to promotion. On my team alone, we lost all but one team leads, and no one was ever named to replace them. Everything was left to the department manager, and his right and man.

I am not bitter, the day to day work environment was pleasant, and the overall tone of every level of employee from top to bottom was very approachable.

In the end, I would return to work with them again if the opportunity arose, but I would negotiate harder at the onset, and know that it might take years to take a step up the ladder.
Pros
Frequent breakfast tacos, regualr celebrations. Open dialogue among the entire strata.
Cons
No room to grow, talented people not encouraged to come to their full potential.
Management that cares
Sales agent (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 10, 2013
Commission work means you can potentially earn a lot on one shift, but can just as easily talk yourself blue in the face and not earn a penny or even lose money if you paid for parking. Sometimes working outside can be unpleasant but most shifts are coordinated for the weather. Western Pennsylvania also means you run into a lot of climate change deniers who are just looking to argue and tell you you are wrong and will waste your time.

The management is among the friendliest and most encouraging I've met. A very socially responsible, green company.
Pros
very social work, great management, independence
Cons
commission based pay, weather
Remittance Specialist (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 20, 2013
Work hours 7am - 4pm
Management Team was upfront and easy to talk to.
The hardest part of the job was proven that some misapplied payments could not be posted to an account.
I enjoyed researching customer's missing payments.
Pros
free lunch during month-end, 20 days of PTO
Cons
company went public
productive
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Copperas CoveMay 4, 2013
fast-paced environment. If decided to work here you have to have a lot of patients dealing with customers. I enjoyed my co-worker and I loved my manager.
Energy Company sellsman
Sales Agent (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 19, 2013
Great customers with great customer service
I learned to speak out and approach customers the right way.
Management was a ok experience, not much helpful, but they do let you do Self training.
Co-workers were remarkable and great team members.
Hardest part was making the sells and making them go through successfully.
The most enjoyable part was being at different events and talking to a lot of different new people. Talking with families and discussing their energy with them.
Pros
great experience
Cons
commision based, horrible management