Green Plains Inc. Employee Reviews

Best job I’ve had
Process Operator (Current Employee) –  Lakota, IAApril 19, 2018
Relaxed environment. Work isn’t bad for the pay. Management is great. Very fun place to work and coworkers are always happy. Stellar benefits. Swing shift isn’t the best but the rotation is nice and easy to adjust to. Lots of variety in your Work so you’re not always doing the same thing.
Pros
Work half of the year, many opportunities for promotion
Cons
Swing shift
Process Operator (Former Employee) –  Mt. Vernon, INApril 4, 2018
I wouldn’t recommend the green plains mt Vernon Indiana plant to anyone management is absolutely horrible and they treat you like your less than human. Your expected to work your butt off and do loads and loads of work for only 18.50 an hour !
Cons
It was a fun, but dangerous experience.
Hydroblast Technician (Former Employee) –  IowaJanuary 17, 2018
To many ways to kill yourself, and or others with this job. It needs a serious personal safety over haul plus new wage compensation for me to ever come back to it.
Pros
Free breakfast plus lunch.
Cons
personal safety issues
Productively fast paced environment with free breakfast Friday
Human Resources Generalist (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEJanuary 7, 2018
Very fast paced, but laid back atmosphere. Some micromanaging goes on at times, but for the most part, you are allowed to become a business partner with other departments and make your own decisions.
Pros
health benefits, free friday breakfasts, many perks
Cons
cold office space in winter months
It was fun working at this company
Doing hydro Blasting cleaning Ethanol tanks.. (Former Employee) –  Urbandale, IAJanuary 2, 2018
this is a great company, it just that the management at that time was very bad they didn't know how to treat their employee the manager at that time was very bad.
Great management!
Scale House Operator (Former Employee) –  Bluffton, INNovember 30, 2017
I was a temp seasonal and was treated GREAT!
I never felt any different and felt very appreciated.
Great hours and worked Monday-Friday. Got to know drivers/farmers and learned a lot about scaling corn.
Pros
One of the crew
Cons
temp-seasonal job
Great place to work with very friendly people.
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Bluffton, INNovember 15, 2017
Very good place to work. This company takes care of their employees. Excellent benefits and the pay is average for our area. We work some overtime occasionally, and typically have two shutdowns per year.
Pros
Benefits, Pay, Lunches + many more
Cons
Really isnt one
Awful Management
Employee (Former Employee) –  Shenandoah, IANovember 5, 2017
Unethical practices. Employee morale is very low. Absolutely no communication between management and employees. You are only a number is this company.
Benefits
Cons
Everything else
Absolutely horrible to work for
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Madison, ILOctober 21, 2017
If your looking for a career in ethanol, try any of the other companies in the area before you apply here! This company purchased our facility and have made every single employee hate their job. I have never seen so many people quit so fast
Pros
Still trying to find one
Cons
Everything about Green Plains Renewable Energy
Production first...employee second
Process Operator (Former Employee) –  Wood River, NESeptember 30, 2017
Over all the company is a great place to work. The management needs some work. I worked there for almost 4 years and only received a $1.04 raise over that period of time. The company is more about making money...then taking care of its employees.
Very fast paced workplace
Sr maintenance tech (Former Employee) –  Riga, MIJuly 16, 2017
Excellent employer takes good care of employees and takes pride in training and improving skills take time to teach and better employees free lunches regularly
Pros
Honest caring people
Cons
Nature of job machinary failure
Encouraged micromanagement
Corporate Office Employee (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEJuly 10, 2017
If it says you must work independently, you might, but you will be micromanaged at a high level. Following the chain of command does nothing to get your voice heard. Overall, a really bad experience with a company I thought had better things to offer.
Pros
Fellow staff and free meals from time to time
Cons
Unreasonable expectations and poor training
They seem to be a company moving backwards. Bosses don't seem invested in their employees.
Worker (Former Employee) –  United StatesJuly 7, 2017
My company got bought out by them and they came in and immideately decided to remove the updated technology we had just upgraded to and inexplicably opted to go back to the much more inefficient system we had before.
Process Operator (Former Employee) –  Hopewell, VAJuly 5, 2017
it was a great place to work .i would tell a friend . there work life balance is great an pay is good all along with good benefits. Mangers an staff are very helpful
Poor management .
Just here (Current Employee) –  Ord, NEMarch 11, 2017
Poor management.
And the sad part is they won't listen.
If you don't kiss butt
or be all buddy buddy, it's hard to get along.
We have leads that are lazy, and workers try being the lead. It's not a hard job, just no standards. Co-workers always lazy and putting work on everyone else!
I could ramble on and on but in a nut shell, POUR MANAGER SKILLS , INCLUDING LAB MANAGER!
Pros
Pay/Insurance
Cons
Pour management
Terrible Management
Cattle Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Kismet, KSNovember 26, 2016
Little experience with corporate office, but direct management at Supreme Cattle Feeders treats new employees very unfairly and will get rid of you if you don't fit in.
Very shady work practices
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Madison County, ILNovember 2, 2016
Came in and fired half of the staff. Didn't just fire management upon taking over the new facility, but without warning bought the company and fired everyone after not even communicating with the employees.
Na
Process Safety Administrator (Former Employee) –  Fergus Falls, MNSeptember 14, 2016
It would be ok job if the replace the micro manager. They have lots of good online training not to much that has to do with the type of work you do.
Pros
Na
Cons
Na
Environmental and Safety Manager
EHSS Manager (Current Employee) –  Atkinson, NEAugust 7, 2016
I usually start my day off talking to the employees about what when on during the weekend or the night shift. I have learned about in the last 6 months about different types of air permit and how to properly send information to the state. I have also learned a lot about different reports that need to go out during different parts of the year. The hardest part of my job is remembering how the different criteria that deals with air permits. I love this job because I am keeping the environment clean and keeping the company employees safe.
not a bad place to work for . could improve some areas
Instrument Technician and Industrial Electrician (Current Employee) –  Hereford, TXJune 23, 2016
my day is usually busy with pm's most of our equipment is new , so not a lot of trouble,hardest part of our job is troubleshooting, when things go bad they get really bad . other than that it is very eazy
Pros
eazy going managers
Cons
not enough challenge

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Green Plains Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.