Greenbrier Companies Employee Reviews

Don’t work in Rail
Welder/Fitter (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORAugust 8, 2018
Working on the marine side of the plant wasn’t bad. Work load was reasonable and pay was acceptable comparatively.

On the rail side it’s a different story. You get paid a daller less than in marine expected to work three times as hard and ten hours a day, six days a week. The company can’t hire any experienced people because of this so every time there’s a layoff it’s mostly new employees that come back.
Pros
Experience
Cons
Work hours, pay
Poor place to work
Machinest (Current Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAJuly 22, 2018
Working at green brier rail was awful the management didn't care about quality or safety the quality manager knew that's we would skip steps in the process of work and didn't care the manager would make sure we skipped step just to produce more wheel sets
Pros
Cons
Cant take lunch breaks
Good company
Inbound and RIP track inspections and repairs (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 16, 2018
It was a very worthwhile company, until there was a change in the local management. Other than that all of us (employees) worked well together and were very profitable.
Pros
Great crew
Cons
Slave work all about production
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Chicago Heights, ILJune 22, 2018
No safety training very dangerous work, AVOID AT ALL COSTS. If you can kiss butt you may have a chance to make below average wages other wise close to minimum wage.
Pros
Cons
Hot sweat shop mandatory overtime forced
Short hours in the summer, 60-77 hours in the winter.
Machine Operator B (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WAMay 22, 2018
Overall good company but during the winter season your family forgets who you are. To be sick is not allowed, you have to call in prior to someone answering the phone.
Pros
Good employees
Cons
No life outside of work.
Good back required lol
Class A Carman (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ORMay 21, 2018
Intense work environment but satisfying as well. Great place to learn and grow into the rail road field,plenty of learning experience's. Take a look and try it for yourself
Pros
good pay
Cons
hard work
great place to work
Welder/Body Line Inspector (Former Employee) –  Red Oak, IAMay 19, 2018
I had a great experience working for this company. Fast paced and great pay. Scheduled reviews and raises that were always punctual and fair. I would recommend this job to anyone looking for a good job in welding
Pros
good pay, great hours and good staff
Cons
physical work
Good people from around same area
Machinist (Former Employee) –  Lewistown, PAApril 27, 2018
I worked for Greenbeir for 2 plus years and was laid off. I enjoyed my time with them and the people I worked with was the reason for that. Now with saying that, The new management is completely a company man thru and thru. Also has shows favoritism to the people that he deals with out of work and on social network. To me it seem as if it did not matter how hard you worked if you were not in good graces then you were on the block. Made for a toxic work place. Now that said the middle management was great to work for. All which came from the work floor to the positions they held and had a understanding of how the business was to operate to make to profits needed to keep people employed. All in all I would have to thank the company for keeping me feed for those years and not making it a place where you dreaded getting up and coming to.
Pros
the people and pay
Cons
addvancement and raises
Good place to learn about repair work.
Welder (Former Employee) –  Cleburne, TXApril 16, 2018
Good place to learn how to perform various repair jobs and how to learn how to weld and also how to operate different types of fork truck as well as various types of machinery and tools.
One of my favorite jobs
Railcar Repairman (Former Employee) –  Topeka, KSApril 15, 2018
The job was very exciting. Working on rail cars. I learned a lot from this job. The only reason I left this job was for more money. Management worked with you to help you advance as far as you could.
Pros
work review faithfully every six months
Cons
Pay
Typical day at greenbrier
Foreman-Machine Operator CNC (Former Employee) –  Chicago Heights, ILApril 12, 2018
work place culture was poor.The hardest part about the job was trying to getting everybody on board and be a team. I learned how to be a team leader. Stay out of the every day drama. There was no form of structure as far as the management team.The most enjoyable part of the job was getting payed for my hard work. They over worked everybody and didn't appreciate there employees there.
manufacturing enviroment
Human Resource Generalist (Former Employee) –  Red Oak, IAMarch 27, 2018
Enjoyed my position as HR Generalist, working and providing employees with information regarding any issues, regarding benefits, 401K, Work Comp issues, safety.
Day of work: approving time card entries, making corrections
Learned: ADP payroll reporting
Management: worked with management to obtain new employees for open position
Workplace culture: most employees cared and worked to make the company produce a profit and a great place to work
Hardest part of job: obtaining employees with the skills for the company
Most enjoyable part of job: Helping employees
Benefits
Great little Company to work for
SYSTEMS ENGINEER (Former Employee) –  Lake Oswego, ORFebruary 21, 2018
I worked information technology on this job and there was always something new going on. They are a very family oriented company and a tight knit group. The pay is not great but the trade off is a fantastic place to work.
Wonderful place to work
Forklift Driver/ UT Operator (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSFebruary 16, 2018
Wonderful place to work, very helpful supervisors, very nice branch manager....Staff is always willing to help with family matters as well as personal matters.
It was a good place to work
Purchasing (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZFebruary 7, 2018
It was a good job. I would not have left if the company has not planned on moving out of state. While at Greenbrier I learned, for the first time, shipping, ordering, receiving materials on a large scale
Good Place to get your foot in the Railroad Industry
Laborer Worker 3 (Former Employee) –  San Bernardino, CASeptember 14, 2017
All around good place to work, to learn roles played in the railroad industry , company offers lots of overtime. If you are a newer employee , job security is slim to none during lay offs not due to production but due to seniority.
Pros
Lot of Overtime
Cons
Lack of Notice of unexpected work hours / days
Assembly
Assembly Technician (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaSeptember 8, 2017
I don't wish to provide a review at this time. I had a great experience there and did assembly work and the team was helpful to train me in assembly and certify me in bearing repair.
Amazing
Welder (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORAugust 1, 2017
I loved Gunderson great company grate people. I made some very good friends. Great leadmen very supportive and they help you learn the traid. I would go back if I had the chance.
Best job I ever had!
Carman/Welder (Former Employee) –  Golden, COJuly 20, 2017
This is an awesome job to have! good people , with respectable management and administration. great benefits and lots of learning opportunities. Very kind and welcoming work environment,
Best of the Best
Human Resource Generalist (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZJuly 7, 2017
i worked there for 16 years it was so sad to see it end i worked very hard and learned everything i know now. we all started there with little or no experience and learned a whole lot. they moved out of Arizona. and opened up in California. it is a great place to work and get lots of training.
Pros
Large Company
Benefits