Greenpeace Employee Reviews

Great organization, Pay could be better
Organizer Contract Position, Greenpeace (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 31, 2018
I love this organization and there were many great perks about working here. The people in this organization are amazing. The pay could be better, I barley earned enough to pay my bills and I could not even pay them all. $20 an hour not bad, but it's expensive to live in the bay area where their office is located, so the pay could be better.
demanding job
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMarch 23, 2018
this was a demanding job with unrealistic expections of how much money they wanted you to raise and how many new members you needed to join the cause. If you didnt get the amount that they wanted you were put on probation for a week and if you still did not meet their expections they would fire you for not meeting thier unrealistic expections of wanting to get an amount of $850, and get at least 8 to 10 new members with a minimum of $50 and maximum of at least $300
Pros
worked outside
Cons
no benifits
Canvassing Inclusively
Recruitment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 4, 2018
With Greenpeace, we canvassed on city blocks and door to door. I learned a lot about connecting with people on a personal level and how to exchange care or energy for membership to a company that will actively positively affect the member's concern. The management was great. They were very relaxed and gave a lot of space for us to canvass in our own way. They were very helpful and like mentors in a sense to the newest persons working. The environment was amazing, they were considerate of pronouns as well as impact versus intent in interpersonal miscommunications. The hardest part was leaving. And the most enjoyable part was showing up everyday.
Pros
Paid travel
Cons
Quota
Fast paced mission oriented setting
Payroll Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 2, 2018
A typical day at work at Greenpeace involved contacting over 15 different office locations to retrieve payroll information for Direct Dialogue employees. These individuals were paid varying rates dependent on the number of donors enlisted. Processing payroll for full-time salaried employees and campaigners traveling the globe on GP ships.
Pros
comraderie when missions completed
Cons
low pay if not in management
Good work environment
Community Organizer (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 26, 2018
I met a lot of really cool people that helped me with my sales and communication skills. It was a very friendly place to work. The managers always helped with any problems the employees had.
Pros
friendly
if youre a scammer it is the right place for you
Brand Ambassador/Canvasser (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 18, 2017
i worked as a canvasser but it is sales oriented you need to charge and scam people, get their credit card numbers and charge 50 dollars a month. they let you go if you dont get a certain amount of members
so its always about money
Pros
greenpeace shirt
Cons
goals and sales oriented
Encouraging Team
Frontline Canvasser (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 4, 2017
At GreenPeace there is a lot of support amongst the team. We encourage each other to sell and sign up members so collectively we could help create environmental protection regulations
Get the feeling of changing the world
Activist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 19, 2017
If you are thick skinned and able to take constant rejection for hours at a time, if you are persistent and passionate about what the company stands for, you just might be able to walk away every day with a sense that you effectively made the world a better place
Effectively kind
Volunteer Production Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 16, 2017
I had the opportunity of defending a cause while working with people form all over the world in a very peaceful and organize environment.i worked with people from many countries and had had to show the ship to visitors and possible collaborators.
Pros
great people
Cons
temporary job
Greenpeace Canvasser
Canvasser (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAOctober 16, 2017
I worked as a canvasser at Greenpeace San Diego. I was part of a team that would go door-to-door speaking with the public about the work Greenpeace is doing and requesting contributions. It is a great way to obtain experience at a non-profit organization and network with environmentally conscious people. The job requires odd working hours (nights and weekends). A great job, except that you are expected to reach a weekly signup quota so job security is nonexistent.
Pros
Working towards a great cause, super progressive and inclusive culture, gets you out into the world and interacting with the public
Cons
Requires working nights and weekends, no job security, can be stressful especially for introverts
Really fun people to work with
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 14, 2017
It's canvassing . Canvassing is hard. But the people you meet, their values... top notch. It's $15 an hour if you become a staff member by passing their training. But I'd work there for the culture. Unfortunately, it's not easy to work at a place with poor job security, and canvassers who don't make quota get booted. It's how the job works.

Those are my two cents.
Good Experience as Temp
Funds Collection (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 14, 2017
Green Peace is an organization that's dedicated to preserving natural planetary assets. If the world had more money than it knew what to do with it clearly would be preserving the richest of the natural wonders that our planet has (that cannot be recovered once gone). Green Peace is dedicated to achieving this kind of preservation within the constraints of its budget.

Rainforests in Indonesia and Latin America account for something like 20% of the different species on the planet within a small geographical area and their deforestation is a huge and wasteful problem (small companies looking for cheap sources of paper etc.).

The work itself is easy, you just knock on doors of past donors and get them to sign up again for a regular monthly donation schedule. If you're efficient, this job pays well and doesn't take that much time.
Pros
good pay, relaxed environment, good causes
Company makes you feel like we are a family
Accounting Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 21, 2017
Working at Greenpeace has been a wonderful experience. It has show me that they are more than just an environmental advocate but world advocate for any one or thing that effects the world negatively.
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Cons
Some long hours
Fun but need work
Canvasser (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 12, 2017
No sick day compensation

No safety in the streets

Management is always available though so thats a big plus

just didnt like it as a whole and honestly would not go back
Pros
lunch time is consistant
Cons
outside for too long
Great office culture, gratifying work
Frontline Canvasser (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 12, 2017
Working for Greenpeace helped me build my communication skills while also educating the public on issues I'm passionate about. The office culture is wonderful and there are plenty of opportunities to travel.
Great Company
Manager Trainer/ Salesmen (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJuly 8, 2017
Very fun, Very honorable, quite reliable, friendly people, great salary. Helps out the community, animals, and planet. Very safe and educatioal. Please help support them
Great way to have a relaxed environment and build people skills
Sales Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJune 8, 2017
Canvassing for greenpeace was my first step into sales. It taught me the sales basics: keep people saying yes, don't stop at a no, don't take it personally.
Fun but demanding job
Frontline Canvasser (Current Employee) –  St. Petersburg, FLMay 15, 2017
The pay is good, the culture is generally pretty cool, but the work life balance and job security are a little dicey. Your manager's ideas about canvassing go a long way in how they influence the operating procedures in your office.
Great Organization, Great People, Room to Improve
City Coordinator (Former Employee) –  USAFebruary 23, 2017
I would not trade my years with Greenpeace for anything. I learned an incredible amount of skills, met an amazing array of beautiful people, and overcame challenges I never knew I could. The organization, its people, and its mission are incredible. Many improvements regarding inter-organizational communication, compensation, and equity were implemented during my time there. Ultimately, I feel that Greenpeace still needs to make improvements to worker sustainability and work/life balance, as well as avoiding pitfalls of a corporate structure to achieve more success in retaining talented staff.
fun workplace!
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAFebruary 1, 2017
a dedicated management team! a fun, and inspiring atmosphere with good people to work with! I enjoyed my time working for Greenpeace, and met a lot of good people through the work.
Pros
promotes relationships with/within the community.
Cons
imbalance in compensation for travel expenses.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Greenpeace. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score

3.3Personal Development

4.1Career Opportunities

3.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight