Greenpeace Employee Reviews

Good green work
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORDecember 3, 2018
This is a canvassing/fundraising position, a typical day is either walking door to door or canvassing on a sidewalk thanking current members and signing members up for monthly donations.
At its best, this job is about making genuine connections, empowering activism, and educating the public. I've learned some important communication skills, as well as management and motivation skills.
The opportunity for advancement is huge if you work hard. People move up quickly in the org if they are passionate, feedback is taken well by managment, and the company culture is extraordinarily supportive.
Job security is a little shaky because you must meet quota to be retained, but quota is set at a reasonable amount and as long as you are willing to work hard and develop skills you can stay on a long time.
The hardest parts of the job are quota and bad interactions, but they are outweighed by meeting amazing people and doing meaningful work.
Greenpeace is Great, Frontline is not for everyone.
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 3, 2018
Greenpeace is a wonderful organization with a strong mission and purpose. I am happy to go to work for such an organization every day. The Frontline culture though differs drastically. The lack of job security is extremely stressful. If you can make it to three months, the benefits are amazing. Office culture varies office to office and is very dependent on existing staff and management. I really appreciate the attention to training. To be a canvasser one must be very able to handle lots of rejection constantly and stay extremely positive and energetic. Most days are fun, but lots of days I end up crying because I care so much about the work that the money is going towards.
Best job I've ever had
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Denver, CODecember 3, 2018
The job as a canvasser is not for everyone. For me, it has been a huge confidence booster because now that I can successfully do something I thought I would never be able to do, I feel I can do anything I want.

The benefits are better than any other workplace in America.

The job culture is incredibly friendly.

Sometimes management will hire newer less experienced people for higher up positions rather than people who have been dedicated to the cause and are way more experienced to manage. They do this to avoid nepetism and to promote inclusiveness which is progressive in some ways and not helpful to the organization in other ways.
City Coordinator
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  CADecember 3, 2018
Greenpeace provides all walks of life the opportunity to inspire the community around you to take a stand against corporations who find value in profiting off of destroying the planet and all living creatures on it. My brief 5 and a half years with Greenpeace have taught me to remain inspired and resilient during imperative times. Management is and always will be incredibly supportive. We build a culture of receiving and giving supportive feedback. We also create a very diverse, inclusive, and equitable culture for all individuals. The hardest part of the job would probably be learning the ability to deal with quite a bit of rejection but that comes with time and teaches you life skills. The best part of the job is being part of a movement that is actively challenging the systems of power that oppress the plant and its inhabitants.
Great place to work if you are familiar with the issues & want to help bring awareness.
Recruiter (Current Employee) –  CADecember 10, 2018
Management tends to be outgoing and reasonably chill. Canvassing is tough but it’s also kind of fun, especially when you know and care about the issues. You work with and meet new people who also care and want to help. Job security depends on meeting quota which can be stressful but if you’re good, the pay & benefits are good. Schedule can change at the last minute so it helps if you’re flexible.
Tour the various malls of San Diego and talk with all different types of folks
Frontliner (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 16, 2018
Go to office, receive a training on how to perfect your pitch, leave office, go to a mall and dance around, sometimes people stop and talk, sometimes they don't, if they stop that's great. You talk to them about various environmental issues, you ask them to donate, they make an excuse of why they can't, you say "Are you sure", maybe they sign up, more often they don't. You do that for 6 hours a day and then you go home.
You must do this well on a weekly basis or you will be "let go". Office culture is stressful but the people are really nice and interesting. Management seems to be lacking. Clear divide between upper management and canvassers.
But if you like mall music you'll love this job.
Pros
Fun and engaging
Cons
Stressful
Personal Growth is Guaranteed
Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLDecember 3, 2018
The best part of this job is working with people who care about this planet and humanity as a global family. We are on the cutting-edge of saving this planet's natural resources, wildlife and working for social justice. Because the deeper values include equality, diversity and inclusion there is a wide variety of people within the work force and everyone is respected and valued for their uniqueness. When I started this job over two years ago, the review that helped me the most stated: "This is the hardest job I've ever had, but the best group of people I've ever worked with." Job security is not something that comes easily for a Greenpeace canvasser, but it is possible with practice, focus and dedication. If you stick around, personal growth is guaranteed. Although the job is challenging, there is more ongoing support provided than any other workplace I've ever experienced. We all help and support each other as family, and make enduring friendships. Greenpeace takes good care of its people with great benefits.
Great Organization!
Recruiting Specialist (Current Employee) –  NYDecember 3, 2018
I started working for Greenpeace in New York City in 2013. I was immediately taken with the inclusive, positive atmosphere. I worked as a campaign fundraiser on the street in New York, eventually worked my way up within the organization to a national position. There is ample room for growth and development within the organization if you work hard!
Inspiring work environment for a critical cause
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WADecember 10, 2018
Greenpeace is by and large the most supportive work environment I have ever been a part of. This is an organization that will begin to invest in you the moment you step through the door. It is rare to find such an authentic, transparent workplace with strong ethics, a concrete mission, and livable compensation. I would recommend Greenpeace to anyone who cares about the environmental justice movement and is seeking a dynamic and inspiring culture.
Good people, good culture and a fantastic cause!
Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORDecember 3, 2018
Fun place to work. Typical day at work is go out and meet people. What I have learned with Greenpeace is that everyone counts! Management is young but eager to be better. The work culture is nice because they exclude nobody. The hardest part of the job is to get past your self and open up to others. The best part of the job is the internal support to do better. This job is not for everyone, but everyone should try it because it is fun.
Greenpeace Canverssor
Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLDecember 3, 2018
This job requires a lot of work, as canvassers we go door to door or on the street talking to people about our campaigns and asking them to get involved with us, and this give us a chance to improve ourselves within the job. I personally used to have anxiety talking to people, but my communication skills improved and now I barely feel anxious while working. We also have training every week to improve our skills, and it helps a lot with the job. The staff in the office are amazing, they're all there for support, it's like a big family. The only thing that can be stressful is not having a job security. As canvassers we're expected to reach a quota every week, but the longer you work the easier it gets to hit the quota.
If you're passionate about the environment, persistent, and have a positive mindset this job would be perfect for you.
Greenpeace Frontline
Senior Team Leader (Current Employee) –  CADecember 3, 2018
A typical day at work looks a little something like this: get up, get inspired and get ready for an eventful day. To succeed at this job you need positivity, passion, patience, and resilience. To thrive here you must have the ability to manage yourself and also take feedback from all angles. Keeping your skills fresh and making sure not to allow yourself to burn out is the magic balance at Greenpeace. Ask for what you need and hold yourself accountable. We have a team culture here so if we want to win the game we all have to come together and keep our activism muscles warmed up through skill sharing and advanced trainings. The hardest part of the job is rejection kid. Accept it and allow it to strengthen you. The best part of he job is the confidence you gain along the way, the family of activist you cultivate during your journey, and the faces of those inspired to take action with you. People power wins and you get to build that foundation for people from all different backgrounds and walks of life.
Quota?
Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 3, 2018
GP is a wonderful company- you know your work is making a positive difference. It is based on quota, which is the biggest downfall. There is leinance (and an increase as you work there longer) but it still doesn’t provide much job security. From what I can tell, once the job is comfortable for you and you’ve had experience, quota is no problem to reach.

Keep that in mind if you apply! It is a welcoming, all inclusive, genuine non-profit organization that has to stay cost effective via the quota system. I appreciate the work I’m able to do via GP and plan to make quota forever ;)
Fast-paced job if you care about the planet
 (Current Employee)December 10, 2018
A very unique job in which you engage with the public and talk about critical environmental issues. This job requires a lot of confidence, persistence, and motivation. Throughout the day, you work with no supervision so you must hold yourself accountable to hit the standard. The office culture varies week to week but overall there are some really cool people. The favorite part about the job is that it is unique and I'm outdoors all the time. My least favorite part is the stress of maintaining the job. This job is way more sustainable for those looking for something short-term.
Senior City Coordinator
Senior Coordinator (Current Employee) –  CADecember 3, 2018
As a Senior City Coordinator, half of the week is sitting at a desk doing strategic planning for the weeks, months going forward. Regarding but not limited to recruitment, hiring, training, administration, leader development, budgeting, ordering resources and keeping the office clean.
I've learned that not many people can do this job, but the ones that can get creative and make it their own. It takes a lot of patience, persistence and positivism.
The culture of Greenpeace is most definitely the best work culture I've ever experienced in my 20 years of working for multiple companies/organizations. Lots of support and everyone treats each other like family.
The hardest part of the job is getting through some of the rough days, being it canvassing and everyone you're interacting with is telling you no. Or needing to let go of employees that you know are very good at the job but unfortunately have a rough few weeks or month.
The best part of the job are when we hit the huge victories and knowing that you were a integral part of that. Like stopping Shell Oil from drilling in the Arctic, or getting KFC to stop sourcing paper products from the Indonesian Rain Forest.
Gp san jose
Senior Coordinator (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CADecember 3, 2018
This is the best place I have worked in a long tome. The job culture is very accepting and I am proud to be here. Typically in san jose we meet at the office then go out knocking on doors. Theres never a dull moment every day is different with new conversations to be had. If you love inspiring others this is the job for you! It pays better then money can because its priceless.
Frontline Representative (Canvasser)
Recruiter (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CADecember 3, 2018
A typical day of entry level work consists of having conversations with strangers, to get them involved with Greenpeace so our incredible environmental advocacy efforts can be even more effective! This is a perfect job for outgoing people that want to feel the change that is being made to make this world a better and breathable earth. In your first months, you will learn SO MUCH about our organization and the work that we are doing to combat the corporations responsible for the majority of the pollution on this earth. We have equity trainings, pitch trainings, response cycle trainings, and in every way we stay true to our mission: exposing issues of unsustainable practices, and providing the solutions for a sustainable future. I love the people in my office, they make the tough moments worth it and they are the best people to celebrate victories with. The hardest part of the job for me is being on my feet all day, but again, the best part is the people I share the day with because they make it enjoyable and they remind me why I need to have faith for our planet. There's no planet B! Get involved with Greenpeace! There's great benefits, savings programs, managers, coworkers, and room for upward mobility. I've only been there for 2.5 months, but I plan to stay for as long as possible.
For the Cause... however...
Canvasser (Former Employee) –  Costa Mesa, CAJuly 6, 2018
The people I worked with were extremely driven and passionate. I loved getting to know everyone who worked there. HOWEVER, this is a SALES JOB! SALES!!! You need to be able to learn how to O-cycle (that is, negotiate with the public to convince them to sign up and be contributors to the organization) AND be comfortable with putting yourself "out there" (getting people to come over to you and talk to you, as well as handling REJECTION). Your job DEPENDS on it! If you don't learn how to successfully sell membership, you are going to flop on your weekly quota goals. If you don't, you are fired. Thankfully, you work in a very supportive group with people who give you strategical talking points that not only motivate you to get those memberships, but also stress the importance of the individual (aka, the potential new member) within grassroots organizing to protect our planet!
Pros
pay
Cons
quota
High turnover rate
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 31, 2018
The turnover rate is high for non office positions (ie canvassing; which is the cornerstone of their organization). For canvassers, there is no job security nor is there sufficient job training to help increase retention. They require a lot from their canvassing teams without being able to provide a lot of support in return.
Pros
Very progressive work environment
Cons
Pressure to perform
Greenpeace means ....
Regional Oceans Research Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Southeast AsiaOctober 16, 2018
Greenpeace stands for green and peaceful future. No matter what campaigns one is passionate about, its global scope and power inspires people to act for a better world. I am proud of working for Greenpeace. Its time well spent and very much rewarding. Work culture is balanced either in office or remote.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Greenpeace. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3

Ratings from women

3.6InHerSight Score

3.3Personal Development

4.1Career Opportunities

3.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight