Greyhound Employee Reviews

drama
Lead Supervisor/Ticket Agent (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVOctober 10, 2018
people are very dramatic and nosey . a lot of people were in other peoples business. customers were crazy. security was limited to safety of workers. management was very caring and understanding.
Pros
easy job face paced
Cons
lack of security
NEW HIRES- PLEASE READ- Very Unprofessional Company!!!
Driver/Operator (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 10, 2018
The hiring process is about one month long- You run back & forth to your hiring terminal doing paperwork & other things at your own expense. The criminal background check is long & strict. Its the reason why many people get hired & quit their previous job thinking they have a job & right before you are scheduled to leave for training, BOOM- You receive a call saying you could not be hired because of your background. Training is about five weeks long- two weeks in class (Class is in Atlanta, Chicago, & other cities I'm not sure of, training is $100/ day, off on Sunday's, Meals are paid for only on training days. Hotel room is covered also). The last three weeks will be on the road driving in your region. You are rushed to get your 120 driving hours which is needed to *plug the board* (which you will learn more about). Once you achieve these hrs. you will be thrown out on the road by yourself with a bus full of passengers. You will drive outside your region before your 90 /day probation (You are not officially a Greyhound employee until AFTER your first 90 days). You will drive in areas that you are not used to driving in & was not properly trained to drive in. There is money to be made mainly if your are on the extra board- YOU REALLY HAVE TO WATCH YOUR MONEY & KEEP UP WITH IT (You will hear this a lot). Work Greyhound, don't let Greyhound work you. You are placed in hotels to get your rest, not all hotels are nice. There are also dorm rooms (in certain areas) that is not so nice neither. You can get called anytime of day or night to pull a schedule (You are ALWAYS on call).  more... They can send your anywhere. When they see that you are new (in black & white) & they know you are new, they give you the worse & longest schedules, things pass over your head because there is a lot that they know you don't know. Some of the dispatchers are very rude. If you don't answer your phone in time they can take you out of service. They basically have just as much authority as your supervisor. In class you are given a lot of misleading info about rules & the job itself. You basically learn as you go (on your own) or when you make a mistake with something you should have been trained about. Many of the trainers STILL needs training themselves & they poorly train you while in the two week training away from home. Majority of the trainers are men. Most of them are perverts who are only there to start sexual relationships with the women students who come from all areas. They have been with greyhound for years & feels as if their job is secured & it is impossible for them to be terminated. This job is not for everybody especially if you have a family & small kids at home. If you have never driven a commercial vehicle before- good luck. Forgive me for my typos:)  less
Pros
Travel, Alot of money to be made.
Cons
Unprofessional Company, Improper training
I enjoyed working at Greyhound.
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 9, 2018
I wouldn't mind driving for Greyhound again. It was like family and I really enjoyed getting people to their destinations safely. I felt a sense of
responsibility to my passengers.
Pros
Everything was steady.
Cons
Being on the road can be hard sometimes, especially when you have a family.
Does not care about their employees
Baggage Handler (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 8, 2018
The management treat us like we are replaceable. I have worked for greyhound for almost a year and yet have missed a day,called out, or been late. Yet I am constantly harassed by my supervisor when I go to the rest room and mistreated as well. The pay rate is low, we receive 11.00 an hour. We asked for raises and had to fight for it for almost six months. Then we received a dollar raise, now I get paid 12.00 an hour. Management also mistreats the drivers, that is why they never have drivers to do the schedules. The buses are always late because of this, the supervisors do not tell the customers anything causing them to get mad at us.
Pros
free bus rides
Cons
no medicaid, no vacations, short breaks, low pay, hectic environment, poor management and unsafe working environment.
Greyhound doesn't care about employees
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Denver, COOctober 5, 2018
This company offers great opportunity for advancement but works you beyond the limit. The pay defiantly is not worth it. They treat their employees terrible with no care in the world.I love the customers and most co-workers. The terminal is bug and mold infested and they don't care. You don't get breaks and they do not provide working refrigerator in the break room. They give you vacation but do not allow you to take it. They are so disorganized and expect things beyond your control. This company supports racism and favoritism. Typical day at work is getting abused by passengers physically due to Greyhound not standing up to their end of providing reliable transportation and good communication.. The ticket agents are being physically abused daily as well as passengers. . Security is unable to physically remove someone if necessary as the "Customer is ALWAYS right." All they care about is getting the money. Upper management doesn't take the time out to address issues that create a hostel environment and work place. It's sad because they have a lot of people who love what they do but get treated like dirt with pay that you can't live on. Fast food pays more. They have lost so many motivated and dedicated employees due to the racism, favoritism, pay and mistreatment.
Pros
Working with the public and the opportunity for advancement.
Cons
no breaks, terrible upper management and abuse at lower then McDonald's pay.
great place
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIOctober 5, 2018
great place to work at its a fun cool laid back job to do you meet so many people that are nice and some times you meet people that are mean you have times where you are busy and times when it is very slow and have nothing to do
Excellent travel opportunity
Driver (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCOctober 2, 2018
not recommended for a married person, but ideal for a single adult seeking a fun adventure with pay and benefits. excitement with meeting new people and travelling to new places.
Pros
free travel
Cons
time away from home and family
My job at Greyhound
Bus Operator• Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 1, 2018
There was too much over the road driving. This job was too much like the truck driving job that I just left. I just did not want to be on the road any longer.
Good place
Luggage Loader/ Laborer (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXSeptember 26, 2018
If you want moments of work and nothing to do then Greyhound works. Didn't like how secure it was because police wouldn't show up sometimes for detainiees
Productive and fun workplace with ping pong table.
BAGGAGE AGENT (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZSeptember 25, 2018
My review of the job I had with Greyhound Lines Inc. is that it is a Positive and fast-paced work environment. Also, is it a fun place to work and the Managment team are great at what they do.
Call Center
Customer Service/Call Center Representative (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 25, 2018
Working at a call center allows you to be an introvert with people and get paid for doing so. The environment at Greyhound call center was very efficient, knowledge and had a lot of integrity. It also provided you an opportunity to grow and to advance. The company even encouraged growth and trained on appropriate behavior when attempting to be promoted.
Pros
Excellent in Integrity
Confusion
driver (Current Employee) –  New York City, NYSeptember 19, 2018
In NYC people do not respond to telephone calls about new employee questions. Start day is moved around in a way they want to. They leave new employees in limbo about when they begin to train. Customer service argues with customers and then blows them off. I am going to write to my Senators and Congressman and the Preseident and the Department of Transportation about this. They are bad to employees and customers.I will give more when I hear from everybody. I never seen no company bad like this.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
office staff, admin, no response to new recruits, no respect for customers, bad scene all the way around
Management has change. Less workers and more work.
City General Manager (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLSeptember 17, 2018
They started to cut on supervisors and employees and the work load got to heavy. They need to revisit and work side by side with the employees that run the floor so they could see reality time spent doing the task the right way. Not in a hurry. When employees are rushing getting things done, it is not SAFE.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Too much work to be done at short time.
Cool
Motor Coach Operator (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 13, 2018
Can be stressful but overall nice place to work. You meet new people, go different places. Get a chance to see the country and get paid. Nice place to work if desired by mind not being home.
Pros
Meeting people
Cons
No cons
Stressful,Disrespected,UNAPPRECIATED!!!
Driver/Operator (Current Employee) –  USASeptember 10, 2018
I have been with the company for 16 years. I have seen it when IT was a great place to work. But NOW its NOT AT ALL. DRIVERS ARE DISRESPECTED BY PASSENGERS AND ALL MANAGEMENT. WE ARE YOU ARE JUST A NUMBER. Pay is good, when they decide to pay you.If you work overtime you MUST fight for your money. If you call off sick you get written up. Management is always hired outside the company with no experience WITH GREYHOUND AND HOW WE WORK. Dispatchers as well. Equipment/busses are in the poorest condition for passengers and drivers. If you BREAKDOWN well I hope you bring food and water because in the desert with 100+ degree weather there is NO SENSE OF URGENCY FROM THE MAINTENANCE DEPARTMENT OR DISPATCHERS. Lets not forget about the dorms/hotel accommodations some of the worst hotels and the dirtiest dorms ever. I have seen drivers leave with 25+ years of safe driving for this company with only a piece of paper and not even a pat on the back. Never home, and NEVER APPRECIATED.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
working for Management that HAS NEVER WORKED FOR GREYHOUND!
Didn't work out I was laid off
Bus attendent (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLSeptember 8, 2018
It's was down town Tampa and alot of homeless people and you going to be have be team player and sometimes it comes with the territory. I am looking forward to seeing what happened
Pros
Hudjdjdj
Cons
Hdhdhdhdh
used to be fun
Ticket Agent (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHSeptember 8, 2018
I used to love working at Greyhound but management has changed. The whole atmosphere is completely different. The employees attitude is poor because of bad management
Pros
love the customers
Cons
Management is not good
Fast paced
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLSeptember 7, 2018
Fast paced hard work but if you need income it's a good place to start.lots of cleaning big buses or maintaining buses if you like work with a team this is a good job for you
Pros
Good money
Cons
Hard work
Not a good job
Ticket Agent (Former Employee) –  Newark njSeptember 5, 2018
Greyhound doesn’t pay enough and they do not care about employees don’t work there and please don’t work in Newark New Jersey mangment gives no benefits and you will not get paid enough to live
No Comment on this
Supervisor Driver Operations and Safety (Current Employee) –  Atlantic City, NJSeptember 4, 2018
This is a very high stressful company to work for in any of its locations. Please review all the customers reviews, ratings and comments on the website for further insight.
Pros
No comment
Cons
No comment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Greyhound. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

1.9InHerSight Score

1.6Personal Development

2.2Career Opportunities

1.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight