Greyhound Employee Reviews

An environment that lacks innovation
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  United StatesJanuary 7, 2019
If you are in management in the field, forget about having a life outside of work. Greyhound does not believe in a Work/Life balance for its field salaried employees.

You will constantly be asked to make something out of nothing. Having the necessary resources to produce will rarely happen.

The culture is negative. I have not met one person in management that actually enjoys their job.

You are expected to work 11+ hour days, Conference calls 7 days a week, and be available 24/7.

ONLY WORK HERE IF YOU HAVE NO OTHER OPTIONS. The pay is decent so many get sucked in.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Absolutely no work/life balance.
Does not care about their employees
Baggage Handler (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 8, 2018
The management treat us like we are replaceable. I have worked for greyhound for almost a year and yet have missed a day,called out, or been late. Yet I am constantly harassed by my supervisor when I go to the rest room and mistreated as well. The pay rate is low, we receive 11.00 an hour. We asked for raises and had to fight for it for almost six months. Then we received a dollar raise, now I get paid 12.00 an hour. Management also mistreats the drivers, that is why they never have drivers to do the schedules. The buses are always late because of this, the supervisors do not tell the customers anything causing them to get mad at us.
Pros
free bus rides
Cons
no medicaid, no vacations, short breaks, low pay, hectic environment, poor management and unsafe working environment.
Productive and fun
GPX Agent/Professional Coach Operator (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNDecember 15, 2018
My typical day started out with inspection of my vehicle. Then, route checks along with the amount of passengers. Load and ticket checks and baggage inspections. I learned how to do 1 -on- 1talks with the guest for new routs. Management was over the top in a lots areas. This was the hardest part of the job because they could or would cancel a drivers trip at any given time if you didn't have a dedicated ruote. But the most enjoyable part or the job was getting to know people in other states and lunch benefits.
Pros
Having a load leader at every stop
Cons
Having a small town w/o an on time responder.
Gret job if you WANT to work
Driver/Operator (Current Employee) –  El Paso, TXAugust 31, 2018
The left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing - management at times attempts to convince drivers to do things they are not required (by contract) to do. If you allow yourself to play that game it's on you.

If you're hungry, there is a lot of money to be made as a driver for this company, descent benefits and greyhound is the standard for training nationwide.

On the negative side - dispatch, and to a lessor degree management, can be painful to communicate with, The hours are long (suck it up, you're paid by the hour) and passengers can be a handful.

On the positive, it's the highest paid interstate bus driving job in the US. If you know the contract and have a spine, management can't push you. and you'll meet a lot of outstanding people.
Pros
Great pay, amazing training, and Union job security.
Cons
communication with management and/or dispatch can be frustrating
Productive and relaxed
Bus Operator (CDL) (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 28, 2018
Greyhound was wonderful. They have a great work culture . There very supportive of outside work balance for the employees. The ability to relocate anytime is a blessing. They have great management and instructors. Would have love to stay here but I have small children and it was hard to manage it both and get the full benefits of the job.
Pros
travel accomendations
Cons
extraboard life
Great place to start a career but lacked stability with management.
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 28, 2019
I was a lead phone agent who answered fare and schedule calls as well as escalated calls for the U.S. and Canada. The hardest part of this job was dealing with the inconsistencies of the management team. Coworkers were good but lacked good leadership.
Pros
Wonderful travel benefits
Cons
Poor management.
Can be productive, but the Operations doesn't always work together.
Dispatch Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 31, 2019
Its alot of gray areas. When working with the Field Operations you get familiar with how they operate and whats expected. The joint effort will help ease your work load. I find it hard to be optimistic at times because upper managment can come off as if they want change but they are not very adaptive to change.
Pros
paid time off and benefits
Cons
Technology/system is backdated.
Confusion
driver (Current Employee) –  New York City, NYSeptember 19, 2018
In NYC people do not respond to telephone calls about new employee questions. Start day is moved around in a way they want to. They leave new employees in limbo about when they begin to train. Customer service argues with customers and then blows them off. I am going to write to my Senators and Congressman and the Preseident and the Department of Transportation about this. They are bad to employees and customers.I will give more when I hear from everybody. I never seen no company bad like this.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
office staff, admin, no response to new recruits, no respect for customers, bad scene all the way around
Not one benefit or incentive
Agency Manager (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKFebruary 17, 2019
Job would be great but it's not a corporate owned business so the benefits Greyhound offers don't apply. Management wasn't provided proper training. No benefits, incentives or bonuses. Base pay minimal for the work required. Must work 2 years to be eligible for vacation.
Pros
Paid biweekly
Cons
Little pay, training isn't adequate.
Management has change. Less workers and more work.
City General Manager (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLSeptember 17, 2018
They started to cut on supervisors and employees and the work load got to heavy. They need to revisit and work side by side with the employees that run the floor so they could see reality time spent doing the task the right way. Not in a hurry. When employees are rushing getting things done, it is not SAFE.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Too much work to be done at short time.
Productive and energetic days
Ticket Agent, Trainer, Reports Clerk & Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNNovember 13, 2018
Greyhound was a great place to work, I enjoyed every minute of everyday that I spent at Greyhound. Greyhound days were never the same, there was never a a dull day at the Greyhound.
Pros
Excellent benefits
Co-workers make the company
Director, Projects Administration Accomplishments (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 5, 2019
Collaboration between departments was instrumental in getting projects done on time. Benefits are below standard and cost more and cover less each year.
Review
Regional Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 25, 2019
Productive workplace, and job function, but it hard to plan a family life around it. After 18 years, would like may schedule to be a little more flexible
Pros
Salary, workplace
Cons
24 hour availabily require
Love the big dog
Operations Analyst (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXOctober 19, 2018
This was my first job out of college and I wish that I had not ever left. I loved so many things about the company, but it was not financially stable, so you were always on the chopping block unless you were essential personnel.
Benefits
Cons
Company Volatility
Excellent travel opportunity
Driver (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCOctober 2, 2018
not recommended for a married person, but ideal for a single adult seeking a fun adventure with pay and benefits. excitement with meeting new people and travelling to new places.
Pros
free travel
Cons
time away from home and family
Nice Enviroment
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAAugust 17, 2018
Postitive at enviroment. Help costomers as needed. Flexible hours. They work with you as they make you shedule. Pay is good. Give out yearly raises. HIghly recommended.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
late nights
not a fun place to work.
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Montgomery, ALAugust 20, 2018
Did not enjoy my time there because did not offer any advancement low pay and did not offer very good health insurance or dental insurance also no 401k.
Not a good job
Ticket Agent (Former Employee) –  Newark njSeptember 5, 2018
Greyhound doesn’t pay enough and they do not care about employees don’t work there and please don’t work in Newark New Jersey mangment gives no benefits and you will not get paid enough to live
Fast paced fun place
Baggage Handler (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOFebruary 8, 2019
A day at Greyhond is very unpredictable every day is different .I have learned alot at Greyhound such how to receive and send out GPX,how to give good customer service.Management is pretty good .Th culture is hard working.The hardest thing about my job is working in bad weather.The most enjoyable part of my job is that management let u do my job with little supervision because they know i am a hard worker.
Pros
paid holidays
Cons
working in bad weather
Good company to start your career
OPERATIONS SUPERVISOR/DRIVER SAFETY (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 10, 2018
If you're interested in a career in transportation, start with Greyhound but make sure you end your career at another institution. They will help you to get your CDL and help develop your skills.
Pros
Easy company to get into, and develop skills
Cons
Benefits, working the extra board

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Greyhound. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP5%
In the Top 5% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Greyhound.

Powered by Comparably