Greyhound

Bus Driver122 reviews
United States122 reviews

Found 122 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,341 reviews

Ok to start

They will help getting your CDL license. Expect to spend most of your time out. They may not send you home if they wanna keep you at a location. For instance Montreal.

If you dont have Kids its a perfect job where you can make good money

If you dont have Kids its a perfect job where you can make good money. Get to stay in nice hotels.. with the potential to earn Great money..love it here

Pros

Nice hotel stays.. Good pay, if you are willing to work.

Cons

Always away from home.

Greyhound insights

What people like
  • Supportive environment
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Ability to learn new things
Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Fair pay for job
  • Time and location flexibility

Run!!!! Everyone you meet working here has been here for 10-15 years minimum

This company is outdated. Needs a major revamp to be more supportive of the DRIVER being that they’re so reliant of the DRIVER! They will work you like a dog though. $

Pros

Travel

Cons

Everything else

Great Pay = No Time

I think if they made every route about 7-8 hrs it wouldn’t be bad. They treat you like a truck driver but you’re not. It’s a real boys club as well, stick with it travel get paid but no time to self.

Pros

Travel, Pay

Cons

No time for self, popularity

Fun place very exciting

Good place to work fun great advancement going from state to state meeting new people different cultures if you want a piece of mind this is the place for you

Pros

Free hotels

Great pay, low morale

Be prepared to travel and work from the city that needs you most, the turnover is really high, you get to experience some interesting cities- great hotels, meal allowance and the pay is good, they will work you like a fool- if you let them. Management is very trying and you will spend a good amount of time from home.

Pros

Travel, meal allowance good to great pay

Cons

Little time home, management will expect for you to grind hard because they are always short of drivers

Nothing, it’s just a job, no career path. You get experience and move on to MTA or something better

The bad is you never know where your going for the day until they assign you. You only get 8 hours rest from the time your bus docks in. You get one day off a week and that consists of just 12 hours. You drive in conditions when there is a weather advisory for no vehicles on the road. You only get paid for the hours you drive, so most times less than 8 hours. 7 out of ten your bus will break down on the road due to air brake line busting from cold weather or some other engine problems that’s you cannot detect during pretrip. They don’t have the man power for the amount of trips they book. When your bus breaks down, it takes 2 to 8 hours before they get another bus to you. You have to use a paper route guide and your expected to pull over on the highway and read as much as you can and repeat this throughout your run. The good is, at least you have a job.

Pros

You get experience and they train you well

Cons

You are always fatigue due to the 8 hours break you get when your bus reaches the port.

No home life

You have no home life and you have to beg for the money that you already made. Every location you travel to have Management that do not have your best interest at heart.

Pros

Cons

Health

Fun, great coworkers, good passengers, lousy dispatch and shareholders.

I loved my coworkers and local managers. VERY rarely had any issues with my passengers. Scheduling is done, for the most part by dispatchers in Dallas. There were times I'd be on hold for 30 minutes or longer trying to check in so that I could go to sleep. The shareholders are insanely greedy and treat employees as disposable assets. Their response to COVID was, basically, to cut schedules, furlough employees, and continue to fill buses almost to capacity.

Pros

Travel opportunities, coworkers become family

Cons

Often have to "chase" your money. You have to keep track of EVERYTHING you do.

This company needs a Complete Makeover

This company is over 100 years old and they haven't updated much. Old policies, old buses, old computer systems that barely work. Greyhound is still operating like they just started out. I loved seeing the country and I loved driving the buses, and most of the coworkers were great!! Most of the Managers were good also. It's the policies that are in place that I had a problem with.Some drivers that have been there a long time have it easy, so the company is short drivers. The pay is awful!!!!

Pros

You can see the country!

Cons

You can't get enough rest and they steal your money the first year

I like driving

I was loyal to the company but the company wasn't loyal back to me, l had a miscarriage and they didn't care, looked like everybody was not on my side, everyone act like they didn't know (Managers), I send where l was in the hospital in Texas, l went to Texas for a month to help out and they wouldn't even help me get back home to my family.

Pros

At first the free hotel rooms was good until they went cheap.

Cons

They (Managers) don't care about no one but they self.

I was excited and nervous, but it came very easy to me. Trainers were immaculate, and got the job done.

Work-life balanceWork-life balance at Greyhound is not much to say you have no life.Pay & benefitsMy pay and benefits at Greyhound are beyond excellent

Flexibility constant travel

Love of travel and being self reliant at first you could be sent anywhere then afterwards you bid steady schedules quarterly most of the time you are always packed and ready and even though you’re among lots of people the job is solitary which suited me fine...

Pros

Explore new places

Cons

Tedious hours away from home and family

Ok place to work

OverallMy experience working at Greyhound was ok if u don’t have family and like being over the road perfect job for you, always had to make sure you were t being shorted on pay

Fun place to work if you love to drive

The respect you get working at this company the bad thing lunch you never get time to eat lunch but they work with you getting your rest is very important to the company

Pros

No free lunch lunch and diner is on you

Cons

You get shot break with pay

Free travel

I enjoyed working at Greyhound, I love to drive.And travel, usually on the road from state to state.Different places like Boston NYC , Pittsburgh and Dc.

Pros

Free travel

Cons

A lot of unpaid time .

Very good company to work

When I got to greyhound bus Lines it was like a dream come true for me I was able to get the job done because I had a good instructor to show me what I needed to do

I've had better

Minimal home time. Slavery with a contact and most pay is paid through claims you have to submit like you're a contractor or something. Benefits are like medical also.

a great company to work for, fantastic people

i had the best time of my life at greyhound, like most jobs, it is what you are willing to put forth that will make your time there enjoyable. patience is a must, because you shoulder great responsibility each and every day. this is a great job, for a traveler, a nomad sort of speak. every day is an adventure.but you need to know that the job is very demanding, it calls for you to be at your best each and every day. and that means doing the right thing every time, all of the time. good luck to all that apply, greyhound has some of the best drivers in the world, it is them you will prove your worthiness to be a professional motor coach operator.of GREYHOUND.

Working on both coast of the country and in most major cities.

A typical work day for me was to report on time and take care of any and all paperwork for my immediate trip. Pre-trip vehicle for safety and passenger comfort. Count re-boarding passenger count from previous driver and greet them and take their re-boarding slips and re-board those passengers first. After making sure re-boarders are seated and comfortable, take tickets of new originating passengers and have them board and be seated. Make one final walk around the vehicle, safely strap in the drivers seat and make announcements then proceed safely to next destination.

A Sinking Ship

If a promising career with a sense of pride and accomplishment is what your looking for , then STAY AWAY from Greyhound. One of the biggest issues you'll face is being paid or not being paid at all. The buses are dirty and not properly maintained , which results in breakdowns and angry passengers..Instead of fixing the buses properly the first time , Greyhound in its infinite wisdom will reinstall a old corroded coolant hose on a new water pump. Makes sense right? Then when the bus breaks down they'll call a road service tech and another relief bus costing hundreds of dollars or more which saves the company a bundle. Everything this company does is logical and sensible.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Greyhound. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

2.3
InHerSight Score
2.1Personal Development
2.6Career Opportunities
2.4Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight

Compare Greyhound with

Career recommendations for Bus Driver

Explore information on salaries, job satisfaction, skills and more
  • Greyhound