Grinnell Mutual Employee Reviews

Greatest Opportunity!
Data Analyst Intern (Former Employee) –  Grinnell, IASeptember 13, 2018
They were all about wanting to help me advance my career and do anything in their power to help me. The best part of my internship was the networking opportunities they let me attend. I gained a great relationship with everyone I worked with. One thing that I didn't expect them to let me do was to do job shadows in any department I wanted to. All I had to do was show interest in learning about the company as a whole and what it takes to keep the company running. The only bad part about my internship was the occasional period where I didn't have any work to do.
Pros
Company Culture! Friend People and Great Perks! Love this place
Cons
Occasional Periods of no work
September 19, 2018

We’re glad you had such a great experience here.

Thanks for your feedback. We are working getting projects built out in a way so that there is not as much downtime between assignments.

Terrible company to work for
Adjuster (Former Employee) –  IowaAugust 17, 2018
I would not recommend my worst enemy to work here. Management just beats you down and they do not care about you. The WORST company I have ever worked for. I have seen many employees treated terrible here
August 20, 2018

Valuing our relationships is one of our core values that all of us try to live out every day here. It sounds like maybe we didn’t meet your expectations — I’m sorry you felt that we did not care about you and other employees.

Great Place to Work
Claims Property Adjusting (Current Employee) –  Grinnell, IAMarch 8, 2018
A typical day at work at Grinnell Re in the field is manage your own work load and mutual relationships and you will succeed. Management gives you all the tools needed to be successful. In the last 5 years the company has made major strides to update technology. There is over half of the staff that has been at the company 25+ years. Great place to work!
Pros
No Micromanaging, Salary, Benefits
Good benefits
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Grinnell, IAFebruary 5, 2018
Grinnell Mutual Reinsurance Company is an average place to work.
There is a good number of great people working there.
The company does offer a good benefits package.
March 19, 2018

Thanks for the review -- and for working for us. Good luck with the next steps in your career.

Absolutely horrible environment
Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Grinnell, IAFebruary 4, 2018
If you want to be berated, feel unappreciated and have no room for growth, this is your place. Treat customers poorly with no integrity. Avoid! If you want to go nowhere and not sleep well, not tell your family and friends where you work, do it.
Pros
Cons
Streeful, micro managed, underpaid, overworked
It used to be fun.
User Experience Designer – Researcher (Former Employee) –  Grinnell, IAOctober 27, 2017
If you enjoy dealing with egos and politics it's definitely for you! The culture used to be good, but with recent management changes non one really has a clue what needs to be done, or they do but don't enforce the correct change to happen. Everyone is just, more or less, out for themselves now. Everyone is "on edge" and wonders if they'll have a job the next day. I'll put it simply... It blows.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Manager liked to make people cry
Direct Underwriting Billing CS Associate (Former Employee) –  Grinnell, IASeptember 6, 2017
She would call you into her office and berate you until you were in tears. No one did anything to suit her. Liked the people I worked with. You would have to have a suit of armor to work here. Left for more pay and better work environment
Poor Management
Property Large Loss Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Southern MinnesotaAugust 12, 2017
As a property large loss adjuster I traveled throughout multiple states in order to scope and measure multiple buildings at multiple insured locations. My manager was an extreme 'micro manager' who caused you to second guess everything. Management looks very hard for ways not to pay claims, they go out of their way to find some exclusion. Their computer system is right out of the 70's, they still use AS400 along with three other systems. Very poor training. Don't work for this company unless your very desperate.
Pros
Free ice cream and soda in the home office
Cons
Poor training & micro-management
can not trust them
Property Adjuster (Former Employee) –  MNDecember 15, 2016
The reassurance side of Grinnell is in a constant state of flux. They say one thing and do another. The have no consistency. I would not recommend working for them unless your desperate.

I was told they had a pension plan when I was hired, I found out during orientation they have one but it is not open to new employees.

This was one of the things that got me to switch companies, not fun being lied to.
Pros
as an adjuster you can work from home
Cons
just be carefull, if they want you they will tell you anything they think it takes to get you.
I liked the atmosphere and they are very family friendly.
Assistant Commercial Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Grinnell, IAAugust 18, 2016
I enjoyed the work, there was no place for growth were I was. The management felt that only college educated were to be rewarded.
Employees are wonderful to work with & overall pretty flexible
Senior Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Grinnell, IAOctober 11, 2015
In the area that I work in there is room for advancement. However, be prepared to work more than 40 hours a week, including early mornings, later evenings, & weekends. The people at GMRC are wonderful to work with. Benefits are good. We have our own on site health clinic where family & employees can come for free & a small but very nice fitness center. We currently just built on a very nice conference center & have a new cafeteria so employees do not have to go off campus for lunch. Overall, GMRC is not a bad place to work; however, there are some upper management issues that need to be addressed.
Pros
Free Health Care Center, Free Fitness Center, Great people to work with
Cons
Be prepared to work overtime frequently, upper management needs some changes
excellant company
Senior Programmer/Analyst (Former Employee) –  Grinnell, IANovember 29, 2014
Programmed multiple systems using COBOL and worked with 5 other programmers to fulfill company needs
Great company to work for
Wellness Specialist- Group Fitness Instructor (Current Employee) –  Grinnell, IAOctober 22, 2014
This company allows the employees to grow and advance professionally and personally. The management continually encourages and gives employees opportunities to complete continuing education both in their line of work and assists in employees reaching their own personal goals. Best part of this job, the co-workers.
Worked in the Mail Room and later as Word Processer
Underwritting Support II (Former Employee) –  Grinnell, IAJuly 9, 2014
It was a good place to work. The co-workers were good to work with.
Training is lacking
Assistant Underwriter - Personal Lines (Former Employee) –  Grinnell, IAOctober 18, 2013
Seemed like the training was lacking. The company may need to look into hiring actual trainers for the positions that they are trying to fill. My trainer was very much a point and click kind of person and never explained why we do certain things. If I had the whole picture I may have done better there.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Grinnell Mutual. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

3.1InHerSight Score

3.2Personal Development

2.2Career Opportunities

3.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight