Grinnell Mutual

Working at Grinnell Mutual: 35 Reviews

United States35 reviews

employeemanagementplacegoodgreatworkjobbenefit

Too much cross training

Grinnell Mutual is a wonderful company to work for with great benefits; however they recently started cross training in my department. Because of this cross training, my job is very different compared to when I started. I am no longer working in my specialty. I am being cross trained in areas I am very unfamiliar with. My current position is nothing but chaos now. I used to love my job and looked forward to working every day. I now dread working and am looking for something more in line with my experience and expertise.

Pros

Great benefits

Cons

Cross training

It was a fun environment and good place to work. The people were friendly and very helpful. The amenities were great. Was kept well informed of what was going on with the company.

Grinnell Mutual insights

What people like
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Time and location flexibility

Not your typical insurance company.

This company has very different feel than other companies I have worked at in the past. I feel like transparency is important to upper management. It doesn't feel like they are hiding anything from employees.

If you can breath, you can get hired here.

Started here expecting to be able to move either laterally or up. Have been passed over even though my experience and work skills are excellent and my job performance is above average.

Pros

8 to 4:30 workday M-F. Wellness time when work load allows it.

Cons

Workload is inconsistent due to call volume.

Incredible culture, kind people

Grinnell mutual is a work environment that challenges and rewards. They value their employees and compensate/benefit well. The management is very transparent with company happenings.

Grinnell Mutual Insurance is the best company I've worked for.

The culture of this company is above and beyond any other. Every single employee matters. We take pride in helping our customers who are in need or crisis mode by keeping our promise to help and protect them. The upper management team of this company is top notch. I'm very proud to be a Grinnell Mutual Insurance Employee. Grinnell Mutual provides great benefits, great pay, free salads, free coffee and a variety of other drinks each and every day. They listen to and support their employees and consider them their most valuable assets.

December 9, 2019
Thank you for your review -- and for choosing to work here! Our employees matter and make our culture what it is. Thank you for noticing and sharing what makes it great to you!

They take care of their employees

They provided a lot of benefits. Incentives to have days off. Lots of vacation. Relaxed atmosphere at work but the jobs can be high stress. Difficult to get in but worth the effort.

December 3, 2019
Thank you for making the effort to join the Grinnell Mutual team. It's good to hear that you feel like we take care of you.

Great place to work, I would recommend it to anyone. Had Great mangers and staff and very friendly place. I enjoyed the time with the other employees.

Good family oriented company

Typical day at work. Answering and making phone calls along with replying to emails. receiving and setting up newly assigned claims, inspecting claims and completing estimates using Xactimate software.

Okay

Reinsurance side has unrealistic expectations when it comes to 3rd party inspections and territories. The leadership has the company in a good direction.

Great company

This is a great company to work for, and they allow personal and career advancement. Supervisors and upper management are great to work with, and the company allows a good work/life balance.

February 13, 2019
Thanks for your review. We strive to create a workplace that allows our people to be their best -- it sounds like that is happening for you!

Fun place to work

All the people here are great to work with. The culture is very inviting. Management seems to care about their employees. The company definitely has a vision for the future.

January 14, 2019
Thanks for your review and for choosing Grinnell Mutual for your co-op experience. It’s our goal to empower employees to do their best work, and we’re so happy you felt that commitment during your time with us. We wish you success in your career!

Decent Company

Fast paced and long hours but a nice company. The co-workers were nice but some of the management lacked experience and knowledge. Overall good company.

Pros

pay and remote office in my home

Cons

long hours and fast paced

January 2, 2019
Thanks for your review. Best wishes as you continue in your career!

Greatest Opportunity!

They were all about wanting to help me advance my career and do anything in their power to help me. The best part of my internship was the networking opportunities they let me attend. I gained a great relationship with everyone I worked with. One thing that I didn't expect them to let me do was to do job shadows in any department I wanted to. All I had to do was show interest in learning about the company as a whole and what it takes to keep the company running. The only bad part about my internship was the occasional period where I didn't have any work to do.

Pros

Company Culture! Friend People and Great Perks! Love this place

Cons

Occasional Periods of no work

September 19, 2018
We’re glad you had such a great experience here. Thanks for your feedback. We are working getting projects built out in a way so that there is not as much downtime between assignments.

Terrible company to work for

I would not recommend my worst enemy to work here. Management just beats you down and they do not care about you. The WORST company I have ever worked for. I have seen many employees treated terrible here

August 20, 2018
Valuing our relationships is one of our core values that all of us try to live out every day here. It sounds like maybe we didn’t meet your expectations — I’m sorry you felt that we did not care about you and other employees.

Small internship worth it

I had only a quick internship, but it was well worth it. The people were nice and helpful. If you didn't bring lunch or missed breakfast they had a cafeteria.

Great Place to Work

A typical day at work at Grinnell Re in the field is manage your own work load and mutual relationships and you will succeed. Management gives you all the tools needed to be successful. In the last 5 years the company has made major strides to update technology. There is over half of the staff that has been at the company 25+ years. Great place to work!

Pros

No Micromanaging, Salary, Benefits

Good Place to Work

This is a great company to work for. The benefits and salary are fair. They encourage all employees to build their skills for advancement. The con's would be the manager, director level of management. They aren't trained for the position and there are a lot of indecisiveness and micro-managing taking place at that level. It seems like a lot of managers at this level have been promoted into this position before they were ready.

Pros

free medical clinic, fitness center, cafeteria

Cons

poorly trained managers and directors

March 19, 2018
Thanks for the review and the feedback. If you could offer advice to those directors and managers to be more effective in their work, what would you tell them?

Good benefits

Grinnell Mutual Reinsurance Company is an average place to work. There is a good number of great people working there. The company does offer a good benefits package.

March 19, 2018
Thanks for the review -- and for working for us. Good luck with the next steps in your career.

Absolutely horrible environment

If you want to be berated, feel unappreciated and have no room for growth, this is your place. Treat customers poorly with no integrity. Avoid! If you want to go nowhere and not sleep well, not tell your family and friends where you work, do it.

Pros

Cons

Streeful, micro managed, underpaid, overworked

It used to be fun.

If you enjoy dealing with egos and politics it's definitely for you! The culture used to be good, but with recent management changes non one really has a clue what needs to be done, or they do but don't enforce the correct change to happen. Everyone is just, more or less, out for themselves now. Everyone is "on edge" and wonders if they'll have a job the next day. I'll put it simply... It blows.

Pros

Salary

Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Grinnell Mutual. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.9 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Ratings from women

4.4
InHerSight Score
4.4Personal Development
4.1Career Opportunities
4.7Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight