Grocery Outlet Employee Reviews

Not the best
Front End Manager (Former Employee) –  Rohnert Park, CAOctober 12, 2018
When it came to being flexible with school and life the management was understanding but it was difficult if you a secondary job. As a front end manager I could get the owner to comply with the needs of the crew in terms of how much work they should do. The owner wanted 5 people to do the work of 10 but if was difficult since most of them were untrained and brand new.
underpaid over worked
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  122nd and division portland oregon 97236October 10, 2018
the owners of the store do not care about you unless you have been working for them for 5 plus years. they would move us around from department to department to see who did better in that position. even if you were already the best at the position the managers always have attitude and do not keep your private life secret.
Good
Cashier at Grocery Outlet Bellevue (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WAOctober 10, 2018
Overall this job was a well managed family, good cohabiting on their end from my point of view. And well rounded owner and insight on many topics to make work seem less like but work but like an everyday thing.
Pros
Paid breaks
Great people, poor pay
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAOctober 9, 2018
I love the people I work with but feel under valued. I know how to do everything from working the register to working any department in the store. Yet my hours have been cut and I have yet to get a raise.
Pros
Good people/ environment
Cons
Pay is low
A good first job.
Courtesy Clerk (Current Employee) –  Vacaville, CAOctober 8, 2018
A friendly grocery store, almost to a fault. The culture is very flexible but can be somewhat frustrating at times if you are a perfectionist. You won't want to stay there forever but its a good place to work while you're in school or starting out. MUCH better than the typical retail experience, customers can be a little grating but its barely noticeable.
Pros
flexible hours, good culture, a surprising amount of autonomy
Cons
little room for advancement, not for introverts
Great place at grocery outlet
Deli Manager (Current Employee) –  Paramount, CAOctober 7, 2018
Great place to work here grocery outlet. It's fun and the prices are very cheap.
As an employee it's great to come to a place where you know it's fun and people treat you well.
summary
stock manager (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAOctober 6, 2018
it was a good place to start working as one of my first jobs but not a place i could have a future in. Also the boss was rude to my co-workers as well as me and it was a hectic environment.
Grocery Outlet
Manager (Current Employee) –  Avocado Heights, CAOctober 3, 2018
Managing employees
Deligating duties to other employees
Customer service was the best part of my job. Making sure my customers were happy!! Know everyday my customers were leaving happy.
Fun relaxed place to work at times,
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Arlington, WAOctober 2, 2018
It’s a fun place to work at times, just not enough hours to be able to live, no benefits as far as I’m aware. Fast and slow paced work at times. Lack of communication as well.
Pros
Cool coworker
Cons
No enough hours
Franchised chaos
Store manager (Former Employee) –  Ontario, CASeptember 28, 2018
I would never work for one of these franchised stores again. Nothing but bad experiences with the two stores i worked for . I also had very bad experiences with the several other store owners i interviewed with . No structure no rules or policies that make them up as they go .
Pros
close to my house
Cons
franchised
Busy
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Hayward, CASeptember 27, 2018
Busy, a big turnover, negative people, used to be nice people that worked there but they all quit because they had enough. The few personable people had enough and left.
Cons
Constant negativity and cursing
Mature employee? Great opportunity!
Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Placerville, CASeptember 23, 2018
Every Grocery Outlet is unique, owners differ in their style and involvement. I enjoy my position. Being an entrepreneurial type person, I get to express my creativity and direct and manage every aspect of my career. I have full autonomy and am able to operate my department as my own business. I am personally challenged to improve customer service, our sales, my leadership skills and feel privileged as a mentor. I appreciate the full time work, good hours and the trust placed in me. The owner is happy with the success of our department and continually shows gratitude and support. I have great personal satisfaction.

The main complaint among employees in our store is low wages, and yes, I echo this. Many young folks enjoy working here and take great pride in the work they do but know they can't make this a permanent career choice because they have hopes and dreams for their futures. The salary offered does not support a young family. I don't expect we will see a change to being paid a living wage. Barely above minimum wage seems to be the business model. However, If you are just beginning your career and choose to work with us, you will gain a solid, marketable work experience. You need not worry or complain about wages, you have nothing to fear, you will not be without options for your future, I have not noticed anyone being held against their will in my store, if you wish to seek a better paying job you will remain free to make a change. No worries.

I've been a part the corporate life, and earned a fair living wage. I know full well what is involved. I do have it
  more... pretty good now. I love my customers, my freedom, and am thankful for this moment. Grocery Outlet is a great place to work. If you enjoy working, want to build a good foundation or just to make good hard work apart of your life, we would live to have you join us!  less
Pros
We are given dated product... saves money=bonus. Owners trust in our expertise, no corporate oversight micro-managing from ivory towers
Cons
Low wages = too many unreliable high turnover employees
Was there 3 months
Stock Clerk and Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  San Leandro, CASeptember 22, 2018
Then went out on workman’s comp, tore my shoulder. They sold the store and the new manager wouldn’t hire me back basically got injured and lost my job
Pros
Friendship
Cons
Wages
A decent job to learn operations in a grocery store-.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington StateSeptember 22, 2018
Very little career opportunity or financial compensation. Employees struggle with rules that change without notice, explanation, or clarity as to the new process.

Very low pay
No benefits
Equlity is an issue.
Pros
Flexible schedule, good 1st time job to learn basics of a grocery store
Cons
Low pay, equality, lack of structure
Good prices
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Arlington, WASeptember 20, 2018
For as many times I have shopped at grocery outlet the store was always meet and clean.The prices are fantastic.Everyone is friendly and helpful.The produce was good and fresh in appearance
Pros
Everyone friendly
Cons
Can not think of any.
Fun and friendly work place
Cashier (Current Employee) –  La Mirada, CASeptember 19, 2018
Every co-worker I had was very friendly, helpful, and outgoing. The customers were also friendly and excited to see everyone. Working in a positive atmosphere really helped make the day go by faster.
Fun, startup-like culture
Human Resources Intern (Current Employee) –  Emeryville, CASeptember 17, 2018
Grocery Outlet is very culture-conscious as it grows, and most of upper management wants to preserve the "startup-like" culture that has formed. People are friendly, and I had plenty of opportunity for advancement in my position.
Very productive and energetic and spirital workplace.
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Visalia, CASeptember 17, 2018
I've learned a lot of things that I would have never thought of doing. It was a peaceful working area. Everyone treats you like family. Very energetic.
Pros
family friendly
Cons
No discounts
super friendly staff
Grocery Lead / Cashier (Current Employee) –  Westminster, CASeptember 12, 2018
Great place to work, employers are family oriented. making all employees welcomed. A typical day consist of register and stocking. The busiest time of day is around 3-7 pm. most stressful thing is you don't always have the same products so customers are disappointing.
Pros
you take free food home
Cons
dont always carry the same product
Very nice family owned store
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Ventura, CASeptember 12, 2018
My experience working at the Grocery Outlet was great. I enjoyed working there. Friendly people and the owners were so amazing and understanding. Very great place to work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Grocery Outlet. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.0InHerSight Score

2.8Personal Development

3.4Career Opportunities

2.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight