Grocery Outlet Employee Reviews

it is a grocery store
Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  San Leandro, CADecember 12, 2018
It is a grocery store that smells kinda funny, but, somehow it smells the same in every store. like maybe its a certain type of air freshener they use as a company or something, i dont know
Wonderful Employees, but..
Checker/Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Mount Vernon, WADecember 12, 2018
Grocery Outlet is a wonderful place to work, and shop. The employees are wonderful and manage to stay upbeat and positive. The environment is full of laughs, positivity, and plenty of play-fun joking. Coworkers get along very well and are all very polite to customers. The products are fairly priced and staff try to make it stay clean.

However, it is very dirty and many customers come back to return already expired and many items are not priced or if they are they don't match the signs that they are stocked with. In the urgent times when managers and courtesy workers are needed for overrides and other tasks, they do not come to the front in an orderly fashion. The floors are very dirty if you sit there long enough to examine them and a lot of the registers are outdated and freeze or breakdown in times of need. Some would describe it as run-down. The hardest part of the job is having to stay in one spot for 8 hours- taking a hard toll on the back, shoulders, neck and hips.
Pros
Hour lunches, pay
Cons
No benefits, bad communication
Fast pace
Frieght manager (Current Employee) –  Roseburg, ORDecember 11, 2018
They give credit where credit is do. I my self have came so far in such a short amount of time and love my job. As long as you work and do what your there to do and get the job done it all runs nice and smooth.
I loved it there!
Team Member/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Hemet, CADecember 4, 2018
Loved working at Grocery Outlet, it was like a huge family but that comes with the love and hate side. I would definitely go back, if they paid better.
Pros
Worked with our personal schedules and everyone was friendly for the most part.
Cons
You only got a raise if you asked for it, not if you deserved it.
Dynamic Workplace
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Spring Valley, CA, USDecember 3, 2018
Working in a retail operations is a challenge in every single day. I was able to experience different kind of problems and situations, some of them come up all at the same time which is frustrating. I discovered so much of myself, and developed skills that I did not imagine myself doing. I was a shy person before and learned to love and appreciate more of the people around me and interacting when I was given this job. It was a little bit hard to try to fit in at first since it is in another country, working with different kinds of people and different race, but the diversity of people and culture has been a cultivating experience.
not great
Retail Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Emeryville, CADecember 3, 2018
left because of managment. unappreciative bosses. shifts are in either five days periods or ten day periods. with 2 days off after five days or three days off after ten days worked
Productive and fun place.
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Clovis, CANovember 28, 2018
A typical day at work would include clocking in and attending to my assigned department. I learned a lot about how to keep my department presentable, displays, price changing, and a great deal of customer interaction. The management were kind people and no matter what or how they were feeling they would help you out regardless.
Buen hambiente de tranajo
Embio (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CANovember 23, 2018
Hay muchas posibilidades de desarrollo en el trabajo.
Good Co-workers, Not so great boss.
Jack of All Trades (Former Employee) –  Newberg, ORNovember 19, 2018
Lot's to say about this one. Good and Bad :).
Good: Amazing Co-Workers, Flexible Work Schedule if you ask. Tight-Knit family vibe work place. 10% Discount. Easy Job. Will hire people with little to no experience. Great for a first time job for anyone! Managers are very easy going.

Bad: Low pay, Boss is stingy with hours, Favoritism is a huge thing, Boss makes false promises, Not enough employee's, Super high expectations for a low-grade entry level job.

I'm not saying every Grocery Outlet is bad but this was just my experience with this one. Would recommend as a basic job to gain experience. But if you already have job experience I would recommend staying far away
Pros
Listed
Cons
Listed
Learning workplace
Cashier/ Stock (Former Employee) –  Shillington, PANovember 15, 2018
It was my first job & I got the opportunity to learn how to become a cashier. Overall great experience. I recommend teenagers to start at a job like a supermarket and work their way up.
Pros
You are the first to know about great deals
Cons
we cant participate in giveaways
Great work place but underpaid
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Klamath Falls, ORNovember 14, 2018
I work at grocery outlet for bout a year I don't think they pay enough f I also think they need to be more strict. And they definitely need better security
Liked the people I worked with
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CANovember 7, 2018
I did like the people that I worked with alot. I liked the owners as well. I did notice that standing for so many hours a day, my back started hurting on the left side and continues to hurt to this day. I gotta go get that checked cuz it really hurts at times. Anyways, Overall nice people. Love the rotating selection
Good job, no room for for growth
Cashier (Former Employee) –  South San Francisco, CANovember 6, 2018
The discounts was great on the already discounted items and helping people find good deals was a definite plus, but the dead end nature of the job lent heavily to the atmosphere of depression. Good times were had, a good summer job. But minimum wages can only feed you for so long.
A full day at work
Grocery Stocker (Current Employee) –  Sun Valley, CANovember 5, 2018
I come in at 3:00 either go fill up the carts or check if the milk is filled then i check to see if im working the floor by my self again... i'll grab a cart then start facing the lanes.{i also have to open the bathrooms when someone needs to use the bathroom and do carts when they run low and open up on a register if the line gets long, milk also runs low quickly}.Theres four lanes that i have to try to finish by the end of the day also take out the trashes and bring the pallets from outside inside before we close.
Pros
we get the expired stuff for free
Cons
I get most of the work by my self and get paid the same as a cashier
Productice but Fast Paced
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CANovember 1, 2018
It was a fun part-time job, while being in college, they were very flexible with shifts. Friendly coworkers and easy to get along with. Easy to get shifts covered if needed. Simple to learn tasks.
Pros
Good Shifts, fair pay, easy to average tasks.
Cons
Short breaks, be by yourself at the front while others took lunch, etc.
Horrible workplace
Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Clovis, CAOctober 30, 2018
They are slave-drivers and penny pinchers!!! They expect one person to do the work of 5 people. They say you are team lead but there is no team and you have no one to lead! They only give 50 cent raises if you’re lucky! And they keep just enough employees so they can take advantage of the loophole of not paying minimum wage! I battled through many civil rights and osha violations with them during my employment there.
Pros
Cons
No respect, no common sense and just outright horrible people to work for!
First job
Mariano’s (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 28, 2018
This was my first job at a store associate. It was a great experience I didn’t have any problems with working until I had to leave to go overseas for my grandfathers funeral.
Would be a career if it wasn't minimum wage.
Freight Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Moses Lake, WAOctober 27, 2018
The store I worked at was handled extremely well by the Owner/Operators and their supervisors. Working here can pretty much guarantee an enjoyable job, however it IS a dead-end, minimum wage job for the most part. However, this is more the industry than the individual store.

Had money been no issue, I would have gladly spent 40 years working here.
Pros
Great management and coworkers. It's like an amazing family away from home.
Cons
No benefits, low wages.
its an outlet store
Deli Department Manager/ checker (Former Employee) –  Klamath Falls, OROctober 27, 2018
This business is a lower end grocery store, they don't pay as well as bigger corporations and don't have benefits. The atmosphere was equal to the status of the company,
Pros
no night shifts
Cons
no benefits
fun place to work
Manager (Former Employee) –  Woodland, WAOctober 26, 2018
never a long term employer
family owned sales driven
no sales no work
putting store together was fun and full time but hours will be cut once store is open
Cons
no bennifets

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Grocery Outlet. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

3.0InHerSight Score

2.8Personal Development

3.4Career Opportunities

2.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight