Grote Employee Reviews

Contract employees are treated like disposable second class citizens at Grote
Contract Engineer (Former Employee) –  Madison, INNovember 7, 2018
Being a contract engineer at Grote is demoralizing. I was one of a large group of contract engineers that were hired at the same time - Red Flag! We were told that these were contract to hire opportunities. In reality, Grote only intended to hire a few engineers who they thought they could retain at below market wages, accept the isolated location, insane workload, or lacked common sense. A few of the lower-grade engineers were given offers to stay. None of them lasted a year beyond the original 6mo contract. It was such a waste of time, money and effort that somebody higher up got fired.
They seem to have a hard time recruiting talent, which is understandable considering the remoteness of the location. If you like 1hr+ commutes, or dislike city life, then this is the place for you. There are some great people there, but those who have mobility and better potential eventually leave.
Pros
Great place to work if you're a small town person. Stability for worker bees.
Cons
Independent thought is not allowed for people low on the food chain.
Best job I have ever had. Wish i did not go back to college and just stayed there.
Jr. Front End Developer (Former Employee) –  Madison, INOctober 7, 2018
Overall, Grote was amazing. Taking a fresh out of high school kid that had been known to get ahead and giving her opportunities to further herself. They give chances to people that show a hard-working spirit and a hunger to learn more. They even put me into the schooling program that they have where you basically have your classes paid off while working. They're very kind of their employers and they give them a lot of opportunities that I don't see often now. The building was always updated and maintained and with every holiday there was something special going on that the CEO did for us. Whether it be a card or coming by to say hello. Birthdays were exciting along with anniversary dates and fun Friday.
Pros
Kind
Cons
If I didn't move, I would have never left.
Accounts Receivable Collections Specialist (Former Employee) –  Madison, INSeptember 30, 2018
Wonderful place to work. I would have never left if I had not have moved. I recommend working at Grote to anyone looking for a family to work for. Fair. Accounts Receivable was definitely under paid with the work load compared to other departments. The pay level definitely underpaid for the work that that department handles and I believe that HR should wake up and appreciate what the AR department is a great asset to the company.
Pros
family oriented, advancement
Cons
favoritism within management
Im a hard worker that takes pride in his job
Production Associate (Current Employee) –  Madison, INAugust 5, 2018
Im confident i will do a very good job wherever im placed. I work very well with others. Ive had years of experience in the warehouse area. Including forklits wall behind lifts. Picker and stand up lifts
Pros
Good poeple
I am happy working at Grote Industries
Accounts Payables Clerk (Current Employee) –  Madison, INJuly 15, 2018
I am happy working at Grote Industries; I love what I do at my job.
I have learned so much they gave me the opportunity to work with them, and I learned so much. The environment at work is friendly, and the people work as a team, and everyone is willing to explain and correct and help me to succeed.
Grote Industries is Horrible
Contract Electrical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Madison, INJanuary 28, 2018
Grote Industries hires a team of contractors and then just lets them all go and brings in another batch. They make many promises but never deliver. In short, don't work there.
I liked my co-workers
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Madison, IN 47250July 19, 2017
Working in a factory was stressful. The work was sometimes hard and dirty. I worked all the overtime I was offered. I rose to the highest pay grade I could get. I decided to go back to school and got a Bachelors degree in Business Administration. I became a supervisor but decided again to get another degree in Elementary education.
Pros
Grote helped me with part of the cost of my degree
Cons
Factory work
It is a good company if you want to stay in small historic town
Designer/Drafter (Former Employee) –  Madison, INJune 6, 2017
Good company, no too much of growth and advancement. A little outdated on polices and motivation.

The company is growing at a global scale, but since it is a family company it is very limited on what they can achieve.
An average workplace
MARKETING ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Madison, INApril 6, 2017
An average workplace. Nothing outstanding that stands out. At the same time not a bad place to work either. People tend to stay for long periods of time, making it hard to advance.
Loved my job
Budget Analyst (Former Employee) –  Madison, INMarch 27, 2017
Grote was a very enjoyable place to work. I learned so much that I was able to take with me to my other jobs. Would definitely recommend working here.
Grote
2nd and 3rd shift Manager (Current Employee) –  Madison, INJanuary 25, 2017
I really enjoy working at Grote. The management team is very good and they do care about their employees. The work and private life balance is very good.
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
pay
Ok place to work ,just hot in summer
Assembler (Former Employee) –  Madison, INDecember 29, 2016
Mostly line work .to assemble parts .Got along with management .Loved my Co-workers. It was hot in the summer ,not really enjoyable ,it was hard work . Can't be lazy at this job ....18 years ,left because I relocated ...
Pros
Good health Insurance, retirement plan
Cons
Fast pace work
small family environment
Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Madison, INNovember 9, 2016
small/ medium sized company.

Lot of scope to take as many responsibilities. Direct and easy communication with top management.

Fresh emphasis on engineering.
Family run, progresssive world-wide company
Regional OEM Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  IndianaNovember 2, 2016
I handled the West Coast from Atlanta. this was not a great hire on their part. I did however drive a major program to completion with Hyundai Translead. In the time I was there, I did build a $9.5M pipeline, verifiable. The OEM Sales manager was weak and generally not very truthful, but this was driven from the top down.

the people within the company were great and the product was fantastic, a very innovative company.
Pros
Pleanty of lattitde
Cons
None really
good place to work
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Madison, INAugust 16, 2016
it is a laid back place to work maybe to laidback for some
the hours are good and pay is alright I worked there for 22years and was treaded good until my last year
This was a decent paying job when I was there. Hours werent bad
Storekeeper (Former Employee) –  Madison, INJuly 26, 2016
I spent 20 years with the company. At times it was a good place to work and others not so good. It would come and go just as Management did.
Nice town and culture, unstable workplace structure.
Optical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Madison, INJune 5, 2016
Grote offers a slightly lower than average salary for the engineering field, but the office culture is supportive. Benefits are unexpectedly large, with discounts to many recreational events in the area.

They have plants across 5 continents, so it's likely that you may get to travel to Germany, China, Canada or Mexico.

Unfortunately, employees/management is restructured about once every 6 months, and they tend to lay people off in large chunks with no warning.

Virtually no opportunities for career advancement.
Pros
Great work/life balance
Cons
No advancement or job security
Good work environment
Executive's Intern (Former Employee) –  Madison, INMarch 10, 2016
Small family business. Co-workers are really nice and helpful. Down to earth CEO. A typical day at work includes market research, administrative work.
I have found that the middle management requires you to treat them like a supreme being and they are sneaky in how they treat lower management.
Warehouse/Distribution Center Manager (Current Employee) –  Madison, InDecember 29, 2015
I would not recommend the company as an opportunity to grow and develop in and they leave you in term oil as far as being stable in your job
Pros
The staff are good people that are trying to keep there jobs and they work hard
Cons
Middle management can not be trusted
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Madison, INFebruary 26, 2015
Could use better upper Management... But I really enjoyed my job...
Pack parts for other companies sent UPS or FEDEX....The HR department are very unfair that is all I have to say...............................................................................
Pros
Good Enviroment
Cons
Upper Management in HR

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Grote. Our community is ready to answer.

Grote Reviews by Location