Groundwater & Environmental Services

Groundwater & Environmental Services Employee Reviews

United States18 reviews
I will not be reviewing GES. While I learned a lot while working at GES, I became burned out. My immediate boss was terrific. I left because I had other career interests.
When I worked at GES we ended up calling the Department of Labor for wage violations. Guess what? We won. (Look it up in the Pittsburgh Tribune) Everyone in the office got a settlement.
I was also wrongly terminated and the company withheld wages from me. They ended up paying a settlement to me which was 3x my last check. Please do not work this company. The best thing to ever happen from working there was being wrongfully terminated.
I worked at GES for 13 years from 2006 to 2019. Only left to move to Florida and a transfer was not available at the time. I experienced a full growth of my career from a junior geo to a Senior PM with program-level responsibilities and a office full of strong direct report staff.
Company has been improving greatly over the past few years on unifying and streamlining their operations processes, with positive results.
Pros
Good working culture, good work-life balance, career growth is very possible.
Treated terribly. I was told to do repetitive admin tasks, was insulted. Safety requirements are ridiculous. Awful management, very unfriendly, corporate, and negative. Wasted my time, and had to quit due to lack of work and not being trained to do what I was hired for. Felt discriminated against and was insulted. Don't work here...
Pros
Free lunches, training in safety...not much good to say!!
Cons
Culture is negative, uninspiring, corporate, and impersonal...poor pay, no chance for advancement. Rude people
Terrible management, high turnover rate, and deplorable work life balance.

The interview is the only time a hiring manager will respect anything you have to say.

After your 1 week crash course they call a training seminar, you are thrown to the sharks and left to fully furnish your company vehicle with everything you could ever need while in the field. This is costly and Its expected that you pay for everything: tools, tolls, gas, etc.

While I was hired to work out of the office in western PA, my PM was in Philly and was impossible to communicate my needs to. Again, while I was hired to work out of western PA, an overwhelming majority my time was spent driving to central and eastern PA to work. This required weekly hotel stays and a depressing work life balance.

Do not work here. Do not accept contract work with promises of a full time position. You deserve better.
Pros
Competitive pay, high safety standards
Cons
Everything else
Leave a review. Help people like you.
This is a good starting company for someone looking to get into the environmental field. Good exposure to many different disciplines and clients. Fair compensation for starting workers, poor salary increases and no incentive bonuses for good performance.
Pros
Good starting company
Cons
Poor salary, no bonuses
Good Outfit. Good people. Good team. Good office. Close to home, no overnight stays. Relaxed environment, kid friendly. Great place to develop a career.
Pros
Free lunches
Company provided low cost services and delivered low quality products due to non-standard management practices like package pricing. Work culture is poor. Management was only concerned with client satisfaction and did not seem to care if employees were happy. The company was very unstable leading to multiple rounds of layoffs. Offices are encouraged to complete with each other for work instead of working as a team. Salaries were below average.
Pros
Safety oriented culture
Cons
Lack of job security, poor management, internal competition
Great place to work, great organization. Good people on all levels. Really appreciated the structure of the company, work orders for field staff really made a difference.
This company has a very high turnover rate. 13 out of approximately 15 positions have been turned over in the last 2 years. I attribute this to poor local management. Also the region has been overlooked at the corporate level and left in the hands of people who lack relevant experience.
Pros
Opportunity to work for major clients
Cons
Poor Management, Little recognition
Its a good job, I have fun at the job. What you get paid when you start your job is pretty much what you're going to get. Don't expect good raises or promotions
Pros
Fieldwork
Cons
pay, no opportunity for advancement
Groundwater & Environmental Services, Inc. has no identity of itself. There is no cohesiveness, top to bottom. They would like you to believe that this company is a perfect place to work , with the best minds, and utmost attention to safety. They don't really care about safety...only the numbers associated with safety. Bright minds, yes, but all for themselves, with little upward potential unless you belong to a click.
Pros
nice offices
Cons
sterile, cold, selfish people
Operations level - good group on local level.
Corporate level - Self-preservation oriented.
Pros
Casual office atmosphere
Cons
"CYA" is the primary policy, No employee loyalty, Job is the bare basics of environmental geology, Not an intellectually challenging atmosphere.
Good work environment with a lot of travel for work. Co-workers are nice people. Typical day can range from 8-5 to 6-6. Office hours and field hours range.
Laid off after less than 1 year of service due to lack of work... made me wonder why I was hired in the first place. Too much micro-management, too many managers. Company feeds off oil companies
Pros
Good Benefits, Culture of Safety
Cons
Culture of Safety, Company doesnt bid on work other than from oil companies
Mundane and monotonous routine. Management was not interested in training junior employees. Excessive travel for below average compensation was the norm. Mass hiring and subsequent layoffs were commonplace. There was an extremely high turnover rate amongst employees that weren't laid off. Morale was extremely low during the entirety of my tenure with the company. Not a conducive environment for a burgeoning career as a scientist.
Pros
...
Cons
numerous.
This company is a good example of corporate pigs taking advantage of their staff.
Pros
occasional free pizza at lunch, good coffee
Cons
very quiet atmosphere. little human interaction
When I was with GES, there was a very low company morale, and a very high turnover rate of 37%. The salary was low, in comparison to similar positions with other firms. Most people left after one or two years. Additionally, senior management would cater excessively to client demands, and did not hesitate to make personnel changes upon their demands. This created a low morale and a disconnect between local employees and senior management.
Pros
cooworkers were all very pleasant to work with, easy commute
Cons
not challenged to learn, low salary, catered too much to client needs and no loyalty to the employees, creating low morale and high turnover.