Group 1 Automotive Employee Reviews

Great company!
General Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Freehold, NJNovember 10, 2018
Working here was awesome. Great benefits, company car which is going away in most dealerships. Company cared about their employees, Been good working there.
Professional
Used Car Manager, Sale Conultant (Current Employee) –  Rockwall, TXNovember 8, 2018
It's the first publicly traded automotive dealership I have ever worked for. I have taken advantage of their benefits, 401k, and Stock Purchase program.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
lack of management intervention
No opinions allowed at this company unless you make 300k+ per year
Human Resources Administrator (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 5, 2018
Money hungry corporate world. They don't care at all about their employees. If I would make a suggestion or complain, my boss told me the stock price is all that matters.
Not too shabby
Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 17, 2018
Working in the car industry is cut throat already, but mix in poor management in place at some locations and broken systems and it’s a nightmare. Pay isn’t fair for the amount of bologna you put up with nor does it cover the cost of living. I love this company for the experience I’ve gained and really being able to grow my skill set. I had to eat a lot of crow though. It seems like the need of the business is a priority over the employees sometimes though.
Pros
Benefits, lots of different positions
Cons
Management, low pay, expensive benefits
Do not work here
SCHEDULING DEPARTMENT COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 14, 2018
They pay you for training which is a pro but everything changes once you are on the floor. You are micromanaged, and the management does not care how hard you work or how much you put into your job. The second you make a mistake they hold it against you. They don’t really look at the good you’ve done. No one really stays here and those that do gossip and yes that’s team leads and management as well. Every single person I’ve worked with here gets fed up with the favoritism they play. They also will cut lunches at last minutes notice so don’t ever make plans to run an errand on your lunch break. They also don’t understand yes this job is easy but there are days when you get outrageous stressful calls, and sometimes need to step away, but God forbid you take a personal to collect yourself. Oh and don’t rely on dealerships to ever call customers back, the customers will just call you and yell at you because the dealerships don’t call them back. Over all a call center for this many dealerships is a very bad business idea for the customer.
Pros
Money
Cons
Poor management
Productive and competitive
Receptionist / Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKOctober 13, 2018
I loved working for group 1 and was very sad about leaving. My managers taught me a lot about the car business and how to be a professional. I loved my job and all the people I worked with. Group 1 is a great company to work for.
Pros
Very professional
Cons
Not enough raises
Terrible place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Gulfport, MSOctober 9, 2018
They will bring you in and begin training (which is nothing more than you watching videos and answering the questions with quizlet) Once the videos are done, they throw you onto the sales floor with no training on the paperwork. Do not get comfortable with any MGT figures as they quit or get themselves fired, weekly. Those that do end up staying will go out of there way to insult you and/or to keep the high school drama going. Also they will hire in the most incompetent people who become MGT, who then will screw everything up. This goes for buying of cars. You will lose sales because of this. The dealership I worked at went from selling over 120 cars a month to less than 50. The company will screw you over every day on your deals. You will never make any money within this system of theirs. 12 hour days 5 times a week. So you will not have a personal life. Avoid any dealership that is run by this company. Trust me you will thank me for warning you
Pros
They feed you on Saturdays/ You get to go home
Cons
The upmost worst experience in my entire life.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Maple Shade, NJOctober 8, 2018
The upmost worst experience in my entire life.I never worked in a culture where management staff treats everybody everyone like children. In addition to that you have managers you talk to customers and employees like their special needs. Absolutely the worst working environment .Prospective employees Beware!
really good company
F&I Manager (Former Employee) –  Richardson, TXOctober 5, 2018
pretty good company, where they give you the chance to learn and move up, if I could go back I'd definitely go back. maybe in the future but now now. aver all was a good experience
Dont get dragged in by the money. The stress isnt worth it!!
Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Rockwall, TXSeptember 18, 2018
Doesn't care for the employees, over worked. Yea you work 4 days a week but you are always coming in on your day off to follow-up on stuff or you get in trouble for leaving stuff hung out. You are just a number and nothing more with group one.
Pros
Money
Cons
Management and screwing customers
great place to work
Office Manager/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bedford, NHSeptember 12, 2018
loved working for group 1 automotive for the last 11 years. Husband was transferred to California for work, I would love to work for them again if the opportunity became available.
Pros
great company to work for
Cons
had to leave
accounting Center
General Accountant (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 12, 2018
overall the plain forty hours per week, except on month end.
Required to work over 8 hours per day but they try to cut the over time by letting people go home after month end days.
Great place to work but doesn't pay
Internet Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Williamson County, TXSeptember 5, 2018
This place would be an ideal workplace if they paid their employees better. Management is great to work with. The most fun I have had in the car business, but I had to leave due to the pay plan being the weakest I have ever worked for. Would consider going back as finance or sales manager but not to sell cars.
Pros
fun environment, great people, meet new people daily, motivating managers
Cons
only con is the store's payplan is the weakest I have witnessed
Group 1 Job Review
Call Agent (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 28, 2018
Group 1 is a great place to work and also teaches you amazing people skills and patience, it is a fun filled environment where everyone is there to help and answer any questions you may have.
Never work for this company
Service Writer / Sales (Former Employee) –  Columbus, GAAugust 26, 2018
Poor Management who does not properly train their employees and then have unspoken expectations. Corporate tells you its all about the client but the local dealership allows the technicians to dictate when and what the want to work on. Customers wait days or weeks for repairs due to incapable and lazy technicians. As a service writer, you have to deal with upset clients all the time. Trust no one at this company, they will be nice to your face and turn around and stab you in the back.
Very poor place to work.
Manager (Former Employee) –  TexasAugust 25, 2018
Was forced into a management position and never trained for it. Horrible employees got away with murder daily and nothing done about it. I was forced to do their job while they still got paid. Bad work turned out daily and still management did nothing. Good employees ripped off daily. Do not work for this company. You will be over worked, stressed and have nothing when you leave.
poor management
Sterling Mccall Nissan Service Adviser (Current Employee) –  Stafford, TXAugust 23, 2018
always ready to fire someone , not a good place to stay long term cause you never know when you going to get fired even if you put all your effort into it
Choose somewhere else
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Egg Harbor Township, NJAugust 21, 2018
The way they run this place is terrible. Training for me and a couple of other people was watching videos and quizzes for 4 days and that's it. Sell cars the next day. They expect us to know all the terminology and tricks when all we learned was about the features of the cars. HORRIBLE management. Managers can be seen and heard YELLING at salesmen in the dealership while customers are there. Completely unprofessional. At least 44 hrs/week, call you on your days off asking you to come in, other salesmen will try to steal your deals, and short breaks. They try to get you by saying that you'll be making a lot of money BUT that's only if you sell at least 15 cars/month. And you do that by building your customer base which is EXTREMELY difficult.
Pros
Free pizza on Saturdays
Cons
Short breaks, horrible management, misscommunication everywhere, split days off, long hours, terrible work life balance
Worst job ever!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TexasAugust 10, 2018
Selling cars and meeting people were enjoyable at this place, however the management and team were horrible. The ad says no experience needed so you would think you would be trained but NOPE, you are left alone to figure it out on your own. You cannot ask for help because everyone was too busy and too intimidating to ask. It’s only a 4 day work week because you have to work from 845am-8pm, even at that you only got a Sunday (because they are closed) and another day off. No one will communicate with you and look at you as if why are you asking this question. Once you finally do get a sale and stop someone to show you how to do it, they will half the sale with you because they had to go out of their way to help you. Only training you get is what you find on the website and if you reminded them you are new they will talk about you behind your back. Only lasted a few days and I hated it. I feel the job would have been great but just poor communication with everyone.
Pros
Nothing, but got to test drive cars is the only pro
Cons
Management, team, employees already working there, and no teamwork
This by far is the best company to work for
General Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Rockwall, TXAugust 1, 2018
I have been in the industry for 30 years and have seen and done all.
Some say “same place different name on the building”
But at Group1,
You have a job to do and when you do it well people notice, praise and in time you will get promoted.
It’s all what you want to make of it.
Sales side of it is great, Big inventory’s with great pay.
Stock discounts, medical insurance and time off.
Did I mention a Fortune 500 company!
General managers have an open door policy, so if you need help or have a concern they listen.
Pros
Great environment
Cons
Plenty of coffee

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Group 1 Automotive. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9