Group 1 Automotive Employee Reviews

Working for the company
MANAGER TRANIEE (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TXJanuary 8, 2019
I believe Group 1 is great company to work for, just chose your work site carefully. As far as corporate, it's an ideal environment. Everyone seems to be happy. If you plan on working with one of the dealerships, make sure the management team ideals are something you agree with.
Pros
healthcare, free saturday lunch
Lots of hours for not market pay
Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 3, 2019
I enjoyed the people and culture at Group 1. The only problem is that they do not pay market and you are expected to work a ton of overtime. Great learning experience but cons to think about.
Improvements need to be made to make this place right
Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCDecember 18, 2018
To start this review, I was in the service department & dealt with many managers & they were all great for the most part.
Willing to help and ready to push you forward (in a good way) they would commend you in front of everyone & quietly to the side let you know if you messed up or where to improve.
From that, the hours are just terrible for my field. Hopefully it has improved but always being short handed was our issue. Striving to give 110% all the time burns you out quick. Work life balance is hard when you are averaging 55 hours a week. Saturdays, if you work are just heII. Lunch is provided but you have to eat while moving.

They do offer a decent benefits package. Many hospitals/doctors near me were out of Network but I didn't die. Compensation however needs/needed work.
I was paid more during the first few months of employment and deducted down after I had the position for a few months. The payplan is nice and helps, but not getting any payout from parts/tires really does hurt.

Ultimately I left because something better came along. I do wish the company luck & hope it has improved since my time there.

Great atmosphere without all the customers...
Pros
Free lunch on Saturdays, Good Benefits, Great Management, Employees are some of the best
Cons
Under-Staffed, Crazy Hours, Payplan needs work
Avoid at all costs
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Danvers, MADecember 11, 2018
Provided zero training after hire. Flood sales floor to the point it exceeds business. Rips off customers and laughs about it (although they will tell you it’s nothing like the old car business). No direct system for handing out leads, same 3 guys who constantly complain get hooks and make all the money. Daily sales meetings where you are continuously asked to perform like a trained monkey and get embarrassed no matter how much experience or seniority you have. If you happen to be socializing with co-workers, and a manager walks by, you will be scolded like you are in the 3rd grade. A typical day may include cold calling 20+ times, mostly to dead leads when you are new, or being asked to drive 1+ hour and receiving no extra incentive.
Great company
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Panama City, FLDecember 10, 2018
Great company to work for, very involved in the security of employees and family. Benefits, stock options and 401 k available to all employees. Must want to learn and be a self starter.
Good Company with solid security
SALES PROFESSIONAL/SALES MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXDecember 5, 2018
Good Company to work for. Do listen to employees, but are more focused on bottom line than an individual. I would recommend anyone to work for them for the security that they offer.
Stay far far away
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Egg Harbor townshipNovember 18, 2018
Terrible management, especially at the EHT,NJ location. Had so much shady things going on. Pay was never right. Had us lie to customer. Not enough money to, be made nor do they care about you. Managers lie very high turn over in sales very happy I got out of there
Pros
Non
Cons
Good place in many areas, terrible in important ones
Customer Development Call Center, Senior Agent (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 13, 2018
I enjoy what I do most of the time, Group 1 as a company (whole) is great, my internal position is terrible as the mid-level management is terrible. Too many non-productive "rules" none applied equally or in equitable fashion. Nepotism a norm. Only company I have ever worked for that using your sick days (even for a legitimate, documented illness) can cost you your bonus, already earned, for that month.
Pros
Discounts car purchases
Cons
Management, nepotism, favoritism
Great company!
General Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Freehold, NJNovember 10, 2018
Working here was awesome. Great benefits, company car which is going away in most dealerships. Company cared about their employees, Been good working there.
Professional
Used Car Manager, Sale Conultant (Current Employee) –  Rockwall, TXNovember 8, 2018
It's the first publicly traded automotive dealership I have ever worked for. I have taken advantage of their benefits, 401k, and Stock Purchase program.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
lack of management intervention
No opinions allowed at this company unless you make 300k+ per year
Human Resources Administrator (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 5, 2018
Money hungry corporate world. They don't care at all about their employees. If I would make a suggestion or complain, my boss told me the stock price is all that matters.
Not too shabby
Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 17, 2018
Working in the car industry is cut throat already, but mix in poor management in place at some locations and broken systems and it’s a nightmare. Pay isn’t fair for the amount of bologna you put up with nor does it cover the cost of living. I love this company for the experience I’ve gained and really being able to grow my skill set. I had to eat a lot of crow though. It seems like the need of the business is a priority over the employees sometimes though.
Pros
Benefits, lots of different positions
Cons
Management, low pay, expensive benefits
Do not work here
SCHEDULING DEPARTMENT COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 14, 2018
They pay you for training which is a pro but everything changes once you are on the floor. You are micromanaged, and the management does not care how hard you work or how much you put into your job. The second you make a mistake they hold it against you. They don’t really look at the good you’ve done. No one really stays here and those that do gossip and yes that’s team leads and management as well. Every single person I’ve worked with here gets fed up with the favoritism they play. They also will cut lunches at last minutes notice so don’t ever make plans to run an errand on your lunch break. They also don’t understand yes this job is easy but there are days when you get outrageous stressful calls, and sometimes need to step away, but God forbid you take a personal to collect yourself. Oh and don’t rely on dealerships to ever call customers back, the customers will just call you and yell at you because the dealerships don’t call them back. Over all a call center for this many dealerships is a very bad business idea for the customer.
Pros
Money
Cons
Poor management
Productive and competitive
Receptionist / Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKOctober 13, 2018
I loved working for group 1 and was very sad about leaving. My managers taught me a lot about the car business and how to be a professional. I loved my job and all the people I worked with. Group 1 is a great company to work for.
Pros
Very professional
Cons
Not enough raises
Terrible place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Gulfport, MSOctober 9, 2018
They will bring you in and begin training (which is nothing more than you watching videos and answering the questions with quizlet) Once the videos are done, they throw you onto the sales floor with no training on the paperwork. Do not get comfortable with any MGT figures as they quit or get themselves fired, weekly. Those that do end up staying will go out of there way to insult you and/or to keep the high school drama going. Also they will hire in the most incompetent people who become MGT, who then will screw everything up. This goes for buying of cars. You will lose sales because of this. The dealership I worked at went from selling over 120 cars a month to less than 50. The company will screw you over every day on your deals. You will never make any money within this system of theirs. 12 hour days 5 times a week. So you will not have a personal life. Avoid any dealership that is run by this company. Trust me you will thank me for warning you
Pros
They feed you on Saturdays/ You get to go home
Cons
The upmost worst experience in my entire life.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Maple Shade, NJOctober 8, 2018
The upmost worst experience in my entire life.I never worked in a culture where management staff treats everybody everyone like children. In addition to that you have managers you talk to customers and employees like their special needs. Absolutely the worst working environment .Prospective employees Beware!
really good company
F&I Manager (Former Employee) –  Richardson, TXOctober 5, 2018
pretty good company, where they give you the chance to learn and move up, if I could go back I'd definitely go back. maybe in the future but now now. aver all was a good experience
Dont get dragged in by the money. The stress isnt worth it!!
Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Rockwall, TXSeptember 18, 2018
Doesn't care for the employees, over worked. Yea you work 4 days a week but you are always coming in on your day off to follow-up on stuff or you get in trouble for leaving stuff hung out. You are just a number and nothing more with group one.
Pros
Money
Cons
Management and screwing customers
great place to work
Office Manager/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bedford, NHSeptember 12, 2018
loved working for group 1 automotive for the last 11 years. Husband was transferred to California for work, I would love to work for them again if the opportunity became available.
Pros
great company to work for
Cons
had to leave
accounting Center
General Accountant (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 12, 2018
overall the plain forty hours per week, except on month end.
Required to work over 8 hours per day but they try to cut the over time by letting people go home after month end days.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Group 1 Automotive. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9