Group 1 Automotive Employee Reviews

Dont get dragged in by the money. The stress isnt worth it!!
Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Rockwall, TXSeptember 18, 2018
Doesn't care for the employees, over worked. Yea you work 4 days a week but you are always coming in on your day off to follow-up on stuff or you get in trouble for leaving stuff hung out. You are just a number and nothing more with group one.
Pros
Money
Cons
Management and screwing customers
great place to work
Office Manager/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bedford, NHSeptember 12, 2018
loved working for group 1 automotive for the last 11 years. Husband was transferred to California for work, I would love to work for them again if the opportunity became available.
Pros
great company to work for
Cons
had to leave
Great place to work but doesn't pay
Internet Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Williamson County, TXSeptember 5, 2018
This place would be an ideal workplace if they paid their employees better. Management is great to work with. The most fun I have had in the car business, but I had to leave due to the pay plan being the weakest I have ever worked for. Would consider going back as finance or sales manager but not to sell cars.
Pros
fun environment, great people, meet new people daily, motivating managers
Cons
only con is the store's payplan is the weakest I have witnessed
Group 1 Job Review
Call Agent (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 28, 2018
Group 1 is a great place to work and also teaches you amazing people skills and patience, it is a fun filled environment where everyone is there to help and answer any questions you may have.
Never work for this company
Service Writer / Sales (Former Employee) –  Columbus, GAAugust 26, 2018
Poor Management who does not properly train their employees and then have unspoken expectations. Corporate tells you its all about the client but the local dealership allows the technicians to dictate when and what the want to work on. Customers wait days or weeks for repairs due to incapable and lazy technicians. As a service writer, you have to deal with upset clients all the time. Trust no one at this company, they will be nice to your face and turn around and stab you in the back.
Very poor place to work.
Manager (Former Employee) –  TexasAugust 25, 2018
Was forced into a management position and never trained for it. Horrible employees got away with murder daily and nothing done about it. I was forced to do their job while they still got paid. Bad work turned out daily and still management did nothing. Good employees ripped off daily. Do not work for this company. You will be over worked, stressed and have nothing when you leave.
poor management
Sterling Mccall Nissan Service Adviser (Current Employee) –  Stafford, TXAugust 23, 2018
always ready to fire someone , not a good place to stay long term cause you never know when you going to get fired even if you put all your effort into it
Choose somewhere else
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Egg Harbor Township, NJAugust 21, 2018
The way they run this place is terrible. Training for me and a couple of other people was watching videos and quizzes for 4 days and that's it. Sell cars the next day. They expect us to know all the terminology and tricks when all we learned was about the features of the cars. HORRIBLE management. Managers can be seen and heard YELLING at salesmen in the dealership while customers are there. Completely unprofessional. At least 44 hrs/week, call you on your days off asking you to come in, other salesmen will try to steal your deals, and short breaks. They try to get you by saying that you'll be making a lot of money BUT that's only if you sell at least 15 cars/month. And you do that by building your customer base which is EXTREMELY difficult.
Pros
Free pizza on Saturdays
Cons
Short breaks, horrible management, misscommunication everywhere, split days off, long hours, terrible work life balance
Worst job ever!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TexasAugust 10, 2018
Selling cars and meeting people were enjoyable at this place, however the management and team were horrible. The ad says no experience needed so you would think you would be trained but NOPE, you are left alone to figure it out on your own. You cannot ask for help because everyone was too busy and too intimidating to ask. It’s only a 4 day work week because you have to work from 845am-8pm, even at that you only got a Sunday (because they are closed) and another day off. No one will communicate with you and look at you as if why are you asking this question. Once you finally do get a sale and stop someone to show you how to do it, they will half the sale with you because they had to go out of their way to help you. Only training you get is what you find on the website and if you reminded them you are new they will talk about you behind your back. Only lasted a few days and I hated it. I feel the job would have been great but just poor communication with everyone.
Pros
Nothing, but got to test drive cars is the only pro
Cons
Management, team, employees already working there, and no teamwork
This by far is the best company to work for
General Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Rockwall, TXAugust 1, 2018
I have been in the industry for 30 years and have seen and done all.
Some say “same place different name on the building”
But at Group1,
You have a job to do and when you do it well people notice, praise and in time you will get promoted.
It’s all what you want to make of it.
Sales side of it is great, Big inventory’s with great pay.
Stock discounts, medical insurance and time off.
Did I mention a Fortune 500 company!
General managers have an open door policy, so if you need help or have a concern they listen.
Pros
Great environment
Cons
Plenty of coffee
Not the best environment, but not the worst
Service Coordinator/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 27, 2018
The day was very busy and it didn't allow a very flexible schedule. You had a very strict adherence policy to their timing due to it being a call center, not much flexibility
Pros
nice breakroom
Cons
not room for advancement
My Review Summary
New and Used Director (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 19, 2018
I have been working for Group 1 Auto for a little over 10 years I'm no longer with the company but during my time with the company it have been the most amazing experience and learning that I can ever ask for. The company have help me grow so much and supported me and my family.
Group 1 Automotive
Accounts Payable Processor (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 18, 2018
I learned how to deal with client, third party. Workplace culture is work hard and have fun. Coworkers are friendly there and the manager is nice to us.
Great Enviroment
Health insurance
Vacation
Organization
Respect and ethic,
Pros
Great Company
Great company
Internet Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 16, 2018
Great people to work for. Very professional. Very dependable company to work for. Great benefits. Great hours. Fun atmosphere, always looked forward to coming into work.
Great shop/ work environment. Poor pay and long hours.
Express Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Panama City, FLJuly 14, 2018
The good, super laid back atmosphere while still getting the jobs done. Shop foreman very knowledge and always makes himself available if you need help or have questions. Company provided tool box. The shop itself is the cleanest I have ever seen. Discount on new car sales.

The bad, poor management. Lack of HR dept. Interview process took place via text messages. Pay was quoted at $xx.xx per hour, pay is actually $xx.xx per hour while you have a car in your bay. If your bay is empty, you are receiving minimum wage (this was not disclosed during interview). This method of pay would be acceptable if the local dealership had the service side business to support it, however they do NOT.
Too corporate to function
Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Grapevine, TXJuly 11, 2018
This company is so formal about their generic training, for most positions you'll be sent to training in Houston for three days, everything you're told is the opposite of what actually occurs on a day to day operation. You get three different ways your suppose to do something (manufacturer, Manager and Group 1). It all depends on who is there and watching. The teamwork at my location was so horrible that I did not trust any of my coworkers to not throw me under the bus to make themselves look better. Really had to watch your back. Work life balance was horrendous. They do this 4 day work week schedule where you have to cram everything into those days and you're still held accountable for anything that goes on while you're off, most of the time you will have to come in to work on your day off for at least an hour or two. The only awesome part of that schedule is you get 5 days off in a row each month and the schedule is released a year out so you don't really need to use vacation time. The pay was great but at the end of the day I ended up realizing no amount of money is worth the amount of stress this place creates.
Pros
Pay, generous amount of time off
Cons
management, business model, stress, no teamwork.
Would not recommend
Technician (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXJuly 9, 2018
Cut throat work environment. Work load not distributed fairly, way too much favoritism.
Penalize the most qualified and experienced technicians and feed the ones that can diagnose or are buddies with management.
Pros
None come to mind
Cons
Health care costs too high, hostile working environment
Job security with no growth
Payroll Administrator (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 3, 2018
Group 1 auto is a good company to work for if you want job security with no career advancement. I initially signed on to work for Group 1 because they mentioned growth, which is something i was looking for. First year and a half I saw that. When new management came, everything just halted.
Temp help
Administrative Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 27, 2018
5 days a week, 40 hours
Good location
Hard worker
No paid days off
Learned alot

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Group 1 Automotive. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9