Group SJR Employee Reviews

You meet good people in the trenches, but you're in the trenches
Associate Editor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 11, 2018
I met some excellent people during my time at SJR, but the place was in a lot of ways a mess. Prior to a move to Midtown, the company occupied a hip space in the Flatiron, which was a bit run down but had hardwood floors, Edison bulbs everywhere, and a sense of community. It felt like more of a scrappy start-up and things like a slow moving accounting department and a small HR staff seemed like part and parcel.

Unfortunately after the move the disorganization remained while the culture lost some of its vibrancy in a more traditional corporate environment where the walls are painted white once a month. (The wall painting thing might be on building management but it's still very weird and unpleasant if you're sensitive to smells.)

The move also brought a change in the HR department, which got new staff without growing. During my time here I repeatedly requested my annual review (a requirement for even cost of living adjustments) and it never happened. Meanwhile somebody with the same start date as me got their review on time, and a hefty raise.

There are some very talented creatives here, and there are plenty of account people who know what they're doing and can manage like pros. Unfortunately, for quite some time there was very little coordination between them, which meant a creative team member's were responsible for informing their higher-ups of what assignments they could feasibly do on a regular basis.

I know that there are still talented people there, but when the company began a series of layoffs and began implementing some new organizational structures the
  more... company lost quite a few of its best people.

This company is stressful and at times cliquish, but your coworkers will have your back. The problem is you'll need that support frequently.
"Shots and Shoutouts" for free drinks every other Friday, convenient location, some exciting clients, good benefits through WPP
Flat management structure can be frustrating, curtailed WFH options which were once more generous, little communication behind decision making, high turnover
Productive and fun place to work
Account + Digital Project Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 10, 2014
Great community of young professional that think outside the box.

Want to know more about Group SJR?

Ask a question