GTL Employee Reviews

United States39 reviews
Wonderful employees but the stress level is off the scale. The company is experiencing growing pains but management is aware and working on solutions.
very well managed company with great CEO. Industry goes not always get portrayed positively but the products that GTL provide actually make the lives of inmates much better.
Merger has made a bad company worse. Look elsewhere. Customer support staff are overworked. Knowledgeable staff let go. No stability and compensation is below industry standards.
If you are not friends or family of the management you will not go anywhere I was thrown on overnights and the overnight team is treated very badly we never got to see out management team unless they came in early to yell at us. If we had question would never answer an email. I worked 44 days in a row then I asked for a day off and it was denied like are you kidding me. PAY is not worth the work they have you do either!!
GTL, otherwise known as Telmate in the Oregon office, is a bad company that takes advantage of their customers, their employees, as well as the inmates that we provide the service for.

My personal experience with this employer has included:

- lies about what I should expect from my supervisor

- lies about job advancement / training (there is no training once on the call floor)

- angry customers, with no training on how to deal with them (most customers are stuck with dealing with us, but we have no options to deescalate difficult situations, and end up being verbally abused because of issues with the company)

- there is no communication about issues with our services, I worked for 5-6 weeks straight where our systems were down, and customers could not do video visits with their inmates, and there was not a single email confirming what was going on or estimated time frame about the issue being resolved - it was madness

- no one at the job can give a concrete answer to any question - I have never worked a place that their catch phrase is "I don't know" - no one knows anything, regardless of their tenure, and trying to find a real answer is agonizing, if you ever get a response at all

---------------------------------------------------

This company overall has a very poor culture, a "sink or swim" mentality, and if you have an issue, you get ignored from the managers in the office as well as HR.

The longer you work for the company, the more you are ignored, regardless of performance. You can be a top performer, and there is no acknowledgment, no encouragement,
 - more...
Pros
decent pay for the area
Cons
no training, no structor
Job seekers rely on your experience.
Don't work for a company with people that are afraid to lead, and do the right thing when necessary. The directors who have people under them, are too worried about being able to work from home to do the right thing. HR seems to run everyone at the company, but not in a way that is safe or helpful. If you can help it, do not get a position where you report to the director of IT security and help desk. The culture at the corporate office is non-existent. There are polite people, but no one goes out to lunch together, happy hours, holiday and group events are not a thing, when I first started I mentioned company get togethers, but the EA and her boss both thought that wouldn't be a good idea. Simply because these people cannot get along with one another. This is an older crowd, these people are all too old, and grey, to bicker like senior citizens in a nursing home. Definitely not an environment I would recommend for a young professional. This Reston, VA office is depressing and they wholeheartedly believe in retaliation and workplace harassment.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Micro Management, Management was afraid of HR, HR was not supportive
At GTL you have a fair degree of autonomy in completing projects. However, multiple mergers and acquisitions have left the company facing many rounds of work force cuts. This has been a multi year operation. Every April the workforce must wonder if they will still be employed. Corporate has done nothing to assuage these very real issues and morale has never been lower. There is a great degree of uncertainty with which products will move forward or be wound down. Corporate has done the bare minimum to address changes to the environment. Over the past 2 years the company has continued to scale back the workforce. Entire offices have been closed and the workforce has been cut in almost every other office. Stability is not to be found. Job advancement opportunities are extremely limited if they exist at all. There is no structure within your own job placement for advancement. You will simply have the same job title with no significant wage increase from year to year.

Healthcare is well below industry standards. Every year of my tenure saw significant rises in premium costs while also providing less coverage. The HR team has been proud of this achievement in company wide emails. They do not understand or concern themselves with the average worker. Many offices still do not have an HR representative on site making communication very difficult. I worked in an office for 6 years that had over 100 people at one point with no HR representation. Staff in this office is fewer than 75 with future cuts likely.
Pros
Work/ Life balance
Cons
Healthcare, job security, management, lack of advancement opportunities
The management at this company is the worst I’ve ever seen. There’s no training and you can’t even leave your seat without asking for permission even if it’s going to the bathroom. The 2 managers for the help desk did nothing but talk to each other while you sat there answering phones
Cons
Every thing
I worked here for 6 months, the training doesn’t prepare you well. You learn as you go. The bonus is 725$ if you can pass all the qualifications. The pay is horrible for what you have to deal with. You can’t help the customers because the supervisors always have some kind of excuse. The research team never gets anything done in the time frame you tell the customers so when they call back they are even more mad. You get cussed out your entire shift and hmthe hours are horrible. You can’t move to day shift unless someone else leaves and they say It’s based office seniority which is a lie. This company needs a lot of improvement and help to keep employees, they have a high turnover rate and I just left because the management sucks. They don’t help you at all and pretty much you sink or swim. I would never recommend working here to anyone
Cons
A typical day begins with addressing customer emails, reviewing tasks related to each customer, participating in scheduled meetings both, internal and with our customers, customer training, and peer interaction. I learn something new everyday either by trial and error, from my peers or my manager. I believe GTL has a great culture when it comes to family time. The hardest part of the job for me is turning it off at night. I enjoy my peer interaction and creating impactful interactions for our customers.
Pros
Open Lines of Communication
Cons
Upward Mobility
Not a bad company ,need improvement on career advancement, need better benefits for employees ,need better set up for employees to achieve bonuses.
Pros
Easy going
Cons
Need more career advancement
worked for a year in a professional capacity with GTL. No serious onboarding, you are thrown to the wolves as soon as you join. Management is disjointed at best but talks a big talk about reducing silos and increasing communications between divisions. Sales promises everything to the customer and everyone else must make do on the promises. Development staff is very talented but backlog is immense. New CEO, new merger with Telmate = loss of a lot of productive and hardworking people. Too bad. "Coulda been a contender..."
Pros
working from home or office.
Cons
disjointed management strategies
This company cares about money....period! They make you answer a certain amount of calls and rush you to the next. Its only 10 bucks a hour where the national average is 15 bucks a hour. You qualify for a 700 buck bonus every month depending on your "Quality"... lol. No one rarely gets the entire 700. Most people will be lucky to get 200 dollars because they mark you off for every little thing. Its truly sad. Up the pay! Turnover rate is extremly high because of the low pay....you cant live off it. Every employee complains about the pay and they can care less as we make all the money for them. Straight slave culture. Take this review seriously because I just saved you a waste of your time. Dont believe me? Bring your tail out here then.
Pros
Not one thing!
Cons
Going home after a shift!
Stressful work environment, a few good managers, mostly poor. Little chance of advancement. Poor pay, considering on call work schedule. Normal corporate culture of passing the buck. Highly unethical business practices. Working with corectional staff is like smashing yourself in the head with a hammer daily.
Pros
Some time off
Cons
On call, stressful work
Most of my coworkers workers were awesome, but the department I was in had poor leadership and no direction. The job itself was slow paced and boring. No room for growth or advancement.
Pros
Free coffee/soda, decent pay
Cons
I didn't mind working for CCG who are the field management contractor for GTL. I was released on trumped up charges that could not be proven. My unemployment was denied. I challenged
the denial and during the hearing they could not prove any charges.

I keep in touch with several field techs and they didn't understand why I was released and I was considered a good tech. But they say I am lucky not to be there.
Pros
good support
Cons
aimlessness
Nice place to work; my biggest drawback, the desk were too close to the next desk. No privacy what so ever. The lunch hour went by rapidly. If I gained the chance to work there again? yes I would gladly do so.
Very cut throat and the company could care less that you have a personal life. You are to put the company first no matter what is going on in your personal life and/or family.
Pros
Cons
Many.
Most of the managers are great. They work to make the job nice however there isn't any room for advancement. The company offers great benefits. They are constantly merging and acquiring new business so job security may become a issue.
Pros
Nice Environment
Cons
No Advancement
When I first started I liked the job and people I work with, but after being there for over a year i see very little room for advancement in this job..
High level of competency required. Pretty typical workdays, hitting delivery dates is extremely important, missing a date is a cardinal sin. Developing code in this type of environment is extremely challenging. There are very few people that have knowledge of the full scope of the software in use, it was custom written from the ground up. This provided me with a hands on development environment that allowed me to gain a good background in the latest technology with regards to SIP, VOIP, and Android Development in general. The hardest part of the job was getting other departments to share information on their respective pieces of technology. The most enjoyable part of the job is the constant learning required to keep up.
Pros
Lots of exposure to advanced technology
Cons
The target dates or more important than quality and of work.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at GTL. Our community is ready to answer.
2.6
InHerSight Score
2.2Personal Development
3.4Career Opportunities
2.1Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight