Guardian Life Insurance Company Employee Reviews

A very good company that promotes a culture of innovation from within the company
Senior Technical Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 27, 2018
The company has re-branded itself within a year and therefore going through significant changes not only in management style but also in location, culture, technology innovation etc. in order to maintain its market position in this fiercely competitive market. Management is also concerned about some latest disruptions in the market place by Amazon, Google and JPMC. It keenly focuses on technical innovation and therefore organizes several technology conferences, hackathons, Innovation exhibitions and townhalls. The challenging or hardest part of the job was to strike the balance between innovation and mastery when leading the teams of professionals having different mindsets and within the budgetary constraints. The most enjoyable part of the job a freedom to suggest innovative solutions to some of the aging problems and also get constantly educated and trained.by Guardian Virtual University.
Pros
A culture of innovation, good salary and benefits
not a good place to work
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Appleton, WIOctober 31, 2018
This is not a good place to work anymore. It used to be good 20 years ago but now it is a hot mess. They outsource EVERYTHING and do not treat their onshore representatives very well. in 2015 they laid off 50 employees due to outsourcing and then a couple months later they had a job fair and re filled all of those positions. Many of the people let go had been at Guardian 20 years or more. Their bottom line is CORPORATE GREED. As long as they make money and a lot of it off of sick and dying people, they don't care about anyone else. You are lucky if you get a an increase during your annual review and if you do its maybe 1%. They have a HIGH TURNOVER at Guardian.
Pros
decent benefits
Cons
everything else
Good place to work. Full range of benefits, collegial employees
Training Prog Dev / Management Dev Spec (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 14, 2019
This is a good place to work. They offer a full range of benefits ranging from Healthcare, vision, dental, vacation days, sick days, etc.

Because the company is rather lean, there is more than enough work to keep you occupied. Often there are short deadlines to be handled but that teaches you to be resourceful and leverage the subject matter experts in the company. Thankfully, the environment here is collegial, so it is not too hard to enlist someone's help.
Terrible Place
Employee (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 16, 2018
Management prioritizes their "friends" over people who get work done. Other employees will take credit for someone else's work (even when there is evidence proving otherwise) and HR will ignore these issues. The HR department lives up to every bad stereotype you can imagine. I say stay away if at all possible.
Pros
Lots of insurance benefits
Cons
A culture of nasty, lazy people who don't value hard work
Strong Leadership, reputable firm
Executive Assistant to the CEO (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 7, 2018
Great respect for my direct supervisor. Although not many opportunities available for training or career advancement in the administrative role. Culture clash with more tenured staff.
Pros
Work autonomy, nice location, competitive salary
Cons
Culture among staff undesirable
Overall good place to work
Rating Analyst (Current Employee) –  Bethlehem, PADecember 17, 2018
The company is very flexible with scheduling, vacation time, sick time. It has good benefits. The managers have been fantastic to work with. The option to work from home full time is very nice for selected positions.
Pros
Ability to work from home.
Cons
Difficulty moving out of the entry level position
Guardian was secure job however struggled to keep up with the industry
IT LIASON / PROJECT MANAGER / TRAINER (Former Employee) –  Bethlehem, PADecember 31, 2018
I left Guardian only because I felt that my job was at capacity and the department would soon be outsourced. I needed to learn more and transferred to a different side of the benefits platform by taking a job with a broker.
nice place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Appleton, WIJuly 23, 2018
I enjoyed my interaction with our customers, on the phone. I talked with customers from all over the world. The hardest part of my job some times, was getting my thoughts across to an insured, who has little or no knowledge of our products and services. The most enjoyable part of my job, was explaining insurance in a way that my caller could understand. I could hear it in their voice when they became a satisfied customer.
Pros
fantastic wages and benefits
Cons
always working short handed
Steady company not much innovation
BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT STRATEGIST (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZOctober 20, 2018
Steady company not much innovation. Great benefits and good pay, not much room for vertical movement. Top heavy, upper management removed from lower level employees.
Overall good place to work
MYHR SHARED SERVICES REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Bethlehem, PADecember 4, 2018
Overall good place to work.
Depends on the department in which you work which determines your work load.
You are able to move departments after 1 year
Benefits
Cons
Department
Excellent place to work with great benefits.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCOctober 3, 2018
Usually each day was a busy day with several calls or claims processing, which made the time go by quickly. Learning all the medical terminology along with disability made my job very interesting.
Benefits
Cons
Negativity from other employees.
Productive and a fun but serious place to work
New York Accountant-Analyst-Support (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 7, 2018
A typical day at the Guardian was one of a to due list, where as you will work on, and complete your projects.It was time based and on a monthly calendar.At the end of month you had to post the journal entries on time to close the month .You were able to complete a lot of your work when things were busy at home over the weekend.with a little overtime .My group was so engaging an offered any all instruction on how to perform your best. I never felt alone with any tasks.

I learned about the Insurance industries and how it works.The hardest part was leaving a project without completing it.The most enjoyable about the job was how my Supervisor held most of the informative meetings around coworkers birthdays so that is was a celebration as well information about a new task.
Pros
Salaries and Benefits
Great Company
Executive Assistant I (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXOctober 16, 2018
Great Company to work for with great benefits along with the pay being some what fair in the market area. just do your job and you will be fine with nothing to worry about.
Great Company overall
Major Incident Manager (Current Employee) –  Bethlehem, PAAugust 27, 2018
Guardian Life is a solid company with good bennefits, a competative salary structure, and a great working environment. Co-workers are friendly, kind, welcoming, and always willing to help.
Pros
Great working environment, and people
Great Place Poor Management
Intake Specialist (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXMarch 31, 2018
Guardian is a great place to work. There are a few bad apples in the bunch including my manager at the time. She was unskilled and showed favoritism to the ones who kissed her behind. The ones that were outspoken about how unfair and unskilled she was were labeled as bad apples including myself. The manager I had when I got hired was the best but she left unfortunately for other career advancement the one who took her place was the worst. But guardian as a whole great place with great pay, benefits sucked but pay made up for that.
Pros
pay, time off, company culture
Cons
management, benefits
Great people and Great culture
Financial Representative/Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 17, 2018
Great company and great culture. The compensation is best in the industry and training and produces are second to none. The company does right by their employees time and time again.
Fast pace, good career advancement,but you take a beating
Operations Generalist (Current Employee) –  Bethlehem, PAOctober 28, 2018
Working at a CSR at guardian life has its highs and lows. The company is great, its always pushing for its staff to advance or make lateral movements to see where they would best fit in. Starting as a CSR, you are lowest on the totem pole. You are the front line rep that has to handle requests and inquiries from customers who are clients and agents alike. This is where the job will make or break anyone. Guardian does its best to train on products that is had and its procedure. They do a great job of that. What they dont do is get you ready for the complex questions that will arise when you deal with agents and clients.Many clients and agents already have a low amount of patience as is and you have to be their punching bag. Its the life of a CSR. You will have to rely on your team mates and materials to answer even the most complex of questions. Policy holders and agents will be the main source of your stress and will help you decide if you want to stick with company or not. They expect you to pretty much self manage while taking calls. You need to be great at multi tasking and time management. This means type type type away while you are on the phone so you dont have an over abundance of cases before you leave. If you do stick with company, they offer great benefits and career advancement. They really do push this and push for development. This is the biggest plus to me while working here. Management wants to see you succeed in general. If you do decide to work here as a CSR rep, it will be challenging but you will be fulfilled at the end when you move out of the contact  more... center. Think of it as your right to passage.

The CEO in the meantime is incredible and her staff is incredible as well. They breed a welcoming atmosphere. You will not have any problems making friends here or feeling like you are left out. They will make sure you feel welcomed. I recommend working here on that alone.
Pros
Employee Culture, advancement, development
Cons
Short breaks, stringent metrics, not enough training, departments are disjointed
It’s a job
Customer Support I (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZMarch 6, 2018
That’s literally the best thing I can say. I get paid on the 15th and the 30th, which is annoying, however when it comes to accommodations or anything else, beware. If you’re looking for reasonable accommodation get ready to wait a month to hear back and then have the most unreasonable accommadation requested, bordering on a HIPAA violation.

This job does not pay enough for what they ask you to do. The health insurance is AWFUL. The benefits for short term disability are fine but good luck getting approved. Maybe they’ll just try to “reasonably accommodate” you.

I’ve worked in insurance most of my adult life. I’ve had some bad jobs but even the bad jobs had redeeming qualities. I dread coming to work. I have no real leadership and nothing that happens in this company is ever good enough for management.
Pros
It’s a paying job
Cons
No cafeteria on site, short lunch, terrible break room, health insurance, low pay, bad management, bad sick policy
Don't look for advancement unless you know someone
Human Resources Manager (Former Employee) –  United StatesJune 11, 2018
As a company, Guardian was decent to work for, but they have been through FIVE Chief Human Resource Officers in 5 years if that tells you anything....
Pros
Work from Home policy
Cons
Low salary, lack of advancement, no recognition
Boring work, boring job
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bethlehem, PANovember 27, 2018
The work I did was very lack luster and repetitive daily; therefore, I found it to be a boring job and had to find things to do to stay busy. I have also never worked at any other job where upper management talked openly about subordinate employees and called them names. VERY unprofessional.
Pros
Free lunches on Fridays, great group of people to work with who were not in managment
Cons
Lack of advancement, boring days with not a lot of work to keep you busy even when requested

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Guardian Life Insurance Company. Our community is ready to answer.