Guardus Security Employee Reviews

Don't be a blip on the radar
Guard (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VANovember 29, 2018
If you want to work at Guardus your best off just being an onsite guard at a remote site away from the office. Most officers are part-time with less than 30 hours a week. Get your unarmed security certification and stop. The compensation for being armed security is lack luster for the extra responsibilities. I recommend staying off the radar because upper management leaves a lot to be desired and rather point the finger every way rather then act like leaders. If you choose to move up you may feel morally bankrupt due to the way things are handled and sites are handled.
Pros
The other guards, decently flexible on hours
Cons
no dental or eye care (should be for security). Upper Management really doesn't care, No sick days or vacation, Morally bankrupt.
Good company to work for
Armed Shopping Center Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VASeptember 4, 2018
Hours and pay were good, only con was the lack of available overtime. Management tries to keep people in the schedules they sign up for. Good place to learn the security industry.
Growing company with good culture
Patrol Officer (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAJune 4, 2018
This is a great company to work for. As long as you do your job, you will love working here. People are great, boss is flexible, and comp is fair. Some sites are better than others, but at the rate this company is growing, there are many opportunities to switch and move up.
Pros
Fair pay, growth opportunities, accommodating management, culture
Cons
Stuff inherent to job
Do your job, you have no issues
Patrol officer (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAMay 10, 2018
I am a current employee here at Guardus. I have been here just under a year. They have me working multiple locations and I truly enjoy them. I have noticed that the ones that do not last, are the ones who are just flat out lazy and try to cut corners. This is security, not sit on your butt and look for a check.

A typical day for me is to patrol a site in a vehicle, speak with residents, check doors, answer service calls, ban homeless people from the property if found. That's just about it! I enjoy it.
Pros
Busy days
Cons
No cons
Very Fair Company
Armed Patrol Officer (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 9, 2018
Its sad that when people fall asleep on the job or crash a company car or steal time from a shift that when they get caught that they are allowed to go online and give a bad review.

This company has been great to me so far! The management team is really fair as long as you show up on time and do your best!

I would recommend this job to any and all people. I have received multiple performance raises in the last year just for putting my best foot forward. There is always an advancement opportunity and I like to take full advantage of all growth options!
Pros
Management Team is great.
Cons
Dealing with the general public
Worst Security Company ever
Armed Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAMay 6, 2018
I am a former employee and I would have to say that this Security company is the worst. Here are some examples of why: Mismanagement, do not have enough vehicles to cover sites, vehicles are raggedy never fueled up, work alot of hours for low wages, lots of last minute changes, when you are scheduled off they are calling every 5 minutes for you to come in, and they have no regards for family life. Would not recommend to my worst enemy!!
Pros
Cons
To many too list
Need better sites
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAApril 1, 2018
Ok place to work if you enjoy shopping centers and apartments complex. High turnover due to pay and sites. Safety is a concern when working in the apartment complex. Experience to take to another company.
Pros
To gain experience and move on
Cons
No good sites
Like walking on Ice
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAFebruary 23, 2018
Working at Guardus is like walking on ice. You never know when it will beak.

A typical day at Guardus starts with one trying to get information like "where are the keys to the car, can I get someone out here to refuel the vehicle?" and ends with "the vehicle has no gas" and my relief has not shown up.

The senior management team consist of two people the VP and the operations manager.

The rest of the management team consist of a 20 something supervisor, a receptionist, and an old guy who keeps the company cars running. I am not sure he is management or not but he will put his two cents into any conversation.

The culture here depends on how the kids are feeling that day. sometimes relax and sometimes not so.

The hardest part of the job is trying to figure out what it is they want.

The most enjoyable part of the day. The end
Pros
Most sites have a company vehicle
Cons
Little to no support from the office
Independent work
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAAugust 29, 2017
Good job for self starters and independent workers. It's a good part time job. As long as you are on time and doing your job you will not see many supervisors or management.
Pros
Independent work
Cons
Need more training
Fair and fun paced work enviroment.
Officer (Current Employee) –  VA Beach, VAFebruary 12, 2017
After working many years in corporate management I took a leap of faith in a new career field. I came across Guardus Security through words of mouth. After being here 3.5 months, i have no real issues with this company. If you come to work to work and do what your paid to do, it is beneficial. If I had any opportunities about the company it would just be the pay scale. As I say that though, I must also consider where I was in compensation and compare fairly to my experience. With that being said, and the knowledge and certifications that I have obtained in this new career, I would say that all security company's really need to look at what they are paying there employees from the office to the field. When you have employees that are paid for what they do for the company, they tend to be happy to work for the company. That is a practice ANY company should look at. Pay those that do the job for the company!!! Let the others, fall where they may. That is my only view on this issue. Overall, in this age of people having no loyalty to anything, if i didn't like working for Guardus Security, I wouldn't be here!!
Pros
Fair opportunity to grow in the industry.
Cons
Review of compensation scale
Loved working
Guard (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAFebruary 1, 2017
I most recently stopped working for Guardus but I must say that I never had a problem with the company or its employees. The pay was great due to my experience with 20plus yrs of security. I was always treated with the utmost respect from management along with my coworkers. I did patrol as well as insures with never having any issues with residents or anything else. Was a Great pleasure to give my abilities and experience to the company.
Pros
Great team
Cons
None for me
Security Officer Unarmed (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VA 23454December 27, 2016
Everyday is different so it was not the same routine everyday.
Communication was good, managers kept employees informed of changes.
Pay was decent
Friendly co workers
Pros
Company vehicle, Flexible hours, Not micro managed
Cons
Some company vehicles need work
Mishandled and disorganized.
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  VA Beach, VADecember 22, 2016
Very profit based does not care about employees. Employees are replaced frequently and easily. Hours are fairly random and schedules are constantly changing with less than 24-hour notice of shift.
Pros
non
Cons
continuous change of hours with less than 24hr notice.
horrible and mismanagement
Security Officer (Full-time) (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VASeptember 7, 2016
Nobody knew what they were doing there. Shifts were changed online without consenting or telling you. Shifts were made on Fridays. They messed up my finger printing. Payroll sucked. Nobody knew nothing. A bunch of bozos.
Pros
worked alone
Cons
everything else
Busy
Officer in charge for patrol (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, Va Beach, VASeptember 7, 2015
The company is very busy at times and has allot of work that you will not be bored at any given time. Bonuses are great and the people at times are great as well.
Pros
Job secuirty
Cons
Slow promotions
If you need a night shift this is the company
Patrol Officer / Armed Officer (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAAugust 23, 2015
Very flexible with arrangement of schedule. Very professional at times anger is flared because of irresponsibility of some guards by bosses. Bosses are very outstanding when you are truthful.

You can truly build a family relationship with the company. So you will always have a pro and a con.
Pros
40 hours provided and get stress out by resdents at times. Community policing
Cons
Get to manage yourself on your own shift.
High stress, low compensation
High Impact Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAApril 14, 2014
A typical day at work included a high call volume, high demands on patrols, and little support from management.

Fairly good co-workers, but most did the bare minimum.

The hardest part of the job was completing the large amounts of paperwork that were a result of the high demands on patrols...all within the strict shift schedule.
Patrolling Norfolk
Patrol Officer (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAFebruary 10, 2014
My job was to patrol certain areas of Norfolk Virginia. Patrolling in a Company vehicle until dispatched a call for service from a client. Most of the clients we're housing complexes.
security guard
security guard (Former Employee) –  northfolkAugust 4, 2013
The most enjoyable part of my job was interacting with all the people. The hardest part of my job was having to bust people. I enjoyed all my coworkers even though we didn't get to work together a lot. My managers were great they kept us informed on big sales the mall would have.
Pros
always something to do
Cons
no breaks
Flexible Schedule
Armed Officer (Current Employee) –  virginia beach VAMarch 1, 2013
If your in school have kids you have to work around or in the reserves this is the job for you.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
late nights