Guckenheimer Employee Reviews

Lost its soul
Executive Administrator (Former Employee) –  San Mateo, CAJanuary 14, 2019
Somewhere along the way Guckenheimer lost its soul. Many would point to it being acquired as the issue; but in my experience it was when one of their major clients (name starts with a g) wanted to do more business with them. The culture went from a caring, if behind the times, family to a gang of people bullying the rest of the company into complying with the big client's demands. It is easy to understand the why of it, but it doesn't change how unhappy everyone (even on an executive level) became in the process.
Pros
food, lots and lots of food
Cons
benefits, culture, advancement
Messy
Senior Chef (Former Employee) –  Pleasanton, CAJanuary 3, 2019
The nice thing about Guckenheimer was that you worked Monday-Friday with weekends off and 6am-2pm. The job security was there and you gain a lot of cooking experience. The bad things were that you get over worked and a lot of times co-workers do the bare minimum. Also raises were very hard to come by and usually were handed out 10 cents or less. Also it was impossible to use your sick time.
Pros
Learn new things, Good work schedule
Cons
Bad raises, Overwork, Impossible to use sick time
Set day. Monotonous. Difficult co-workers in the FOH. Lack of motivation.
Lead Cashier (Former Employee) –  Fort Collins, CONovember 3, 2018
Very set schedule. Set up for breakfast service. Same people every day. Broke down breakfast service. Set for lunch. Closed and broke down...DO IT AGAIN.
Pros
Guided instructions of the day- by- day, Made new friends through different business, free food. High service standards. Quality food served. Strong, Organized Kitchen team.
Cons
Monotonous, tough co-workers, communication amongst team. Pay.
Not the best experience
Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 1, 2018
Guckenheimer lack of management support in the East Cost it is amazing. Although the hourly employees at the Unit I was assigned to are super hard workers and care about their job the lack of support of the company is just too much. When they signed me up for the job I was told that it will be 10-11 hours shift and I don't remember the day that I left work without at least working 15 hours shifts.
The benefits package it is fine but they don't match your 401K.
If you are planning to work for Guckenheimer think of applying to any west cost unit. The reality of the company there seems to be way different and so much better places to work.
Pros
Free meals
Cons
Long hours of work, lack of management support
Management was poor
UTILITY PERSON (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOSeptember 5, 2018
There was no advancement, poor communication, and lack of management skills. The environment was stressful and sometimes non productive. Restricted to communicate with other employees, manager was too controlling and bossy. Could not talk to Human Resources or payroll, we were not given the numbers needed to contact these department. Everything went through the manager.
Pros
Help me pay my bills
Cons
Stressful and poor work enviroment
Good Company for food Service

Do It All Over Again REPEAT REPEAT REPEAT

Average Temp in Kitchen this summer 88 degrees
Front House 75

Must lift 25 lbs, Heavy, Hard Work on Feet 9.5 hours
Manadatory OT but OT rate is only is not paid if holiday, sick, personal day.

I want to work at a desk administrative not in food service
Pros
free lunch
Cons
Hard, Hard on Feet, Very Physical
Unhealthy, racism , agesim,
Dishwasher (Current Employee) –  VeniceAugust 20, 2018
Poor Management, the fact that the company overlooks hardworking dishwashers. Thats the main reason that the compnay loose them. You are promised advancement in positions , if you show you like to work. That's what i did. They kept me at dishwasher for a year and hiring new staff for cook/porter/Day shift positions. Also, the pay was unfair especially when catering and morning shifts work fall on you
Pros
Lunch
Cons
Racism, Politics, harrasment
Fun place to work great people
Chef Manager (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHOctober 28, 2018
Had a great time working there met some great people there and had great success and experiences there. I would have stayed with the company but my last manager I refused to worker under.
Pros
Great benefits, chances to advance
Cons
Training could be better, chefs spread thin at times.
nice place to work
Sous Chef (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAOctober 5, 2018
Guckenheimer is a very nice company to work I definitely recommend to any one to work there . in guckenheimer you have the opportunity to develop and practice your knowledge in all levels . nice people and the management is high qualified person to be there
Pros
free lunches
Cons
health care
Great Grneral Manager
Pantry grill cook and catering production (Current Employee) –  Palato, GAJuly 15, 2018
My typical day at Guckenheimer Enterprise is I work under the General manager and Executive Chef as one of the catering chef.

I feel my job is not stressful for I love what I do, for cooking is my passion. I love what I do and the General Manager and Executive Chef give me the freedom to empress my talent want in the kitchen.

For me the most enjoyable part of my job is at the end of the day is when the General Manager and Executive Chef tell me a job well done
Pros
I learn a lot at Guckenheimer
Cons
none just reach job salery for my job title
fast-paced and productive
LEAD CASHIER/PANTRY CHEF (Former Employee) –  Pleasanton, CAJanuary 4, 2019
I liked going to work and working on different menus, and helping and building relationships with customers. The hardest part of the job was the commute, but I always felt appreciated by the management and team.
Dead-end Job
Sous Chef (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 7, 2018
The line employees are great as well as the customers. There is not room for advancement in this company. Whatever you are hired as with whatever the pay you agreed when hires is what you will be while you are working there period. They will constantly talk about it is a good time to be with the company since they are growing and there are opportunities but it is lie. There is also a huge politics game that upper management plays that adversely affects their accounts. I have seen them let an account fail to try to drive a manager out.
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
Bad Corporate Culture
Fast paced, somewhat friendly depending on location
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Burbank, CAJuly 4, 2018
The location I work at is pretty nice. Customers are mostly pleasant. It most of the time can get pretty hectic but it makes the day fly by. Sometimes it is so busy that you don't have enough time to finish what needs to be done. Management doesn't seem to like to hire more people and would rather over work their employees. When everyone gets along it can be a pretty fun work environment. Free food which is definitely a plus.
Pros
Free lunch, get to meet a lot of great people
Cons
Over worked employees with not enough pay.
Fun Job Management Unsure of all
Cashier/Barista/Server (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NENovember 1, 2018
Loved the job. My coworkers and the customers we serve were amazing. Few bad eggs, but overall good. Management needs work and help. Manager was great but sometimes indecisive.
Pros
Great Job
Cons
Management needs work
Terrible leadership under head manager
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tempe, AZSeptember 4, 2018
Negative work environment, supervisors talking about employees to other employees. No training, supervisors walk around doing much of nothing. Poor environment and pay.
Pros
Free drinks
Cons
Managers talk about employees with employees
A bunch of confusion
Cook (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 2, 2018
I was hired initially for a 40hr per week job that then got turned into 37.5hrs per week due to "the needs of the business." Management is unprofessional and will talk about you, your work performance, and your personal life behind your back. They also try to put staff against each other. The revolving door of staff members means that they are never fully staffed so you're often expected to do the work of others including supervisor type work without a pay raise or compensation. Asking for help is useless because it's never provided and they try to shift the blame onto you for not getting your work done. The only good thing is that its Monday through Friday with weekends off. However if you're expecting to grow within the company or build up your skills try aramark.
Pros
Mon-fri work schedule
Cons
Back bitting, no support, overworking
Management was unorganized and rude.
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NESeptember 28, 2018
I was pregnant at this job and they did not believe I was so they refused to allow me breaks for the restroom and until my Doctor confirmed my pregnancy I was not allowed to eat or drink during my shift.
Fast-Paced
Pantry Cook (Former Employee) –  Buena Park, CAAugust 14, 2018
Very fast Paced, and stressful environment. High demand in work load and not enough time allotted to carry out necessary tasks. Only a short time allowed for customer service.
Pros
only worked 32 hours.
Cons
Very negative and stressful atmosphere in the kitchen
Friendly
Catering Supervisor (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 14, 2019
I have been working for Guckenhemier for 4 years only one Raise If you plan on living just better Guckenhemier is not it. Takes to long to advance and grow.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
N/a
Good work environment
Pizza Chef, Baker, Prep Cook, Expeditor (Former Employee) –  East Houston, TXJuly 12, 2018
I worked in different stations there but was initially on the pizza station baking in the fire-brick oven. Co-workers are
great but the Executive Chef was not acting as part of the team and help with meal prep.
Pros
Free meals and healthy options.
Cons
Too far to drive.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Guckenheimer. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.1InHerSight Score

1.6Personal Development

2.5Career Opportunities

2.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight