Guess Employee Reviews

Found 1,170 reviews matching the search See all 1,808 reviews
Good company overall
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLFebruary 7, 2019
The work culture is excellent but the pay is not that great. If you are a manager you don't have to worry about hours but if you are a sales associate then hours can change every week. I loved my team and had a great experience while there. There is opportunity in the company but sometimes it takes a very long time to get a promotion. The benefits are great as well and they have a good 401k plan.
Unorganized and stressful enviroment.
Retail, Stock Associate (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYSeptember 29, 2018
While working my 2+ years as a stock associate at GUESS, we have undergone about three changes in store management. The company has never kept a state team, especially in terms of store management. With so many associates and managers constantly changing, the store productivity has been heavily disrupted and many things become unorganized such as scheduling, sales, and positivity in the work environment.
Pros
Forty percent discount on product at all times, and occasionally fifty.
Cons
Poor management, no holidays off, no raises
Retail is Retail
Co-Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GA 30326December 29, 2018
Retail is Retail...

Following company directives in all areas of store management & sales - even if they may not fit your stores flow or needs.
Customer service and experience = Sales and this is retail life.

Communication with upper management is essential - if you struggle with constant feed back and constructive criticism then retail is not for you. Daily emails & weekly calls are a must to stay in the loop and relevant. In management if you don't take on secondary leader roles then you are seen as stagnate and ineffective. You have to keep track of what your store needs are and communicate them continually - squeaky wheel and all that.

But above all this Sales numbers rein supreme. Daily-Yearly, Holiday's, Store's, individual's, etc. The numbers don't lie in the eyes of corporate - even if they don't tell the whole story - and they will base all their decisions and directives for you & your store on this.

Typical Retail...
Pros
good health insurance plan
Cons
no consistent schedules, no work life balance
Overworked for not enough pay
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Tulalip, WAFebruary 11, 2019
Upper management doesn't give enough payroll hours so salaried managers are forced to work overtime on a weekly basis without any extra incentive. Given a lot of vacation to use but good luck actually taking days off. Looked down on for using sick days.
Pros
employee discount, health benefits
Cons
work-life balance
Fun place to work but unfair pay
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Cabazon, CAFebruary 2, 2019
I have worked at Guess for 5 years, as a manager for 3 and recently minimum wage was raised but my wage was not, making my associates at the exact same wage as me. I am currently fighting for a raise which I am having a hard time with. Guess doesn’t give raises and seems to not appreciate their employees. I love my team & the environment but the company as a whole, is extremely unfair to their employees.
Pros
You meet great people.
Cons
No raises
Loved working at guess
Co-Manager (Former Employee) –  Camarillo, CASeptember 14, 2018
Overall my work life at GUESS was great.
I was always challenged, and had the best mentors.
Upper management was like family, my district manager really cared about our development and growth.
Managing 30 + employees was a challenged, but always a great outcome. The culture was fun, dedicated and competitive.
The hardest part of my job had to be the hours, working retail isn't for everybody.
Low pay but lots of room to grow
VISUAL LEAD (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ILAugust 20, 2018
Working was great loved the people and managers and had lots of opportunity to grow. hours come to those who work hard and have different variation of skills. low pay due to no raise unless promoted.
Pros
Long lunches, good management
Cons
low pay
Fun, energetic, work enviornment.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Monroe, NYAugust 14, 2018
Guess was a quality company. Working in their factory outlet stores was a very competitive culture. Guess was a global name brand, which required a global approach in all aspects of the retail world.
Quality brand name demanded, top quality customer service, detailed merchandising strategies, and top performing operrtional systems.
Pros
Fun, youthful work culture. International brand, competitive salary, adequate benefits.
Cons
Limited locations, ineffective logistics.
Not the place to work if you want to grow!
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Texas City, TXJuly 4, 2018
I was employed at guess for 5yrs and was told multiple times that i wasn't going to receive a raise nor grown in my field of management. The district manager is bias and the turnover rate for the management is ridiculous. If you're looking to grown within a company this is NOT the place for you.
Pros
benefits and discount
Cons
no support work wise or financially
Okay for retail
Assistant Store Manager, Visual Merchandising (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 16, 2019
An okay company to work for. Retail is retail. Management was good. Environment was okay. Customers were decent. Culture was fun. Terrible hours, no life.
Good place to grow
Visual Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ILJune 11, 2018
I have been with the company for 3 years and have not had a raise, other than a promotion. The company only cares about the people that are making it money, which is understandable but it really is about the stock people and visual team that makes the store run. It really depends who your management team is and who helps you grow and develop.
Pros
Easy Advancement
Cons
Low pay
Horrible place to work
Loss Prevention Manager (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLNovember 10, 2018
Horrible turnover rate due to poor management with no sense of compassion. Immature staff. Poor compensation at all levels, lack of compensation for level of responsibility.
Dont work here! Horrible place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Deer Park, NYMay 9, 2018
I worked at the GUESS Factory at the Tanger Outlets in Deer Park NY and it was horrible. If you are considering working there, don't. Not only are the customers nasty but management is as well. They talk down to you and have an attitude. It is not a good environment to be in. There is no chance for advancement and they don't give raises unless you get promoted. You deal with too much stress for what they pay you, it's not worth it
Pros
Discount that's it
Cons
I pretty much said it before. Too many too name
Not a great place to work
Manager (Former Employee) –  NJMay 2, 2018
I was young and didn't know better, I started my career here. Overall, just not a great place to work, no work/life balance. no morals, cut throat, no values. You are over worked and underpaid and led by fear. Nothing is based on merit. I stayed for my teams, I had some amazing teams with people that became friends, many who I still keep in touch with. You will find some great associates & store managers here!!!!
Pros
discount, working for an iconic brand, made some great friends
Cons
no work/life balance, poor management, low pay
Great management and learning environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Daytona Beach, FL 32117September 11, 2018
You gain your hours based on how well you preform like how much you sell to the customers coming in. Each day you have a different goal to hit and you have to sell a certain dollar amount of merchandise per hour. If you exceed this or hit your target for the day, you are rewarded and the employee that sells the most in the entire week is given the most hours to work in the following week. I was hired to work at $9.50 an hour. I was top seller by my second week of working there and stayed among top 3 for the entire 6 months I worked there. The management was amazing to me and even though I no longer work there I still keep in touch with all go them.
Pros
Up to a 60% discount on clothes
Fast-paced environment.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  San Ysidro, CAJanuary 23, 2019
Over all it's ok working at Guess, it is very fast-paced most of the time. I don't think that management does a very good at training employees, they pretty much teach you basic stuff then have you figure everything else out. The hardest part of the job is probably dealing with bulk buyers because most of them always want different types of discounts and get bothered easily if something they want is not n the store or online stock.
Very fast paced, stressful environment.
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Livermore, CAJune 12, 2018
Guess is a great company to work for. My boss was recently replaced with a seasoned Guess district manager that lives in Las Vegas. Guess offers a large range of training tools to help with your business. In the Livermore location, we are constantly busy so there is little to no down time. The Livermore outlets are also very competitive and hard to staff. I love the product I sell and I have an amazing discount.
Pros
Great discount, great product, good company.
Cons
Long hours, hard staffing, working most holidays except Christmas
Guess
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJanuary 9, 2019
Typical day would be hectic and a mission. I learned a lot being this was my first retail job. Management is amazing they help you learn and doesn't just treat you like you're only going to be there for a short amount of time. Most enjoyable part of the job would have to be seeing the smile on the face of the customer once they know they want something and are ready to pay.
Fun workplace with a great location to work at.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 18, 2018
A great location on 5th ave New York City. A goal driven aggressive sales environment from associate and managers. $30,000 sales days every Friday and Saturday are the norms. $20,000 every other day however if we don't meet or exceed goals we stay open feels like being hostages at times. Long closing nights sometimes due to the lack of associates closing or inexperienced associates. Motivate me to succeed in life and move up in the company.Cut hours when it's a slow day and for someone who lives on their own that is not ideal.
Pros
Great location, good discounts, fun management at times
Cons
long closes, sometimes not enough hours are given. cut hours
productive
Guess Factory Outlet (Former Employee) –  Central Valley, NYJuly 11, 2018
a typical day at Guess will just be going in and start cleaning the cash-wrap so we wont have to stay there that late. And ring out people as fast as we can while getting loyalties so they can come back to shop with us again. What i learned at Guess is that you have to move fast and have patients with the customer. Management was ok, that's all i have to say. The hardest part of Guess was having to stay there so late and then coming back that same day to open or to do it all over again with little to sleep. The most enjoyable part of Guess is the connection you make with the co-workers everyone there is older enough to act like an adult and the treat you like one.
Pros
get payed for vaction once you stay there for a year.
Cons
no full time

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Guess. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP25%
In the Top 25% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Guess.

Powered by Comparably