GuideOne Insurance Employee Reviews

Terrible Culture
Enterprise Sytems Engineer 1 (Current Employee) –  West Des Moines, IADecember 5, 2018
What hurts this company most is poor middle management, senior leadership is descent. Unfortunately the new SLT has not been able to change the poor culture which is caused by poor lower level managers. No advancement unless you are part of the boys club, Senior Leadership is working hard to change things.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Poor Benefits, Middle Managers Lie to Employees, Low Pay
Flexible scheduling and work from home opportunity
Business Analyst II (Former Employee) –  West Des Moines, IAOctober 29, 2018
Management for the BA space was unable to make decisions. The culture was great and the best thing was working remote was almost a given. Nobody micromanaged your time or work and you were allowed to give feedback to make processes improve.
Clinical Risk Manager (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJanuary 19, 2018
I worked mostly at a home office. My assignments would come per email from the requesting adjustors and attorneys. Other tasks were assigned by my immediate supervisor.
I very much enjoyed my job and my coworkers and am disappointed that the company made the decision to eliminate the risk management unit.
Pros
Free lunches, excellent benefits
Cons
unstable insurance industry with increased losses
Financial performance, culture challenges are serious issues
N/A (Former Employee) –  West Des Moines, IAOctober 11, 2018
Due to years of poor leadership, GuideOne is paying for past sins with shrinking revenue, deteriorating agency partnerships, expensive and poor technology, and a culture that is completely apathetic. New management is untrustworthy.
Owner was a micromanager!
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  OregonFebruary 28, 2018
Over 2 years, no raise even when requested. Owner would not allow workers to do their jobs without hovering over them. Work was not difficult, he was!
Company and its management are worried about the wrong things
N/A (Former Employee) –  West Des Moines, IASeptember 30, 2018
Okay until you suggest something that the manager didn't think of themselves and it is fine for managers to behave a certain way but those beneath god forbid
Pros
Free lunch, Free parking
Cons
Hypocrisy and favoritism for sure
Fast past changes going on
Senior System Analyst (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJune 21, 2018
As of the time I left, the company was in the middle of replacing all the legacy cobol systems with GuideWire's full suite of products ( policy admin, claims, billing). The current direction of the company is Guidewire based.
Pros
Free parking, free lunch
Cons
Company is currently going thru a culture change
Extremely family oriented company, great environment
cash management clerk (Former Employee) –  West Des Moines, IAAugust 15, 2017
Overall the best employment experience thus far. If it hadn't been for technology updates I would still be employed with the company. There were several opportunities for family oriented, guideone sponsored activities that were little to no cost. The 401k program was perfection, as well as the fitness reimbursement program.
Good place to work until 2009.
Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INSeptember 17, 2015
You hit the ground running when you arrived at work: returning voice mails, reviewing new claims, mail, making calls, etc. There was never a moment when you were looking for something to do except when the computer system crashed.

I learned a lot in my 9 years there: I went from an adjuster of first-party and multi-line claims to a liability adjuster, handling complex auto claims, many involving attorney-represented clients. Determining liability was my favorite part of the job: I love the detail of it and deciding by the data gathered who I felt was at fault for the accident. The more complex an accident was, the more interesting it was to me.

The hardest part of the job is the occasional stress and the workload. I worked many (unpaid) hours just to "keep up" and it still wasn't enough at times. But it was a personal choice I made in order to provide the best possible customer service I could.

I was dependable: I always returned my voice mails and followed up on problems which arose, tracking down a solution to the best end for the customer. My supervisor got few complaint calls about me because I really cared that I did my job well. It was a career, not just a paycheck.
Pros
Good benefits, pay, good management at lower level.
Cons
Workload, office politics
Quite place to work and was able to work independently
OFFICE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Edmond, OKAugust 3, 2015
I enjoyed helping the customers solve problems. The respect I received from the customers was amazing. It was gratifying knowing I was able to assist customer with their insurance problems. I big plus was that my customers always ask for me instead of the agent, in some cases.
Pros
Enjoyed helping cusomers
Cons
no advancement along with no benefits or keeping up with the pay scale
Poor management training, little availability for advancement, but do get free lunches
-- (Former Employee) –  West Des Moines, IAJuly 5, 2013
No two days are the same, which isn't always a good thing. If your number is pulled to be disliked, work environment becomes borderline more unbearable. Peers were great, but lack of transparency by middle and upper management made it difficult.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
For an insurance company, insurance benefits were lacking
Good place to work.
Computer Operator (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAAugust 4, 2017
This was a good place to work, I was able to advance multiple times with the company. Management team that I worked with was fantastic at making sure every employee had the tools needed to better themselves.
Pros
Helpful managers, advancement possibilities.
10 year changes everything
Enterprise Systems Engineer (Current Employee) –  West Des Moines, IAJuly 11, 2017
Been there 10 years and the culture has change. It's all about how fast can you get the project done. No matter how you feel. Even though they say you voice matter.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Work life balance isn't there
Great Experience
Agency Coordinator I (Former Employee) –  Independence, MOOctober 8, 2012
I worked for this company during my fresh and introductory period in the insurance industry. The atmosphere in the small office in Independence, MO was very pleasant. The agents and adjusters were very professional and high-spirited. This group of people expressed empathy, concern and knowledge with each and every customer. I was able to experience working with a select group of professionals who magnified "customer service" and delivered on the covered product each and every time.
Pros
great work life balance, office atmosphere, flexibility and great team.
Fun and family oriented place to work for
Senior Insurance Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Stone Mountain, GAJune 20, 2012
7:30a.m.-4;30.p.m, managed my day as an adjuster, learned a lot about self and time management, inter-personal and collaborative skills were mandatory. Management was great, due to constant audits, always busy. Co-workers were great, still are like family, but some were not academically up to par. Hardest part of the job was interacting with the latter type of co-workers and also denying coverage to a client. The most enjoyable part was when I not only retain clients to improve the comapny's bottom line, but also when clients are happy with the services I provided and get additional friends and family to be a client as well
Pros
yearly bonuses, constant free breakfast and lunches
Cons
growth potential was minimal
ab
Java Developer (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IASeptember 5, 2014
GuideOne Insurance company offers standard homeowner, auto products and personal excess liability coverage. The Insurance project involves the design and development of a Web based application to provide online insurance services. The web application provides functionalities such as policy management, profile management and claim reporting. The client can access complete account information, details about his policy, upgrade to a new policy based on his previous payment history and credit score , track his claim approval status, and Look up for an agent near his area and file for claims. It also involved developing Soap and Rest Based Webservices to allow communications between other modules.
Nice Starter Job
COMMERCIAL UNDERWRITER (Current Employee) –  West Des Moines, IANovember 15, 2017
Nice place to learn and grow. Basic training provided but continuing education leaves you on your own. That is hard to do with the line of work we are in.
Great people - but lacks strong leadership
BA (Current Employee) –  West Des Moines, IAOctober 19, 2017
Wonderful people who truly believe that they are doing good, but leadership is constantly making stupid, knee-jerk decisions. And the decisions they usually make are not well thought out and they don't take advice from people who are knowledgeable into account.
Pros
Free lunch
many changes
Programmer II (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAOctober 6, 2017
There are a lot of changes going on within the organization. Their effort to balance work and personal life is mentionalble, but the company is going through many changes now
I have gained a good working experience with the team of Guideone.
Quality Assurance Analyst (Former Employee) –  West Des Moines, IAMarch 28, 2017
Working environment at Guideone was really professional as well as flexible. Stressless work environment, where lead was always supportive and motivating which every employee wanted, that is what our team had, a good team lead. The most enjoyable part of Guideone was offered free lunch, where everyone gathers at cafeteria and enjoy there lunch with chit chat. I never felt any hardest thing the time i worked in Guideone, team coordination was what it always made effortless for doing our job and finishing them in deadline.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at GuideOne Insurance. Our community is ready to answer.