GuideOne Insurance Employee Reviews

Owner was a micromanager!
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  OregonFebruary 28, 2018
Over 2 years, no raise even when requested. Owner would not allow workers to do their jobs without hovering over them. Work was not difficult, he was!
Clinical Risk Manager (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJanuary 19, 2018
I worked mostly at a home office. My assignments would come per email from the requesting adjustors and attorneys. Other tasks were assigned by my immediate supervisor.
I very much enjoyed my job and my coworkers and am disappointed that the company made the decision to eliminate the risk management unit.
Pros
Free lunches, excellent benefits
Cons
unstable insurance industry with increased losses
Nice Starter Job
COMMERCIAL UNDERWRITER (Current Employee) –  West Des Moines, IANovember 15, 2017
Nice place to learn and grow. Basic training provided but continuing education leaves you on your own. That is hard to do with the line of work we are in.
Great people - but lacks strong leadership
BA (Current Employee) –  West Des Moines, IAOctober 19, 2017
Wonderful people who truly believe that they are doing good, but leadership is constantly making stupid, knee-jerk decisions. And the decisions they usually make are not well thought out and they don't take advice from people who are knowledgeable into account.
Pros
Free lunch
many changes
Programmer II (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAOctober 6, 2017
There are a lot of changes going on within the organization. Their effort to balance work and personal life is mentionalble, but the company is going through many changes now
okay
CLAIMS AND SALES REP (Former Employee) –  independence moAugust 21, 2017
okay place to be an insurance agent but at the time it had too limited of markets and was hard to compete with other agencies that had more products for customers
Extremely family oriented company, great environment
cash management clerk (Former Employee) –  West Des Moines, IAAugust 15, 2017
Overall the best employment experience thus far. If it hadn't been for technology updates I would still be employed with the company. There were several opportunities for family oriented, guideone sponsored activities that were little to no cost. The 401k program was perfection, as well as the fitness reimbursement program.
Good place to work.
Computer Operator (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAAugust 4, 2017
This was a good place to work, I was able to advance multiple times with the company. Management team that I worked with was fantastic at making sure every employee had the tools needed to better themselves.
Pros
Helpful managers, advancement possibilities.
10 year changes everything
Enterprise Systems Engineer (Current Employee) –  West Des Moines, IAJuly 11, 2017
Been there 10 years and the culture has change. It's all about how fast can you get the project done. No matter how you feel. Even though they say you voice matter.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Work life balance isn't there
It's not a bad place to work.
Remote Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Zionsville, INMay 30, 2017
Not enough claims adjuster to handle the work load. People at the table making the decisions do not listen to the ones doing the work. Worked more than 40 hours a week.
Pros
Work from Home
Cons
Not a real diverse company.

Want to know more about GuideOne Insurance?

Ask a question
Sr Business Analyst
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  West Des Moines, IAApril 13, 2017
Company laid off - sold business so i would not recommend this job to a friend or anyone else. Was a nice place to work at one time but definitely has changed in the last several years.
I have gained a good working experience with the team of Guideone.
Quality Assurance Analyst (Former Employee) –  West Des Moines, IAMarch 28, 2017
Working environment at Guideone was really professional as well as flexible. Stressless work environment, where lead was always supportive and motivating which every employee wanted, that is what our team had, a good team lead. The most enjoyable part of Guideone was offered free lunch, where everyone gathers at cafeteria and enjoy there lunch with chit chat. I never felt any hardest thing the time i worked in Guideone, team coordination was what it always made effortless for doing our job and finishing them in deadline.
Friendly Atmosphere
Analyst (Current Employee) –  West Des Moines, IAOctober 4, 2016
Both management and staff are very friendly and laid back. This is both good and bad. It can be difficult for those who are used to a more agile work enviornment. Meetings seem to require a certain amount of chit chat before you can get everyone focused. The current allocation of resources seems skewed. Some people have little work and seemingly no deadlines while others are over burdened by meetings and workload. If you are on the project side of things meetings typically do not adhere to any schedule. Start late, run long etc.

I rated the overall job security and advancement for the company as low in part due to the current restructuring and expense reductions, as well as the focus and energy being placed on a change to their commercial lines policy adminstration system. The company wants to grow, but until the new system is up and running it will be difficult to get support on any other projects or typical run work.

Management is often unavailable because they are consumed with meetings. If you are in a position where you can work on your own that isn't a problem. If you are in a position where management needs to sign off or provide feedback before you can move forward, then that can become a roadblock.
Pros
Free lunches, Vacation package is generous, Great managers and people to work with
Cons
I've heard people complain that the healthcare is expensive, I didn't utilize so I'm not able to speak to it myself.
Niche Market Insurer
Leadership Development Consultant (Current Employee) –  West Des Moines, IAAugust 17, 2016
GuideOne has been a niche market for over 67 years. They have made significant culture and process changes over the past 7 years to help carry them through the future.
Fun and friendly work associates.
Information Analyst (Former Employee) –  West Des Moines, IAMay 6, 2016
GuideOne was a great place to work with free lunches. I used to provide 4 day work weeks but I don't think that is the case any longer. I also made a ton of friends there as the people there took time to invest in friendships that last long both inside and outside of the workplace.
Good place to work until 2009.
Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INSeptember 17, 2015
You hit the ground running when you arrived at work: returning voice mails, reviewing new claims, mail, making calls, etc. There was never a moment when you were looking for something to do except when the computer system crashed.

I learned a lot in my 9 years there: I went from an adjuster of first-party and multi-line claims to a liability adjuster, handling complex auto claims, many involving attorney-represented clients. Determining liability was my favorite part of the job: I love the detail of it and deciding by the data gathered who I felt was at fault for the accident. The more complex an accident was, the more interesting it was to me.

The hardest part of the job is the occasional stress and the workload. I worked many (unpaid) hours just to "keep up" and it still wasn't enough at times. But it was a personal choice I made in order to provide the best possible customer service I could.

I was dependable: I always returned my voice mails and followed up on problems which arose, tracking down a solution to the best end for the customer. My supervisor got few complaint calls about me because I really cared that I did my job well. It was a career, not just a paycheck.
Pros
Good benefits, pay, good management at lower level.
Cons
Workload, office politics
Online Marketing testing
Sr. QA Tester (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IASeptember 9, 2015
In this company we can learn how to manage insurance quote in online. I learn how to interact all kind of critical testing and meeting .
Mostly I like in this company interact every one.
The place which taught me most of the basics
SENIOR .NET DEVELOPER (Current Employee) –  West Des Moines, IAAugust 26, 2015
I have gained a lot of basic things here and it made me face the competitive world with which I have been very successful so far.
Quite place to work and was able to work independently
OFFICE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Edmond, OKAugust 3, 2015
I enjoyed helping the customers solve problems. The respect I received from the customers was amazing. It was gratifying knowing I was able to assist customer with their insurance problems. I big plus was that my customers always ask for me instead of the agent, in some cases.
Pros
Enjoyed helping cusomers
Cons
no advancement along with no benefits or keeping up with the pay scale
ab
Java Developer (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IASeptember 5, 2014
GuideOne Insurance company offers standard homeowner, auto products and personal excess liability coverage. The Insurance project involves the design and development of a Web based application to provide online insurance services. The web application provides functionalities such as policy management, profile management and claim reporting. The client can access complete account information, details about his policy, upgrade to a new policy based on his previous payment history and credit score , track his claim approval status, and Look up for an agent near his area and file for claims. It also involved developing Soap and Rest Based Webservices to allow communications between other modules.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at GuideOne Insurance. Our community is ready to answer.