Guilford County Government Employee Reviews

Non trustworthy
Planning (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCJuly 1, 2018
Have worked for this co for over 10 years the company will not follow through with what they promise even in writing not an ethical place to work for.
Unpaid Internship with Guilford County
Environmental Health and Safety Intern (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCJune 3, 2018
This job was my first internship. Unfortunately, it was unpaid as many internships in Guilford County are unpaid or do not pay a lot of money to students. I had a good time at first, but then my boss was fired and it was a downward spiral from that point on. I wasn't given a lot of work after my boss was fired and coming to work every day was a drag. There was not a lot of work that I was assigned to and I was not being paid for it, so I started doing homework at work instead.
Poor Management
Employee (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCJanuary 10, 2018
This place is very micromanaged. The managers and supervisors SUCK! The manager and supervisor don't allow you to flex your time they expect for you to use to sick or vacation time which is crazy to me. The supervisor can't seem to make decisions for her self. She always has to report to the manager for every little thing. The pay sucks and benefits. They expect perfection out of you, but won't acknowledge it when you do.
Pros
Co Workers
job summary
Income Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCDecember 1, 2017
loved the job. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping clients. The management was not very good at helping workers learn and grow. The hardest part of the job was sending end of benefits to clients. I learned more of how the government works and gives benefits to the public.
Pros
holidays off
Cons
job growth
To many chiefs and not enough Indian's
Programs and training director (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCNovember 9, 2017
Management did not care about the employees and it showed. It showed in the employees work habits and productivity. Their was to much bureaucracy and not enough caring.Everyone did a lot of work but not much got accomplished.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Poor work environment
For starters
Eligibility Worker (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCOctober 16, 2017
Good place to gain entry level experience in human service. Career advancement can take years. Most of the work is sedentary and the morale is very low. The work culture overall needs attention, and pay is not much competitive in relation to the private sector. Workers would be much happier if they weren't overworked and understaffed and given the opportunity to be heard. No work/life balance exists for workers who have families.
Pros
Experience
Cons
High volume and understaffed. Low morale, no incentives.
Guilford County is a good county to work for.
Child Support Agent II (Former Employee) –  High Point, NC 27260July 19, 2017
Working for Guilford County is not your typical work day, something different happens everyday to make the job interesting. The workplace culture is diverse. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the staff become family.
Pros
Having an hour for lunch to help re-group then get back to work.
Cons
Not enough time in a work day to complete different tasks.
REVENUE COLLECTION AGENT (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCFebruary 2, 2017
Stayed busy, did multiple jobs, learned different ways of how to do different task's. Co-workers were friendly. The hardest was learning that I had to ask before I did anything.
great experience
Treasurer (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCJanuary 18, 2017
I was able to move into various positions that helped learn new things. I loved the flexibility and the hours. Great environment.
Pros
support
Cons
no breaks
Friendly and professional atmosphere
Eligibility caseworker (Former Employee) –  High Point, NCNovember 5, 2016
Depending on your position there you have ample space to get your work done. No micro-management unless you need it. Supervisors are as helpful as you allow them to be. The computer system needs work but that is because the county is too cheap to purchase the whole entire program.
The ability to help so many families is a major plus!
Overall work atmosphere is friendly and professional.
Great place to work.
Pros
Benefits, no micro-management, own space to work in.
Cons
Time accumulates slowly. Heavy work load.
Management is unfair
Former employee (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCApril 18, 2016
The Department plays favorites with employees. Its just a bad Department to work in.They don't care about the employees and offer little to no support when issues come up.Management always looking over your shoulder.
Pros
insurance
worse place I have ever worked
Former employee (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCApril 4, 2016
This place wants to work you like you are on a assembly line. Nothing enlightening about this company. The supervisors that I dealt with were not properly trained and they gave absolutely no help when it was extremely busy. You are talked to like a dog whenever they want to. When you walk in to this building, you didn't know what kind of day you were going to have. Usually, always bad
though and they loved to ruin your weekend.

Management, all they way to the top, is terrible, if you have an issue you might as well keep it to yourself because the directors are absolutely crazy.
Pros
insurance
Positive work enviroment
Office Support (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCSeptember 20, 2015
Guilford County Schools continue to strive for educational excellence for all students. Guilford County continues to provide programs and services to students and parents to help promote educational awareness. The county provides a positive learning enviroment for all students.
Pros
I enjoy working with the students and parents, and also community leaders .
I enjoyed my job as a teacher
Teacher, Fourth Grade, Hampton Leadership Academy (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCSeptember 14, 2015
It is a great county to work for. The county trainings were helpful and meaningful to meet the needs of my students and perform my job well.
Great Place to work
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCSeptember 13, 2015
This is an organized school system. They have some conflicting ideas but that is to be expected when teachers and companies try to decide what is best for everyone.
Dealing with tax payers money.
ACCOUNTING TECHNICIAN 111 (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCMarch 5, 2015
I enjoyed my work with guilford county. Everyday was a challenge and we all met positive results as team.
Relaxed environment with professional surroundings.
Pros
Under public microscope.
Cons
Great benefits.
teacher in grades 4, 6, and 8
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Guilford Middle SchoolApril 8, 2014
A typical day of course is preparing to teach my classes.Management was excellent the years I taught there.My co-workers were some of the best.We collaborated excellent together. The hardest part of the job is getting everything done in one day. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the children..
Pros
work environment
Cons
class size
Excellent place to work, loved working with the people
Interim County Manager/Human Resources Director (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCMarch 29, 2014
Very progressive organization, extremely busy which I loved, and enjoyed working with the people.
Pros
Working with management and staff to resolve concerns, training and development.
Cons
Productive and fun place to work
Sr. Office Specialist (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCSeptember 21, 2013
Great place to work....everyone has good attitude and great personalities!
Very nice people
Budget and Payables Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCJune 4, 2012
The citizens of Guilford County voted for school bonds and the county commissioners pay for the debt off the backs of county employees. There has been a freeze on wages for the last 3 years and it looks like that it will be four years. Employee portion of insurance and deductible have increased.
Pros
retirement
Cons
no raises